Going primal/Paleo/Grain-free in JUNE! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 378 Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Lindt 85% is awesome, and has few ingredients (I think it's soy free as well--woo hoo!) And each square has something like 2 grams carbs--20 grams carbs for the whole big bar. Pretty sweet! You can also go for their 70% if that's too dark. For some reason their 90-ish % has *more* carbs than the 85%, so I'm sticking to that.

It's sooooo gooooooooooooood!
Ditto! Tasty- few ingredients and it is one of the actual soy free chocolates out there and super low carb!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#362 of 378 Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney_ View Post
This morning I made almond flour scones for breakfast. I did put butter in them, so I guess they aren't totally primal, but they were tasty . I used about 1 TB of honey for the whole batch.
How do you make those? Also, butter is considered primal around here

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#363 of 378 Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Speaking of almond and coconut flour, I really need to get some. I saw an awesomely easy recipe for pancakes and I want to try them out. My kids love pancakes and I, obviously, can't eat them. If I could make primal ones though...
I saw the 85% at the store yesterday when I bought my other chocolate bar, but didn't grab it. I was too scared Going to work my way up to 85%

oh, and sardines...lots and lots of sardines.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#364 of 378 Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Any recommendations for some great chocolate, as I have a container of raspberries taunting me in my fridge right now
I've been getting trader joe's organic 73% dark chocolate. It's $1.99 for a 3.5 oz bar and has no soy. just cocoa mass, sugar and cocoa butter. it has more carbs than the lindt one a pp mentioned though. 1 square has 3.75g carbs.

this whole not being able to sleep thing i've had going on for the past few days is totally kicking my butt. and my grain free diet. i was so exhausted today (basically i've been awake since 3am) and i ate lots of carbs. i was too tired to cook breakfast so i had a fastfood cheeseburger for breakfast, followed by some tj's paneer tikka masala with rice, chickenstrips, and a big glass of juice for lunch, 2 mini eclairs for a snack, and a couple slices of chicken for dinner. including my 4am snack of cheese and a 1/2 biscuit, my totals for the day are: 2795 calories, 167.7g fat, 215.9g!!!! carbs, 107.7g protein. after i did so good the past 2 days too (under 100g). hopefully i'll get some sleep tonight, and tomorrow i will be very strict. fingers crossed.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#365 of 378 Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
How do you make those? Also, butter is considered primal around here
I did a google search for almond flour recipes, and just kind of made up my own.
I used:

1 cup almond flour
2 eggs
3-5 TB butter (I don't usually measure butter )
~1/4 cup low-temp pasturized, pastured heavy cream
dash of salt and a little baking soda
1 TB honey

I put all of the liquid stuff in the cup of my immersion blender(melted the butter), I added a few prunes with the liquids to make it a little sweeter and pureed it all. I just dropped them onto the baking sheet like cookies and baked them @ 350 for 15 minutes.

I need to play around with the ratios a little bit, they held together well and tasted great, but spread out a lot. Maybe less liquid? I'm not sure.

Mommy to DS (4)
#366 of 378 Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM

brittney--Thanks for posting the recipe...I am just getting more confidence to tweak primal recipes myself.

I am so sore today! Dh and I are planning on doing an easy hike today..hopfeully I can make it!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#367 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 AM

So, I know we've been around this topic time and time again, but I'm getting a little discouraged. I haven't been eating *perfectly* paleo, of course, but I think I've been doing OK-- even on bad days watching my carbs closely, making sure I'm taking in enough protein and fat, and usually checking calories (though I wouldn't say they're my priority or anything). And lately, on my really good streaks, the scale has just been skyrocketing.

I KNOW, I know, that you are supposed to gain weight in your third trimester, but it's not super encouraging to see the numbers on the scale go up, up, up when I'm working hard, and then watch it sink a little or plateau on my carby days. Why is this?!

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#368 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
So, I know we've been around this topic time and time again, but I'm getting a little discouraged. I haven't been eating *perfectly* paleo, of course, but I think I've been doing OK-- even on bad days watching my carbs closely, making sure I'm taking in enough protein and fat, and usually checking calories (though I wouldn't say they're my priority or anything). And lately, on my really good streaks, the scale has just been skyrocketing.

I KNOW, I know, that you are supposed to gain weight in your third trimester, but it's not super encouraging to see the numbers on the scale go up, up, up when I'm working hard, and then watch it sink a little or plateau on my carby days. Why is this?!
That is why I don't weigh myself when I am pregnant..the scale is only going one direction! I only have the standard advice to eat healthy and don't worry. Also, with my last pregnancy I ate TF/paleo and most of the weight came off really fast (people kept commenting on it and I was not excersing or anything extra)..I think because the weight was needed for the pregnancy and gained (about 35 pounds probably; almost 10 lbs of baby) on healthy foods.

#369 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM

B-eggs and co milk/blueberry smoothie
L-chicken/mayo salad in lettuce wraps
D-chicken thighs/zuccini/co milk/green thai curry (add potatoes for family)

Workout- swim laps at gym, walk at park
(I am still sore from my lifting and sprint days this week!)

#370 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Getting back to tracking my food Had a very high cal. day yesterday and was a lb lighter this morning I love PB!

My squat form was a little off, so I learned. Found this on MDA, was thoroughly inspired and amused(Way to Rock ladies!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdwETDQXCw
Yet another reason why I want to get into Crossfit.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#371 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Yet another reason why I want to get into Crossfit.
I love Crossfit ! I'm so glad I started going. I never thought I could lift heavy or workout hard like that, but since I've been going I feel amazing! I have so much more energy and it just feels good to work that hard. I wish I could afford to go more often, but even going once a week and supplementing at home has helped me become much more fit.

Mommy to DS (4)
#372 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM

i love Crossfit! I workout at 6 am and dont even mind the early hour. It's great

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#373 of 378 Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To those of you who have had happier babies from primal eating during pregnancy.....

Did you completely give up Raw Dairy when you were pregnant?

How much fruit did you eat while pregnant?

I have no problem giving up grains and sugar, but raw dairy and fruit are tough for me. However, I've had some pretty tough babies and wouldn't mind some happier ones!

Thanks!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#374 of 378 Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post
To those of you who have had happier babies from primal eating during pregnancy.....

Did you completely give up Raw Dairy when you were pregnant?

How much fruit did you eat while pregnant?

I have no problem giving up grains and sugar, but raw dairy and fruit are tough for me. However, I've had some pretty tough babies and wouldn't mind some happier ones!

Thanks!
i was dairy free completely, due to my own allergy. Fruit, when
i could stomach it, I did not limit.

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#375 of 378 Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 AM

I am sooo incredibly jealous of you guys that have Cf gyms, the closest here is about 2hrs + away. I have tried to do it all on my own, but have found it hard. My big thing now is just trying to up family activity time like the biking and swimming and such.

On pregnancies and dairy- I had dairy perhaps a handful of times my last pregnancy- out of my own weakness. I don't think I tolerate it the best though and as I have 2 kids now that don't tolerate dairy I thought it better to stay off the best I could in pregnancy. I have only trialed butter w/ the new babe(eating myself- not her) and am not certain if it is tolerable for her or not. Still hoping to get back some 24 hr yogurt but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I really, really, really enjoy my happy smiley baby that sleeps!

Food going well here. My cold seems to have passed without too much suffering. Had yummy roasted veggies today- beets, pot, red pepper and onion- yum! Made some macaroon cookies last night for a treat and everyone enjoyed them.

I am feeling like I need to get more veggies in the diet though. I haven't been good about greens, in well, way too long. I think I need to try juicing again or something- perhaps green smoothies- will have to see what I tolerate the best.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#376 of 378 Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM

Hm...seems like we're going to need a new thread.

Just checking in. Ate at the Olive Garden last night and got Chicken Marsala, which came with roasted peppers, onions, and potatoes (no pasta, no cheese, score!!). It was GOOD.

Heading out of town for the weekend with my in-laws tonight. Not holding on to too many ideals of *not* cheating, but we'll see. Happy 4th, everyone!

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#377 of 378 Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Uhoh did I miss the July thread already

Can I just sing the praises of dark chocolate and raspberries? It is amazing!!

I had 1 square last night, my boys each had a square and about a handful of berries. NOM NOM NOM. My oldest was asking for more.

Sticking with grain-free as I can, and low carb (not much fruit, but some at least!)

With that in mind - popcorn. How do I consider it? In or out? I make it on the stovetop in a kettle and love it with butter, S, and even some cheese too. Do I have to take it out of my life?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#378 of 378 Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started a new thread. As for popcorn, I find that it definitely causes me to gain weight and feel yucky but... I may have a corn intolerance or something.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page