Superfoods? Additional stuff for TTC? My Plan. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 245 Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Crunchy_mama, I've read on MDC and in some Susun Weed writing that sun tea will not get the minerals out of the herbs/into the water the way boiling water will. BUT, maybe sun tea has the vitamins and boiling harms them in some way?? (I feel like I read this _somewhere_ ) I totally can't remember, but I'd look into it more, depending on what your reasons for making it are...
Yes, I remember that discussion! The best guess is that the boiling water does destroy the heat-sensitive vites, like some of the B's. But it draws out the minerals. So you would use the sun tea and the infusion for different purposes...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#62 of 245 Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 PM

If I do a RRL, nettles, dandeloin infusion should I just do equal parts herbs plus a little peppermint? I really want to start this up since it is summer and sounds yummy

Congrats mom61508! I hope to join you anytime!Yay babies!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#63 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

newcastlemama, that's sort of what I intend to do--2 Tbs of a couple herbs, 1 tbs of a couple others, etc, depending on the ratios I want. I prob won't mi them all together b/4 hand (although I've done it b/4 and it was helpful for speed reasons) as I may want to mix it up and do some 'simples' as mbravebird mentioned. This is one I had in mind, based on some of the recs earlier in the thread: 2 parts Oatstraw, 2 parts RRL, 1-2 parts Nettles (depending on my tolerance--sulfation issues ), 1 part alfalfa, .5 part rosehips and spearmint...

Ok, I just visited JaneS's WAHMarket, and found probiotics I'd like to try (when I have the $), along w/ a mineral taste test kit that I think would help me feel more secure a/b choosing not to supp minerals (through pills, etc)--made by bodybio, who I originally was planning to get liquid zinc supps from. Sweet! (And seriously, how important is it for me to be spending money on luxuries like toilet paper, gas and rent? I can totally afford all this stuff! )

And she also has this to say a/b magnesium oil:

Quote:
Ancient Minerals Magnesium Oil

This is another product I cannot live without... and the Ancient Minerals Oil form of magnesium is the best absorbed, doesn't alter gut function (doesn't give you the runs!) and is third party tested to be pure.

Magnesium is one of the lowest minerals in the standard American diet. It's hard to get a lot of this nutrient... and the benefits of magnesium supplementation are great. (Or should I say the deficiency of magnesium causes many health problems.) For digestion, the heart, the brain, the teeth and bones. Magnesium supports the function of hundreds of enzymes in the body.

Personally it helps me completely relax and handle stress on a day to day basis. I honestly cannot believe the difference in my personality and mood during what is clearly the most difficult time in my life (going thru divorce). I also use it on my son and am trying to get his stores stocked up since he probably inherited his deficiency from my depleted body. He is even more of a happy guy and sleeps so well when using this!

For more info see Dr. Carolyn Dean's book The Magnesium Miracle and Marc Sircus OMD's Transdermal Magnesium Therapy.
Pretty rockin eh? Woo hoo! Unfortunately my (multiple!) local Asian markets don't carry the nigari flakes so I'm planning to order some from the cheap source I posted earlier.

This stuff is all so exciting!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#64 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

So Bs-Bs-Bs-Bs are still running through my mind. I think I'm going to *try* and do some nutritional yeast. I found this recipe for a cheesy sauce that is supposed to be awesome (not sure what I'll use for flour, trying to be pretty paleo/grainfree over here and sometimes avoiding tubers...). *Maybe* I'll like it NOW, after living a pretty allergen-free, non-dairy lifestyle. *Maybe* it will taste cheesy and wonderful to me? We'll see. I might try to start collecting recipes here though, just fyi!

ETA, from WAPF's superfoods page:

Quote:
Yeast: Dried nutritional yeast is an excellent natural source of B complex vitamins (except for B12) plus a variety of minerals. Look for yeast that has been processed at low temperatures. Yeast does not contribute to candida as has been claimed—candida feeds on refined carbohydrates, not yeast. The late eminent physician Dr. Henry Bieler treated many cases of chronic fatigue with yeast supplements.

I traditional foods
#65 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 AM

I make a nutritional yeast cheese sauce, the recipe is here. It's pretty darn good if I do say so myself - the coconut milk makes it very rich!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#66 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
I make a nutritional yeast cheese sauce, the recipe is here. It's pretty darn good if I do say so myself - the coconut milk makes it very rich!
I wonder if I can make it w/out the cashews and miso b/c of ds' intolerances. But cocomilk + nut. yeast = cheese sauce sounds like a great idea for us! I'm going to keep looking for alterations on the recipe you linked!

ETA: I should clarify--I *do* eat nuts and cashews and such, but ds needs to avoid them (he does better w/ NO nuts/seeds in his diet, at least right now--also avoids chocolate, strawberries and oranges, along w/ gluten/dairy/soy and corn--his biggies). So I *will* use nuts as a supp for me, but probably won't use them in cooking (as I can sneak a couple of nuts as a snack when ds isn't looking, but would probably not make a big snack or meal that ds wouldn't be able to eat.) Just wanted to clarify!!

I traditional foods
#67 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Love this thread.

And here are more ideas: 101 most nourishing foods while ttc/pregnant/nursing

Pat

I have a blog.
#68 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Love this thread.

And here are more ideas: 101 most nourishing foods while ttc/pregnant/nursing

Pat
Thanks for the link Pat!!!

And, all I can say (to quote a classic song from Karate Kid) is, "You're the inspiration"!! The whole food nutrition info you share here and at heal-thyself, as you know, started my real interest in traditional foods and utilizing foods for healing, and really just changed my life. I've gotten away from it a bit--relying on supps more than I think I'd like to (whike still eating really well). I really want to be more diligent a/b getting all my goodies from foods again, hence the thread.

Anyway, good to *see* you here! Your input is always welcome and greatly appreciated!!!

I traditional foods
#69 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

From 101 most nourishing foods while ttc/pregnant/nursing

This list, or one similar, is what got me started w/ TF and really focussed on healing w/ foods--lots of goodies here:
Quote:
homemade bone broth every. single. day. 1cup (MANY nutrients needed, plus minerals)
homemade milk kefir every. single. day. 1 cup (gradually work up) (B vits, enzymes, most probiotics in proper ph)

green smoothie every. single. day. day 2 cups (any fruit + any dark leafy greens, rotate produce. tons of vit, minerals, enzymes)
liver one ounce, only three times a week. (B-vits, iron)

coconut oil 1 Tbls every. single. day. (medium chain fatty acids, kills candida in the large intestine)
fermented CLO, every. single day. (most expensive item) (vit A, D, K, EFAs)
Bubbies sauerkraut 1 Tbls. every. single. day. (or other raw, fermented food) (probiotics, improves stomach acid)
Brazil nuts 1 ONLY, every. single. day. (selenium)

Celtic Sea Salt a pinch in every glass of water, broth. (microminerals)
Lemon juice, fresh squeezed, 1 tsp. in every glass of water or smoothie. (alkalizing to body ph, paradoxically)
Raw local honey, 1 Tbls at bedtime. (helps bifidum bacteria to grow in the gut)
Egg yolk, 1 per day. (if not IgE)

Lentils, 1 cup per day. (folate, molybdenum)
Red Raspberry Leaf Infusions, 1 cup per day.
Nettle Leaf Infusions, 1 cup per day. (Vitamins A, C, D and K, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron and sulphur)
Wild Alaskan Salmon, 4 oz, three times a week.
Kelp, 1 tablespoon, organic, heavy metal tested.

Epsom salt baths for the sulfate.

http://www.herbshealing.com/Article_...y_Problems.htm
http://www.naturalbloom.com/articles...php?article=37
And revisiting it, brought to mind a couple of things:

I MUST be diligent a/b brazil nuts for the selenium b/c of my supping w/ kelp issues (you can see the thread for that stuff)! *Maybe* I'll try doing more kelp again sometime once I've got everything else in place and see what happens. I'm really not sure when I want to TTC, as I do want to feel I've got all my stuff together b/4 doing that. And again, I've got sulfation pathway issues to work out...Well, we'll see.

And, how much fish, specifically salmon, *can* I eat safely in pregnancy? (wild, canned--really, in a metal pouch.) I see Pat recs. 4 oz, 3x a week. Can I eat more than that? I found a way to make a salmon salad that I love on MDA--its easy and fast and I know I could do it multiple times a week. Salmon, a little mustard, finely chopped onion, lots of black pepper, fresh parsley, squirt of lemon juice, salt and kelp flakes to taste. It's probably going to be my new breakfast when ds is eating things made w/ eggs since I'm avoiding them now (although this morning we both at the salmon salad.) I like it better than my old salmon cakes (that had eggs) and am just really excited about it!! (I've NEVER eaten fish seafood, so this is a good thing for me.)

I traditional foods
#70 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 PM

prenatal allergy prevention, nutrition-style and whoMe, part II - healing foods are full of helpful superfood info, too.

Wild salmon is fine and beneficial.

Here are the fish to avoid: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP03642...-to-Avoid.html

Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish

Try some crab salad or sardines, scallops or shrimp for variety.
Pat

I have a blog.
#71 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Coconut Cream Cheese (w/ Nutritional Yeast) You'd have to eat a lot of this to get much nutritional yeast out of it (the whole recipe calls for only 1.5 tsp nut.yeast) but it sounds good to this dairy free mama!

I traditional foods
#72 of 245 Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
prenatal allergy prevention, nutrition-style and whoMe, part II - healing foods are full of helpful superfood info, too.

Yay! I remember those!!!

Wild salmon is fine and beneficial.

Here are the fish to avoid: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP03642...-to-Avoid.html

Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish

Thank you!!!

Try some crab salad or sardines, scallops or shrimp for variety.

Lol. It was a big step for me to eat salmon, but I'm sure if I could figure out how to prepare these goodies, they would be GREAT for me to add in...

Actually, as far as zinc goes (a mineral I'm worried about getting enough of), aren't oysters the best source?

http://www.canadianliving.com/health...incoysters.php
Quote:
Zinc is a trace mineral found in almost every cell in your body, necessary for growth, reproduction, warding off disease and more. The food that contains the highest amount of zinc is the oyster (1 medium oyster contains 12.7 mg. which is more than the RDA for a woman).
School me mamas. For my minerals, could I, say, eat my *weekly* RDA for zinc in oysters (say, as a meal 1x a week) and store the zinc that way? Or does it flush out like vit. C, etc.?

And slightly OT, but does anyone have links on the theory that humans lived in the ocean for part of our evolutionary history, which is why we really NEED seafoods to thrive, and possibly a major reason so many traditional peoples went out of their way to get their hands on seafood? I just think it's totally fascinating...

ETA: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0201625AAIVroE Some ideas for cooking oysters...

Bumblebee recipes for canned oysters

world's best oyster soup

I traditional foods
#73 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

So I bought some Red Star nutritional yeast tonight, and tried an alteration on the 2 cheese sauce recipes posted, which came out pretty well. I'm not in love w/ it, but w/ a little tweaking, it could be really good--esp over cabbage roll enchiladas (yum!!!)

Nutritional Yeast Cheese Sauce

1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbs. tapioca flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 cup coconut milk (Loved the idea from Sayward's post)
1/2 cup water
1-1 1/2 cups salsa (I eyeballed all this...)

Blend dry ingredients in a pan, add coconut milk and water, whisk while heating until it thickens. Add salsa and continue cooking a few more minutes.

The biggest excitement for me, tonight, is that the nut. yeast tastes ok. Maybe it's the brand, or maybe my tastebuds have changed a lot since I last tried it (highly possible). For fun, I did a shot of it in a small portion of green smoothie, and while not delicious, I was able to take it down easily (holding my breath, as I did in my party days ). I think I'll totally be ok adding it to various foods along w/ salt/pepper and kelp flakes, and if I feel like I need a boost of Bs I can always take a shot!

Red Star Nutritional Yeast Nutrition Info for 1.5 TBS:

Quote:
Thiamin (B1) 640%
Riboflavin (B2) 565%
Niacin (B3) 280%
Vitamin B6 480%
Folic Acid (Folate) 60%
Vitamin B12 133%
Zinc 21%
The next recipe I want to try is some sort of pesto using basil, nutritional yeast (in place of parm.), and olive oil, salt and pepper. (I won't add the pinenuts b/c of ds, although I may try that for me at some point...)

Yay!

I traditional foods
#74 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 AM

Ya, know I had tried nut yeast forever ago and hated it but now really enjoy it. I wonder as well if it is my tastebuds or a brand difference. I made a cheese sauce and scalloped potatoes here while back and loved it but nobody in the house liked it. dd1 loves it on popcorn, ds hates anything it is on as does dh. I have made an alfredo w/ it and really enjoyed that as well- last time I did that w/ zuc noodles and some shitakes- man it was good. I have been craving it but haven't had the time to make it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#75 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hated nutritional yeast as a kid and love it now - must be one of those things!

We're not planing to TTC for another 9 months, but tell me - how long before TTC would you really go all-out on nutrition? I mean, obviously we should be eating well all the time, and goodness knows my diet needs work - but for how many months prior to conceiving would you really ramp up the supps, teas, folate etc? Three? Six? I don't recall NT mentioning for how long pre-industrial cultures did the pre-TTC nutrition thing for their childbearing women.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#76 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 AM

I havent been on for a few days and a great thread has already taken off. I am still catching up but after reading only a few posts, I had to write.

our4corners.net is a good price, but I found out where they ge their stuff from and it is way cheaper- www.herbalcom.com. Enjoy!

From my latest research, spirulina and chlorella is actually a unhealthy helathfood. Herbalist Susun Weed mentions it as "toxic". I am no longer taking it ever again for now. It is an algae, and not a nutritious sea green. Algae is pond scum, not agood thing. I can direct you to more info if you want.

For infusions if you are not good with nettles (which would be my first chioce), there is comfrey leaf, red clover (great for fertility), and clovers roots reach so deep and pull up minerals, alfalfa (tastes gfross, so I just adda small amount in to other infusions, and add lots of mint to make it taste good), dandelion is strong, so I just go out with my 3 yr old and we collect dandeilion for dinner and throw it in soups, salads (the small leaves only for raw eating), stir frys, even when I cook a big pot of brown rice it is filled with finely chopped dandelion and lots of red clover blossoms. Also plantain is full of nutrition and goes into soups and such. Also RRL is great butI don't like to add boiling water to it as it get way too strong.

Another super food is chia seeds! Love 'em and feel great with them.

Watch out for nutritional yeast as I hear it is enriched with synthetic vitamins, yo umught as well take a crap supplment. Brewers yeast is natural and lewis labs is the only one that is non-GMO.

Sorry if I repeated anything discussed, but I seriously started postig after reading 3 posts and got too excited.
#77 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Crunchy--any recipes for the cheese sauces?

Smokering--from NT, section Feeding Babies on pg 598:
Quote:
Any effort to ensure optimal nutrition of your baby must begin long before he or she is conceived. The wisdom of primitive peoples is vastly superior to our own in this regard, in that a common practice among isolated groups is the feeding of special foods to both men and women for a period of time before conception occurs. Dr. Weston Price's studies revealed that these foods--including organ meats, fish heads, fish eggs, shell fish, insects and animal fats--were rich in fat-soluble vitamins A and D as well as macro- and trace minerals. Couples planning to have children should eat liberally of organic liver and other organ meats, fish eggs and other seafood, eggs, and the best quality butter, cream and fermented milk products they can obtain for at least six months before conception. A daily cod liver oil supplement is also adviced...Organic meats, vegetables, grains and legumes should round out the diet, with a special emphasis on the leafy green vegetables rich in folic acid, which is necessary for the prevention of birth defects like spina bifida.
I'm not sure I'll wait that long, as I feel I've been trying to eat really well for the past 2 years, and was at least supplementing important nutrients as well, but I also would start as soon as possible. I hadn't thought about TTC again (ever) as DH and I had discussed DS would be our only kiddo, in part b/c of the many challenges we have faced due to nutrient deficiency and toxicity related sensitivity issues. He just brought it up to me recently, that he wanted another, which has thrown me for a loop--but in a really good way, so I'm scrambling for all this stuff. DS is 3 now, and I think I'd like to TTC/get pregnant sooner than later (mostly b/c of their age gap, which I know will work out no matter what, but I'd still like to try soon). I was planning to maybe start trying in Sept, but I really want to get my vit/mineral stuff together b/4 then. I will wait longer if I feel I'm not in tip-top shape for this, as preconception nutrition is something I lacked the first time, and I feel impacted me and DS immensly...

If I were in yours shoes, and planning to TTC in 9 months, I'd probably use the next 3 months to get my sources of various superfoods etc and start adding them in regularly, so they could become part of my routine. And then go all the way w/ them 6 months prior to preg, as SF says in NT. I probably would have started really focusing on this a while ago if I had considered having another before now as well...

ETA: Allergen free Caesar Salad Dressing and another I want to try. I'm on a seafood kick (in terms of wanting to get more in)...

I traditional foods
#78 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

GABA rich foods

Quote:
Here is a list of the best food sources for GABA. These foods don’t contain GABA but they contain glutamate or glutamic acid, which forms glutamine in your body and is a precursor to GABA. The list is basically in descending order of how much you get from a typical portion.

Almonds
Whole wheat
Mackerel
Halibut
Whole grain oats
Beef liver
Walnuts
Rice bran
Lentils
Brown rice
Potato
Broccoli
Spinach
Banana
Orange
I've been following the GABA thread in allergies, and thinking this could be really important for ds and I...

I traditional foods
#79 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
So, I read this article by Dr. Ron Schmidt about the differences between synthetic and food based vitamins.

That is totally what the Garden of Life brand is as well (2nd type). He recommends Thorne Research products for supping large amounts of vits/minerals (like the Bs I'm wanting to supp...) and says not to supp fat soluable vits synthetically (A, D, E, K), but through foods...He also has a vit/mineral supp on his site that is extremely expensive, although it *seems* to contain some good, absorbable forms of vites...

Oh I'm confused...
I like the vitamin code line and got my iron up whe I was anemic with the raw iron and it worked and is way cheaper than floradix. I havent been taking it lately or the b complex or raw calcium since I am focusing o more foods, but may take it ifi feel the need to. I can get it really cheap for $10 a btooel and free shipping. Works for my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Chicken liver is one of the "OK" sources of K2, too. Higher than beef liver. Although beef liver is higher in everything else.

Which reminds me -- Fairy Rae, are you anywhere near the middle of the country? You might be able to get mail-order goose liver if you are. And goose liver is VERY high in K2.

So interesting about how the food-based vites are made. Thanks for that!

Here's the table of K2-rich foods from the WAPF site (K-4 refers to the K2 that is animal-based, rather than bacteria-based. They last different amounts of time in the body and function slightly differently):

FOOD
VITAMIN K2 (MCG/100G)
Natto
1103.4 (0% MK-4)
Goose Liver Paste
369.0 (100% MK-4)
Hard Cheeses
76.3 (6% MK-4)
Soft Cheeses
56.5 (6.5% MK-4)
Egg Yolk (Netherlands)
32.1 (98% MK-4)
Goose Leg
31.0 (100% MK-4)
Curd Cheeses
24.8 (1.6% MK-4)
Egg Yolk (United States)
15.5 (100% MK-4)
Butter
15.0 (100% MK-4)
Chicken Liver
14.1 (100% MK-4)
Salami
9.0 (100% MK-4)
Chicken Breast
8.9 (100% MK-4)
Chicken Leg
8.5 (100% MK-4)
Ground Beef (Medium Fat)
8.1 (100% MK-4)
Bacon
5.6 (100% MK-4)
Calf Liver
5.0 (100% MK-4)
Sauerkraut
4.8 (8% MK-4)
Whole Milk
1.0 (100% MK-4)
2% Milk
0.5 (100% MK-4)
Salmon
0.5 (100% MK-4)
Mackerel
0.4 (100% MK-4)
Egg White
0.4 (100% MK-4)
Skim Milk
Fat-Free Meats
I don't see duck liver on there.
Quote:
Probably b/c I always say we're 'dairy free', when ghee really *is* dairy. (We just don't react to it--phew!)

Awesome. I'll keep all of this in mind though, and continue looking into it more. I honestly have never even thought about K2 b/4 this thread...
We cut ghee out and feel way better. I htought we were fine with it, but may health issues were from the ghee, the last bit of dairy in our diets. Glad it works for you.

I just typed up a bunch, but it got erased so here it goes again.

Dh has been reserching and reading all about adding in sea minerla. We have been adding in trace mineral from sea weeds because of it. Trace minerlas (and all of them) are so important. We think that calcium is needed for health bones and teeth, and sure it is, but it is also the trace minerals. When we are lacking in a trace mineral, we rely on a closely related one to fulfill our requirements until taht is use up and we move onto the next one until we are just worn out. When we have all the trace minerla we need we are supposed to we healthy.
We are expermenting with our gardens and it is proving right. We put sea minerlas and soil microorganisms one some areas and it grows 20x's faster, and is resistant to diesease and pests. We isolated areas that were ridden with pests and sickly and them gave them the sea minerlas and the pest have fled. Pests don't even want to be around us. I was in a group of people that eat pretty healthy and they were all swatting at bugs and I had none around we and the kids. I was bitten for the firts time the other day all summer and don't wear bug spray and am out all the time. I wonder if it is the trace minerals.
Sorry to ramble on, but as you can see I am really excited about this topic.
#80 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Honestly I take it like a shot and most of the time I get a burst of energy! Ask pasberjorne(uh can't spell you know who right?) about it she told me about I think?? I just don't know If it's do detoxifying during pregnancy or not but before I'm sure it would be good.
We know who you mean. She is the best. Wouldn't it be nice if she visited this thread...
Interesting threads with milk thistle info
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=618836
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=653048

BTW not to hijack your thread but just found out I'm pregnant today Was totally unexpected sooooooooo I'm really trying to get my head together to figure the supp thing all out. I did order organ delight today tho.
Congrats!! Such great news!
#81 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Crunchy_mama, I've read on MDC and in some Susun Weed writing that sun tea will not get the minerals out of the herbs/into the water the way boiling water will. BUT, maybe sun tea has the vitamins and boiling harms them in some way?? (I feel like I read this _somewhere_ ) I totally can't remember, but I'd look into it more, depending on what your reasons for making it are...
I don't ever boil my water, but I do get it hot and sometimes hotter if I am feeling the need for it. And I also set it in the sun sometimes after pouring the boiling water on it.
Quote:
Also, as far as mixing herbs goes, if you do nourishing herbal infusions al la Susun Weed, you can just buy one bulk bag of a single herb and scoop one cup of it into a big jar and cover w/ boiling water, let sit for 4+ hours (or overnight), strain, and drink over the next couple days. (Nettles is the most commonly recommended, oatstraw, comfrey, red clover are as well I think.) Straining is the hardest/most annoying part of that, and isn't too bad...just a thought!
Strain infusions are way easier after getting a fine metal strainer. You could use the kind that go in the sink drain and are fine holes. You only get a tiny bit of herb in there and it settles to the bottom anyway.
#82 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Wow FR you're a busy little bee!!! Great info! What do you decide on a prenatal or just a mineral supp? I don't know IF I added this yet but have you considered being tested for the MTHFR gene? I think it's like 40% of the population have it.

Also the mag oil is itchy but the more I use it the less it bothers me.

You think organ delight is ok to start while pregnant?
#83 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

So, I made an oatstraw infusion yesterday and drank all 4 cups of it (I can't help myself when I make something like that--I should probably go slowly...)

I felt all brain foggy and still do today, and am wondering if it is GABA linked (there were a couple mamas discussing oatstraw and glutamates and GABA and stuff I don't totally understand in the allergies forum...) Herbs seem to REALLY effect me, and I think could be a clue as to what nutrients I need to work on getting more of. I'm really hesitant to supp w/ actual supps, esp for 'extra' types of things you might not find in a genral multi, as I think its possible to get out of wack and create new imbalances--so I'd rather do it w/ food, at least right now.

So I think I'll continue the oatstraw, maybe just 1 cup a day (or less--I'll see how I feel), plus make sure I get a serving of almonds (plus the liver I'm planning to do once the 14 days in the freezer is up!), along w/ keeping some of the others in my diet (and maybe trying halibut/mackeral etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom65108
Wow FR you're a busy little bee!!! Great info! What do you decide on a prenatal or just a mineral supp? I don't know IF I added this yet but have you considered being tested for the MTHFR gene? I think it's like 40% of the population have it.

Also the mag oil is itchy but the more I use it the less it bothers me.

You think organ delight is ok to start while pregnant?
Well, I stopped my multi a few days ago, and although I don't have all these foods listed in the thread, I've been doing the best I can to get everything in. I've had a bit less energy, and this am I noticed my lips were chapped which is unusual for me in the summer esp. (I've been drinking ample amounts of water, green smoothies and now infusions, so it's not dehydration related IMO.) I looked up nutrient deficiencies and saw a connection between vit A, Bs, and C deficiencies and chapped lips (I'm thinking Bs). I think its that I cut the multi b/4 replacing all the goodies w/ whole foods. (This could also be linked to the brain fog feeling--although I'm leaning more towards the oatstraw.) Anway, I took it again this am, and am going to take it for the next couple of days and monitor how I feel w/ it added in. I'm *now* planning to keep taking it until I've implemented most/all of my 'plan' (whatever it ends up looking like ) and then stop it again and see how I feel. I'm anxious to get the bioplasma as I'm sure it will help w/ my absorption of everything.

As far as minerals go, I'm planning to add in the oysters for zinc, mag oil for mag, brazil nuts for selenium, utilize herbal infusions and bone broth for all of them, continue my concentrace in various things along w/ Celtic or Himalayan sea salt for minerals, along w/ my kelp flakes and adding in seaweeds to broth... I'm hoping to get that mineral taste test kit at some point too--I think it would be really awesome for me. The one thing I'm not focusing on is calcium, as I think I have low mag issues which I don't want to exacerbate them, and feel I'll get enough from my infusions, broth, etc...

I haven't considered being tested for MTHFR--if I were positive for it, how would that change what I should do nutritionally? Supp folate? I've read about it in the allergies forum, but totally don't know enough about it...

Edited to add: I have no idea if there are detox related concerns, etc to adding in organ delight during pregnancy. I totally would if it was me, because it's such a nutrient dense goodie that was basically part of all traditional pregnancy diets. I've never read anything that says *don't* do it (vs. adding something like kombucha in the midst of pregnancy which is known for its mobilizing properties...) And I'm not worried about vit A toxicity from foods personally, so I'd totally take it. But I don't know a ton about any of this--I'd look into it more if you're concerned!!

I traditional foods
#84 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Strain infusions are way easier after getting a fine metal strainer. You could use the kind that go in the sink drain and are fine holes. You only get a tiny bit of herb in there and it settles to the bottom anyway.
Thanks BBM1! I actually have one--duh! Why didn't I think of that?

I traditional foods
#85 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I havent been on for a few days and a great thread has already taken off. I am still catching up but after reading only a few posts, I had to write.

our4corners.net is a good price, but I found out where they ge their stuff from and it is way cheaper- www.herbalcom.com. Enjoy!

Thank you!!

From my latest research, spirulina and chlorella is actually a unhealthy helathfood. Herbalist Susun Weed mentions it as "toxic". I am no longer taking it ever again for now. It is an algae, and not a nutritious sea green. Algae is pond scum, not agood thing. I can direct you to more info if you want.

Wha-wha-whaaaat? I'd love the info! Ahhh!

For infusions if you are not good with nettles (which would be my first chioce), there is comfrey leaf, red clover (great for fertility), and clovers roots reach so deep and pull up minerals, alfalfa (tastes gfross, so I just adda small amount in to other infusions, and add lots of mint to make it taste good), dandelion is strong, so I just go out with my 3 yr old and we collect dandeilion for dinner and throw it in soups, salads (the small leaves only for raw eating), stir frys, even when I cook a big pot of brown rice it is filled with finely chopped dandelion and lots of red clover blossoms. Also plantain is full of nutrition and goes into soups and such. Also RRL is great butI don't like to add boiling water to it as it get way too strong.

Thanks for this info--I ordered the RRL, alfalfa and dandelion. I'll look into getting comfrey and others! I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of herbal tweaking to figure out what is best *for me*!

Another super food is chia seeds! Love 'em and feel great with them.

Watch out for nutritional yeast as I hear it is enriched with synthetic vitamins, yo umught as well take a crap supplment. Brewers yeast is natural and lewis labs is the only one that is non-GMO.

Arg--thanks for this. Any recs for a good gf brewer's yeast??

Sorry if I repeated anything discussed, but I seriously started postig after reading 3 posts and got too excited.
Thrilled you are posting--it was one of your old posts that got me thinking of all this the other day!

I traditional foods
#86 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I like the vitamin code line and got my iron up whe I was anemic with the raw iron and it worked and is way cheaper than floradix. I havent been taking it lately or the b complex or raw calcium since I am focusing o more foods, but may take it ifi feel the need to. I can get it really cheap for $10 a btooel and free shipping. Works for my budget.

Awesome! Great to hear other reports on this stuff. To me, the most important factor in eating/taking anything is, does it work for me? I will keep that in my mind if I feel I really need a supp...Great price? Where do you get it??

I don't see duck liver on there.

We cut ghee out and feel way better. I htought we were fine with it, but may health issues were from the ghee, the last bit of dairy in our diets. Glad it works for you.

We actually ran out last week and our HFS didn't have any until I went last night and got more. I'll pay close attention when adding it back in to see if anything happens...Maybe that's where my low energy was coming from (not enough K2 from the ghee I was no longer eating?) AHHH this is so complex, since I eat all these different things...

I just typed up a bunch, but it got erased so here it goes again.

Dh has been reserching and reading all about adding in sea minerla. We have been adding in trace mineral from sea weeds because of it. Trace minerlas (and all of them) are so important. We think that calcium is needed for health bones and teeth, and sure it is, but it is also the trace minerals. When we are lacking in a trace mineral, we rely on a closely related one to fulfill our requirements until taht is use up and we move onto the next one until we are just worn out. When we have all the trace minerla we need we are supposed to we healthy.
We are expermenting with our gardens and it is proving right. We put sea minerlas and soil microorganisms one some areas and it grows 20x's faster, and is resistant to diesease and pests. We isolated areas that were ridden with pests and sickly and them gave them the sea minerlas and the pest have fled. Pests don't even want to be around us. I was in a group of people that eat pretty healthy and they were all swatting at bugs and I had none around we and the kids. I was bitten for the firts time the other day all summer and don't wear bug spray and am out all the time. I wonder if it is the trace minerals.
Sorry to ramble on, but as you can see I am really excited about this topic.
That is AMAZING! Do you think it's enough to do things like concentrace in water and celtic sea salt, etc for trace minerals, along w/ something like the mag oil, if you are not growing your own produce? What do you add to your plants (what product?) WAY cool!

I traditional foods
#87 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So, I made an oatstraw infusion yesterday and drank all 4 cups of it (I can't help myself when I make something like that--I should probably go slowly...)

I felt all brain foggy and still do today, and am wondering if it is GABA linked (there were a couple mamas discussing oatstraw and glutamates and GABA and stuff I don't totally understand in the allergies forum...) Herbs seem to REALLY effect me, and I think could be a clue as to what nutrients I need to work on getting more of. I'm really hesitant to supp w/ actual supps, esp for 'extra' types of things you might not find in a genral multi, as I think its possible to get out of wack and create new imbalances--so I'd rather do it w/ food, at least right now.

So I think I'll continue the oatstraw, maybe just 1 cup a day (or less--I'll see how I feel), plus make sure I get a serving of almonds (plus the liver I'm planning to do once the 14 days in the freezer is up!), along w/ keeping some of the others in my diet (and maybe trying halibut/mackeral etc...)
So, yeah, food is AMAZING. I've been continually foggy headed this morning (again I think from my overdose on oatstraw yesterday), and so I ate a handful of almonds (food w/ high amount of GABA) about 20 minutes ago. Fogginess, dissipating quickly, almost totally gone right now!!!

WHOAH! I'm blown away...

Too bad ds can't do almonds (reactions)--I think these he has a similar issue. I'm totally making sure to add more GABA rich foods in his diet as well...

Here is the GABA/Glutamates thread in the allergies forum for those interested!

I traditional foods
#88 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

So, next up is B6. I think I'll be ok on B12 once I'm doing liver pills, and folate from my greens stuff (unless you all think otherwise--I don't know about the MTFR issue....)

B6 rich foods from whfoods
Quote:
Excellent sources of vitamin B6 include spinach, bell peppers, and turnip greens.

Very good food sources of vitamin B6 include garlic, tuna, cauliflower, mustard greens, banana, celery, cabbage, crimini mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, kale, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, cod and chard.
This link provides a helpful table on the amount of B6 in various foods as well.

I'll look into tuna safety in pregnancy, although I have really bad associations w/ the smell of it (I've actually NEVER tasted it...) but always couldn't stand the smell...

I traditional foods
#89 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
*ALL* sea greens are algae - there is no distinction between 'pond scum' and kelp when it comes to the biological grouping. It's all algae.

I'd be interested to see this info as well. From what you've written here I'm very skeptical. From my research spirulina/chlorella are exceptionally healthful, ancient traditional foods consumed by numerous cultures. The *only* issue is that spirulina may have B12 mimics that could interfere with absorption of actual B12. For this reason it should not be taken daily (But really none of the food-based supplements should. Variety! Variety! Variety!)

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#90 of 245 Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Here it is about the spirulina. I am always sceptical of everything I hear, but I really respect Susun Weed as she usually ends up being right about alot of things. For example candida being a friend, has changed my life.

Quote:
Seven Rivers of Healing:
The Fourth River of Healing
Strengthen and Feed Health

c. 2008 Susun S Weed

A Word to The Wise (Beware!)

Fasting is akin to damming up the Fourth River of Healing. The Heroic tradition claims fasting “detoxifies.” The Scientific and Wise Woman Traditions point out that after 36-48 hours without adequate food, immune response falters, liver functioning falls, and infections multiply.

Bottomline: Politically; fasting is a powerful gesture. Spiritually, fasting brings us closer to death. Physically, however, fasting impairs health and is best avoided.

Soy beans can cause health problems. Regular consumption of unfermented soy--such as tofu, soy "milk", soy burgers, texturized vegetable protein, and the host of other fake foods--interferes with good utilization of minerals (including calcium and zinc) and vitamins (especially B12), leading to, among other problems, osteoporosis, depression of immune functioning, and visual impairment. Regular consumption of soy foods and soy isoflavones can disturb thyroid functioning, increase risk of senility, and promote cancer.

Bottomline: Fermenting soy to make miso and tamari, tempeh and natto removes these problems. According to Sally Fallon, more than ninety percent of the soy eaten in Asia is fermented.

Reliable scientific analysis of blue green algae (spirulina or chorella) finds it contains low and very low amounts of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids (proteins). The highest recommended dose of blue green algae has fewer vitamins and minerals than a half cup serving of cooked broccoli, and costs nearly fifty times as much. Blue green algae grow most abundantly in water contaminated with sewage and/or chemical pollutants.

All blue green algae are more or less poisonous. Some contain natural poisons stronger than cyanide. Naturally occurring blooms of blue green algae are renowned for killing domesticated animals, pets and wildlife. People feel "high" after they eat algae because it contains a nerve poison chemically related to, but even more dangerous than, cocaine.

Bottomline: Seaweeds, cooked leafy greens, and nourishing herbal infusions pack more nutritional punch than pond scum does. Save your money.

Nutritional supplements, we’ve been led to believe, are (1) critical to good health, (2) necessary due to soil depletions, and (3) identical to the vitamins and minerals found in a healthy diet. Not only are all these statements false, factual evidence suggests that the opposites are true. (1) Nutritional supplements may damage health. (2) Nutritional supplements do not help heal damaged soils. (3) Nutritional supplements lack the complexity, resonance, vitality, and inter-related co-factors found in the vitamins and minerals in whole foods.

In nature vitamins and minerals are composed of groups of many closely related compounds. Because the laboratory cannot duplicate nature's complexity, only the most active compound(s) are synthesized and put into pills. These active compounds are not meant to function alone, and when taken that way, can cause problems.

Supplements of antioxidants such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C pills), alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E pills), or beta-carotene are dangerous to our health. Once an antioxidant neutralizes a free radical, it becomes a weak free radical itself. If it is not quenched by sister antioxidants, which are not present in pills, this weak free radical is trouble.

Synthetic vitamin D is used to kill rats. Pure vitamin A can cause cancer and accelerate its development. Doses of 10,000 IU or more per day (the amount in most supplements) can cause hair loss, blindness, and birth defects.

Any whole foods diet including plenty of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains will provide abundant vitamins. Even agribusiness produce is rich in vitamins, for vitamins are produced by all living tissues. Minerals can be leached from soils and many commercial foods are low in them; unfortunately, organic foods are not necessarily richer. A Wise Woman secret for maximizing minerals in the diet is to drink nourishing herbal infusions.

We use natural vitamins and minerals much more effectively than the artificial ones. Cells absorb 100200 times more nutrients from natural substances than from pills.

Bottomline: People who take supplements do not improve their health and may unwittingly injure it. Spend your money on real food and nourishing herbs and forget the pills.

“The best thing about herbs is the fact that each contains thousands of biologically active compounds, hundreds in the ppm range. That gives your body a big menu from which to select what it needs. Cells will selectively grab minerals and vitamins that are needed.” James Duke (1999)

Green Blessings, Susun Weed

This is part 30of a 46 part series, you will receive part 31 in one week. For more Wise Woman Wisdom, visit www.susunweed.com

If this email has been forwarded to you, get the complete Seven Rivers of Healing Self-Study Course, register at http://www.susunweed.com/seven_rivers_healing.html

Visit Susun Weeds Wise Woman Web

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page