stew beef - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good recipes out there for stew beef? I usually make a "normal" stew you know with carrots, celery, etc. I'm wanting a new one
#2 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 PM

You could make it sort of swiss-steak style.

Brown the meat in fat, and set it aside. Then brown some onions, or leeks, or scallions in fat with some sweet (the sweeter the better) red and yellow peppers, and add back the meat, and stock or water, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Then put in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some red wine vinegar, and a bay leaf or two, and let it cook until the meat is nice and tender. Then thicken the sauce if you want to, and salt to taste. We eat ours spooned over crispy roasted potatoes, with some extra veg on the side-- roasted zucchinis are nice.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Brown the meat in fat, and set it aside. Then brown some onions, or leeks, or scallions in fat with some sweet (the sweeter the better) red and yellow peppers, and add back the meat, and stock or water, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Then put in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some red wine vinegar, and a bay leaf or two, and let it cook until the meat is nice and tender. Then thicken the sauce if you want to, and salt to taste. We eat ours spooned over crispy roasted potatoes, with some extra veg on the side-- roasted zucchinis are nice.
Wow Llyra that sounds AMAZING!!!
#4 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

So I made this dish and wow the sauce was delicious BUT my problem was the stew beef was tough Why did that happen? Was I supposed to cook the beef for awhile? I simmered the mixture for about 20 mins I'd say. Help!
#5 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 09:12 PM

stew meat is always made from tougher cuts of meat, because they become nice and tender upon long cooking. I'd say you wouldn't want to cook stew meat less than at least an hour or two, and usually, I'll cook it more like 4-5, because it's really yummy that way.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#6 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
stew meat is always made from tougher cuts of meat, because they become nice and tender upon long cooking. I'd say you wouldn't want to cook stew meat less than at least an hour or two, and usually, I'll cook it more like 4-5, because it's really yummy that way.
WEll that explains it! It really needed a lot more cooking thanks again magelet
#7 of 12 Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/
#8 of 12 Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymae View Post
Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/
MMmmmmmmm that sounds delicious
#9 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

"Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/"

I know this post is old but I was wondering... I want to try this recipe for my family but I calls for hot dried chilies & my son is not big on spicy. Any suggestions for a substitute? I wa thinking of using one small spicy pepper & the 2 fresh bell peppers but not sure. Is there such a thing as a dried not-spicy pepper?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#10 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Here's Argentine stew that you can serve in a cooked pumpkin shell: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/soup/argentine_stew_in_pumpkin_shell_recipe.html

Delish!

#11 of 12 Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 AM

t2009- just don't use a pepper at all.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

t2009- just don't use a pepper at all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up using just one small pepper & was careful to remove all the seeds. It wasn't spicy at all & I think the pepper added some extra flavor -- it was delish (though DS only nibbled on a piece or two, which is alright).

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page