Mothering Forum banner

Drying herbs-How do you do it?

561 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JMJ 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right place to put this. I've tried unsuccessfully to dry the herbs I gather and grow, but it just isn't working-they all go bad! My comfrey is ready to be harvested and put into bunches-seriously y'all it's as tall as I am! I'm also growing a lot of aromatics this year-lemon balm, bee balm, things like that that I would like to dry and save. I usually hang the herbs in my kitchen, which doesn't get a lot of sunlight so I thought it would be okay-but everything just went bad on me last year. How you do dry your herbs?

#2 ·
I wonder if there is too much moisture in your kitchen. We've dried herbs in ours but it's very big and open. We actually dry most now in a big porch room that does get quite a bit of sun and it's fine.

#3 ·
I'd suspect too much moisture, also. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can try with an oven on low with the door propped open. But you'd have to be careful not to get it too hot or you'd scorch them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.