Gain weight during transition? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently on a low fat, high protein, slightly low carb diet due to a fitness program. I have been seeing more and more about the benefits of a high healthy fat diet with minimal grain intake. The program I am currently on was my first exposure to low carb/grain, and I could feel a huge difference. I think that increasing my fat quite a bit would make me feel even better and more nourished.

My question is...For those of you that made the change from a low fat diet to a high fat diet, did you gain weight or retain fat before your body made the adjustment? If so, how long of a period did that take? I exercise regularly and already avoid sugars and processed foods, aside from some ezekiel bread and whey protein powder in my smoothies. TIA!
#2 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 AM

I have upped my healthy fats big time lately and have tried to cut back on my carbs somewhat. I KNOW that I gained weight in conjunction with doing this, however I just think I didn't cut carbs back enough. You can eat as much fat as you want...as long as your hardly eating the carbs it seems.

Hope other more experienced TF'ers will respond.
#3 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Every body is different. So, high fat / low carb makes the weight melt off some people while other people need lower fat (not low fat!), more protein and lower carbs.

For me, it primarily comes down to calories. I have to watch my calories which translates into having to watch my fat. Fat is very calorie dense. I can not simply eat high fat / low carb and loose weight.

So, I try to eat moderate fat and concentrate on lean protein sources and lower carb veggies.

What you can not do is eat high fat and high carbs. You will gain weight doing that. If you're going to eat higher carbs, you need to lower your fat. If you're going to eat lower carbs, you can increase your fat. But, don't do both high carb and high fat - for most people, that will cause weight gain but again, every body is different.
#4 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I am shooting for something around 45f/35p/20c, so the carbs are kept pretty low. I also watch my calories closely, so that is not an issue...
#5 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM

You still have to watch your calories. It's misleading IMO sometimes when I read these things about the "primal" diet because they kinda make it sound like if you cut out all your grains you'll just lose wieght be fit and happy ever after. You really can't eat much volume, watch your portions. I can eat a huge salad with some lentils or lean protein source and some good olive oil dressing, or I can eat a handful of nuts for like the same calories LOL. The grains i agree with, I feel better not eating too many, but you still have to watch amounts.
#6 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
You still have to watch your calories. It's misleading IMO sometimes when I read these things about the "primal" diet because they kinda make it sound like if you cut out all your grains you'll just lose wieght be fit and happy ever after. You really can't eat much volume, watch your portions. I can eat a huge salad with some lentils or lean protein source and some good olive oil dressing, or I can eat a handful of nuts for like the same calories LOL. The grains i agree with, I feel better not eating too many, but you still have to watch amounts.
I have no desire to lose any weight, I simply desire to find the healthiest way for me to eat, that makes me feel the best on a daily basis. I am fortunate that I actually find portion measuring a sort of OCD hobby for me...

I don't find that the primal diet comes across as a "diet" in the weightloss sense, I think it is simply understood that weightloss can be a side effect of reducing carb/sugar intake. Being fit also requires some physical effort, and will never come from diet alone, although I do believe nutrition is an essential part of fitness.

I already have a pretty firm grasp on my caloric requirements, I have just begun to shift my carb/protein/fat ratios to reflect the primal diet a bit more, simply because it makes sense for me. I am hoping to get some input from you ladies who have made the shift from a whole foods low-fat diet to a whole foods high fat diet, and what you experienced in the process.
#7 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Well, there's a wide range to the high fat diets, primal/paleo etc. I don't think i gained weight at all, probably dropped a small bit at first. My weight stays about the same give or take a pound.

Some resources ARE misleading and very narrow minded/strict..... depends where you are looking. I"m just saying it CAN be....and you weren't really very clear in what you are looking for but awesome that you have a healthy weight

I have days I eat lots more fruit/starchy things (still very very little grain) so carbs are higher, and some days particularly on the go, i eat mostly nuts, seeds, some fruit, eggs.... packable type things.
#8 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I am very new to the concept of higher fat = health, so I am sure that with the more research I do, I will come across more and more perspectives on this way of eating, including those targeted at weightloss. The fact that my whole original question was about weight gain would lead anyone to think I am concerned about losing weight I think - I can be a bit daft at times! Thanks so much for the insight into your personal experience, I need all the info I can get!
#9 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 PM

I gained a LOT of weight when I switched over from a high-carb diet to a high-fat diet. But I was severely undernourished before that, because of a serious chronic illness.

What I did find, though, was that I reached what is a healthy weight for me, and the gain slowed down and stopped, all by itself, and my appetite naturally reduced itself a bit.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 20 Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Okay, I'm still nursing a 2 year old. She doesn't nurse all that much but she does nurse a little during the day and some during the night. I have always eaten a pretty good share of healthy fats...but I have recently started adding even more fats to the diet, while trying to reduce the carbs/processed sugars. I have gained a bit of weight, but it seems like I haven't seen a decrease in appetite. I guess it is the nursing???? Still feel like I need to consume A LOT of calories. Anyone else?
#11 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this...if you are eating when you are hungry (vs. bored, stressed, etc) and eating lots of good fats, protein & veg, little to no grains & sweets, I don't think counting calories is important. If you are in the habit of stress eating/emotional eating, it may take awhile to learn to listen to your body's hunger signals - but counting calories won't necessarily help that either. Eat the good stuff when you are PHYSICALLY hungry & stop when you feel satisfied (but not stuffed!) Works for me
#12 of 20 Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this...if you are eating when you are hungry (vs. bored, stressed, etc) and eating lots of good fats, protein & veg, little to no grains & sweets, I don't think counting calories is important. If you are in the habit of stress eating/emotional eating, it may take awhile to learn to listen to your body's hunger signals - but counting calories won't necessarily help that either. Eat the good stuff when you are PHYSICALLY hungry & stop when you feel satisfied (but not stuffed!) Works for me
This may be weird, but I actually have to watch my calories to make sure that I eat enough. I am actually most comfortable with a slight feeling of hunger (never had any kind of eating issues, so totally clueless as to why that is). I could easily eat around 1000 calories a day and not feel like I am "going without", but obviously I would feel like crap and be completely worthless during any exercise. I almost have to feel stuffed sometimes to get in the veggies and nutrients that I need to throughout the day...
#13 of 20 Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM

FWIW, If you are looking to lose or maintain weight, I wouldn't worry about getting "enough" calories. If you are listening to your body's hunger signals & eating well (ie TF) your calorie intake will naturally vary depending on that day's needs.

eta - I noticed from an earlier post that you are not looking to lose...still, I wouldn't worry too much about how many calories you are getting/not getting as long as you are satisfied & eating good stuff.
#14 of 20 Old 06-13-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama View Post
FWIW, If you are looking to lose or maintain weight, I wouldn't worry about getting "enough" calories. If you are listening to your body's hunger signals & eating well (ie TF) your calorie intake will naturally vary depending on that day's needs.

eta - I noticed from an earlier post that you are not looking to lose...still, I wouldn't worry too much about how many calories you are getting/not getting as long as you are satisfied & eating good stuff.
I think I agree with you on this, and a large part o my desire to make a change in my diet is to live more intuitively. I suppose it is just difficult to find the courage to leave the security of numbers behind, when they have been such a big part of my daily life for a while (just finished p90x yesterday).
#15 of 20 Old 06-16-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

So I have been on a much higher fat diet than I am used to for about a week now and have actually lost weight. I have not reduced my calories at all. I had just finished p90x, so my exercise actually decreased. I assume it is from really chopping the carbs, but it is still a funny feeling to eat so much delicious foods and lose weight. I had no intention or desire to lose weight, but I suppose my body is going to do what it is going to do...
#16 of 20 Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the update sellendie, I really enjoyed hearing about how you felt making the switch to higher fat. I've been trying to eat more primal since June 1st and I find myself questioning my food at times. I also just purchased p90x last night and dh and I plan to start soon, so I appreciate your view on all this. Congrats on the continued weight loss and finishing p90x, it's quite an accomplishment!
#17 of 20 Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anudi01 View Post
I have upped my healthy fats big time lately and have tried to cut back on my carbs somewhat. I KNOW that I gained weight in conjunction with doing this, however I just think I didn't cut carbs back enough. You can eat as much fat as you want...as long as your hardly eating the carbs it seems.

Hope other more experienced TF'ers will respond.
high carb and high fat is perhaps the worst combo, according to the sources i've read especially dr. micheal eades http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/.

basically, according to nutrition experts who are proponents of low-carb, higher fat diets, these are very good diets for losing and or maintaining weight, depending on how low-carb you are going. very low carb, under 50 grams of carbs/day, is close to some of atkins recomendations and he claims his diet to be very effective.

i personally find about 75 grams-100 grams carbs/day to be right for me and my body. i have lost weight effortlessly. to not be hungry and not have weight loss stall due to your body thinking you're starving, you probably have to eat more fat on a low carb eating plan. theres only so much protien that a human can safely eat (generally no more then 35% of diet and even that is high), so that leaves fat and carbs as macronutrients. i personally havent really ever been overweight technically and havent found a need to count calories and maintain a healthy weight.

another MD who promotes higher fat, lower carb grain free is www.paleonu.com

also see www.heartscan.blogspot.com for a bit of a different take, but still low carb, higher fat advice from another MD.
#18 of 20 Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

How much fat do you typically eat a day? I am trying not to over-evaluate things, but I would like to find that sweet spot that makes me feel the best.
#19 of 20 Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 PM

I feel best getting 60-70% of my calories from fat. Then anywhere 15-25 or so from protein and/or carbs. It ranges though...

Good luck figuring out what's best for you! I love that adding fat has felt good--I think (healthy) fats are something many many folks are sorely lacking!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#20 of 20 Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM

When I went TF, I went on a fat feast. I craved it, ate insane amounts of it, and still lost weight as long as I was careful about my carbs. As my health improved, I gradually saw that my need for fat reduced while I could tolerate more carbs and still loose weight. Now I'm 130 pounds and I can tolerate more carbs than I ever have in my life and still not gain. But it was a gradual transition as my body adjusted and healed.

Don't jump to high fat quickly. Your body might not like it and revolt in the form of diarrhea or nausea. Gradually increase the fat so your body adjusts. The most important thing is to listen to your body and find your right balance point.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page