Going primal/Paleo/Grain-free in JUNE! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spent most of yesterday in a fog, I was so exhausted. I think it's just the accumulation of several rough nights of sleep due to the toddler. Last night I went to bed with him at 8 pm. OOHH do I feel great this morning! I am having one small cup of coffee for pleasure, not necessity! And I will be able to stop there, instead of adding 2 or 3 more throughout the day as I've been tending to do lately.

DH and I are starting both the 100 pushup and the 200 squat programs. Yesterday was supposed to be the pushups, I will have to do mine this morning though. I was so tired I knew I wouldn't be able to do them properly last night. DH did the 100 pushup program himself a couple of months ago but didn't quite finish it, so he took any excuse to start it back up. I've gone for a good hard walk with DS in the stroller nearly every day this last week too. I'm really, really hoping to build some muscle back up and lose about 12 lbs in the next 6 weeks.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok, so squats = OUCH!!

I did the initial test and squatted 30, and this is day 4 and my quads still hurt! I can stand up without using support today, which is a major improvement. I think I'll start week 1 tonight.

I also gained 4 pounds. I know it's water weight and also in my cycle I'm about to ovulate and I retain right then, too, but it's very hard seeing that on the scale. I;m thinking I need to weigh less. It gets me depressed seeing the scale move up, even if I have good reasons for it doing so.

Yesterday
homemade taco meat with garlic, onions, rotel tomatoes and tons of mushrooms
2T greek yogurt. full fat
BAS greek, with romaine, cucumbers, purple onion, feta, kalamatas, lemon juice, olive oil, S&P
8 slices bacon
1 oz 80% dark chocolate

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Yesterday was good! I managed to work out too, so that was a nice change.

B: scrambled eggs, kale (cooked in beef bone broth, bacon, garlic)
L: tuna fish with WFN mayo, a handful of cherries
D: BAS with chicken, warm bacon dressing
Snack: a bit more chicken with BBQ sauce (shared with dd), a bit of fruit and some dark chocolate

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
fairyrae- that workout schedule is similiar to what I was doing before I need to adopt it again.
Well, I don't think I started to do anything workout related until my (only) ds was 2yo, so good luck!! I've been slacking this week and played w/ ds a lot more than worked out. In reality, on average, if I'm totally honest w/ myself, I probably do only 1/2 of the stuff on that schedule. Oh well--I think that's part of being a mom...at least we all prob. 'lift heavy things' a lot--those heavy things being our kiddos!!

Quote:
Too many carbs, 149.5g. Not enough protein, 92.3g. But this would have been a good day 3 months ago, so still not horrible.
Your day sounded good to me! Aren't you pregnant too? (I could be wrong!) Looked like you really stuck to being primal, which IMO is awesome no matter what!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
Last night I went to bed with him at 8 pm. OOHH do I feel great this morning!
That whole sleep thing is probably my biggest struggle (I sleep well, can fall asleep fine--I just don't *want* to go to bed early--I *want* my alone time when ds is sleeping, so try to stay up late...dh and ds are both night owls which I am not--complicates things...) I've felt too that it makes such a HUGE difference in how I feel!!

I traditional foods
Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
I don't know if my extra energy today is stemming from my am workout with dh, but I feel amazing! so strong and capable. I just took a letter to the mailbox and on the way back I decided to climb a tree. It was so fun...I went ahead and pruned out some dead limbs while up there so it was a lot of balance and muscle usage besides the climbing. DS wanted to come up but the trunk was hard so I climbed down (swung down the last bit) and then taught him a little before climbing back up to the top. (FYI, I believe that they are safe to climb as far as they can do themselves so I didn't help him too much...that way he can get down, too)

Anyway, DS showed me how fun 'fencing' with the long dead limbs can be ...first we tapped them and 'danced' around a little hitting them against each other and then we did another kind of 'fencing'...we built a wall with all of them when we were done. I get such a kick out of the way he thinks!
Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post
So dinner was good, but I got overly full from the fries and ketchup. Guess it's all the carbs? I don't feel horrible, just more "full" than I have the past couple of days. Anyone else feel this way when eating more carbs? I did about half potato, half yam fries.
Blech. And yes, I do get overly full feeling with too many carbs, and starchy stuff. With lower carb I feel satiated, but never stuffed.

Quote:
peanuts, raisins, almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds...some dark chocolate chips. I know, peanuts aren't primal, but it's 3.99/lb bulk, so I deal
LOL. Got some peanuts in shell for the ratties yesterday and the kids were eating some of them too, and they didn't even look good. But damn, they were cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I definitely get a more full feeling when I eat higher carb foods. For some reason I really feel it with french fries, more so than some other foods.

I did it! No ice cream. I did have one square of 85% cacao chocolate. That's not a bad trade....and I didn't feel deprived. All in all, a good day.

I meant to say in my earlier post, Feb2003, I am so jealous that you got your vibram's! I am in waiting. I ordered them, and they are supposed to ship in the "middle of June"...I am not a patient person, and I want them bad, so it is KILLING me. I ordered the sprint's. Although, I run, and if I love the sprint's I might order the bikala's at some point....they're really pretty.
I WANT some Vibrams. So bad. Also a kettlebell. Sigh.

Quote:
I had a decent detox here, especially considering I ended up out all day and relying on other people's food!

bfast- bacon- emergenC
lunch- tilapia, corn and baked beans(I know not ideal but my mom at least does gf/df for us!)
supper- beef stew (small bowl- was hungry but bumming supper off a friend)
a few glasses of kombucha though!

Not enough food yesterday though. I was at a friend's house we did a "Wild Fermentation" party yesterday. We did kraut w/ 22 hds of cabbage and then 10 lbs of carrots, started ginger beer and ginger carrots as well. I am so excited that I will be having yummy fermented foods soon again!

I am flat wore out though, we were working until 10pm last night by the time I picked the kids from mom's and came home and got to bed it was 12 and the kids were up before 6:30. Baby was on my back all day yesterday on the ergo and I was on my feet the whole time- I'm pooped!

I am interested in reading about the workouts, I have been so lazy in that regard and I just started noticing my arms are all soft now! Sigh! I need to get back in the routine.

fairyrae- that workout schedule is similiar to what I was doing before I need to adopt it again.

I am still bloated from my weekend escapades. My friend is posting pics of our fermentation party on her blog- I might link if it doesn't show off my puffy belly too much!
Show us the link! C'mon...
And I love days like that, I have them occasionally with my sister and mama. So much fun. Need to do that with dehydrating and tallow making.

Yesterday-

Lattes (sensing a pattern?)

IF till noon or so, then got some ham and pepperjack from the target deli while shopping with kids.

S-Beet salad with sunflower seeds, onions, local olive oil, other yumness, that my mom made

Pre dinner appetizer! - Gin over ice (sounded SOOO good after the heat of the day. Mom and I each had one small drink with food then nothing else later) raw cheddar, green olives, macadamias

D- Ahi tuna, radishes, cucumber pickles, cabbage slaw

Dessert!- Made a clafouti with peaches, plums, coconut milk and coconut/almond flour mix. Our of the Primal Blueprint. Was much good.

Tea later with a tiny honey for the allergies.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleystar View Post
I spent most of yesterday in a fog, I was so exhausted. I think it's just the accumulation of several rough nights of sleep due to the toddler.
DH and I are starting both the 100 pushup and the 200 squat programs. Yesterday was supposed to be the pushups, I will have to do mine this morning though. I've gone for a good hard walk with DS in the stroller nearly every day this last week too. I'm really, really hoping to build some muscle back up and lose about 12 lbs in the next 6 weeks.
I am with you on the lack of sleep, dh was on vacation last week and we were up late! It makes a HUGE difference!!!

Sounds like you are working hard, I am sure you will see some results soon.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Hey ladies!

I haven't been on MDC for a couple of days, but I had a killer weekend and decided to challenge myself to 30 days of no sugar, no sweeteners. It's gonna be a challenge for sure, but I'm excited about it!!!

Today is day two and I'm pumped!!!

Last night I tried making stuffed chicken thighs for the first time, and they were so good!!! So pretty too, definitely a good one to file away for company! I deboned the thighs but left the yummy skin on, and stuffed them with a slice of ham, some mozza cheese (next time I wanna try brie) and spinach. Seasoned the chicken, tied it up at both ends and baked for 30 min at 350. Yum yum yum. You could do this with all sorts of fillings!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post

I WANT some Vibrams. So bad. Also a kettlebell. Sigh.

Show us the link! C'mon...
And I love days like that, I have them occasionally with my sister and mama. So much fun. Need to do that with dehydrating and tallow making.

Lattes (sensing a pattern?)

IF till noon or so, then got some ham and pepperjack from the target deli while shopping with kids.

S-Beet salad with sunflower seeds, onions, local olive oil, other yumness, that my mom made

Pre dinner appetizer! - Gin over ice (sounded SOOO good after the heat of the day. Mom and I each had one small drink with food then nothing else later) raw cheddar, green olives, macadamias

D- Ahi tuna, radishes, cucumber pickles, cabbage slaw

Dessert!- Made a clafouti with peaches, plums, coconut milk and coconut/almond flour mix. Our of the Primal Blueprint. Was much good.

Tea later with a tiny honey for the allergies.
I am waiting to see the posts first! There were some I was nursing in the background, although I assume that I am not showing anything or she won't post it! I was a sweaty mess though.

I need to be making up a bunch of tallow as well(especially as I am picking up 30 chickens in a few weeks! I think our next project will be soap making.

Food sounds good. I should make the kids a clafouti again- how do you like the MDA cookbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Well, I don't think I started to do anything workout related until my (only) ds was 2yo, so good luck!! I've been slacking this week and played w/ ds a lot more than worked out. In reality, on average, if I'm totally honest w/ myself, I probably do only 1/2 of the stuff on that schedule. Oh well--I think that's part of being a mom...at least we all prob. 'lift heavy things' a lot--those heavy things being our kiddos!!
Yep, plenty of lifting! I feel better when I workout regularly, it is just a matter of being and staying in the habit as you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Yesterday was good! I managed to work out too, so that was a nice change.

B: scrambled eggs, kale (cooked in beef bone broth, bacon, garlic)
L: tuna fish with WFN mayo, a handful of cherries
D: BAS with chicken, warm bacon dressing
Snack: a bit more chicken with BBQ sauce (shared with dd), a bit of fruit and some dark chocolate
Sounds like a supper yummy day to me !

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
ok, so squats = OUCH!!

I did the initial test and squatted 30, and this is day 4 and my quads still hurt! I can stand up without using support today, which is a major improvement. I think I'll start week 1 tonight.

I also gained 4 pounds. I know it's water weight and also in my cycle I'm about to ovulate and I retain right then, too, but it's very hard seeing that on the scale. I;m thinking I need to weigh less. It gets me depressed seeing the scale move up, even if I have good reasons for it doing so.

Yesterday
homemade taco meat with garlic, onions, rotel tomatoes and tons of mushrooms
2T greek yogurt. full fat
BAS greek, with romaine, cucumbers, purple onion, feta, kalamatas, lemon juice, olive oil, S&P
8 slices bacon
1 oz 80% dark chocolate
Don't sweat the weight, you also know after a big workout a lot of times your body will hold onto fluid as well.

good day here although I am soooo dead- I told dh we are all going to bed early if I have to use tranquilizers!!!

bfast-eggs and bacon
lunch- spinach salad w/ carrots-almonds-bell pepper-cucumber w/ turkey, some vit 10 water, and a nut/seed bar(basically sesame/sunflower a bit of almond and some honey)
supper- I want to do a roast w/ some veggies after little food yesterday I am starving!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM

B- Leftover buffalo chicken meatballs (there weren't many...they were really, really good!), coffee w/the usual additions

S- Cranberry cooler thing, few bites of coconut flour brownie (can't wait til those are gone!), couple carrot sticks

L- Fried eggs in butter with asparagus/tomato/artichoke salad left from Sunday.

D- Planning roasted chicken with roasted green beans, and possibly faux-ta-toes, which I have not ever actually tried making (or eating).

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM

I really want to make this, but trying to avoid dairy. Any other suggestions on a third layer? I have some bacon I thought might taste good in there somehow. My sister also suggested a scrambled egg layer or a mashed potato layer. What do you all think would taste the best? I have a lb of bacon thawing right now and a ton of zucchini I need to use up. Suggestions!?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That was my experience as well, a lot more aversions last time. I did eat some grains at various times in the pregnancy- always gf though. I found towards the end sweet potatoes helped w/ the cravings for carbs. In the end I did the best I could- it did get better though. About halfway through those cravings for grains stopped fairly well. I did try to make sure in the beginning when I was eating some grains that they were whole grains(mostly it was BRM GF hot cereal and brown rice)- and w/ plenty of fat and protein.
That's what I did too. Morning sickness phase things that tasted good were--
berry coconut milk smoothies (she could add raw egg yolks too)
salads
potatoes with butter

The cold foods were good becasue they did not really smell. She could even buy precooked chicken slices in the refrigerator section (costco has them too) to add protein without having to cook it/smell it. I also made chicken liver pate towards the end of my sickness and put it on rice crackers..it reallllly helped my energy and nausea...probably because of B vitamins. (Plus it is cold when you eat it)

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
ok, so squats = OUCH!!

I did my test on Friday, did 30, and yes I have NEVER been so sore. I was supposed to start Week one yesterday but I couldn't. I think I am going to start at the lowest level

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I did my test on Friday, did 30, and yes I have NEVER been so sore. I was supposed to start Week one yesterday but I couldn't. I think I am going to start at the lowest level
i know right? im not starting at the highest level either, even though we are "supposed" to. no way jose. i wanted to start on monday but forget it! i really am gonna try it tonight though.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
ok, so squats = OUCH!!

Quote:
Quote:
i know right? im not starting at the highest level either, even though we are "supposed" to. no way jose. i wanted to start on monday but forget it! i really am gonna try it tonight though.
I did my initial test and waited until the soreness went away before starting. I started on the level I was supposed to and I haven't had any problems since. I really recommend waiting until the muscle soreness is gone. That way your muscles have a chance to heal completely, and be stronger.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
B- Leftover buffalo chicken meatballs (there weren't many...they were really, really good!), coffee w/the usual additions
They sounded good when you mentioned them yesterday. Recipe?

So far today

B: Coffe w/ cream, my daily 2 brazil nuts

L: BAS with kale, romaine, clover sprouts, cukes, beets, red pepper and this flap steak I got at the farmer's market. That steak is SO good and the color was amazing! Dressing was my usual flax oil, olive oil, acv, lemon, garlic w/ chives and tarragon. It was good - couldn't eat it all.

S: 3 bites of Polish sausage from the farmer's market w/ mustard

D: I think we're either have the Egg, Bacon, Avocado, Tomato salad from MDA or a chicken ginger bok choy stir fry. Have to see how hot the house is when I get home!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Your day sounded good to me! Aren't you pregnant too? (I could be wrong!) Looked like you really stuck to being primal, which IMO is awesome no matter what!
Yes I am preg. Well, there was the tortillas, the crust on the quiche, the potstickers... And my goal is 100 grams of protein a day. After breakfast and when I started making the potstickers for lunch, I was thinking it was a bad day, but I guess I saved it by eating the salad for lunch and the lasagna for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
Oooh, I love clafouti! I may need to experiment to see if I can make a grain free one. How much coconut and almond flour did you use?

Quote:
I did my tests on Friday, also did 30 squats. I tried today to do Day 1 at that level, but halfway through dropped down to the next level. It was just too much. My huge pregnant belly kind of gets in the way. And I decided I didn't want to push too hard, being pregnant. I started to do the pushups on my hands and knees, but I just can't lower all the way down cause my stomach hits the ground! So I switched to using the edge of a table. Are you doing the squats and pushups on the same day? Or alternating days?

today i ate:
B- 1 egg omelette with an Italian sausage, zucchini, spinach, alfredo sauce. 2 oz. raspberries.

S- 2 tbsp macadamias. Tried an Adina brand organic mocha while out grocery shopping, only 9oz (portion control!) and 7g less carbs than the same amount of a starbucks mocha.

S- 1 cup of a raspberry spinach smoothie. I put both a banana and a bit of honey in it, so it had too many carbs.

I have eaten too many carbs today and not enough protein. So far 846 cal, 55.5g carb, 38.5g protein. I'm making stroganoff for dinner with zuke noodles, I wonder if I can eat 60g of protein at one meal?

I added some Bernard Jensen gelatin to my smoothie for some extra protein. I don't know why I've never thought of it before. I was considering buying some 'the true whey' protein powder, but the gelatin is cheaper and I already have it. Any reason why the protein powder would be better?

eta:
D- Beef Stroganoff over zucchini noodles. asparagus/artichoke heart/cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar. I'm only up to 87g of protein for the day, but I'm so full I don't think I can eat any more today. I just ate half of the days calories in one meal. Or maybe it's all the fat, I'm at 63% fat today. Though I could manage a square of chocolate...

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
Yes I am preg. Well, there was the tortillas, the crust on the quiche, the potstickers... And my goal is 100 grams of protein a day. After breakfast and when I started making the potstickers for lunch, I was thinking it was a bad day, but I guess I saved it by eating the salad for lunch and the lasagna for dinner.
Um--I guess I didn't read your post really well--didn't notice grains being involved at all--but still, I think all you primal pregnant mamas are amazing for even trying!! What I personally ate during pregnancy (and thought was healthy) was deplorable...

I traditional foods
Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm nice and sore today from working out yesterday and that's awesome! I also have a killer headache though- I must have been not holding my neck correctly during pushups.

Wow, stuffed chicken thighs sound AMAZING!!! I may have to do that at some point this week.... Too bad I just used up the last of our garden spinach this afternoon for a salad, but I'm sure I can find something else! Maybe bacon, a little cheese as a treat, and artichoke hearts or something. Yummm.

Today's food (I loooooove looking at what everyone ate and getting ideas, btw!) was:

B: Scrambled eggs, kale, one chunk of watermelon courtesy of dd
L: Spinach, egg, bacon, avocado salad with warm bacon dressing (seems to be a good way of getting around dressings with nasty oils!), mini box of raisins
D: BAS with a bit of fruit, chicken
Snack: tiny chunk of macaroon made with just honey, coconut, and egg whites (YUM) and strawberries/chocolate. Hey, it's been a long day.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM

well, I didn't hear from anyone about the zucchini lasagna, so I did my own thing. I ribboned 2 zucchinis, including the peel and then cooked some pasta sauce. Cooked a lb of bacon, then made a reduction of balsamic vinegar and bacon grease and then cooked onions and garlic in that. I then added that to the sauce. Served the sauce over the "noodles" and topped it with broccoli and some grated asiago cheese. Turned out pretty darn good I must say. Dessert was a square of dark chocolate! That was dinner.

B- two soft boiled eggs with salt and pepper
S- peanut butter, trail mix
L-leftover burgers
S-blueberries
D- see above.

It was a good day except that I had a diet coke from sonic cause it was so flipping hot out today! okay, I could have gotten water, but you know..the 80/20 thing is so true for me. well, maybe 90/10

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Um--I guess I didn't read your post really well--didn't notice grains being involved at all--but still, I think all you primal pregnant mamas are amazing for even trying!! What I personally ate during pregnancy (and thought was healthy) was deplorable...
I know! When I think about what I ate during my other pregnancies, thinking it was healthy. Especially the first. I followed the Brewer Diet, I had not found TF yet. I thought it was ok to eat big bowls of icecream because I'd already gotten in all my protein/eggs. And to eat more grain servings than listed, because I was eating WHOLE grains. And it was ok to eat this deep fried fast food chicken strips/nuggets, because they were protein! Now I know why I was hungry ALL THE TIME, my body was probably craving nutrients it wasn't getting.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 AM

so, do you think I can start those 100-pushup/200-squat workouts you all are talking about w.out doing the test? I think I'll just start with the easiest level!

I was all pumped to go running today and start that tomorrow but woke up feeling like SHITE, could barely stand to make breakfast- actually I went to bed while DH finished up. We were up kind of late watching Food Inc, but its more than that. I'm achey, sore throat, feeling groggy. Its been coming and going all day.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, grain-free "nola" with plain full-fat yogurt, coffee with cream. Had to force myself to eat breakfast but I did revive a lot afterwards.
Snack: Tea with a little milk
Lunch: Vegan/GF Tomato soup with a half-piece of bread (cheat! I was out).
Snack: handful of the grain-free "nola"
Dinner: 4 fake meatballs w/ tomato sauce (I know, you all probably shudder to think but we eat a little of that stuff, and I was feeling sick, home alone w/ DS5, DD1 and our friend's baby who is 11m and dinner just had to be easy!) and a very tasty miso soup with onions and cabbage. Shared a plain coconut-milk and egg-yolk custard with baby.

I'll probably have some more nola and yogurt for dessert, with some berries. (I just baked up the nola yesterday so I'm right into it! and its so fresh and crunchy)

the Vibrams. I dunno. I am barefoot ALWAYS in my house and actually find it rather gross when people wear their outdoor shoes inside. I would always prefer to be barefoot except when its too cold. But I think I would feel goofy in the vibrams! I already have very large feet and I those bright colored bits between the toes give me the creeps. I guess I am not cutting-edge enough.

dissertating mom to three

Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I know! When I think about what I ate during my other pregnancies, thinking it was healthy. Especially the first. I followed the Brewer Diet, I had not found TF yet. I thought it was ok to eat big bowls of icecream because I'd already gotten in all my protein/eggs. And to eat more grain servings than listed, because I was eating WHOLE grains. And it was ok to eat this deep fried fast food chicken strips/nuggets, because they were protein! Now I know why I was hungry ALL THE TIME, my body was probably craving nutrients it wasn't getting.
I started doing the Brewer Diet over halfway through--probably when I started Bradley classes. (Was way better than what I had been eating. ) I was doing it vegetarian though using processed, most likely gmo soy-based meat replacements for protein...and probably 2x the recommended amount of grain servings, thinking I was oh so healthy doing them whole wheat (gluten sensitivity, I've now learned, runs in my family...) Ah, if I only knew then what I know now...I think we could've avoided a LOT of issues (food sensitivities, leaky gut, breastfeeding struggles, etc etc etc). Oh well! I'm so grateful my path has brought me here! My little sis is now pregnant w/ her first and has learned from a ton of my 'mistakes' (which were all just parts of my path--not really mistakes, just doing what I thought was best at the time)--which I think is fabulous. And, just fyi, she just switched her prenatal vites from Rainbow Light to Garden of Life Vitamin Code 2 days ago, and she feels 1000x better (Rainbow Light prenatals must be harsh on the tummy)! She's been eating much more primally since the switch, craving (crappy) carbs less, and is enjoying some of her old favorite (grain free) foods too!

ETA: I just want to add that *my* personal vegetarian diet was awful--I do think there is a lot to be said for folks who are vegetarian/mostly veg who do eat eggs and/or milk and/or fish and focus on eating TF, avoiding processed, unfermented soy, etc... I do think we all need some sort of animal protein and fat to thrive, but personally feel I need a lot more animal based foods now to make up for over a decade of eating processed, nutrient depleted frankenfoods--it seems to be part of my healing...just wanted to clarify!!

I traditional foods
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 AM

Whew! I skipped a day and had to read 2 1/2 pages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
I meant to say in my earlier post, Feb2003, I am so jealous that you got your vibram's! I am in waiting. I ordered them, and they are supposed to ship in the "middle of June"...I am not a patient person, and I want them bad, so it is KILLING me. I ordered the sprint's. Although, I run, and if I love the sprint's I might order the bikala's at some point....they're really pretty.
ryleigh'smama, I love that you said you're 'in waiting' . dh has the KSO Vibrams and he's a triathlete. He races in 'regular' shoes and trains in both (max 9 miles so far in a Vibram run). He also loves them for grass sprints, burpees, plank, etc at the local park (who knows if they comb for glass, etc!)

Thankfully, we can buy them locally b/c the different styles fit differently! My feet fit in totally different sizes between the sprints, KSOs and bikilas. The heel area felt very different to me in the styles, too. Overall, I love the bikilas b/c they have a more defined heel area, the sole moves totally naturally with my foot, and they will 'keep stuff out' of the shoe like the KSOs (gravel, dirt, etc that can cause friction). I'm not much of a runner (BTDT), but I plan to sprint and wear them for any active things (like tree climbing! )

Someone commented about why wear Vibrams at all vs barefoot...well, I am still barefoot at home and in my yard, BUT the Vibrams give me extra traction, protect my feet from extreme temps (summer in TX ) and painful surfaces (broken glass, broken pecan and acorn shells, sharp gravel, rough driveway/roads, etc.). I will still wear my Birkenstocks, but the Vibrams beat any other shoe I've tried.

(ps. DH has the solid black ones and they won't make your feet look any bigger, especially b/c they fit like a glove-no excess, BUT we think they look a bit like 'gorilla feet' )
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
she feels 1000x better
Yay!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 AM

I just weaned my 27 month old this week and feel so BLAH! I just had my first kind of cycle 2 weeks ago after 3 years and I think my body is in the hormone dumps. I got more protein and veggie foods today so I am hoping adding sausage to breakfast will help. I still have those last 7 nursing pounds to lose so I need to really focus on the protein..that is what has worked the past fews years I have done paleo--I feel bad/gain/have cravings when I don't eat enough of it.

My plan for tomorrow:
B-eggs, chicken sauasage, maybe an lc veggie
L-BAS with canned salmon, evoo dressing
D-pot roast with homemade beef broth, carrots,onion, green beans
CLO

Weights at the gym and hopefully swimming with the kids after.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:

This! I did the brewer diet with my first as well. I was also trying to monitor calories at the time, so was drinking loads of skim milk (!!!!!!!!!! the horror!!!! gross!).

Dinner last night was soooo good. I ended up pan-frying chicken cutlets (forgot to thaw the actual bird I'd planned to cook, and it was too rainy to grill), roasted a bag of extra-fine green beans (from Aldi!), and served both with a super quick make-shift aioli. I marketed the beans to the boys as "green fries", and they totally bought it and gobbled them up. Score!

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM

http://sahmville.blogspot.com/2010/0...hats-that.html

Here is the link ladies. I am the one w/ the baby on my back My baby is in the floor on one of the shots(the other kid's are my friends- mom babysat my other 2). Anyway, I am definitely puffy but I guess it isn't too bad! You can see we had a busy day!

Good day yesterday, getting back in the groove, now if only I can get the house back in order. Finally had an early night to bed, thank goodness, in bed by 8:30. Slept pretty good. Just need a few more nights to catch up!

food today:
bacon and eggs
turkey salad
beef stew(didn't end up making it last night but had a meatza bake and a hunk of meat)

I need to get some kombucha brewing as well and some nuts to soak.

Quote:
Yes I am preg. Well, there was the tortillas, the crust on the quiche, the potstickers... And my goal is 100 grams of protein a day. After breakfast and when I started making the potstickers for lunch, I was thinking it was a bad day, but I guess I saved it by eating the salad for lnch and the lasagna for dinner.

D- Beef Stroganoff over zucchini noodles. asparagus/artichoke heart/cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar.
As you said though you recovered the day with better choices. I think that is what makes success, not perfection but that willingness to keep trying. Overtime there are improvements and moments of sliding back, but I think that is part of it.

The stroganoof souunds delicous I haven't made that in forever. I am going to have to look up a df recipe again and try that! That also reminds me I need to put some zuc in the garden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post

B: Scrambled eggs, kale, one chunk of watermelon courtesy of dd
L: Spinach, egg, bacon, avocado salad with warm bacon dressing (seems to be a good way of getting around dressings with nasty oils!), mini box of raisins
D: BAS with a bit of fruit, chicken
Snack: tiny chunk of macaroon made with just honey, coconut, and egg whites (YUM) and strawberries/chocolate. Hey, it's been a long day.
How do you do your warm bacon dressing? I have seen it mentioned several times, but never tried it?

Quote:
well, I didn't hear from anyone about the zucchini lasagna, so I did my own thing. I ribboned 2 zucchinis, including the peel and then cooked some pasta sauce. Cooked a lb of bacon, then made a reduction of balsamic vinegar and bacon grease and then cooked onions and garlic in that. I then added that to the sauce. Served the sauce over the "noodles" and topped it with broccoli and some grated asiago cheese. Turned out pretty darn good I must say. Dessert was a square of dark chocolate! That was dinner.
I meant to reply about the lasagna but forgot. When I have made it before I just did a few layers and did a pinenut ricotta since we are dairy free we really enjoyed it. Yours sounds good though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
s I'm achey, sore throat, feeling groggy. Its been coming and going all day.
the Vibrams. I dunno. I am barefoot ALWAYS in my house and actually find it rather gross when people wear their outdoor shoes inside. I would always prefer to be barefoot except when its too cold. But I think I would feel goofy in the vibrams! I already have very large feet and I those bright colored bits between the toes give me the creeps. I guess I am not cutting-edge enough.
Sorry you are feeling bad

I go back and forth on the shoes as well. I am barefoot a lot or wear flat shoes if I wear them. However, I like the idea of them for outside activity when it isn't comfortable for bare feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
(ps. DH has the solid black ones and they won't make your feet look any bigger, especially b/c they fit like a glove-no excess, BUT we think they look a bit like 'gorilla feet' )
This is my paranoia. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a "freak" I hb, hs, cook from scratch, on and on and on. With weird shoes even strangers will know I am freak and then having to answer questions and comments, well it gets tiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I still have those last 7 nursing pounds to lose so I need to really focus on the protein..that is what has worked the past fews years I have done paleo--I feel bad/gain/have cravings when I don't eat enough of it.
Same for me, must have plenty of protein or the carb cravings come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
This! I did the brewer diet with my first as well. I was also trying to monitor calories at the time, so was drinking loads of skim milk (!!!!!!!!!! the horror!!!! gross!).
I marketed the beans to the boys as "green fries", and they totally bought it and gobbled them up. Score!
I did the Brewer diet w/ #1. But I didn't drink milk(I have always had an aversion to it- guess that is intuition that I don't tolerate it?). Anyway, so I drank lots of soymilk instead- sigh! I ate ton of protein and usually did pretty good hitting all the categories, but with that of course was all those grains and then sugar as well, oh well! It wasn't all bad.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am the one w/ the baby on my back My baby is in the floor on one of the shots(the other kid's are my friends- mom babysat my other 2). Anyway, I am definitely puffy but I guess it isn't too bad! You can see we had a busy day!
This looks like so much fun!! I've talked about a fermenting party with a friend and we weren't sure if we could do it *with* our children...you've inspired me! I'm not sure that we'd attempt all that you did in one day, however!

Quote:
This is my paranoia. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a "freak" I hb, hs, cook from scratch, on and on and on. With weird shoes even strangers will know I am freak and then having to answer questions and comments, well it gets tiring.
I know. I get that, too, but dh and I have only gotten 'cool' comments about the shoes. I think without going into details, most people 'get' that being barefoot is just COMFY!

Plus, an acquaintance once told me, "a tiger can't change his stripes and his life would be miserable if he tried...own and embrace who you are and don't worry about the rest of us!" Now, *her* stripes include being dressed 'up'/edgy all the time, *really* being into hair, make-up, shoes, etc. and she knows I don't really care about any of those things. I thought this was very wise advice!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I just weaned my 27 month old this week and feel so BLAH! I just had my first kind of cycle 2 weeks ago after 3 years and I think my body is in the hormone dumps. I got more protein and veggie foods today so I am hoping adding sausage to breakfast will help. I still have those last 7 nursing pounds to lose so I need to really focus on the protein..that is what has worked the past fews years I have done paleo--I feel bad/gain/have cravings when I don't eat enough of it.

My plan for tomorrow:
B-eggs, chicken sauasage, maybe an lc veggie
L-BAS with canned salmon, evoo dressing
D-pot roast with homemade beef broth, carrots,onion, green beans
CLO

Weights at the gym and hopefully swimming with the kids after.
s to you- I weaned my 30 month old in April and I was COMPLETELY unprepared for the hormonal horrors that ensued. I'd had my period for about two years, but the hormone shift involved in weaning was really, really bad for me. Rest assured that it passes really fast, I promise. As soon as you get your cycle the first time after you wean, you may start feeling better. s

On the plus side, I've lost 10 lbs in two months barely even trying since I weaned her. So there's that- I bet you'll have the same success!

User Tag List