4 TBS of butter!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WAPF suggests pregnant/nursing moms have 4 T. of butter a day. I love me some pasture butter, but find this challenging. Are there tips for getting more butter into your diet, other than the obvious (butter on veggies, grits, toast, porridge)? I was thinking of melting it and putting in my smoothie. Anyone do this? I also put some in my cup of soup today. Delish.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#2 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Does it count if you use it in baking? Can you make cookies or brownies (chocolate!!) or something?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
kl5

I think I put that much on my toast alone, so not sure I can be much help on this one! (other than to offer the suggestion that toast should not be buttered while it's still hot, as its butter carrying capacity increases enormously as it cools. think teethmarks! )
#4 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 06:19 PM

I love cold pats of butter on banana bread. But yeah, the morning toast takes at least 2tbs. Also, potatoes soak up a ton of butter. Make sauces with a roux using butter. Biscuits - made with butter, then buttered!
#5 of 23 Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM

butter in tea or coffee.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#6 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 AM

I guess I'm not that much help, as I definitely don't have trouble getting that much butter.

I agree though. The butter on bread should leave toothmarks. also cook lots of veggies in tons of butter. Like leeks, I make melted leeks, in which I cook them slowly with tons of butter. (half a stick for a couple leeks) until they are totally melted into leek/buttery goodness and they are divine.

biscuits, quiche (or other pie dough), bread with butter in it AND on it?

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 AM

Fry eggs in a tablespoon of butter. Butter your veggies. Eat a bowl of popcorn with...butter! Seriously, I can eat four tablespoons of butter in one sitting if there is popcorn involved, easily.
#8 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Wow. I would have trouble LIMITING myself to four tablespoons.

I fry my eggs in butter. I eat butter spread thickly on bread. I butter veggies. I fry potatoes in butter. I make wonderful chicken-stock-based sauces and garlic and lemon sauces that are full of butter. I use a quarter pound of butter in one batch of pancakes, and then butter the pancakes on my plate. I make cornbread with a TON of butter, or muffins, too.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
JMJ

If I didn't eat anything else, that would be 6 of my cookies:

1 dozen cookies:
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c butter
2 T raw honey
~1 T kefir
soak overnight, in the morning add:
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 of a 7 oz bar BLANXART Chocolate a la Taza, chopped into chunks (contains sugar, but just over half a gram per cookie)
Bake 10-12 mins at 350 F
#10 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Teethmarks, huh? I guess I could get used to that.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#11 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM

My first thought when I saw the title was Mmmm 4 Tbsp. butter! I add butter to almost everything.
#12 of 23 Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

I fry my eggs in butter. I eat butter spread thickly on bread. I butter veggies. I fry potatoes in butter. I make wonderful chicken-stock-based sauces and garlic and lemon sauces that are full of butter. I use a quarter pound of butter in one batch of pancakes, and then butter the pancakes on my plate. I make cornbread with a TON of butter, or muffins, too.

4 tbs is nothing here....could polish twice that in 1 meal similar to above poster. sorry, nak

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#13 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't have trouble getting in lots of butter at all! I cook eggs and shanghai lettuce/bok choi/pak choi in butter for breakfast every two days or so. You can fry your rice in a little butter for a minute or two before adding stock and cooking it. If you make bread, add melted butter to the dough. Fry your onions for dinner in butter (on low heat) or ghee (if you're sauteeing them). If you make veggie soup, stir the veggies around for a while in butter before adding stock. Pop a wee pat of butter on top of cooked peas, beans, potatoes, squash, carrots, sweetcorn, pasta, popcorn, chickpeas... Butter in pasta sauce is delicious!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I guess I'm not that much help, as I definitely don't have trouble getting that much butter.
Me neither. I could eat butter spread on crackers. Or heck, just cold butter.
#15 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Another vote for a hunk a cold butter!
I had forgotten about that recommendation.

I'm off to go eat some more butter since I'm nursing!
#16 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Oh, whew. I've been avoiding this thread because I thought I was a freak for being able to down as much butter as I do. Glad I'm not alone!

My recommendation, aside from the delicious ones already mentioned, is butter in oatmeal. Yum.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#17 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM

I have to admit - I clicked on the thread because I saw 4 T of butter and thought "Why so little?" LOL!

I guess I would mainly echo what other posters have said - on veggies, potatoes, rice, use it in place of (or in addition to ) olive/coconut oil when you cook, when you make scrambled eggs, throw a little extra butter on top when you are almost done cooking...probably other things I am forgetting. I don't do it on toast because I am GF and don't eat much bread at all (gluten free or not) Oh - I throw it it oatmeal too

Hope this helps!
#18 of 23 Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pats of unsalted butter taste great on top of chunks of sliced raw cheese.

#19 of 23 Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's easier to get 4tbsp of butter than you'd think! But yes, I love butter tea, add a tbsp of butter and some salt to some plain hot tea. Oh my, it's delicious!

Load up the toast and a nice baked potato with a big chunk of butter is Butter is my fat of choice, so most of our food is cooked in or with it. I love butter spread on crackers, too, and eggs fried in a bunch of butter.
#20 of 23 Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
My first thought when I saw the title was Mmmm 4 Tbsp. butter! I add butter to almost everything.

ETA Cherrybomb reminded me we add it to chai as well. Inspired by yak butter tea - chai (can be dandelion chai so caffeine free) mix made with raw milk & raw honey heated slowly & a teaspoon of butter per person stirred in just before serving. Yum!

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#21 of 23 Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

We LOVE to dunk crispy pecans into butter here. Usually the amount of butter exceeds the size of the pecan.

I make butter pecan ice cream using raw cream, raw milk, raw egg yolks, salt and a little maple syrup - plus pecans...

And butter on pretty much everything. The kids will just eat it plain & they'd polish off a whole pound of it if I let them, but it's too expensive. I buy organic butter for cooking purposes.

We like it on homemade muffins (I make coconut flour muffins), slathered on top of salmon, we dip crispy plantain chips into butter, um, there's not much we don't put butter on.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#22 of 23 Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
KAF

Hi,
I was wondering what the recipe is for the coconut muffins and if they are ok for an adrenal diet. Also, I happened to read your posts from 2007 about your doctor you went to, Dr. Neville. I jsut called and made an appointment with him. Are you still happy with him and did he help your problem? There were like a 1000 or 2000 posts spanning a year. Then it stopped. I was jsut wondering how you're been since then.

Interestingly, I had made an appointment at the Woodland Center down the road but the doctor I saw there didnt really help me. I was told that this doctor is newer and if I tried another one, I might get better luck. I saw Dr Buttram there many years ago so that is why I called there first. Also, they take insurance and the fatigue I have has disabled me to the point where I can't work. I have decided I need to do something about it. I got a food allergy test by Alletesse and found out I have a sensitivity to eggs, wheat, gluten, yeast, corn and cow's milk. I cut all of that out of my diet; plus I havent used any sugar or had any desserts. It's been about two weeks and it hasnt been a problem except that there's not much to eat when you cut all these things out. I also ordered the book you suggested on your 2007 post. Thanks for your help. PS: If I am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know. I just signed up after reading your posts.
#23 of 23 Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Mmmm....butter! I wish it were as cheap as margarine! We can easily go through several pounds a week. I agree with everything else posted, but wanted to add that we melt butter, then dredge our meat in it before grilling...steaks, fish, chicken, even hamburgers. Yum!!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page