Mothering Forum banner

Idea for freezing broth - good or not?

916 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JMJ 
#1 ·
I ran across this idea in MEN today, and it seems like a good idea for broth, minus the plastic bag, since I could collect them from friends and family pretty easily, but does anyone know what the coating is on the inside of them?

"Reusable Freezer ContainersYou can make excellent food-quality freezer containers from 1- or 2-quart cardboard milk cartons. Cut off the top of a carton and cut down the sides to form flaps. We have found that they can be reused if the contents are first put into a plastic bag. Remember to leave expansion space for freezing. A closure tab on the cover is optional. Just seal the carton with regular masking tape and a label."

#2 ·
I wouldn't do it without the plastic baggie. I don't feel it would get clean enough.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I freeze broth in ice cube trays and then just dump into pyrex containers.

The use of space isn't 100% efficient but it works for me.
I do the same, but with half-cup portions frozen in muffin pans.

I have used the above tip with soymilk cartons when my little one drank it (pre-TF). It worked well, but the muffin pan "pucks" of broth or fruit/veg puree are much handier.

#5 ·
I did the muffin pan thing for a while too. I like the puck sizes better. But I use the ice cube trays because I can just pop them out without running hot water on the other side, which I thought was a pain because broth's melting point is pretty low and then all the pucks would freeze together - hard.

How do you get around that?

I couldn't just pop my broth out of the muffin tins...

#7 ·
I think it's a pretty decent idea if you don't have a better container (and if you get your milk in those cartons).

#8 ·
I use SILICONE muffin tins for freezing everything. It makes perfect little side dish sizes for the kids and the ease of popping them out in to the freezer bag or container is a plus.

I like it for broth because i make really rich stock, like dilutable and freeze them in 1/4 cup amounts. I can literally make the kids one cup of soup for lunch!

#9 ·
I just fill a glass jar 1/3-1/2 of the way full and freeze it, then come back the next day and fill it some more, repeating this 2 or 3 times until I've filled it not all the way to the top. Then, I thaw out what I need a day or 2 before I make soup or in a pan of hot water if I forget. I've only broken a couple jars as I got the hang of the process, no jars broken in a couple months, maybe 15-20 quarts frozen this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.