Going primal/Paleo/Grain-free in JUNE! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting irritated. I keep hearing of people losing 10-15lbs within the first month of gong primal and I only lost 5lbs. My body hasn't changed much, though my skin looks better and I have less allergy symptoms. I'm trying so hard not to get wrapped up in the weight issue! I mean, its not enough to make me want to go back to eating grains, it just makes me want to head into the chronic cardio realm.
AHHH Talk me down! I started at 5'2, 135lbs, now 130. I would ideally like to lose another 10-15lbs, but its a bonus not a focus. I find my focus switching to that though, ALL THE TIME! I need to throw out my scale.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
I'm getting irritated. I keep hearing of people losing 10-15lbs within the first month of gong primal and I only lost 5lbs. My body hasn't changed much, though my skin looks better and I have less allergy symptoms. I'm trying so hard not to get wrapped up in the weight issue! I mean, its not enough to make me want to go back to eating grains, it just makes me want to head into the chronic cardio realm.
AHHH Talk me down! I started at 5'2, 135lbs, now 130. I would ideally like to lose another 10-15lbs, but its a bonus not a focus. I find my focus switching to that though, ALL THE TIME! I need to throw out my scale.
Because you're starting at such a low weight, the loss will be less. The first month of losing on low carb relates to the water weight that's lost with lack of carbohydrate intake. At 295 lbs, I had more water weight than you, I assume. I lost 10 pounds the firs month, and 5 the second.

Instead of chronic cardio are you doing the sprints/HIIT/weight lifting with long walks as well?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM

long walks, check
bodyweight training, check
sprints and HIIT, not checked
I have been running on the treadmill, doing the 100 push-up program and the 200 squat program. I should start sprinting again, I do so enjoy that The weather is nice today, so maybe I'll go do some sprints!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I want to do the squat and push up program! I love the idea of being super strong like that. I need to start with exercise again. I was really enjoying myself following NROL a couple years ago.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

neverdoingitagain, thanks for the idea! I googled and found the squat program. I am going to start with this one and then add more later on when I am comfortable with doing 200 squats a day. It's so exciting!

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/test.html

and primal wise, I am pretty comfortable these days following a primal diet. I had some tequila a couple days ago and it didn't trigger anything, even though I thought it might. I think I'm ready to start allowing myself super dark chocolate as a treat. I haven't done it yet, but I'm considering it.

Tonight I'm making roasted brussel sprouts and having leftover stuffed portobello mushrooms. My husband found the recipe and it's completely primal. Not the tastiest I've ever had, but still pretty good.

I think the bombay beef curry someone posted here looks amazing and I'm going to try that out next week.

I also went ahead and cribbed the pork tenderlion with cherry and wine sauce. I do not recommend coconut flour. For the second set of tenderlions (I buy in bulk on sale) I just cooked it with coriander, salt and pepper rather than flour as well, and I thought it was much better.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

cool! I love these programs, I wish I had a pull-up so I could attempt the 25 pull-up one. I'm hoping the 100 pushup program will increase my strength enough for me to do at least one
Kick butt and take names Geekgolightly

Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

oh! Sorry for the multiple posts, but I thought you guys might like this. My vegan friend posted this recipe. She's a junk food freak, who works hard to eat healthy junk. This one looks YUM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXXGDISnOg

Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM

As far as working out goes, I just wanted to share what I've been doing as I really like it and feel great doing it, and it doesn't take too long (which is great being a mama!)

1x a week, 4 rounds of tabata, doing: push ups (however I can manage, many on my knees), squats (holding weights), pull ups (I'm borrowing my sis' pull up bar), and lunges (holding weights).
(16 minutes--I've got a sweet mp3 I'd be happy to email to anyone that has the intervals marked for 4 tabata sessions)

1x a week, 1 round of tabata burpees (4 minutes--I really like tabata b/c it feels so efficient to me...)

1x a week, sprinting (loosely as described in this post --a/b 10 minutes or less--I do these outside while playing w/ ds in a big field behind our apt which ROCKS for sprinting!)

vinyasa yoga 1-2x a week (anywhere from 20 min to 1.5 hours--averaging around 40 min though)
pilates 1x a week (20 minutes)
lots of activity/play w/ ds, playing outside and going for walks--nothing too strenuous though

I don't count yoga/pilates as part of the working out--more as extra, slow/steady movement, and for fun (I LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga!). I also just do it when I can find the time depending on how ds is doing/what he needs. And I count lifting 40 lb ds as 'lift heavy things' along w/ the tabata stuff (I'm lifting my own body weight there--that's good enough for me!) I really go based on what I feel like doing that day though.

Just wanted to share.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 06-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Hey all... delurking here (at least in this thread). I bought the Primal Blueprint last week after reading about it here. DH is already very low grain (he did a 21 day yeast thing and has just kept up that style of eating), and I don't eat a ton, so this seemed like a logical progression. Today's only day 4, but I'm looking forward to seeing how I fare. I want to lose weight, definitely, but I'm more interested in becoming fit for the first time since... um, middle school... and also hoping that bringing down the inflammation in my body can help stem the tide of arthritis and joint pain, especially knees, that seem to plague my family.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Not good, not good- ate a great breakfast, and then dd wanted to get "coffee" (steamed whole milk) so I got a tall latte and drank half. Then I ate two bites of gluten-y scone. Arrrggg.

Going to have a spinach salad for lunch and eat a healthy dinner. I just started my cycle, so that's probably what's going on. Definitely annoying though- I avoided gluten for eight months, so why the heck am I all over it now?

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
neverdoingitagain, thanks for the idea! I googled and found the squat program. I am going to start with this one and then add more later on when I am comfortable with doing 200 squats a day. It's so exciting!

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/test.html
this looks very interesting. i really need to start exercising, again. constant low level activity i've got covered (with 2 little ones i feel like i never get to sit). but i need to add lifting heavy stuff (unless a 40lb kid counts? ) and sprinting. though sprinting may just not happen right now. picture a huge 6+ months pregnant woman sprinting! My stomach would create its own G-forces. but squats and pushups i can do.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM

i was reading the 'why go primal' thread and someone mentioned 'low carb flu'. what is that? is it an initial phase of feeling yucky/low energy? because that's sure been how i felt this week. my first couple days of grain free i felt great, then there was a vacation interval where i did eat more carbs (but still way less than usual), and then the past 5 days i've been back to eating grain free/no carb, and i've been tired and blechy all week. i sure hope this passes soon.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
i was reading the 'why go primal' thread and someone mentioned 'low carb flu'. what is that? is it an initial phase of feeling yucky/low energy? because that's sure been how i felt this week. my first couple days of grain free i felt great, then there was a vacation interval where i did eat more carbs (but still way less than usual), and then the past 5 days i've been back to eating grain free/no carb, and i've been tired and blechy all week. i sure hope this passes soon.
Yeah, alot of people experience flu-like symptoms shortly after restricting carbs. I know it's often attributed to die off of yeast and other bacteria in the gut, but I'm not sure what else it involves. The first time I went grain-free (and sugar free and dairy free and low carb, all at once, when DS2 & I had thrush), I woke up on day 5 and started puking and feeling shaky. Shortly after, my weight plummeted from 130 to 112 in like, two weeks. Sigh. I want that back.

I haven't felt that way this time mostly, I guess, because I've been allowing more fruits and veg carbs because I would rather not have a huge detox while I'm pregnant.

Anyway, I really think it gets worse before it gets better--hang in there, I bet you'll be over the hump soon!

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
Yeah, alot of people experience flu-like symptoms shortly after restricting carbs. I know it's often attributed to die off of yeast and other bacteria in the gut, but I'm not sure what else it involves. The first time I went grain-free (and sugar free and dairy free and low carb, all at once, when DS2 & I had thrush), I woke up on day 5 and started puking and feeling shaky. Shortly after, my weight plummeted from 130 to 112 in like, two weeks. Sigh. I want that back.

I haven't felt that way this time mostly, I guess, because I've been allowing more fruits and veg carbs because I would rather not have a huge detox while I'm pregnant.

Anyway, I really think it gets worse before it gets better--hang in there, I bet you'll be over the hump soon!
I haven't felt shaky or pukey, just tired. maybe because i've been eating a fair amount of fruit and veg carbs. though i would hope since i've been detoxing for 4+ years, I wouldn't have too much left. I'm pregnant too, and don't want a huge detox right now either. I am feeling a bit better today, so hopefully I'm over the hump.

I was feeling quite hot and wanting something cold, but instead of reaching for the icecream I made myself a smoothie. I even put spinach in it, a first for me. I put in 1 cup, couldn't even tell it was in there. I usually don't put in ice, but this time I did because I wanted it extra cold and refreshing and more volume than substance. It totally hit the spot. Though I did find myself wanting something salty afterwards. So I had a few macadamias. I can't believe it's 3pm and I feel good and energized. Not quite sure what to do with myself, this is usually naptime. Maybe I should try *gasp* exercising!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I haven't felt shaky or pukey, just tired. maybe because i've been eating a fair amount of fruit and veg carbs. though i would hope since i've been detoxing for 4+ years, I wouldn't have too much left. I'm pregnant too, and don't want a huge detox right now either. I am feeling a bit better today, so hopefully I'm over the hump.

I was feeling quite hot and wanting something cold, but instead of reaching for the icecream I made myself a smoothie. I even put spinach in it, a first for me. I put in 1 cup, couldn't even tell it was in there. I usually don't put in ice, but this time I did because I wanted it extra cold and refreshing and more volume than substance. It totally hit the spot. Though I did find myself wanting something salty afterwards. So I had a few macadamias. I can't believe it's 3pm and I feel good and energized. Not quite sure what to do with myself, this is usually naptime. Maybe I should try *gasp* exercising!
Yeah, I hear ya. I've been making efforts toward a grain-free diet for a few weeks, but really buckled down this week and today was really low energy(yesterday was great, though!). I really just feel like I could go to bed for the night. Hoping things start looking up after this. I DO, however, feel more even-keel emotionally. Like I'm just alot less likely to snap at the boys.

I've also been relying on too much processed meat for the sake of convenience, in an effort to prevent myself from caving for chips, fries, crackers, etc.--which HAS helped, but I'm sure it's not helping with the tiredness.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM

So far so good.

before breakfast: tbsp coco oil, 2 brazil nuts
B: smoked salmon omelet, 2 strips bacon
L: BAS, w/ kale, romaine, sprouts, beets, cukes, cherry toms, flank steak and dressing with flax oil, olive oil, garlic and acv
D: butter topped buff burger and roasted broccoli.

I'm surprised at how easy this has been so far. I just wish popcorn wasn't on the banned list!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Here's me for the day. Near disaster this morning, but I fixed it later.

B: scrambled eggs, pastured breakfast sausage
S: half a tall vanilla latte, two bites strawberry scone
L: Spinach salad (spinach, egg, bacon w/bacon fat and vinegar dressing)
D: Large salad with chicken, pecans, lettuce, tomato, etc, a few snow peas from the garden, a cup or so of watermelon
S: strawberries, 85% chocolate

I think I need to incorporate more beef or start supplementing iron soon. I've been feeling a bit sluggish lately, just like when I get a little anemic, and for whatever reason, I'm very prone to anemia. Good excuse for steak, you know?

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
If it makes you feel better, I haven't lost any weight either and I've been eating primal for about a month. I was hoping to get down to around 140 (currently 160, 25% BMI). Also, my skin has gotten WORSE (I'm hoping it's a detox thing). I do feel like I have toned up a bit and lost a bit of belly fat, but it's so frustrating when those darn scale numbers just won't drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
I just wish popcorn wasn't on the banned list!
My DH and I just can't quite give up the popcorn . I keep telling myself it's a great way to get in some extra good fat because I put so much butter and coconut oil on it. I am trying to eat less, though. But it sure is tasty . . .

I love the idea of doing the squats and pushups programs. I will have to check those out tonight!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 AM

still sick here

grok found a beehive yesterday thank goodness because honey and fruit are saving my throat.

I (finally) made an herbal cough syrup yesterday for my dry unproductive cough and I am feeling so much better today. Still coughing but it's all broken up. I am really pleased at how well it worked (licorice, plantain, lemon balm, red clover, and thyme) with lots of honey and some liquour which helped me sleep much better last night.

My belly looks all poofy this morning from all the extra carbs after it had gone down from my first serious primal week. Can't wait to get over this and refocus.

Still wondering if this can qualify as low carb flu.....sore throat and cough?? It's strange though because my ds and dh don't have it and ds usually catches everything first. I had lots of this stuff when I was little though (strep, bronchitis, even mono for a whole year) and I've heard that when healing you can revisit past sicknesses briefly as part of the process.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM

It's been a good day so far, considering I've been up since 4:30 am!

B: omelet w/onion, mushroom, green pepper, cheddar, 3 sausage links, 12 oz coffee with a Tbsp whole milk
L: big plate of garlicky liver and onions that I'm chomping on right now
D: will be another round of the Beef Bombay Curry! Can't wait!

DH and I are also going to drink a bottle of red wine tonight, and I'll have some dark chocolate with that. I've cut myself back to only wine on Saturday and can't wait for the treat!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM

yesterday was definitely better. i still had energy through the afternoon, i did the initial tests for the 200 squats and 100 pushups (managed 30 squats, I was so proud of myself. But only 5 push ups ). I was very tired by 8pm though, went to bed early at 9pm. Today I feel pretty good, but not very hungry. Which is a change from this whole past week. So far I've eaten:

B-1 large Italian sausage, 6 roasted asparagus spears, 1/2 cup blackberries.

L- Salad: 2cup spring mix, 1 baby zuke, 6 spears roasted asparagus, 2 raw mushrooms, 1 chicken thigh, 8 baby mozzerella balls, 2tbsp olive oil and vinegar, 8 candied pecan halves. 2 squares rapunzel 55% chocolate, 1/2 cup raspberries.

This has only added up to just over 900 calories, I'm sure I'm going to need a snack this afternoon. Gotta plan something now, so I'm ready with a healthy snack. I am feeling kinda tired right now, probably cause I need to eat something. I just don't really feel like eating right now.

eta:

S- smoothie: 1/2 cup maple yogurt, 2 tbsp coconut milk powder, 2 cups spinach, 1 cup raspberries. drank about 3/4 of this. 1/3 cup macadamias.

D- ate out at a taqueria. Had 3 soft tacos (I meant to only eat half the tortillas, but ended up eating them all) and a salad I brought along, 2 cups spring mix with 1/2 an avocado and homemade dressing.

S- 1 square rapunzel 55% chocolate

I ate 138g carbs today. so not too bad overall. I'm totally addicted to this thread. Coming here and fessing up to what I ate and getting ideas from what other people are eating is totally keeping me going right now. So thank you for putting up with my rambles.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM

Hey--how are you preggo primal mamas doing out there? My sister is around 7 wks preg. (this is her first! ) and has been mostly primal/grain free for 6+ months. She is having lots of food aversions, and is craving lots of carby foods. (She's sticking to eating mostly fruit and some gf cereal when she does eat--EVERYTHING is grossing her out right now--including most of the meat/eggs that were a bulk of her diet b/4...) Any tips for a primal pregnant mama w/ food aversions and sudden strong carb cravings that I can share w/ her? I just keep telling her to try and stick to real foods and do what she can and not worry too much about it. She is faithfully gluten free b/c she does NOT tolerate gluten at all, so that is a really good thing...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 AM

It's not ideal, FairyRae, but could she try potatoes or tapioca? Chebe breads are awesome for starchy cravings and are totally tapioca based. The bread mix has milk, but the others are fine, I think....

Today was a good day- still continuing to crave gluten which is odd, but I was incredibly cranky today and realized in hindsight that I always get insanely cranky when I eat gluten. It's annoying and a good reason to abstain. Still, today was a very fruity sort of day for whatever reason.

B: Bacon, watermelon

L: hardboiled egg, handful of cherries

D: one sip strawberry lemonade from work (no HFCS, just fruit juice and sugar but still high in carbs and sugar), Fuji Apple chicken salad- hold gorgonzola, add avocado and bacon- big ass cup of tea

S: handful of strawberries, 3 squares of 85% chocolate

I'm looking through MDA this evening trying to find some more yummy recipes ala that killer tomato, cabbage, sausage thing that I'm addicted to. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm dying for a casserole or something.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
I'm looking through MDA this evening trying to find some more yummy recipes ala that killer tomato, cabbage, sausage thing that I'm addicted to.
i've been tempted to try that recipe, but haven't yet. sounds like it must be really good. unless, the one i'm thinking of is called tomato, cabbage, and meatballs?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 AM

Yep, that's the one. It is so incredibly good.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Hey--how are you preggo primal mamas doing out there? My sister is around 7 wks preg. (this is her first! ) and has been mostly primal/grain free for 6+ months. She is having lots of food aversions, and is craving lots of carby foods. (She's sticking to eating mostly fruit and some gf cereal when she does eat--EVERYTHING is grossing her out right now--including most of the meat/eggs that were a bulk of her diet b/4...) Any tips for a primal pregnant mama w/ food aversions and sudden strong carb cravings that I can share w/ her? I just keep telling her to try and stick to real foods and do what she can and not worry too much about it. She is faithfully gluten free b/c she does NOT tolerate gluten at all, so that is a really good thing...
Oh, early pregnancy is so hard. Does she do dairy at all? Yogurt might be a good option, as are smoothies (which, obviously, don't have to include dairy). I definitely relied on potatoes to get me through alot of starch cravings, and still do, really. Homemade oven fries, hashbrowns (can help get some eggs down!), or cooked in with stews--even if it's just enough to help stomach some chicken or whatever. Bananas, too. It isn't ideal, but it IS better than a first tri. filled with fast food or other junk. It is certainly not the time to beat yourself up about a less-than-ideal paleo diet. HTH!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
As far as working out goes, I just wanted to share what I've been doing as I really like it and feel great doing it, and it doesn't take too long (which is great being a mama!)

1x a week, 4 rounds of tabata, doing: push ups (however I can manage, many on my knees), squats (holding weights), pull ups (I'm borrowing my sis' pull up bar), and lunges (holding weights).
(16 minutes--I've got a sweet mp3 I'd be happy to email to anyone that has the intervals marked for 4 tabata sessions)

1x a week, 1 round of tabata burpees (4 minutes--I really like tabata b/c it feels so efficient to me...)

1x a week, sprinting (loosely as described in this post --a/b 10 minutes or less--I do these outside while playing w/ ds in a big field behind our apt which ROCKS for sprinting!)

vinyasa yoga 1-2x a week (anywhere from 20 min to 1.5 hours--averaging around 40 min though)
pilates 1x a week (20 minutes)
lots of activity/play w/ ds, playing outside and going for walks--nothing too strenuous though

I don't count yoga/pilates as part of the working out--more as extra, slow/steady movement, and for fun (I LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga!). I also just do it when I can find the time depending on how ds is doing/what he needs. And I count lifting 40 lb ds as 'lift heavy things' along w/ the tabata stuff (I'm lifting my own body weight there--that's good enough for me!) I really go based on what I feel like doing that day though.

Just wanted to share.
This sounds perfect, and very close to my ideal workout schedule (you know, that one I'm not doing righ tnow. )

I would LOVE your mp3 linky, pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Hey all... delurking here (at least in this thread). I bought the Primal Blueprint last week after reading about it here. DH is already very low grain (he did a 21 day yeast thing and has just kept up that style of eating), and I don't eat a ton, so this seemed like a logical progression. Today's only day 4, but I'm looking forward to seeing how I fare. I want to lose weight, definitely, but I'm more interested in becoming fit for the first time since... um, middle school... and also hoping that bringing down the inflammation in my body can help stem the tide of arthritis and joint pain, especially knees, that seem to plague my family.
Welcome! I'll tell you, I have had loads of joint issues since childhood (minor, not awful, but persistent and increasing)that have really lessened with this diet. My mom, also, had started suffering from some arthritic symptoms and is doing so much better since going primal. We were talking last night and she really is now at the point where she works her fingers in the evening to avoid some stiffness, but never gets the constant throbbing pain she was living with before. She's also not that old at all , 51, so she now has some hope to keep that at bay a lot longer! Oh, and she was able to step out of the pool from the deep step in the deep end, with no problem for the first time in I don't know how long. She just stepped out and then looked down and was like, "waitaminute."

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
So far so good.

before breakfast: tbsp coco oil, 2 brazil nuts
B: smoked salmon omelet, 2 strips bacon
L: BAS, w/ kale, romaine, sprouts, beets, cukes, cherry toms, flank steak and dressing with flax oil, olive oil, garlic and acv
D: butter topped buff burger and roasted broccoli.

I'm surprised at how easy this has been so far. I just wish popcorn wasn't on the banned list!
Good sounding day! And I miss popcorn too, but not the spiral of carb cravings that come with it. I will probably occasionally indulge in some good popcorn with butter and coco oil, nutritional yeast, sea salt... When I am at my goal and feel like it won't completely derail me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Here's me for the day. Near disaster this morning, but I fixed it later.

B: scrambled eggs, pastured breakfast sausage
S: half a tall vanilla latte, two bites strawberry scone
L: Spinach salad (spinach, egg, bacon w/bacon fat and vinegar dressing)
D: Large salad with chicken, pecans, lettuce, tomato, etc, a few snow peas from the garden, a cup or so of watermelon
S: strawberries, 85% chocolate

I think I need to incorporate more beef or start supplementing iron soon. I've been feeling a bit sluggish lately, just like when I get a little anemic, and for whatever reason, I'm very prone to anemia. Good excuse for steak, you know?
Always a good reason for steak! Also, have you tried Floridix? Really saved my butt when I suffered from anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
still sick here

grok found a beehive yesterday thank goodness because honey and fruit are saving my throat.

I (finally) made an herbal cough syrup yesterday for my dry unproductive cough and I am feeling so much better today. Still coughing but it's all broken up. I am really pleased at how well it worked (licorice, plantain, lemon balm, red clover, and thyme) with lots of honey and some liquour which helped me sleep much better last night.

My belly looks all poofy this morning from all the extra carbs after it had gone down from my first serious primal week. Can't wait to get over this and refocus.

Still wondering if this can qualify as low carb flu.....sore throat and cough?? It's strange though because my ds and dh don't have it and ds usually catches everything first. I had lots of this stuff when I was little though (strep, bronchitis, even mono for a whole year) and I've heard that when healing you can revisit past sicknesses briefly as part of the process.
Yay honey! I love honey. We get raw local honey and I figure in small amounts (when I am not actively trying to lose weight, etc) that's pretty primal as far as sweeteners go. I have been having a tsp in my tea at night for my allergies.
And as far as carb flu goes, this may not be carb flu per se, but it's common to have your body give up and get sick when you start this. I got sick last fall when I first went low carb and got a really bad bladder infection. I think my body was stressed to the limit as far as immunity goes and then going through detox just sort of gave it the ok to go ahead and let go. I got over it, and have been doing fine since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
It's been a good day so far, considering I've been up since 4:30 am!

B: omelet w/onion, mushroom, green pepper, cheddar, 3 sausage links, 12 oz coffee with a Tbsp whole milk
L: big plate of garlicky liver and onions that I'm chomping on right now
D: will be another round of the Beef Bombay Curry! Can't wait!

DH and I are also going to drink a bottle of red wine tonight, and I'll have some dark chocolate with that. I've cut myself back to only wine on Saturday and can't wait for the treat!
I am on a no alcohol thing until the 15th when we go on vacation. But after that, I think I may start having a dry week every month. Hubs and I have done the weekend only thing before, but I tend to like to have a daily thing that I do, and I think it will be more sustainable for me to relax and enjoy for a couple weeks, and then "reset"

Quote:
yesterday was definitely better. i still had energy through the afternoon, i did the initial tests for the 200 squats and 100 pushups (managed 30 squats, I was so proud of myself. But only 5 push ups ). I was very tired by 8pm though, went to bed early at 9pm. Today I feel pretty good, but not very hungry. Which is a change from this whole past week. So far I've eaten:

B-1 large Italian sausage, 6 roasted asparagus spears, 1/2 cup blackberries.

L- Salad: 2cup spring mix, 1 baby zuke, 6 spears roasted asparagus, 2 raw mushrooms, 1 chicken thigh, 8 baby mozzerella balls, 2tbsp olive oil and vinegar, 8 candied pecan halves. 2 squares rapunzel 55% chocolate, 1/2 cup raspberries.

This has only added up to just over 900 calories, I'm sure I'm going to need a snack this afternoon. Gotta plan something now, so I'm ready with a healthy snack. I am feeling kinda tired right now, probably cause I need to eat something. I just don't really feel like eating right now.

eta:

S- smoothie: 1/2 cup maple yogurt, 2 tbsp coconut milk powder, 2 cups spinach, 1 cup raspberries. drank about 3/4 of this. 1/3 cup macadamias.

D- ate out at a taqueria. Had 3 soft tacos (I meant to only eat half the tortillas, but ended up eating them all) and a salad I brought along, 2 cups spring mix with 1/2 an avocado and homemade dressing.

S- 1 square rapunzel 55% chocolate

I ate 138g carbs today. so not too bad overall. I'm totally addicted to this thread. Coming here and fessing up to what I ate and getting ideas from what other people are eating is totally keeping me going right now. So thank you for putting up with my rambles.
You are doing great. I have never been that good during pregnancy, so kudos to you!!!

Yesterday-
I got up early and had one latte with raw 1/2 and 1/2, went to the farmers market with my mama, and then came back to my house and made her some brekkie.

B-another latte (i like my lattes!) and 3 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs

L-spent the rest of the day at moms house by the pool, had lots of cold mineral water, 1 slice almond crust pizza, salad with local olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a couple blueberries I snatched from the kids plates.

D- cranberry/lime cooler, grilled wild salmon, green beans w butter, red potatoes with garlic butter (I haven't been doing potatoes, but these were worth it! Local, with good butter and garlic and I only had 2-3 little ones.) homemade pickles, and tomato with more of that olive oil and vinegar, and fresh basil.

Later before bed I had a cup of tea with 1 tsp honey. I found a really nice tea from Stash called "Mellow Moments" I think. It's so tasty and satisfying, I have looked forward to a cup of tea at night! I was going to allow myself one glass of red wine with my hubs Friday and/or Saturday this week but didn't even want one, drank this instead!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Okay, so the last few days have been a little iffy. A good friend of mine sent me a gift basket of amazing gluten (but not grain)free cookies. I had to try them. I am really doing this whole paleo thing for my allergies and that's about it! Well, I had some the other night and my allergies have been suffering ever since. Even fresh corn seems to bother me. I know I should totally give up the grains, but it's so hard cooking for everyone. I run out of meal ideas. I'd like to not eat meat every day all day because of the cost, and find other alternatives..but what are there? I even ate quinoa the other night(since it's technically not a grain) and my allergies flared up big time. I don't have a problem eating beans really but I need some good recipes! Not really actively trying to limit my carbs since I still eat a fair amount of fruit, but probably are eating in the 70-175 range depending on how primal I feel like being. Suggestions? Yesterday was a good day for food mainly because I ate at my parents house, and they're all into the primal thing, so that worked out well.

B- 2 fried eggs
dried fruit
a homemade mocha

snack-trail mix

L- Grain free pizza leftovers, salad with oil and vinegar

D- wild salmon, buttered potatoes, green beans and homemade pickles, tomatoes with basil and balsamic vinegar.

Drinks- 2 cranberry coolers(with vodka..not going alcohol free)

yum!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That was my experience as well, a lot more aversions last time. I did eat some grains at various times in the pregnancy- always gf though. I found towards the end sweet potatoes helped w/ the cravings for carbs. In the end I did the best I could- it did get better though. About halfway through those cravings for grains stopped fairly well. I did try to make sure in the beginning when I was eating some grains that they were whole grains(mostly it was BRM GF hot cereal and brown rice)- and w/ plenty of fat and protein.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
My recommendation for her would be to try taking a couple of dandelion root capsules each night before bed. I wasn't primal during my first pregnancy but was so sick all the time. I read about the dandelion root on here and ran it by my midwife to be sure it was ok. I didn't expect much out of it but it was like a magic cure! As long as I remembered to take it, I was actually human again. Anyway thought I would throw it out there as something that might help without totally derailing her primal diet.

Of course a big old sweet potato with butter sounds like a great idea too!

Oh yeah, and last night's bottle of wine was delicious and well-deserved, lol! I love to have a glass of wine several nights a week, but I want to lose about 15 lbs yet and have been stuck for a loooong time. So I'm temporarily cutting back on a few of the things that I know affect my weight loss.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!

User Tag List