how do you make GAPS friendly coconut yogurt and kefir? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-12-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm not so sure ds can tolerate dairy, as he was very colicky with it when i ate it. i'm now starting solids with him and i'm following the GAPS advice regarding this. but the first food is yogurt and i'm worried about it being dairy i've emailed natasha campbell mcbride and she said to try goats yogurt aswell but i'm still not sure about using dairy with him atall. i'm thinking about doing coconut yogurt instead so how do i make this? i've not got a clue how to make it!
also how to make coconut kefir? as i'll make that for myself.
thanks.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#2 of 10 Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM

no help here, but I'm subbing cause I'd like to make some coconut yogurt instead of buying it.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#3 of 10 Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Here's a video on how to make kefir from green coconuts...

Here are directions using canned milk

Here are directions for yogurt

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of these, but I've been wanting to, since dd seems sensitive to dairy in my milk, and I was drinking a lot of kefir before.

I wonder how easy it is to transition milk kefir grains to coconut milk...?

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#4 of 10 Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM

when i searched for coconut milk yogurt recipes, most seem to include a tbsp of honey to feed the bacteria. a couple call for a thickener, like gelatin.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#5 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM

I really want to try making coconut yogurt too. I have not been able to find a GAPS/SCD legal canned coconut milk though. In the GAPS book, she tells how to make coconut milk from shredded coconut, so I am going to try that. However, I have read over in allergies that the yogurt made from the homemade coconut milk did not ever turn out right in terms of texture (it just stayed totally liquid). So not sure if it actually took or what.

I need to research this though and try and find out. I wonder if the pecanbread site has a recipe on it?
#6 of 10 Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM

They have a cashew yogurt recipe on the pecanbread site, under Stage 2:

http://pecanbread.com/new/recipes.html

I plan to try this, using the coconut milk recipe to make the coconut milk from the shredded coconut.

I have the GI Pro dairy free starter.
#7 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 AM

I've successfully made coconut yogurt but it can't incubate longer than 4-6 hours or it gets a funky smell. I use coconut cream concentrate to make a very thick milk. You could always add gelatin to if your coconut milk turns out too thin.

I'm on GAPS too and I've healed enough that I can actually eat goat and sheep yogurt now! Woo!
#8 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM

That's awesome! Hooray for you! Good to hear. Do you mind sharing your directions for how you make the yogurt?

I had forgotten all about the coconut cream concentrate. I bought that before from Tropical Traditions, and my kids would just eat it plain! What kind do you get? This is the one I bought before:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co...oncentrate.htm

I really, really want to start making the yogurt because I feel it is a missing piece for us on SCD. My kids have not done well with bottled probiotics.
#9 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM

I make coconut yogurt just like regular. Heat to around 180, cool to 110, add 2 tablespoons coconut yogurt (I get it from the store) to a quart and incubate between 90-110. The only difference is I incubate goat yogurt for 24 hours but coconut only for 5 ish.

I get my CCC from Tropical Traditions as well. I'm part of a co-op and we went in on a case.

Why do you think your kids aren't doing well with bottled probiotics?
#10 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 PM

I make coconut milk yogurt. I use tapioca starch or sweet potato flour as a thickener. I incubate mine for 10-12 hours. And I use the www.giprohealth.com starter as well, and my kids tolerate it (both are intolerant to cow, sheep, goat, and water buffalo milk).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page