Paleo and Primal ladies, it's July! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
haha - I'm about to post the unthinkable... but I need a snack idea.

And here's the criteria:

High in protein, lower in fat, prefer no carb, but def LC

Jerky--low in fat, no carbs, high protein

I'm tracking my calories and I'm lagging in proteins, and my fats are like 50% of my intake its all sunflower seeds, CO and 1/2 an avocado

50% sounds low in fat to me--I get at least 60% of my calories from fat, and that's probably on a lower fat day...On MDA he mentions multiple times that he gets around 55% of his calories from fat (which I think is kind of low too, but we each have different bodies and needs...) How much protein are you getting?

so ladies... what do you recommend? I'm tempted to grab a yogurt and call it good, but thought I would throw it out to y'all

Also, a/b carbs--if you are striving to follow PB/MDA recs, then don't subtract any carbs--it's not about net carbs w/ this--its total carbs.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM

lost my post to cyberspace- UGH

let's see....

lil_em- sorry you are sick hope you recover soon!

Vaquitta- sounds like you are getting back on track to me- I like to do a super lc day to reset as well

ktg- I agree w/ FR on the jerky and that your fat amt isn't too high

emmaegbert- I think whatever works for you- I did grainfree for a while w/ little splurges here and there- I still felt benefits. I feel more benefits now for me being 100% gluten free though- but I am intolerant- you have to see what works for you though

brw- sorry to hear about the glutening- I know how much that can throw you off!

Punchy_Kaby- many welcomes to the thread! I first started my grainfree journey coming from SCD- has been almost 5 yrs now.

re: carbs I don't subtract fiber either- not from the MDA numbers

re: oysters- I am so going to have to try those myself!

re: snacks- MDA has a post about fried avocado- I really want to try it grainfree dipped in egg and almond flour- YUM!

had bbq chicken last night and it was delicious! Also made coco milk icecream w/ cherries, some 85% choco chunks and chopped pecans- oh and vanilla bean- no added sweetner(other than what was in the chocolate- I used a half of a bar that is 10 g total for the whole batch- which is equivalent to about 2 tsps of sweetner). I will have to check on the cherries- not sure how much I used.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
re: carbs I don't subtract fiber either- not from the MDA numbers
why though? I thought that you don't digest fiber anyway... so why count it as part of dietary carbs? I am not being snarky, I really am kind of confused. When I had gest diabetes and was tracking blood sugar, I could eat veggies and nuts in abundance and there was no discernible effect on blood glucose levels, even if they were high in fiber. Is it about something other than blood sugar then?

I do not have- and really have never had-- digestive/tummy troubles. I am doing this b/c of my strong (genetic) risks for type II diabetes, and I am quite sure my body is just doing sooo much better very low grain and fruit, moderately low carb, and low/no sweetener. I would not describe myself as paleo or primal, but I've been joining in here b/c you all eat the closest to how I am eating (except for being veg!), b/c the low carbers seem to eat a lot of processed stuff, which is not my thing at all.

I'm not tracking my food though- too much work for me. How do you guys do it? pen and paper or on the computer? Seems like a drag to look up the nutritional content of everything, and weigh and measure everything all the time. I realize I'd probably just learn the amounts in the things I usually eat. How has tracking nutritional content helped you? (again, I am not being snarky at all! I am just trying to decide if its worth the trouble)

dissertating mom to three

Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
50% sounds low in fat to me--I get at least 60% of my calories from fat, and that's probably on a lower fat day...On MDA he mentions multiple times that he gets around 55% of his calories from fat (which I think is kind of low too, but we each have different bodies and needs...)
you know I've only been getting about 50% fat lately, maybe that's why i'm having more carb cravings... for some reason i'm having trouble eating more fat. i'll be hungry but the idea of eating meat or cheese is yucky, while fruit or toast sounds good. maybe it's the hot weather? i have some coconut spread in my cupboard thats not getting eaten, i should spread that on the fruit.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Also, a/b carbs--if you are striving to follow PB/MDA recs, then don't subtract any carbs--it's not about net carbs w/ this--its total carbs.
Hadn't thought of that.. but good to know. I'm using "myplate" program at livestrong and they give you a nice little pie chart of fats/proteins/carbs and my protein intake for the day was much lower than carbs, so I wanted to up that instead of grabbing for a piece of fruit.

The program does do something odd, which is separate out "carbs" vs "sugars" which seems bonkers to me, so I'm just adding them together to come up with my total carbs which was still low (120-150).

ETA - I did eat the yogurt and it was not great at all. It was like Dannon and just really, really sugary

ETAx2 - Vaquitta me too! Nothing sounds good except fresh fruit (not cheese or meat or even veggies right now) and popcorn

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Hey! I'm on a fruit-and-popcorn kick too right now! (haven't had popcorn yet) What is that??!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 PM

I'm on a fruit kick too, it's summer! I love fresh fruit in the summer time. My carbs have been higher because of it, but I'm doing well. I actually just started tracking calories again. Not so much carbs, because I am relatively low carb. I don't eat grains, or sugars so my numbers there are consistently below 150g so I'm fine with that. I have noticed that no matter how low my carbs, how high my fat, or protein, what really matters for me is calories. It's just a fact with my body. I guess it doesn't matter so much until I get to the last 5-10 lbs, then I have to pay attention to calories or the pounds will not come off.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

re: carb count- it is just that per the MDA recs you don't subtract the fiber- if you were going to do that then the rec's would be lower- I think it is just an easier way to look at it. As with anything though go by your body and how you work. I say if it working then don't change, but if not give it a try.

I am definitely higher sugar/carbs this week as well and I am certainly feeling less energetic because of it.

Just made some awesome homemade sausage/brats- not sure what to call them- I don't have casings to make official sausages= I rolled them in links and sauteed them- then sliced them and served them w/ carmelized onions- a bit of fried potatoes and cabbage

Quote:
Homemade Brats
1lb pork (or other groundmeat- better not to be too lean)
1 T garlic
1 t salt
1/2 t white ( or black pepper)
1/8 t chipolte and chili powder
generous sprinkle of ground cloves, sage and allspice
1/2 t liquid smoke
1.5 T red wine

Mix well and cook!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I'm not tracking my food though- too much work for me. How do you guys do it? pen and paper or on the computer? Seems like a drag to look up the nutritional content of everything, and weigh and measure everything all the time. I realize I'd probably just learn the amounts in the things I usually eat. How has tracking nutritional content helped you? (again, I am not being snarky at all! I am just trying to decide if its worth the trouble)
I did it on fitday for the first couple weeks until I learned the carb counts of various foods. That's how it helped me. If I want to, I can keep track in my head, which I'll do periodically for fun. But I _know_ when I choose higher carb foods that impact me negatively, b/c I know what those foods are and I feel it. I tend to eat liberally of veggies and fruits (which don't tend to bother me if I eat 1-3 servings a day, including lower carb ones like berries), but limit/restrict my nut and potato intake b/c I feel better w/ less. I also find it fun to experiment w/ VLC days, higher carb days (still under 150 g carb for the most part when cutting grains/legumes.) I like how I feel in the mda maintenance range, but want to do a consistently lower carb experiment for at least a couple weeks straight at some point--for me, that would be 75g or lower a day. We'll see!

As far as tracking goes I say track if its helpful to you, don't if its not.

I traditional foods
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM

todays food:

B- 1 fried egg, mozzarella, sprouted toast with butter.
L- salad with 3 oz steak, sunflower seeds, avacado
S- 1/2c macadamias
S- 1/4c chocolate coconut icecream, blackberries
D- homemade beef pozole, 2 corn tortillas, bit of cheese
S- tj's coffee latte bar topped with .5 oz almonds and 1/4c chocolate coconut icecream. followed by 2 squares of 73% choc and blackberries.

i was sure my carbs would be higher than i want, after all that desert, but when i entered it on fitday i got: 2500 cal, 200.2g fat (69% woohoo!), 112.6g carbs, 81g protein. i think those macadamias i had for a snack really helped getting my fat up for the day. i do seem to be lacking in protein today. i try for 100g. though i can't remember why i have that number stuck in my head, maybe back from my brewer diet days? idk.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM

grumble, grumble..... sugar/carb intake still too high..... energy level is not where it should be........ Did I mention to you ladies I had a bit of gf fruit cake Monday? Had a playdate and a friend brought it to share- so I indulged some. At this point I should know better, I really should. No grains, nada. If I do then it should be the grains themselves- NOT the flour- which along w/ sugar is the devil.

So, today I have ate a whole Lindt 85% bar(20g carbs there), had some leftover cabbage/pot/sausage (not a lot of pot but some), and some turkey. I need to make some bacon!

Dh and I are taking the older kids to my moms for the next 2 days I need energy! I am supposed to start out at the CF gym this coming week as well- must fix this!

Ok, enough whining, going to cook bacon and work on supper- I have a big lamb roast in the crockpot- think I will bake some sweet potatoes for the family and fry some green beans.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM

todays food:

B- was in a rush ate grilled cheese on sprouted bread. kombucha.
L- out. cheeseburger with 1/2 bun, a few fries, ice tea.
S- tbsp coconut spread on 2 sq 71% choc and 3 oz raspberries.
d plans- beef roast, yams, roasted broccoli (will try not to eat the gold potatoes i'm making for everyone else)

doing pretty good today, considering the 3 slices of bread and fries. 97g of carbs so far. i anticipate i'll eat about 36g of carbs at dinner between the yams and broccoli.

today's totals ended up being 61% fat 132g carbs

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 AM

I'M ALIVE!!!

Whew, that was a doozy of a virus. I'm finally feeling better, albeit a bit weaker than usual.

Todays eats were leftover meatza from last night (so good! A must try for those who haven't yet had the MEATZA EXPERIENCE)

A small cup of old fashioned soft serve. The little store in our village makes it every day, and it's made with real cream and so good and rich. A small indulgence, and totally worth it!)

Dinner was my new favorite hot weather salad, chicken bruschetta salad. If anyone wants the recipe let me know!

Gonna pick back up on my push up and sit up challange now that I can breathe again.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I'M ALIVE!!!
Yay!

Quote:
Dinner was my new favorite hot weather salad, chicken bruschetta salad. If anyone wants the recipe let me know!
When you're feeling up to typing it out, I'm sure we'd ALL love the recipe!!!

I traditional foods
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I'M ALIVE!!!

Whew, that was a doozy of a virus. I'm finally feeling better, albeit a bit weaker than usual.

Todays eats were leftover meatza from last night (so good! A must try for those who haven't yet had the MEATZA EXPERIENCE)

A small cup of old fashioned soft serve. The little store in our village makes it every day, and it's made with real cream and so good and rich. A small indulgence, and totally worth it!)

Gonna pick back up on my push up and sit up challange now that I can breathe again.
YUM. I've never heard of meatza, but now i must try it! and yes, please share your chicken bruschetta salad recipe.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH bought keto sticks and I began tracking my ketones. After two weeks of being in ketosis and eating less than 50g of carbs a day, I went to work and was dizzy, felt like my muscles were lead heavy and began seeing spots. I drank some OJ felt better for a while and then after 8 hours felt that way again, so again drank some OJ (and I have a lunch inbetween! roast beef with some cheesy potatoes - the first time for a potato product for me in almost five months)

SO I get up the next day and again I feel like my body can't function. I ate a big salad hoping that would help but it didn't. I finally splurged like a madwoman and had an ice cream sundae from DQ and for the next two days I felt better.

But then I became run down again.

Is this my body trying to go through the "low carb flu" that everyone talks about?

Before this very low carb thing I was eating between 60-120 grams a day, but under 50 grams a day and my body felt really run down and awful.

Should I power through?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM

oooh I'm excited to try the Meatza experience. I'll have to make a small one otherwise DH will freak - carbs work for him.

my coffee is tasting terrible today... I think the cream I had leftover from yesterday went bad

Dinner last night was a stretch - breadless BLAT with cheese sandwiches- I did them with lettuce roll-ups. Not to bad.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Is this my body trying to go through the "low carb flu" that everyone talks about?

Before this very low carb thing I was eating between 60-120 grams a day, but under 50 grams a day and my body felt really run down and awful.

Should I power through?
IDK--*sounds* like low-carb flu stuff, but why are you wanting to go below 50 g carbs a day? If you don't have a specific purpose, and feel good at between 60-120, I'd stay there (maybe on the lower end if you're trying to lose weight, etc). I've never gone vlc, and only down to like 60 rarely and sporadically for the most part...So my input isn't really from experience.

Interested to hear what others think!

I traditional foods
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Should I power through?
Listen to what your body is telling you. You should have no problem staying in ketosis and losing weight at 60-80 (or even more!) carbs a day. Going lower does not mean you'll lose weight faster, in fact a lot of people are not able to tolerate very low carb at all. Some stop losing altogether if carbs go too low. Go back up to where you felt good.

The "low carb flu" you speak of... this is a result of depleting the glycogen stores from your muscles when you first start low-carbing, if you are going to experience it it happens in the first 2-4 days of changed eating habits before you go into ketosis.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoit View Post
The "low carb flu" you speak of... this is a result of depleting the glycogen stores from your muscles when you first start low-carbing, if you are going to experience it it happens in the first 2-4 days of changed eating habits before you go into ketosis.
Fascinating! Some folks on MDA talk about low carb flu lasting for weeks--I've read some folks saying it took 6 weeks for their bodies to get adjusted. Is that just bs or something else or...?

I traditional foods
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Now that I've had fun with ph strips, I think I need ketone strips. I hear some odd ranges for when you should be going into ketosis, so I wouldn't mind finding out when exactly I'm in ketosis, if at all.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoit View Post
Listen to what your body is telling you. You should have no problem staying in ketosis and losing weight at 60-80 (or even more!) carbs a day. Going lower does not mean you'll lose weight faster, in fact a lot of people are not able to tolerate very low carb at all. Some stop losing altogether if carbs go too low. Go back up to where you felt good.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's weird isn't it? I never felt any of the typical "low carb" symptoms when I converted from a SAD to the primal diet, and I did stop eating sugar and what all of a sudden. I felt jittery a bit? But nothing like run down and leaden such as the symptoms I felt recently.

I want to try this because my weight loss has definitely stalled. I lost approx 15 pounds in the first three months and the last two months have only lost 3.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM

And I absolutely need to lose weight. This is a matter of health. I am currently 277 lbs.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM

GGL, first of all,

I can't remember, have you tried cutting dairy and/or nuts/seeds? Sometimes I think if we have trouble digesting something/tolerating something, it can keep weight on us as well.

Good luck--I hope you figure out what will work best for you!!!!! I know it can be sooooo frustrating to make so many huge changes w/out seeing real results...

I traditional foods
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM

geek! My first thought is something hormonal - thyroid, adrenals etc.. Have you gotten your thyroid function checked out lately?

I'm quickly reading up on the symptoms of ketosis and tiredness/fatigue is one of them and of course reversing ketosis is accomplished by eating carbs.

All I can say is monitor yourself for a couple of days, take it easy, eat lots of protein, drink lots of water and be patient with your body as it adjusts, maybe you have to go this low to put your body in ketosis. good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

I cut out nuts entirely for a while (just started eating them again when I decided that VLC wasn't working for now) and reduced dairy, but never cut it out entirely.

I think it would be useful for me to cut out dairy entirely. I was so amazed by how much my GERD improved when I cut out grains. I found out for sure that it was grains specifically as when I ate a few servings of triscuits over the course of three days, it came back with a vengeance. It took about a month for it to go away again.

But the actuality of giving up dairy is something else entirely! What do I eat? Life without butter or cheese (which is all the dairy I ever eat) seems unfathomable!

Good substitute suggestions welcome!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
geek! My first thought is something hormonal - thyroid, adrenals etc.. Have you gotten your thyroid function checked out lately?

I'm quickly reading up on the symptoms of ketosis and tiredness/fatigue is one of them and of course reversing ketosis is accomplished by eating carbs.

All I can say is monitor yourself for a couple of days, take it easy, eat lots of protein, drink lots of water and be patient with your body as it adjusts, maybe you have to go this low to put your body in ketosis. good luck!
I should have it checked again, but in the past all levels have been normal. It's been about two years, though.

Yeah, tiredness and fatigue is right! Holy crap, the mother of all tiredness and fatigue. Leaden heavy, feel like I can't go on, when all I'm doing is walking about. Not fun. And not safe when I'm taking care of patients.

Even though it's "against" primal, I'm going to try and eat smaller meals more often. See if that helps with the symptom management.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
But the actuality of giving up dairy is something else entirely! What do I eat? Life without butter or cheese (which is all the dairy I ever eat) seems unfathomable!
It is absolutely true that food allergies/sensitivities will prevent weight loss. Hormones are very tricky things and easy to throw out of whack with the wrong stuff. I would try cutting out the dairy... many of the "paleo" people I know that don't eat dairy still do OK with butter (it's mostly fat), myself included (I cook everything in it!). Just be sure you are getting enough to eat from non-dairy food sources, this will help keep you from craving it. ... Case in point... I thought I'd never be able to give up cheeses... but a few weeks after I did I realized I felt sooo much better and weight started coming off again.

Another thing LC'ers do when trying to lose the weight... if you hit a stall for more than a week, you can try having a "higher" carb day. It works for some people, you eat at least half of your day a pretty high amount of carbs, waaay more than what you eat while LC'ing. In theory this "shocks" your system and when you go back to your LC way of eating the following day your body starts working again towards weight loss.

Some people also lose a lot slower than others. During the few weeks of a stall your body has to readjust to its new weight, but you may still see differences in your measurements. If you are taking any meds they can severely hinder weight loss. Going back to food allergies, the other major offenders are corn, soy, eggs, nuts, and fish/shellfish. I wouldn't worry about fish unless you know you are allergic, but the other things listed are major offenders that are very common in everyday foods, it may be worth cutting them out until you find a good groove in your eating style that makes you feel great and lets your body start going back to its desired natural weight.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Fascinating! Some folks on MDA talk about low carb flu lasting for weeks--I've read some folks saying it took 6 weeks for their bodies to get adjusted. Is that just bs or something else or...?
What comes to my mind is mineral imbalance, usually potassium, magnesium, and/or sodium. Eating low carb is very diuretic for the body, especially when first beginning it. You can lose a lot of minerals in excretion, especially if you are not eating or supplementing to replace them. Potassium is the big offender, which causes all sorts of nuisances if too low... body aches, muscles cramps, sweats, major fatigue. Being low on Mg contributes to nervousness (ie shakiness, anxiety, sleeplessness). Supplemental magnesium can provide some relief, just not mag oxide because it's very poorly absorbed by the body. In fact, you can get a lot more magnesium into your body through your skin by soaking in a bath of epsom salts that by taking a supplement.

Excess calcium also depletes magnesium... normal adults really don't need to be taking extra calcium in supplement form if they are eating LC... LC eating prevents leaching of calcium from the body.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM

and vitamin D. Another thing to have checked is your vitamin D levels. And Zinc.
I was feeling pretty crappy the days I ate vlc, still not exactly sure why. I started eating MORE and stuff with high levels of mag. and pot. Then I added more carbs Its a work in progress...

Oh and wth is with kale? I can't find any, anywhere! Fresh or canned...not even frozen! I guess I need to hit the farmers market on thursday.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 

User Tag List