Paleo and Primal ladies, it's July! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IF? Huh?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBMAX View Post
IF? Huh?
I had to google it - Intermittant Fasting

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
I had to google it - Intermittant Fasting
If you are feeling up to a little reading, Michael Eades, MD, has a pretty informative blog that discusses IF in detail.

This page is from September of 2006. He has some great follow ups with a vast amount of commentary (flack and praise from all direction) that is quite thought provoking.

***note: I am in no way affiliated with Dr. Eades nor would I benefit from anyone reading his great info!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Intoit--sweet! I love hearing more from a carnivorous perspective--I find it fascinating and so interesting! And I LOVE IFing. LOVE it! I used to be a grazer, all day every day, so I just find it so amazing that I can go so long w/out food and feel amazing, and get health benefits from it as well. (Of course for me this depends on the time of the month--no IFing some of it, tons of IFing at other points--it seriously makes a huge difference for me!)

So I've started a superfoods/TTC/supplement/whole foods plan thread--please feel free to chime in primal mamas!

Also, this is kind of OT, but I just asked this on MDA. What are your thoughts on synthetic vitamins vs. whole food based/grown vitamins? I'm not talking about synthetic vitamins w/ whole food concentrates added, but non-synthetic vites that are marketed as being food (think Garden of Life vitamin code, New Chapter, etc.) Do any of you feel synthetic vites are dangerous (aside from the vit A toxicity issue), and why? Or not? Just looking for opinions....

Sorry this is so OT!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 AM

Today was such a fun day out in the sun with my littles!

I got really REALLY hungry in the afternoon and there was a quiznos so I tried their chicken caesar salad with bacon. Yummy actually! Decent primal fast food when there are no rotisserie chickens to be found!

Also a couple handfuls of cherries. Mmmmm!

Wasn't hungry for dinner, so I'm IFing. The best part about being primal, eating when I'm hungry, not eating when I'm not!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 AM

wow! 4 pages already. I will have to read it all later, but for now... over the weekend we were out of town staying in a hotel. did pretty good.
breakfast: ate omelettes, cup of coffee (with milk adn sugar) and 1 piece of toast.
lunch: packed it, so had big salad with mortadella. also blueberries, handful popcorn, and a butter cookie. drank coconut water.
dinner: packed it the first 2 nights. had cold roast chicken, a homemade biscuit with butter, coconut yogurt and kombucha. then the last night we went out to eat. i ate a burger iwth the bun, sweet potato fries, and 2 glasses of strawberry lemonade. ugh. not a good day.

immediately following this weekend, we had a couple cousins and their 7 kids staying with us. they eat all kinds of junk, so for 4 days i ate 2-300g of carbs each day. they're gone now, today it's back on the wagon! here's what i ate today:

B-fried egg, sprouted toast with butter, 1 pc of sausage
L- double cheeseburger (yes with bun) and fries. ice tea.
S- cashew clusters
D- italian wedding soup (with a small amount of brown rice pasta in it)
desert- 2 squares 73% choc, 1 cup blackberries
middle of night snack- mozzarella and cashew clusters.

todays total carbs is 177g. much better. tomorrow i'm going to try and be even more strict. no toast with breakfast, no pasta with my soup. not sure what i'm going to have for lunch, since i'll be at work. maybe hawaiian bbq, no rice. gotta remember to bring some fruit and choc for any afternoon carb cravings.

my july goal: to gain no more than 1 lb. a week. my goal for this pregnancy is 40lb. so far i've gained 33lb and i have 7 weeks left.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM

welcome, Intoit! I play around w/ IF as well- but try not to be too dogmatic with thinking about it- just play it by ear. I am always interested in hearing the carnivorous perspective as well. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Vaquitta- sounds like you are going to be busy! I think 40 pds sounds like a good goal and totally doable for you!

brw- where do you work again? that is a shame you cannot bring your own milk!

neverdoitagain- I always do coconut milk icecream and 1-2x a week I don't feel guilty- I sweeten w/ honey or maplesyrup.

emmagabert- My kids love the coco flour muffins you could try baking some for all? We especially like chocolate but the kids love everything chocolate!

good day here. I am thinking my green smoothies are still too much sugar- I think I figured and it is probably close to 20g w/ 1/2 blueberries- 1/2 c coco milk and some cocoa. I need to try to go back to juicing greens again. I need the greens but I cannot let the sugar bonk me out- to much to do to get sleepy.

been snacky this week since Luke is gone to camp and not really cooking big meals except supper.

yesterday:
few slices bacon
pepperoni and pecans
carrots and pb
chicken, green beans, shitakes w/ onions
choc. coco milk icecream

I think that is what I ate if I remember it- just grabbed things here and there.

Oh, and I had made a grainfree chcoolate cake Wed and ate too much of it- I was high and comatose w/ all that honey.

workouts going well. did some barefoot sprints at the park last night- that was a lot of fun!

oh, and my vibrams come in today- woohoo!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
crunchy, I work at Panera. Decent paleo food, really (salads) but bummer on the milk.

I did well yesterday. Ended up taking my daughter to Target and Starbucks, so I had a whole milk latte there and none at work. I did, however, eat potato chips with dinner last night. Oh well.

I'm having a hard time with IF- seems like my blood sugar drops and I get all shaky and insane and needing food, even when I skip just lunch lately. Anyone else have this problem? I'm beginning to think that my body just can't handle it for whatever reason, even though it was fine when I first started eating this way.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
I'm having a hard time with IF- seems like my blood sugar drops and I get all shaky and insane and needing food, even when I skip just lunch lately. Anyone else have this problem? I'm beginning to think that my body just can't handle it for whatever reason, even though it was fine when I first started eating this way.
I find it a lot easier/more natural to IF when I'm eating really low carb. Like, if my last meal was only meat or eggs, it's way easier. If it was more carby I'm hungry sooner. But I almost can't IF right around my period.

So, I've also recently figured out that I'm somewhat sensitive to eggs (I think just the whites). I think I built up a sensitivity by eating anywhere from 4-6 eggs a day, every day. (Ds used to react to them until we did a lot w/ homeopathy and gut healing, and now is fine w/ them. Maybe should have been a clue to me to go easy on them ) I was getting nauseous daily, almost always after eating, and I cut out every supplement one by one (I thought it was fish oil for a bit there) and tried to figure out what it was, and finally tried to cut eggs. Nausea gone immediately. So, no eggs for me for a bit, although yolks I'm planning to keep in moderation. (I had one yesterday and was ok.) Well, maybe it will keep me away from the eggy baked goods I make for ds!

I traditional foods
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I don't do that well IFing either. I am still nursing a 2yo a little. Even the days I eat really LC. What I do like is eating when I am hungry so sometimes I will eat a meal 2 hours later than planned or just eat a snack instead of a meal....where when I was doing a high carb I had a horrible time with my blood sugar.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
crunchy, I work at Panera. Decent paleo food, really (salads) but bummer on the milk.

I did well yesterday. Ended up taking my daughter to Target and Starbucks, so I had a whole milk latte there and none at work. I did, however, eat potato chips with dinner last night. Oh well.

I have a much easier time when I IF consistantly. For me this means that I IF between 7pm and 11-1pm usually daily. That is 16-18 hours and works well for me. I found some good IF info on a blog called leangains (It's not totally primal, but has some great weight lifting/IF information). It talks about your body having a hormonal response that is pretty much set for the time you usually eat, so if you can make it through the first couple of days it gets easier. I definitely think this is true. Occasionally I will do a longer IF (24 hours is the longest) and just eat dinner. I love IF'ing and am especially into working out at the end of an IF. I have seen a huge difference in body composition from doing this. I am continually getting leaner, which is one of my goals because it helps the saggy skin on my tummy firm up when I get super lean.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM

So at work last night I was offered, and drank a medium slurpiee. oops. Did I mention it was hot?
Anyway, came home to no children and my Dh asleep on the couch Woke him up to find him wondering where the kids were too. x2
Turns out my oldest opened the door so her little sister could come out and play with her outside. My dh sat down for a minute and fell asleep. He didn't even know! They were both at the neighbours place playing. Needless to say, I was not impressed with my husband at all. Thank god we have understanding neighbors, but we were lucky. Very very lucky.

Ate 2 pieces of chocolate, some cheese and some walnuts afterwards.
Gah. Still want to throw something at my dh.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Anyone wanna help me out with meal planning for the next 2 weeks? I was a part of a produce coop, but not anymore. So, just getting produce from costco, kroger, as much organic as possible. I get meat from a local farm, but this month is tight since we just went on a vacation and spent more money than we really had. Any ideas for meals? My son and I are gluten/grain free, and my son is dairy free. DH eats whatever. My son will eat anything unless it's green. ugh. still battling that. But if I hide zucchini, broccoli, carrots etc in stuff, he eats it. currently I have 2 lbs ground beef, 3 lb ribeye (would like to not just grill it, but use it in a recipe to stretch out the meal), 3 almost 4 lbs wild salmon, a few cans of tuna, a few veg, but I need to go grocery shopping, so that's what I'll get mostly while I'm out. Trying to decide if I am going to get conventional chicken this time, or not. I think costco sells organic whole chickens, so I might just do that. I'd love some creative ways to make a meat and veg meal for dinner..I tend do do that most nights, and it can get boring. Thanks for any input! Also, we don't use cheese substitutes for son, I just don't do many dairy based recipes. I drink raw milk in my coffee, and occasionally some parmesan on a salad or in a pasta dish. Thanks for your help! Trying to stay primal, but meat gets expensive! I think I'll try and get some more sardines and make lots of salads for lunch with sardines, since those are fairly cheap, considering how nutrient dense and filling they are.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 07-09-2010, 02:43 PM

would also like to add that I don't mind using beans, potatoes as a filler. Just mainly trying to stay grain free, especially since my allergies are horrible right now. I also don't mind making a dish that would allow my hubby to have bread, while I have lettuce or something, aka, burgers, etc. I've heard you can stretch out ground beef recipes with lentils..can you tell they're in there? never tried it.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Intoit - thanks for the info! I'll keep it flagged for when I'm ready to try IF. Right now I'm all about mastering my diet/eating habits first, to I don't crash at the end of an IF and reach for a coca cola or something like that

Just popping in to say hi & having fun sticking again to being grain free. Overall this is pretty easy to stay to, and its nice its summer with all the yummy veggies and fresh fruit too.

Had tacos last night in lettuce wraps with homemade salsa and avocado. MMMMM and now its lunch for today too! I feel like I'm on the cusp of a loss soon, but wow my body shape & comp is changing. I think its partial diet and partial the p90x workouts I'm doing.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Had tacos last night in lettuce wraps with homemade salsa and avocado. MMMMM and now its lunch for today too! I feel like I'm on the cusp of a loss soon, but wow my body shape & comp is changing. I think its partial diet and partial the p90x workouts I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

not as much nutrition in head lettuce, but I find it extremely satisfying for that crunch you get from corn tortillas. Very yum...

Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Had tacos last night in lettuce wraps with homemade salsa and avocado. MMMMM and now its lunch for today too!
That's it--I'm sold! We're totally having that for dinner! Mmm mmm mmmmmm!

I traditional foods
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM

I am not doing super long if's here but also don't eat right when I get up either- and have been working out in the am before eating. I will notice some hunger pains in the am a bit after I get up but then they pass for awhile. Now, I will usually eat supper at 6 or so and have bfast usually around 8- although this past week supper has been later and bfast earlier due to crazy schedule. I am anxious to see my belly lean out- I have extra skin as well My waist isn't that big= about 27 in around the middle but it still looks puffy especially at certain times.

re:neverdoingitagain- woah that is crazy about dh and the kids- hopefully he learned his lesson!

re: menu- I desperately need to make one myself!!!! I have to plan better next week! I am out of beef- due to get another 1/4 in a few weeks- so I have been buying some conventional and organic beef- right now I have lamb and chicken. If and when I get something figured out for this week I will post it- there will be a lot of crockpot meals on there for us!

Got my shoes in- woot! They seem to fit great but they rub on the back of one of my heels- there is plenty of room in there so I don't understand why it is rubbing on one side and not the other. There is this tab that sticks up so I am thinking of cutting it off.

Workouts are going well. I think I am noticing a difference in the arms and a bit more leanness in the belly but not sure- I should take pics!

food yesterday was sporadic- only snacks for lunch so I was famished for supper-
3 scrambled eggs and bacon
pepperoni(AFarms) and carrots
snack- coconut fortune cookies- these were so good- coconut and tapioca flour- I ate 5-13g Carbs worth
supper- a ton of pork chops- some roasted root veg's and peppers- fresh strawberries and lindt 85%

Now I need to get off of here and get my workout done before the kiddos wake up!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 AM

I do much better with a loose meal plan anyway. We do get a veggie box (every other week) which helps me to structure our dinners as well.

I am impressed with people who can do anything before their kids wake up! "sleeping in" for me is 6:30, mostly DS is up by 5:30 every day.

I have my period, I'm tired, side of my mouth is cracking, sore throat, and my tendonitis is flaring up. UGH. Nothing *so* bad but nothing so great either, and its not making me excited to cook. Oh and I've been starving but I think that is b/c of my cycle.

Last night I made riceless sushi and it was very good! Lightly cooked julienned carrots, avocado, and seasoned/baked tofu. Rolled up in nori.

dissertating mom to three

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM

emmaegbert- are you catching a cold or something? The sushi sounds good- nori is so good for you as well!

I generally get up at 5:30 or so= the kids don't usually wake up until 7am usually. I never could figure out how to do it w/ just 1 or 2 kids but it has worked well now w/ 3 kids- I love my morning time. I go to bed at the same time as the kids so I need the peace in the am!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
What are your thoughts on synthetic vitamins vs. whole food based/grown vitamins? [...] Do any of you feel synthetic vites are dangerous (aside from the vit A toxicity issue), and why? Or not? Just looking for opinions....
I don't have much informed input regarding those specific vites, I'm afraid, but will get back to you on it .

I do feel that with proper diet, there is not much supplementation that is needed. Even though the bulk of my diet is animal based I still feel I am getting proper nutrition. There's still a couple things I take though. I don't get nearly enough sunlight and burn when I do. Since sunscreen (and glass) blocks Vit D making UVB rays, I take Vitamin D. When I started it took me more than 6 months of high dosing to bring a severe deficiency into the normal range.

blueridgewoman - IF is much easier if you are consuming only a low amount of carbs, I couldn't imagine trying it if I ate them, it would make me feel cranky and starved ... For most normal non-diabetics even small amounts of carbs will cause a rise in blood sugar followed by an insulin spike. Take away the carbs and no more blood sugar swings. Blood sugar swings are also what trigger hunger response.

ryleigh'smama - definitely going to check out that website you mentioned. I used to be a lifter and loved it. Going to wait for baby to come though before I start lifting again. I think pregnancy halts production of HGH anyway.

_ktg_ - I still sneak in a diet rite cola every now and then, he he (no caffeine and splenda sweetened)

crunchy_mama - Yes! You should definitely take pics! Measurements are good too. Even when the scale isn't moving your body is still going to be changing it's shape, and being able to know that is happening is awesome motivation while your body is adjusting to its new weight inbetween pounds dropping.

Typical food for me in a day is usually about a 16-18 oz cut of red meat, if it's beef I eat it blue. If I am really starved I may add in some creamed spinach, made with heavy whipping and real butter. I eat pork only rarely, usually in the form of bacon.

Now that I am pregnant, I've split that meat (now cooked to at least medium *sigh*) serving into 2 meals, and always have the veg and sometimes a salad too. I have also added a 3rd meal to my days, often in the form of eggs, which I'm starting to get sick of. I love to eat all berries, cherries, prunes, dried figs. Every now and then I'll have an apple, banana, sweet potato. Along with some fruit, my snacking usually includes peanut butter or cheese, 2 foods which are no-no's for me, but oh well. (I actually have a pretty big "no-no" list, but I'll save it for another time )

Old 07-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I do much better with a loose meal plan anyway. We do get a veggie box (every other week) which helps me to structure our dinners as well.

I am impressed with people who can do anything before their kids wake up! "sleeping in" for me is 6:30, mostly DS is up by 5:30 every day.

I have my period, I'm tired, side of my mouth is cracking, sore throat, and my tendonitis is flaring up. UGH. Nothing *so* bad but nothing so great either, and its not making me excited to cook. Oh and I've been starving but I think that is b/c of my cycle.

Last night I made riceless sushi and it was very good! Lightly cooked julienned carrots, avocado, and seasoned/baked tofu. Rolled up in nori.
I mash and then spread an avocado on the nori where the rice would usually go. Sooo good. I've also used a chunky sunflower seed pate in place of the rice. Works great and adds protein/good fat!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post
would also like to add that I don't mind using beans, potatoes as a filler. Just mainly trying to stay grain free, especially since my allergies are horrible right now. I also don't mind making a dish that would allow my hubby to have bread, while I have lettuce or something, aka, burgers, etc. I've heard you can stretch out ground beef recipes with lentils..can you tell they're in there? never tried it.
I used to eat lentils, quite often actually. They do make a great filler and you can pair them with just about everything, even add them to a fruit smoothie (soaked until semi soft, not cooked) for added protein and fiber. I think they would be awesome in a meatloaf dish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I mash and then spread an avocado on the nori where the rice would usually go. Sooo good. I've also used a chunky sunflower seed pate in place of the rice. Works great and adds protein/good fat!
That sounds really yummy, I think I will be giving that a try!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Ok what new hell is this?
I got this week, which is fine. No cravings, no pms etc. BUT (here's where the hell comes in) I'm suddenly very weak, shaky, getting dizzy and greying out when I stand up. Low blood pressure? Low blood sugar?
I normally have low blood pressure(100/60 is average for me) and used to have some hypoglycemic symptoms. Never was diagnosed for it though since my glucose tests always came back normal
This is sooo frustrating! I definately get enough iron, so I know thats not the issue.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleigh'smama View Post
Just wanted to say thanks! I made it today and DH really liked it. I did have to triple the dressing, maybe I had bigger cabbage heads or something! I tried some but didn't like it, but he says he'll have no trouble eating that entire bowl himself.

About IF'ing--I'm REALLY really interested and want to try it. I'm nursing a 2 yo once a day still and am wondering if it's a good idea to IF or not. Going super low carb hasn't seemed to affect anything so maybe I could manage? I don't know, I get pretty hungry in the morning but maybe after couple of days of skipping breakfast I could adjust.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
emmaegbert- are you catching a cold or something? The sushi sounds good- nori is so good for you as well!

I generally get up at 5:30 or so= the kids don't usually wake up until 7am usually. I never could figure out how to do it w/ just 1 or 2 kids but it has worked well now w/ 3 kids- I love my morning time. I go to bed at the same time as the kids so I need the peace in the am!
Yah I think I'm a little sick. I've also just been working like a dog and not sleeping enough. I don't do well with that. I've been thinking about (but not yet acting on) the idea of going to bed by 9:30ish, and waking up at 5:00. My older one is the early riser, and the baby often sleeps until 6:30 or so. I think if I could get lunches packed and breakfast started at night, and then just go to bed, I could maybe wake up, make coffee, and write for an hour before starting breakfast while DS plays with his legos and other big-boy things. I know a couple of mom professors and recent PhDs who said they wrote from like 4:30-6 every day and it was the only way.

Breakfast is easy- almost always scrambled eggs and fruit, so it doesn't actually take more than 10 or 15 minutes from when I start to on the table. The problem is when the kitchen is a mess, and the table is a mess, and so then it takes a freaking half hour just to get to where I can make the eggs and fruit, ya know? But that is really, um, beside the point of this thread.

For dinner we had a yummy baked egg-and-buttermilk dish with leeks, feta, and spinach. And a big salad of romaine and spinach with apple cider vinegar and olive oil and salt. And then I rewarded us with some coconut bliss ice cream (a splurge in terms of $$ and carbs for us, but not SO bad) with some invented primal-ish chocolate sauce. The whole family was very enthusiastic.

Whats the deal with raw cacao powder? I just bought some on a whim at the coop. How is it different from regular unsweet cocoa? like different enough that it really matters? Per pound price seemed similar to high quality cocoa anyway.

dissertating mom to three

Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've still been working my butt off lately-- I had today off, but my sister threw my niece a birthday party, so that was pretty much the day!

Today was

B: bacon/eggs
L: salad, chicken drumstick, a bit of watermelon
D: Domino's chicken wings (ugggghhhh but they're GF), watermelon
S: ice cream, a bit of cream cheese frosting

Not so bad, I suppose, but...still.

Yep, with the IF, I usually try to skip lunch. So I eat a pretty large breakfast which is nearly zero carb- scrambled eggs in lots of CO, and plenty of bacon. It used to be that would carry me through to dinner at work around 7. But now I'm finding myself starving by 2 when I eat around 9am or so. Can't figure it out. If eat something very small around lunch time, the whole thing is resolved, so I think that's strange. Seriously- a piece of lunchmeat can take me from starving, chew-my-arm feeling to full.

Weirdest thing.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Yep, with the IF, I usually try to skip lunch. So I eat a pretty large breakfast which is nearly zero carb- scrambled eggs in lots of CO, and plenty of bacon. It used to be that would carry me through to dinner at work around 7. But now I'm finding myself starving by 2 when I eat around 9am or so. Can't figure it out. If eat something very small around lunch time, the whole thing is resolved, so I think that's strange. Seriously- a piece of lunchmeat can take me from starving, chew-my-arm feeling to full.

Weirdest thing.
Fascinating! I would personally just go with it and eat what you need to eat when you really want it.

The only thing that stops me from feeling hunger (when a pang hits) during an IF is drinking water--I think I confuse thirst for hunger quite a bit. If the water doesn't do it for me, then I probably need to eat something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert
About IF'ing--I'm REALLY really interested and want to try it. I'm nursing a 2 yo once a day still and am wondering if it's a good idea to IF or not.
I actually posted to MDC somewhere about this when I first wanted to try IFing. I got a resounding 'don't do it!' because of detoxing issues--detoxing into my milk. So I don't do super long IFs--probably 16 hours at most, but also mostly b/c that's when I'm ready to eat (or sooner!) This usually just ends up being me skipping breakfast, and sometimes I IF by skipping lunch. Not a huge deal. I'm frequently nursing my 3yo ds too, and have felt ok w/ it. I started by moving from a million snacks a day (I was a continual grazer) to eating 3 meals w/ 1-2 snacks (seriously--this was huge for me) to going 1 snack, to no snacks, to 2 meals some days. My meals got a lot larger as well--I certainly don't restrict calories. And there are still days where I snack and eat 3+ 'meals'--they are just fewer and farther between (and almost always when I'm PMSing...Like right now. I also think feeling physically fine while IFing is greatly related to lowered carb intake, at least for the pre-IF meal.

And neverdoingitagain that shaky/weak stuff sucks. Are you eating enough? Maybe coming down w/ something? Whatever the case, good luck getting through it, and I hope you feel much better fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoit
I do feel that with proper diet, there is not much supplementation that is needed. Even though the bulk of my diet is animal based I still feel I am getting proper nutrition. There's still a couple things I take though. I don't get nearly enough sunlight and burn when I do. Since sunscreen (and glass) blocks Vit D making UVB rays, I take Vitamin D.
Thanks for your input. I really feel this way too, inside. I have concerns over possible deficiencies that I'm working on overcoming, but a big part of me feels I *can* overcome them w/ mostly food alone. The 2 I'm most worried about not having a rich enough food source for are some of the Bs (maybe folate too??) along w/ minerals in general. I've got lots of food source ideas, but I'm just not positive they'll be enough. (I've been supping w/ high doses of Bs for a bit of time now, plus minerals in a daily multiple, and just worried about cutting them out, but at the same time really wanting to do so...)

I traditional foods
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 AM

I haven't posted on this forum much, but read often. i began a more primal lifestyle a couple of months ago and loved how good it made me feel, so much more energy etc but recently i have fallen off the wagon sweets are the main issue, i am having a lot of trouble resisting them!!! i need some inspiration! suggestions maybe to get back on track!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Today is better, period is done(I think)It was probably a symptom of not enough food. I accidently IFed until 2pm, though I was feeling lightheaded the day before too.
I cooked some chicken livers the day before and didn't eat them all. Ate some this morning for breakfast. Liver, bacon, eggs, zucchini strips. Nom Very good way to get my B's, and lots of other good stuff.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone else noticed that their urine is very acidic? Not "omg, it burns to pee" but ph stick not changing color at all? I've been eating a lot of alkaline foods, but haven't noticed a change.

I think I need to pull out that fat bar recipe we had posted here last year. Just need to buy some nuts I think. That and I need to look up that coconut flour pancake recipe that flour is calling to me!
Also need to remember to pick up spinach and kale when I shop.

User Tag List