some questions on cod liver oil--brands, shelf life, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have a whole bunch of questions:

I know most of it is supposed to be kept in the fridge after it's opened...but I'm guessing that means it has a limited pre-opening shelf life too, right? Does anyone know how long it is? As in, if I find a good sale, can I get a bunch and use it over the next 6+ months? Could I freeze some? (I'm particularly thinking of gummies for my kids--I found an amazing sale but shipping here to Alaska is nuts so I want to make a big order...but I don't want it to go rancid!)

What is the point of fermented CLO as opposed to regular? I know WAPF says to get fermented...does that extend the shelf life?

What brands do you love/hate? And why? I have a very sensitive gag reflex, and I don't really like fish...so I can't swallow huge capsules, but I don't like a fishy flavored liquid either.
I want high-vitamin for my kids (because they are taking it primarily for the vitamin D), but i want regular for myself, because I need the omega3s as well as the vitamin D. (We all need D because of living in Alaska, but I have other health things that have me needing the oils.)
Blue Ice is recommended by WAPF, and their gummies are the ones that I found on sale--can anyone tell me what those taste like? As in, I don't want to buy 6 bottles only to discover that my kids hate them

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#2 of 5 Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM

i'll tell you about the gummies since i just bought three jars to get to the 12 item price break.

my kids hate them.

they totally taste like a cinnamon cod liver gummy and it's fine for me since i _know_ i'm supposed to take them but neither of my kids (who _will_ take the clo with a juice chaser) will touch them.

it's fine because it's easier for me than shooting the oil but i'd only buy them if you are willing to use them for yourself.

also, shelf life, is usually two years until opened. we've had a bottle in the fridge opened over the summer (so three months?) because we don't need it as much in the summer and i never noticed a difference in taste or texture. i think they're safe in the fridge opened for at least six months.

if i were you, i'd see if you could find anyone else that's interested to split the 12 item minimum with. when i added the three things of gummies the discount on the rest of the stuff was almost equal to the cost of the gummies. so, for three containers of gummies i only had to pay an additional $10 i think? well worth it.

eh. who needs a signature?
#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM

This thread has some additional info: "I need some advice and thoughts on this CLO".

Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 5 Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Should I refrigerate the Green Pastures CLO/BO mix? I bought it a little over a year and a half ago and have never refrigerated it.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#5 of 5 Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i'll tell you about the gummies since i just bought three jars to get to the 12 item price break.

my kids hate them.
THANK YOU for that. I wasn't finding any feedback about what flavor they were, but my kids arent big on cinnamon and I hate it, so we will definitely go a different route there--no price is good enough if we wont use them!

(nak)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page