stew beef - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good recipes out there for stew beef? I usually make a "normal" stew you know with carrots, celery, etc. I'm wanting a new one
mom61508 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could make it sort of swiss-steak style.

Brown the meat in fat, and set it aside. Then brown some onions, or leeks, or scallions in fat with some sweet (the sweeter the better) red and yellow peppers, and add back the meat, and stock or water, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Then put in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some red wine vinegar, and a bay leaf or two, and let it cook until the meat is nice and tender. Then thicken the sauce if you want to, and salt to taste. We eat ours spooned over crispy roasted potatoes, with some extra veg on the side-- roasted zucchinis are nice.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
You could make it sort of swiss-steak style.

Brown the meat in fat, and set it aside. Then brown some onions, or leeks, or scallions in fat with some sweet (the sweeter the better) red and yellow peppers, and add back the meat, and stock or water, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Then put in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some red wine vinegar, and a bay leaf or two, and let it cook until the meat is nice and tender. Then thicken the sauce if you want to, and salt to taste. We eat ours spooned over crispy roasted potatoes, with some extra veg on the side-- roasted zucchinis are nice.
Wow Llyra that sounds AMAZING!!!
mom61508 is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
You could make it sort of swiss-steak style.

Brown the meat in fat, and set it aside. Then brown some onions, or leeks, or scallions in fat with some sweet (the sweeter the better) red and yellow peppers, and add back the meat, and stock or water, and bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Then put in a few tablespoons of tomato paste and some red wine vinegar, and a bay leaf or two, and let it cook until the meat is nice and tender. Then thicken the sauce if you want to, and salt to taste. We eat ours spooned over crispy roasted potatoes, with some extra veg on the side-- roasted zucchinis are nice.
So I made this dish and wow the sauce was delicious BUT my problem was the stew beef was tough Why did that happen? Was I supposed to cook the beef for awhile? I simmered the mixture for about 20 mins I'd say. Help!
mom61508 is offline  
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Magelet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stew meat is always made from tougher cuts of meat, because they become nice and tender upon long cooking. I'd say you wouldn't want to cook stew meat less than at least an hour or two, and usually, I'll cook it more like 4-5, because it's really yummy that way.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Magelet is offline  
Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
stew meat is always made from tougher cuts of meat, because they become nice and tender upon long cooking. I'd say you wouldn't want to cook stew meat less than at least an hour or two, and usually, I'll cook it more like 4-5, because it's really yummy that way.
WEll that explains it! It really needed a lot more cooking thanks again magelet
mom61508 is offline  
Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM
 
Mollymae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/
Mollymae is offline  
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymae View Post
Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/
MMmmmmmmm that sounds delicious
mom61508 is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
 
t2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere between here & there
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

"Try this recipe from Mark Bittman if you want something really different - we made it w/ stew beef this week and it was completely amazing. The beef was really tender and the sauce was rich and yummy.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...-braised-beef/"

I know this post is old but I was wondering... I want to try this recipe for my family but I calls for hot dried chilies & my son is not big on spicy. Any suggestions for a substitute? I wa thinking of using one small spicy pepper & the 2 fresh bell peppers but not sure. Is there such a thing as a dried not-spicy pepper?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

t2009 is online now  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
 
rhianna813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon's green valley
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's Argentine stew that you can serve in a cooked pumpkin shell: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/soup/argentine_stew_in_pumpkin_shell_recipe.html

 

Delish!

rhianna813 is offline  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 AM
 
root*children's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the South-East's Worst Kept Secret
Posts: 2,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

t2009- just don't use a pepper at all.


Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

root*children is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
 
t2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere between here & there
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

t2009- just don't use a pepper at all.



Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up using just one small pepper & was careful to remove all the seeds. It wasn't spicy at all & I think the pepper added some extra flavor -- it was delish (though DS only nibbled on a piece or two, which is alright).


Mama to my little busy bee. 

t2009 is online now  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off