Going Paleo/Primal/Grain-free in MAY!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Can you explain? I do not have money for the book. I have been using truvia (stevia) and sucralose.
sure i'll get the info about those for you! check the link that someone post a couple before this post it's pretty good, you'll get more info in the comment on that link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Forgive me if I am overbearing- gluten free has made such a difference in our lives I have a hardtime not being a cheerleader- I know taking the whole plunge is hard- been there- but it is soooo worth it. I think everyone should try it at least for a month. Anyway- I also understand that it hard to jump fully in- 90-95 gf is not too bad but to go that full 100% is a challenge- I fought it for a couple of yrs myself.

Anyway= as I said please forgive my zealousness I want everyone to feel great!
Not at all... I really think I need to keep hearing it, I'm struggling so much this time... I did grain-free for almost a year before, I don't know why I'm having such a difficult time this time around. Maybe because I didn't commit to removing sugar at the same time - I should probably do that.

I really do feel so much better when I'm grain-free/SF, but it's such a struggle. I know once I'm into it all the way I'll feel so much better and then it won't be such a struggle anymore. But getting to that point is hard. I did email my acupuncturist - I'd like to get back to seeing her again, she helped so much last time. And I also emailed a friend who does placental encapsulation, and she says that even though it's been in the freezer for 7 mos I could probably still get some benefit from it. So I'm going to discuss these things with DH this weekend (neither is cheap).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#63 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM

cristeen - so glad that I didn't offend you! Like you I have went off and on grainfree- we have been in lots of threads together! I well understand the commitment it takes and how hard that is at times. Actually that has been easier seen being gf. Anyway, how about liver as well? I had liver pills after this baby and ate liver and I think it contributed to my fast mental recovery. I take fClo also and I really think that is a picker-upper as well.

on baked goods I find it better to avoid for me personally but end up making stuff like coco muffins maybe 1 x a week and maybe 2 x at most. I try to make sure I eat other foods first- a good protein- make small batches and do reduced sugar versions when I can.

FairyRae- I had forgot abou the bean muffins! To be honest I was trying to go for easy I bought a Namaste mix then ended up making some more last minute homemade and I didn't have any canned beans anyway.

Life seems to be too busy at the moment between just taking care of 3 kids hs'ing and different activities not to mention family time and cooking 3 meals a day- seems time is short.

We are going out tonight to watch Iron Man likely will go out to eat- I am thinking I will do a chicken salad from a local restaurant that according to a friend is allergy aware/friendly- we'll see!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#64 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Gluten free is the biggest thing for me too. Even when I DO have grains, it's rice or buckwheat or quinoa, mostly the latter.

What the heck is it about wheat, it's weird?! Even my kids..

I am a VERY easy going naturally energetic and calm person now, and it comes naturally. It's funny you mention crunchy your depression/anxiety better sugar/gluten free. I don't know why, but some time ago I remember going through just terrible stress. Always feeling like I'm having to remind myself not to yell, panic, etc. I've always eaten the sugar free whole foods diet but I definately feel a million times better with no gluten, and very little grains. It's not the carbs for me, it's the nastiness I feel after eating bread. Like i said I DO eat a little quinoa, and if we were to dine out I would eat rice, but i would rather not and rarely do.

and i don't ever think it's over zelous or baring to ever be excited and continuously offer the same advice. If you feel good doing something, it's nice to share. Even if someone doesn't agree with it it's good to hear all angles and options and success stories!
#65 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
You get a lot of that credit lil em I'm sure you're the one keepin him going and making the healthful meals. What a good wife and mama.

I don't really have any new and exciting menus. I don't really eat low carb. I mean much lower than alot of ppl and i dont eat grains as a part of my every day but I do love carrots, sweet potatoes, fruit, enormous salad full of veggies, etc. Just from sheer volume of food sometimes I'm closer to 200 carbs a day but it's all fruit/veggies. I have lentils sometimes too i love them. I'm addicted to tomato soup and cauliflower, seriously addicted.
yum, i love cream of tomato soup. are tomatoes high in carbs? looking at canned tomatoes they really arent that high. totally out of curiosity, do you eat lots of sweets or dried fruit, other then fresh fruit? to get to 200 grams of carbs a day, while grain-free seems like quite a feat! i find i naturally want to eat maybe 80-100 grams carbs, in the forms of greens, onions, maybe some fruit etc per day. i do eat a salad daily, but lettuce has almost no carbs. also sometimes i indulge in 85% dark chocolate that is low sugar (green and blacks or lindt). im def not as active as it sounds like you are though, so maybe you just need more carbs. i dont think grain-free has to be low carb, but for me that is a major part of the whole point of eating no grains.
#66 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
Is grain free the same as low carb? because aren't grains high carb foods?
They're not the same thing. But they are compatible with one another.

Low carb is all about knowing how many carbs you're eating in a day and keeping it under a number that induces weight loss for you. But within that number you can utilize sugars/grains/fruits/veg.

Most of us doing grain-free are not counting carbs. Our diets will naturally be lower carb than someone eating a SAD, but if we're eating a lot of produce, beans, or dairy, the carb count may be a good bit higher than someone eating LC. For many of us, our bodies just don't react well to grains. I know I get a much better result in the way I feel when I go GF/SF than when I go LC.

When I was doing LC, I still used grains in small amounts, so long as it fell within my daily allotment. And while I felt better than when I'm eating a lot of grains, it wasn't nearly as good as when I'm grain-free.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#67 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
yum, i love cream of tomato soup. are tomatoes high in carbs? looking at canned tomatoes they really arent that high. totally out of curiosity, do you eat lots of sweets or dried fruit, other then fresh fruit? to get to 200 grams of carbs a day, while grain-free seems like quite a feat! i find i naturally want to eat maybe 80-100 grams carbs, in the forms of greens, onions, maybe some fruit etc per day. i do eat a salad daily, but lettuce has almost no carbs. also sometimes i indulge in 85% dark chocolate that is low sugar (green and blacks or lindt). im def not as active as it sounds like you are though, so maybe you just need more carbs. i dont think grain-free has to be low carb, but for me that is a major part of the whole point of eating no grains.
I don't really eat dried fruit. But if I have 2 big pieces of fruit, tomato soup, lentils and a huge salad and lots of baby carrots it easily is at least 150 carbs. Some days that I dn't workout my calories are around 2500 or a little more. The days I workout actually are much lower carb/calories becaues I time meals around my workout, like I don't wnat to be full of digesting a huge salad near a workout, I eat mostly nuts, nut butters, fruit and a smoothie or something.

ETA: Oh and when i say salad i eat literally like a few POUNDS of veggies, not just lettuce. Like half a head of cauliflower tons of broccoli, peas, cukes or onions/peppers, cabbage etc
#68 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Badger View Post
sure i'll get the info about those for you! check the link that someone post a couple before this post it's pretty good, you'll get more info in the comment on that link.
I read the link from the comments section http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners/ and for stevia and sucralose, it doesn't appear that it's worse and, like he said, there are so many conflicting stories about insulin response and other research that those options don't appear to be worse than real sugar.

I do drink diet drinks sometimes. Mostly, though, I am drinking muscle milk when I am having intense cravings. It has 25g protein and 12g carbs with sucralose as a sweetener.

I don't think I am like most of you. I am almost 300 pounds with a very serious addiction to carbohydrates, esp sugar and my drive to eat carbs can be overwhelming. I really hope someday I can eschew sweet taste all together, but for now, at least, I am using stevia and sucralose foods/drinks when the cravings are too much for me to take. I feel like I am fighting for my life right now.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#69 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM

ps today is 21 days without sugar, grains, tubers, beans or legumes! I don't knwo when it will get easier. It hasn't yet. It feels like my cells are screaming for sugar sometimes, but I take it one day at a time. I feel like I am using the 12 step program, but haven't been to a meeting. I might try and find an OA meeting in my area.

#70 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Hey mamas!

Here's a great paleo/primal recipe that I have to share. It's a revelation!

I've made it with collards and with kale; I cannot speak to how well it would do with more whang-y greens if you know what I mean.

Greens with coconut and curry

2-3 T oil of your choice
4-6 cloves garlic
chunk of ginger (couple of inches of root)
1 tsp curry powder
2-3 pounds of greens, de-stemmed
1 cup stock
1 can coconut milk
salt & pepper

1. Heat 2-3 T of the oil of your choice in a dutch oven over med-high heat, add a diced onion, saute until just beginning to brown.

2. Add 4-6 cloves of garlic and a chunk of ginger, all minced, and the curry powder -- let it go for a minute longer

3. Add a pound or more of de-stemmed greens (kale, collards, mustards, turnips, maybe chard but chard might be too delicate for this recipe), let them saute in the pan until they're beginning to wilt. Stir them around.

4. Add remaining greens, coconut milk, stock, and a little bit of salt. Stir.

5. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Stir occasionally, let it cook for 25 min for more delicate greens (kale, mustards) or up to 45 minutes for tougher greens (collards, etc.).

6. Remove the lid and turn the heat up. Let the excess liquid cook off. That will take 10 or so minutes, and the greens will begin to sizzle.

7. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.

I hope someone else tries it and will join me in my obsession with it!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#71 of 331 Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think I am like most of you. I am almost 300 pounds with a very serious addiction to carbohydrates, esp sugar and my drive to eat carbs can be overwhelming. I really hope someday I can eschew sweet taste all together, but for now, at least, I am using stevia and sucralose foods/drinks when the cravings are too much for me to take. I feel like I am fighting for my life right now.
Don't be so sure about that... when I said upthread that I had gained 30 lbs, the reason that was such a shocker to me is that it put me right under 300. My exact weight is not something I usually discuss, but if it can help you not feel alone in this...

As for the addiction, I am extremely addicted. Hence the brow-beating I was getting from crunchy mama a few posts ago . But for myself, after years of doing low carb, I found that sugar or splenda didn't matter, it still caused cravings. I have to go cold turkey and white-knuckle myself through the first week. Once I've managed the first week, the second week and third week are much easier. And once you get through the first 3 weeks, the rest is a breeze. My biggest obstacle is and always has been my family. Luckily my DH is on board, but when we visit other family members, it's a struggle. And when I was working, peer pressure was also a struggle, in fact that's why I went off grain-free last time was the pressure at work.

And stevia is not allowed in the house, since it's been linked to fertility issues, and we have enough of those.

HTH

#72 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 AM

I started this at 302 I'm now down 87 pounds. You are not alone. Sugar is worse then most drugs because EVERYONE eats it.IT IS EVER WHERE! It is easier i have found to not try to find ok things just cut it out completely. I would find a nut you like instead and have a couple of those instead of the drink.If you need a hand getting a gripe I'm here. I'm win the battle and it feels great, just keep moving!
#73 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Badger View Post
I started this at 302 I'm now down 87 pounds. You are not alone. Sugar is worse then most drugs because EVERYONE eats it.IT IS EVER WHERE! It is easier i have found to not try to find ok things just cut it out completely. I would find a nut you like instead and have a couple of those instead of the drink.If you need a hand getting a gripe I'm here. I'm win the battle and it feels great, just keep moving!
<3

I am petrified that if I try and cut out the fake sugars that I will backslide. I want to try, but I have failed so many times before. My husband had a tonsillectomy this past Tuesday so we have ice cream in the house and it has driven me bat *&%$ crazy to not be able to eat it! Each hour I go without it, I feel like I'm winning, but it is literally an hourly battle.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go sweetener free. Just for tomorrow. One day at a time. I can't say I'll win or lose, but I'd like to rid myself of this. I can't believe how scared I am!

#74 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
My husband had a tonsillectomy this past Tuesday so we have ice cream in the house and it has driven me bat *&%$ crazy to not be able to eat it!
That deprivation thing messes w/ my head. I don't think I could stick to this if I felt deprived (although I totally *get* not indulging in certain things while breaking a habit of eating them--such as carb-rich stuff...)

One 'treat' that I love, that you could totally make 100% sweetener free (but it does contain fruit) is the frosty fruit whip recipe from The Garden of Eating. Totally meets that ice cream craving for me.

Of course I can't find my cookbook right now, but here it is from memory (I'll do my best!!) Sounds complicated at first, but it's actually pretty simple.

Ingredients:

2 tsp gelatin
1/4 cup water (could replace w/ coconut milk for more fatty goodness)

1/3 cup COLD, blended full fat coconut milk.
pinch of stevia, to taste (optional)
around 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (not sure on measurments here--I do it by eye)

1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit (peaches work well, strawberries are great, a blend of peaches and cherries or blueberries is great, anything will work though--experiment!) You can replace 1/2 cup of the fruit w/ ice cubes as well to cut down on carbs.

To make, put the water in a pan, pour gelatin on top, heat until gelatin dissolves. (I stir it w/ a fork a bit to prevent clumping.) In the blender, combine cold coconut milk, stevia (only if using), vanilla extract, and then the warm gelatin water blend, and blend for a moment until smooth. Then add the frozen fruit and blend until smooth. It will thicken--fast, and you may need to add a bit more coconut milk to help it blend in the blender. I do it until all the fruit is blended (I don't like chunks in mine.)

We love it here, and ds and dh call it ice cream. Maybe it can help?? I know fruit isn't always helpful to folks going low carb, but if you did all strawberries (pretty low carb) maybe it would be ok? Also, you could always replace some of the frozen fruit w/ frozen cubes of coconut milk...just a thought!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#75 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
check out this medical doctor's advice on losing weight/gaining control of sugar addiction for those who are having serious problems with their health and weight, i really respect this MD's advice. he suggests some simple ways to stop eating sugar and anything that "tastes sweet" by basically filling up on fats, good fats from real sources.

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...se-weight.html

also this man has gone from being 400lbs plus to about 250lbs first by eating low-carb with fake stuff like sucralose, and now he is only eating real food, no grains, and no sweets, he's pretty interesting;
http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog

one more thing you might enjoy, this book http://www.amazon.com/Life-Unburdene.../dp/097920951X, by a regular guy who lost 150lbs by eating real food, few grains, etc.
heres hs blog- http://www.breadandmoney.com/

in essence, if you are attempting no sugar, no grains and or/low carb, you will need to fill up on a lot of fat. it sounds weird to the unfimiliar, but many MDs are catching on and i know many people for whom this works- see Dr. eades informative blog for info on low carb, high fat eating and health benefits- http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/
#76 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 AM

Just a note on sugar addiction- I would bet most everyone has been there and done that on this thread. I have pulled candy and such out of the trash before to eat. I become a very mean and nasty mom when I go off of it. I won't even discuss how bad it is as it is embarassing. I cannot even have fruit as it incites me I really have to watch myself w/ everything. I have done the detox thing way too many times. Evrytime I have a treat I have to wean off again- it is the devil!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#77 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 AM

FairyRae, thank you so much for that recipe. If it gets really bad, I'm going to use it to help me stay away from the fake sugar as well as the ice cream.

I feel very... cared for right now. I appreciate all of this help. This addiction has been such a private and painful thing for me. I feel so vulnerable and all of you responding so positively gives me strength. This would be so much harder without you. Thank you.

off to read the links...

#78 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
This addiction has been such a private and painful thing for me.
Unfortunately, this is completely normal in our society. A HUGE chunk of our society is addicted, and those of us who are fighting that addiction are isolated and shamed, treated as if it's our fault and something we can just snap our fingers and control. I deal with this with my grandma (as well as the rest of society) - she acts like I can just snap my fingers and drop 100 pounds, and that I'm choosing not to. Yet even trying to discuss dietary changes with her gets her hackles up... as she sits there and feeds me Bisquick and cobbler made with boxed pie crust.

Or I have a friend who, when discussing diet with her, asserts that you cannot eat a healthy diet without grains, period. This from a woman who was raised sugar-free and can't figure out why she's gained weight since college bingeing on sugar and carbs.

It is very isolating to recognize this as an addiction and attempt to change the behavior. In part because the people around us don't want to have to analyze their own consumption patterns and possibly have to admit their own addiction. So instead they spread shame and judgment. The best thing you can do for yourself is surround yourself with supportive people.

#79 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
FairyRae, thank you so much for that recipe. If it gets really bad, I'm going to use it to help me stay away from the fake sugar as well as the ice cream.

Not to step on FR's toes, but just thought I might suggest and even easier 'recipe' that can be thrown together at the last minute if you just suddenly want it!

Just get some frozen berries and put them in a food processor with some coconut milk or heavy cream (or a mixture if you want) and a few drops of vanilla (to taste) and blend...that's it!! It doesn't re-freeze well so only make what you are going to eat at the time, but it really is good!

Keep at it...you are doing great and it WILL get easier. We are all battling our own personal demons and it is easy to get off track but that is why this thread is so good for support/ideas when you need them.

Be gentle with yourself and remember how much you have achieved already!
#80 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I have been *trying* for a year and a half. Could this be real???
Please send some serious sticky vibes my way, primal friends

http://freetheanimal.com/2009/06/not...formation.html

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#81 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I have been *trying* for a year and a half. Could this be real???
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_0824.jpg
Please send some serious sticky vibes my way, primal friends

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#82 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Oh wow, that is fantastic news! I imagine it is really hard to believe after all this time but it certainly looks real to me!!

Hope you have a wonderful, sticky , happy and healthy primal pregnancy!
#83 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM

EEK! Wendy, that's wonderful!
YAY!!!!

Only have a second, heading to the farmers market in a mo.

Doing good, not fantastic this week. I lost a bit in inches (centimeters? lol) from last week which is good. I haven't had grains which is great, but I have done the too much wine several times. :-( And that seems to not trigger cravings or anything, but more hunger than I was having. Like before I would IF till 11 no prob, and then occasionally only have 1.5 -2 meals (not trying for less calories, just going off hunger) and this week it's been more. But I started my period and had a horrible 2 days of just feeling wiped out. So no workout, plus more food, and more nut butter and a little fruit.

Plus side? I had 1/2 a banana, almond butter, cinnamon, and coconut flakes instead of the ice cream I wanted on the 1st day of my cycle. I'm claiming a general win this week.

Mama is still on board. We are focusing on just grain free lower carb this month, June 1-June 15th we are going strict Primal with no alcohol in preparation for our trip to Puerto Vallarte!

And crazy! My dd just got some clothes at a resale thing yesterday and I can wear all of it. She is going to be sooo much taller than me. Most of it was too little girly for me, but the bathing suit I am going to wear this summer, and there was a cotton strappy sundress that I will wear as well. I always forget that with my weird shape size 16ish in girls fits me better than womens clothing. (I am a shorty and a freakishly dramatic pear shape. Like size 6-8 (misses) on the bottom, and maybe a girls m or L at old navy on top.)

I digress and ramble and have to run now. I'll come back later and post my week menu. And have a lovely Mom's Day this weekend guys!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#84 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM

ovenseeksbun, that's so fantastic! it is totally a BFP!

zenzero that does looks easier. It's a great recipe for when the cravings are bad and i want it NOW!

cristeen when you related the story of your grandmother earlier, I honestly thought you were only talking about a few extra pounds. I tend to think of everyone else as beautiful thin and fabulous and me as the dumpy dorothy. I am so sorry if I seemed like I thought I was the only one with issues regarding sugar. i know, even if you aren't obese, you might have a sugar addiction, too. I was really overwhelmed last night when I was posting and I tend to go into self pity mode. It's why I have that signature, so I can remember to toughen up. Thanks for all of your help.

crunchymomma. I wonder if fruit is keeping my cravings going. I'll try the no fake sweeteners and if, after three weeks I;m still having a hard time with cravings, I will stop fruits, too.

organicmidwestmomma, Thank you for all of the links!

#85 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 PM

ovenseeksbun- many congrats!!!!!!

geekgolightly- don't worry we all have those moments! The thing is with the cravings you have to figure out your own triggers and unfortunately that is different for different people. Fruit is not good for me- baked goods even grainfree/naturally sweetened I really, really have to watch. However, I have found some dark chocolate that I love and is pretty low carb/sugar and I can be satisfied w/ about 5g carbs and it doesn't set me off. I have been doing coco milk (sweetened w/ honey) about 1 x a week these days- I seem to be doing ok w/ that for the time being anyway. However, I cannot make a ton as my freezer is relatively small and we all share it as a family so no one person gets too much.

I am not overweight myself, but it is still an everyday battle. It has gotten easier over time especially as I have eliminated certain foods and especially as I have went to a lower carb diet but I still slip- thankfully the cheats have gotten fewer and further between. I know now that when I eat junk I feel like crap and it is less and less worth it as time goes on. Plus, w/ avoiding dairy, gluten and soy it makes it harder to cheat. I still wonder if I am going to slip back into a high carb/sugar lifestyle= I want this to be a forever lifestyle but I worry about that. I know for me it is hard to make concessions like rice every now and again or baked goods because it is a huge slippery slope.

yesterday eats:
sausage(homemade) and couple of eggs
leftover curry w/ "riced" cauliflower
some apple(maybe 1/4-1/2) w/ pecans- sigh - still weaning off of it again- I think today though that I am off of it again!
supper- flank steak and shrimp sauteed w/ red pepper, shitake, onion and homemade coco milk icecream- mint flavor w/ some dark choco chunks in it!

dh and I had our date night, we were going to go out to eat but here is only a couple of safe options and I didn't feel like messing w/ it so we just bought some food and cooked ourselves a nice big feast! It was a nice treat.

Slowly bringing down the carbs this week from the carbfest last weekend and feeling almost back to normal here, thank goodness!

#86 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
lil_earthmomma, what has the doctor said about his IDDM becoming non insulin dependent? Is is HBA1c normalizing? Has he run a fasting lipid panel, before and after?

Sorry if I am too nosy! I am truly curious about what a CW doc would do with this sort of information.
No not nosy! It's actually been quite the struggle.

First, the endocrinologist told us it's not possible. We must be mismanaging his diabetes. So they won't admit that his IDDM is non insulin dependent, as this not something "they" will even consider. He has another HBA1c test scheduled for a couple of weeks from now, so hopefully that will clear somethings up.

I don't know anything about a fasting lipid panel... I will ask.

He still monitors his blood sugar on a regular basis just to be sure. So far, wonderful numbers and he feels so much healthier. Yay!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#87 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm joining the thread, again (!)--I've tried grain-free for us off and on for 6 months now--because I think we're actually doing it now, and I think we can keep it going. And I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from everyone here, realizing that it's not simple and effortless for everyone but me.

We've been gluten and dairy free for almost 3 years now, at first due to my health needs but the kids have shown important improvements too. DH, well, not so much, really not at all, and slowly I figured out that I think some combination of low/lower-carb, grain-free is what he needs. And finally, just in the past couple months, he seems interested and willing to make some effort for this. I mean--guy's done a LOT these past few years, supporting me when I've been sick, it's been a hard time for our family, so I can understand him not having the energy to do even more, even though when we really did grain-free lower-carb (not really LC but lower than typical diets) last fall, he felt really good--but we couldn't maintain it.

But now, he's making an effort, and that makes it a lot easier for me (I'm home with the kids, ages 6 and 4, and I'm pretty much responsible for our food).

My goals for me: cut out added icky sugar (my weakness, still), keep fatty snacks around for when I'm hungry

for DH: consistently grain-free, aim for lower carb (not sure how low is necessary/beneficial for him), lots of green veggies, do it consistently enough to see whether legumes are ok or not

I'm almost done with a weekly routine for our meals--Thursdays are always long days, sometimes Tuesdays as well, practical stuff like that's been tripping me up, but I think I'm about to get the organization thing in hand.
#88 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 03:31 PM

I am joining I come from a family that has a long history of alcoholism and when they weren't addicted to alcohol, it was sugar. The effects are quite bad, too. As in, an entire family that is ill. My mom and all of her sisters (5 girls total) are all sick. They either have heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, liver and kidney problems, rheumatoid arthritis, the list goes on and on. However, they do not see their diet as the problem, just that their problems are hereditary. They are also all under the age of 60

SO...after an illness in my own body about 3 years ago, I decided a change was needed. I have gradually shifted towards paleo/grain free. I am now at the point where I can see what my triggers are. It is actually quite liberating to really be in control of my health in this way.

As far as activity goes, I am a yoga teacher and crossfit devotee I am currently getting ready to start a challenge at the crossfit gym I attend that is 6 weeks long. Workouts are logged, as is food. The diet is strict paleo. Even stevia in moderation. I am hoping the next 6 weeks will really help me get a hold of these last cravings I have. I am also looking forward to this thread and you all being a source of support and recipes

It has really been a long road to get to where I am. I really believe I was in a downward spiral, headed towards death when I got so sick 3 years ago. This diet has helped me so much. It is less about what my body looks like. I'll never wear a bikini. LOL It is so much more about health for me. Encompassing mental health, as well. That is whereI see huge gains recently.

Anyways, I am quite excited to be here

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#89 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
No not nosy! It's actually been quite the struggle.

First, the endocrinologist told us it's not possible. We must be mismanaging his diabetes. So they won't admit that his IDDM is non insulin dependent, as this not something "they" will even consider. He has another HBA1c test scheduled for a couple of weeks from now, so hopefully that will clear somethings up.

I don't know anything about a fasting lipid panel... I will ask.

He still monitors his blood sugar on a regular basis just to be sure. So far, wonderful numbers and he feels so much healthier. Yay!
Ask them to do an FLP and then compare the numbers to what they are now. When you get the HBA1c done, hopefully they will tack this on as well. I think they will be especially interested in the triglyceride levels. And even if the LDL levels rise, I bet the HDL does as well and the ratio is better. I'm just guessing, and if I'm right, those docs will be floored.

My husband is about to embark on my same journey. His FLP has been for crap these past few years, and I think that primal eating will help to reverse his dyslipidemia.

#90 of 331 Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzero View Post
Not to step on FR's toes, but just thought I might suggest and even easier 'recipe' that can be thrown together at the last minute if you just suddenly want it!

Just get some frozen berries and put them in a food processor with some coconut milk or heavy cream (or a mixture if you want) and a few drops of vanilla (to taste) and blend...that's it!! It doesn't re-freeze well so only make what you are going to eat at the time, but it really is good!
That sounds WAY easier--will be trying it w/ coconut milk soon!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page