Joint Pain. Go Grain Free? What other things will help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I happened to meet a personal trainer yesterday and so of course I had to pick his brain about my sports related ailments.

I bike a lot of distance (75km last Friday) because I have a big race coming up in two weeks and have been having quite a bit of wrist pain from it. The trainer recommended stretching exercises and trying to limit grains because grains encourage swelling. He also recommended cod liver oil and EFA's to combat the swelling.

I would love a recommendation on a brand of CLO and any other ideas anyone might have regarding the wrist pain.

TIA,
April
#2 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM

For some people, limiting or eliminating dairy can help. Usually, I'm pretty pro-dairy (or at least pro RAW dairy!) but I know when I over do it - my fibromyalgia flares up quite bit. Hope this helps!
#3 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a good friend who has eliminated nightshades (tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc) because he had really bad joint pain when eating those foods. Hard for me to imagine taking them out of my diet, but I think it's a self-reinforcing way of life for him. He feels so much better off them. He does not limit grains.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I do eat raw dairy and nightshades. I would have a harder time giving those up than grains I think. I will keep that in mind if limiting/ cutting out grains isn't working.

Which makes me wonder; How long will I have to cut out grains before I know if they are the problem?
#5 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
I have a good friend who has eliminated nightshades (tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc) because he had really bad joint pain when eating those foods.
Potatoes are another nightshade. Nightshades are a common cause of joint pain and for some folks dropping them can even heal/minimize the symptoms of arthritis.

I find upping my intake of bone broth helps personally. (I have not cut out nightshades.)

I'd definitely lay off the biking for a bit once your race is done so you can heal!!

ETA: I don't know that I'd go grain free right b/4 a big physical challenge. Cutting grains can dramatically cut the amount of carbs you are getting (you can, of course, replace those carbs w/ fruits/veggies/tubers/nuts/seeds/etc, but it's actually hard to do) which could impact your energy levels during the transition (and maybe impact you during your race). Many folks who drop grains experience side effects during the first week(s)--even up to a month (sometimes low energy, feeling not optimal, etc). As w/ making any dramatic changes in your diet, going grain free can take a bit of time to adjust to (not for everyone, but it seems like many.) Also, many folks are used to running off of lots of carbs instead of fat/protein for the most part, so there can be a major adjustment there.

I LOVE being grain free, and would recommend it to anyone. When I dropped gluten though, a couple years ago, I had horrible withdrawl symptoms for a week--foggy head, dizzy, tired, etc. I just would be sure I didn't have anything too important to do when I was making the transition. If I were in your shoes, I might try some other things for the joint pain at the moment, b/4 your race, and try dropping grains once it is done if you're really interested in that.

Just wanted to add that!! Good luck figuring out what will work best for *your* body!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#6 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

i would think that mostly your joint pain is simply inflammation related to the amount of cycling you're doing. i always get wrist pain when i cycle long distances, and try to just do a lot of yoga and focus on strengthening and stretching wrists when i cycle a lot.

i would try homeopathic arnica, and try icing your wrists after you cycle. if the inflammation doesn't go away once you stop cycling after your race (or, i mean, not stop entirely but not cycle as long/hard as you are now) then i would look to your diet.

i agree about the night shades, my aunt has RA and can't eat them or it really exacerates her joint pain. but i also agree that messing with your diet right before your big race might not be a good idea. think of it as similar to a detox - it might get worse before it gets better, and you don't want to hinder your performance for your race.
#7 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM

In his book the Permanent Pain Cure, http://www.permanentpaincure.com/
Physiotherapist Ming Chew recommends eating an “anti-inflammatory” diet.
The diet is basically low glycemic.

He recommends radically reducing sugar. It hardens the facsia (the connective tissue) and increases inflammation. Even fruits are limited.
He also recommends eliminating fried food containing transfats.

The diet has lots of fish provided it is safe fish, in particular Salmon and sardines, lean meat is okay, lots of vegetables in particular green vegetables. He also recommends supplementing with fish oil and enzymes, and drinking lots of water.
I do the stretches in his book and they have really helped!
#8 of 8 Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Joint pain can definitely be caused by eating grains as they are inflammatory, gluten is the worst. Any kind of sugar can cause inflammation really. It's best to limit it as much as possible. Fruit is sugary but also high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, as opposed to grains. Here's an awesome blog that can give you more info:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....tory-diet.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page