Traditional Foods families, what do you eat for breakfast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your typical breakfast options?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

We are not completely TF yet. DS was never a breakfast eater until I just started giving him the leftovers for dinner for breakfast. Today he had left over salmon. He does not like my granola that DS and I have, which is oats, soaked seeds, and hemp seeds. I guess that is not completely TF, because of the oats? We eat lots of eggs too.
#3 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM

This morning I had a scramble with pastured eggs, spinach, feta and tomato, warm milk with a touch of honey and chorizo. Yesterday was a sunny-side up egg over roast beef hash. We also eat a lot of plain yogurt with fruit and nuts and occasionally soaked oatmeal, baked oatmeal with dried fruit or sourdough french toast if we want a real treat.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#4 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM

We are gluten, dairy, soy, and egg free.
We eat bacon, sausage, ham, leftover veggies (usually roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries, collards, or kale cooked in bone broth), smoothies, potato or sweet potato hash or home fries fried in duck fat or lard. Almond flour pancakes or muffins.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
We are gluten, dairy, soy, and egg free.
We eat bacon, sausage, ham, leftover veggies (usually roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries, collards, or kale cooked in bone broth), smoothies, potato or sweet potato hash or home fries fried in duck fat or lard. Almond flour pancakes or muffins.
We avoid the same allergens you do. Would you mind sharing your almond flour pancake and muffin recipes?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#6 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM

soaked oatmeal with raisins, cream, and molasses (or yogurt instead of cream).
scrambled eggs with or without veggies
raw milk/egg yolk smoothies (lately with banana) and with a spoonful of buttermilk.
toast with butter (usually with eggs or a smoothie. this is rare, we don't keep that much bread in the house)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Soaked pancakes with real maple syrup, scrambled eggs with soaked bread/toast, and we wash it all down with raw milk.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#8 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 PM

My kids always eat yogurt, maybe some turkey sausage or piece of turkey/ham or bacon. Sometimes fruit.

lately DD has been eating spinach dip with sourdough bread at all hours of the day.

Really we almost don't do "breakfast" type foods unless it's for dinner. I don't know why. Maybe cause we homeschool and the kdis aren't super hungry right away, so they'll have like a little yogurt or maybe small smoothie and then an hour or two later we have like a brunch with lots of stuff.
#9 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
JMJ

In a cast iron skillet, I saute greens in ghee, add eggs until done, then top it with flax seed, cheese, and whole wheat sourdough bread, turn off heat and cover. Wait a few minutes until the cheese is melted, and the bread is done, and flip onto a plate so that the bread is on bottom and the eggs/greens are on top. I tend not to completely scramble my eggs, just pop the yolks so that I can make sure that my 1 year old gets more yolks.
#10 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Hm, well today I had carnitas from last night, with a wedge of organic lime and chipotle sauce made with some yogurt I drained to thicken it up.

We love to eat broth soup for breakfast. At least when the mornings are cool. When it begins to get hot early in the day, cold foods will be more acceptable. I make pancakes and muffins and freeze them for the kids to grab, ds will eat them cold.

If you have some time, and some bread that's going stale, this is a good one - using a beaten egg for each slice of bread, plus a splash of milk, and a sprinkle of whatever seasonings you like, soak slices in egg til they are moist all the way thru. Lay one slice on a buttered skillet set to very low heat, top with cheese &/or meat of your choice, put the other slice of bread on top and cover the skilled with a heavy lid. Let it cook slowly til it's brown on one side, flip and cook til it browns other side and puffs up. A nice way to do this is to assemble it all in a casserole and bake it in a slow oven, but with the weather warming up I don't like to heat up the kitchen.
#11 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM

eggs, rare steak, sauteed asparagus, spinach, bacon, buckwheat pancakes or crepes with assorted toppings or fillings. Today it was cream cheese and smoked wild salmon. We also like nut butters, especially macadamia nuts.
#12 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 PM

oh, also grass-fed yogurt and we used to eat sourdough french toast before we went grain-free.
#13 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 05:29 PM

soaked oatmeal or cream of buckwheat cereal.
Pancakes made with spouted flour
french toast made with sprouted grain bread
scrambled eggs
sausage
yogurt and fruit
kefir smoothies
almond flour muffins

This year dd has been going to preschool 5 days a week, so we've had to adjust to having easy, quick breakfasts. I make muffins/pancakes/french toast ahead of time and freeze it. The other stuff, like scrambled eggs and smoothies can be thrown together in a few minutes.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#14 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM

A mug of raw milk with a little maple syrup in it.

Ive been in a rush this week, starting this weekend, im gonna flip flop between pancakes made with sprouted wheat flour, scramled pastured eggs and pastured uncured bacon and soaked oatmeal with pastured bacon.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#15 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 PM

scrambled eggs with or without veggies, fried eggs, fruit and yogurt, smoothies, leftover pizza(not tf), peanut butter with a banana. DS loves frozen organic blueberries and fried eggs for breakfast. he is dairy free so i cook the eggs in coconut oil. DH leaves the house at 6 am and wont take the time to make himself a decent breakfast, so he eats whole wheat muffins or breakfast burritos that I prepare ahead and freeze, neither are tf...cant get him on the bandwagon DS and I are GF so we just don't do grains in the morning. That and DS isn't a fan of grains anyway.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#16 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
A mug of raw milk with a little maple syrup in it.
That is one of the most delicious things on the planet!

Our standby breakfast is fried or poached eggs on toast (wholegrain, homemade, slow-rise but not sourdough). It's not too expensive - how do you dudes who eat chorizo and bacon and so on every day afford it?! Sounds delicious though!

Today we had smoothies - Greek yoghurt, homemade mango sorbet and cream. It was definitely on the unhealthy end of the smoothie spectrum, as the sorbet had sugar in it and canned mango; in summer we do often have healthier ones though, with strawberries and banana and such. I'm not brave enough yet for green smoothies with flax seed and coconut oil added...

I just planted a bunch of silverbeet (Swiss chard); when that gets going I'll wilt a leaf or two and have it with the eggs and toast. Then I'll feel real classy.

We also do soaked oatmeal from time to time, with cinnamon, raisins, cream and maple syrup. In fact, I should go soak some oatmeal now!

ETA: DH is not a big morning eater. And we don't get up early. Plus, we just got a flatmate so have to start eating dinner at a more respectable hour - 7ish instead of 9ish. So I'm considering only having two proper meals a day - brunch and dinner. In between, at 4ish, I could make smoothies or we could have popcorn or a cup of soup. What do you think? Would that screw with our nutrition in some unforeseen way? I think I need to cut calories a bit - I've gained a bit of weight since having proper breakfast and lunch and dinner, as opposed to my previous method of skipping breakfast altogether. And I usually eat at lunch because it's time, not because I feel hungry.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#17 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM

Tons of kefir smoothies (probably four mornings out of the week), soaked oatmeal, eggs fried in butter with sprouted grain toast, scrambled eggs (which you can add just about anything to), sprouted grain bread with butter and nut butter, soaked pancakes (sometimes, I don't like pancakes), sausage or bacon, and yogurt with fruit.

Looking back over my list it sounds like we have more variety than we do. My DS1 likes to eat the same foods over and over, so we get on kicks where we have the same thing every morning for weeks. I don't have to think too hard and he knows what to expect. Right now we are eating a lot of scrambled eggs with the occasional kefir smoothie. DH has a smoothie every morning before he goes to work, but he often leaves before we are awake so I rarely make him breakfast.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#18 of 28 Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
We avoid the same allergens you do. Would you mind sharing your almond flour pancake and muffin recipes?
Pancakes:

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2009...mond-pancakes/

Can't find the muffin recipe right now, I'll edit when I find it.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#19 of 28 Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 AM

Due to allergies, we are df, ef, gf, sf. So other than meat and ghee, that makes vegan.

So we usually have a super green smoothie,
amaranth or teff with perhaps some black eyed peas or nuts for protein.
yams!
soup
fruit
go for a long walk with the kiddos and eat some wild edibles (free breakfast)
gluten free apple pie (we ate way too much for breakfast the other day but the crust came out so flaky and yummy)
GF muffins full of berries and nuts
#20 of 28 Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Typically breakfast is eggs (scrambled, fried, omelet) sometimes with veggies. I have a latte, kids drink glasses of raw milk. Sometimes we split a piece of fruit. A few times a week I add bacon. Sometimes we use leftover meat and veg from dinner the night before.
DD doesn't care for eggs (except the occasional hard boiled) so she typically does a glass of raw milk, fruit and nut butter. lately she has been going out to the garden, picking strawberries and smearing clotted cream on them.

I am grain free, and while my kids love pancakes, etc, we just really need more protein and fat for our first meal so eggs (in co oil, butter or bacon grease) is our go to option.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#21 of 28 Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Forgot about smoothies, we do raw milk/egg/frozen fruit smoothies as well. And sometimes we do yogurt. ds2 loves yogurt with raw honey

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#22 of 28 Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Pancakes:

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2009...mond-pancakes/

Can't find the muffin recipe right now, I'll edit when I find it.
Thank you!!!

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#23 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

wow you ladies must have a good amount of energy when you wake up! I can't bring myself to cook first thing in the morning...no way! Most things mentioned here are things I might make for lunch or dinner but never breakfast...too much work when I'm still half asleep!

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#24 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 AM

we almost always have some sort of meat usually sausages (turkey with apple, pork, chicken), eggs, cheese, plain whole yogurt with frozen fruit, fresh fruit. occasionally well have homemade hashbrowns.

i have espressos with a couple ounces pastured heavy whipping cream.

my favorite breakfast would be poached eggs over greens and ham with hollandaise but almost never make it.
#25 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM

samy- We don't do breakfast early. If my kids really need food before 10 a.m. they grab fruit or drink some milk or something. Typically, I cook between 10-11 a.m. unless we have to be somewhere. We homeschool, btw.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#26 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM

We eat a quick breakfast, before DD1 gets the school bus; I don't really like to cook in the morning. Most days, we have cold boiled eggs and homemade full-fat yogurt with some kind of fruit. Sometimes we have some leftover bread to toast, or we have soaked oatmeal or some soaked flour muffins. We also drink orange juice in the winter. In the summer, we have an herbal tea.

When there's bacon in the house, we have that sometimes, too, but not often because I can't deal with cooking it first thing in the morning..

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#27 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM

We do a variety of things--soaked oatmeal with butter and dried fruit/crispy nuts, leftovers--specially stir-fries and the like--cheesie eggs, DH's favorite--scrambled eggs with shredded extra sharp cheddar mixed in. I have been on a poached egg kick the past few days. I also really love a cucumber/tomato/cream cheese/spinach and avocado sandwich on sprouted grain bread. OH YUMMY! We tried to go grain free, but have discovered that my diabetes is under better control with some grains, so I make them all whole grains, no white flour/rice/noodles and the like. I also do coffee or tea in the am.

Now my dd LOVES scrambled eggs and will scarf down 3 don in a T+ of butter most mornings. She is 4'10 and 90 pounds, not an ounce of fat on her! Lucky girl )

**Forgot to add** we do smooties a lot in the warmer weather--yogurt, ground flax seed, banana, frozen berries, nut butters, raw yolks...

Married to my best friend mom to dd (16) , DSS (15) and expecting our LO after 6 years!
#28 of 28 Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Lately it's been eggs and sausage, cottage cheese and applesauce - the cc is not terribly TF, but I need the fat/protein to get me through.

Sometimes I'll make egg custards or egg muffins for the week - and now that it's warming up again I need to start doing that again.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page