Sourdough Starter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my starter yesterday with one cup WW flour and one cup warm water... it is already frothy and bubbly today. I haven't even fed it once. Is it considered ready, or should I feed it a few times before baking with it?

Sara proud mommy to Kaiden 9/24/2004, Carter 4/10/2007 and Anniston 12/4/2009
#2 of 5 Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 PM

It's only been a day, it's not yet ready. I was on KrankedyAnn's site and there was someone saying something about the progression of sourdough and now I cannot find it. I did find this helpful post.

signature currently in transition
#3 of 5 Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

I think it should take 7 days. Everyday you add a cup of flour and some water
#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had mine going for nearly a week now and it's VERY sluggish! Only the faintest something-other-than-flour-and-water smell, whereas previous batches smelled noticeably yeasty and alcoholic. A few surface bubbles, but no rising and falling. Very annoying! Glad yours is getting a move on.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 5 Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 AM

When building a SD starter, it's very normal to see ups and downs in activity levels in the first week. Chances are, you will see a lot of activities in the first two days (especially in hot and humid climate) then suddenly it looks dead. Nothing to worry about, it happens to a lot of new starters. When I built mine a couple of years ago, I really thought my starter was dead by day 4. I kept feeding it and by day 6 it suddenly came to life. By day 7, I made my first loaf and that was a glorious day! My starter has been serving us very well for over two years.

To OP, I don't think the starter is ready if only a couple of days old. It will take a lot more time for it to build the strength. The bubbles built not only on the surface of the starter, but in the middle and the bottom as well. You should be able to smell it too. Just keep feeding it until it will double in volume between 4 - 6 hours. Best of luck!

Al

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page