Tillamook butter vs. Org. Valley Pasture - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy Tillamook butter quite often since it is a local product for me but since I've been trying to get more nutrient dense food I decided to try Organic Valley pasture butter. When I got it home I was a little disappointed because it really didn't seem that much more yellow than the Tillamook I already had in the fridge. Do you think the Organic Valley really has more nutrients or is Tillamook just as good? It sure is a lot cheaper!!!

Also I read someone else say they buy whichever butter looks the yellowest at the store. Do you peel back the foil and look right in the store before you buy? I thought about doing this but wasn't sure if someone would see me and get upset. TIA

#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 PM

I can't say for sure about nutrients but these are the brands I buy as well. I use the Tillamook for cooking and baking mostly and the Pasture Butter (or sometimes Kerrygold) for spreading. I do think it has more flavor so I hope that translates to nutrients.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 6 Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 PM

The pasture butter SHOULD be better. I wonder if it is based on the season though too. Though we're just in that season now of grass where you would expect pasture butter to be pretty good (ie I read a recommendation to stock butter for the winter during the summer months when there is grass being eaten).

So, I would expect pasture butter to be better. I do buy Tillamook very often, because 1) there are regular, really good sales here, and 2) it's at least better than some other brands of butter.

My mom, as an example, uses pasture butter when the taste really matters like with toast or veggies, but uses other butter in baking and where it is less noticeable. Not as big of a hit financially that way.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 6 Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 AM
kl5

I usually buy the green OV pasture butter, but may stop, due to their recent rules changes about buying milk from farmers who also sell raw milk. Some info here and here, much more available with a search. I have always thought of OV as a relatively local, family farm friendly company and a good alternative to say, Horizon, or other major organic milk producers. But this new policy will hurt farmers and make it even harder for conscientious dairy producers to sustain their way of life. I don't know where that leaves me, honestly. My milk supplier currently only sells milk, but hopefully that could change with increased interest.

ETA: another really good piece on the subject here.
#5 of 6 Old 05-31-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
I usually buy the green OV pasture butter, but may stop, due to their recent rules changes about buying milk from farmers who also sell raw milk. Some info here and here, much more available with a search. I have always thought of OV as a relatively local, family farm friendly company and a good alternative to say, Horizon, or other major organic milk producers. But this new policy will hurt farmers and make it even harder for conscientious dairy producers to sustain their way of life. I don't know where that leaves me, honestly. My milk supplier currently only sells milk, but hopefully that could change with increased interest.

That is really disappointing to hear! I have been choosing OV because they put out lots of $1 off coupons.

#6 of 6 Old 05-31-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post

WOW, I guess I'm in the market for another butter to supplement our raw! Grrrr. Organic is important to me b/c of the choices allowed for disinfection so that is why I usually don't buy Kerrygold or the NZ or Smjor butters. Argh. Time to research I guess.

But honestly I've been very disappointed lately with how pale in color OV Pastured is compared to our Amish grass fed raw butter from Guernseys which is extremely dark.... and compared to what it looked like last year it seems.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page