Superfoods? Additional stuff for TTC? My Plan. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 245 Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
you ladies have issues with green smoothies?? They make my stomach a little upset. Maybe my digestion isn't well????
Only if I put too much coconut milk in them (I think I overeat fat when I'm using coconut milk b/c its sooooo good, and then get a tummy ache--rarely, but it happens). I don't ever have a prob w/ fruit/veggie/water blends though. Unless I drink way to much in one sitting, which I've done as well.

Some folks have trouble digesting raw produce, I think esp veggies? Do you usually eat everything you put in them raw when they are not in smoothies? What do you typically put in yours? Maybe you're reacting to a specific ingredient?

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#122 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the same issues with Brazil nuts. They seem to get rancid quickly and it makes me paranoid to eat them so I don't. I take a selenium supp but I think I need a extra selenium.
I keep them in the freezer so they don't go rancid, I like them better cold anyway.
#123 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Be sure the kelp is heavy-metal tested and organic.
I don't understand how you get organic seaweed... it's all wild, right?
#124 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
That is what I use--as far as salmon fillets go, I've only ever had the frozen kind from walmart (it was wild caught!) that has like 4 fillets for $4! I thought it was gross, and use the bumblebee wild pink salmon, $2 a packet, which I *hope* is a good source. I've liked it in salmon cakes when I've been doing eggs, and now am enjoying it as a 'salmon salad'--just mixed w/ some mustard, finely diced onions, pepper, salt, and a squeeze of lemon if I have it along w/ parsley. I got the idea from MDA, and love it way more than I liked salmon cakes, and it's really easy and quick to prepare. I'm planning on making that a keeper. And the (crown prince brand) canned oysters I found are canned in olive oil and were like under $3 a can which works for me, if I'm doing them just 1x a week.
The only salmon I've liked has been TJ's wild sockeye salmon bbq'd with butter and seasonings. I tried making salmon salad like I make tuna salad (mayo, mustard, picklerelish) but didn't care for it. I will try your recipe, that sounds better. I'm squeamish about the oysters. I've tried them fried in a restaurant, and could not gag them down. They looked and tasted nasty. How do you eat your smoked oysters?

well if 1 brazil nut is 70mcg of selenium, then the 150mcg i'm supplementing right now is good. so i think i'll just stick with what i'm taking and not add brazil nuts.

Quote:
Vaquitita- I had the same problem with the natural calm since then I've switched to to glycinate and mag oil.
i need to go back read the previous posts about mag oil, so i know what i want to get when i run out of the natural calm.

Quote:
Refrigerate the nuts.

Be sure the kelp is heavy-metal tested and organic. Most seaweed has arsenic issues. Mix a tablespoon of kelp in a small amount of tomato juice and drink very quickly (before it becomes sludge). I prefer to add kelp to soups, rather than broth. Then more of it is consumed and it adds a lovely rich depth of flavor, not fishy at all. Works great in chili.

I was afraid of sardines in the cupboard for 2 years. I actually found that I loved them. (some I haven't liked as well, don't know the difference though) I like Natural Sea Skinless Boneless Sardines in Water, salted, wild caught. Purchased locally.

Pat
I did keep the nuts in the fridge. The kelp I was looking at is organic, I have emailed them to find out about heavy metal testing. Thanks for the reminder.

How do you eat your sardines? The can I picked up is from tj's and has the bones (isn't that part of the point of eating them?) and are packed in olive oil and salt. i think they're wild caught.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#125 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
The only salmon I've liked has been TJ's wild sockeye salmon bbq'd with butter and seasonings. I tried making salmon salad like I make tuna salad (mayo, mustard, picklerelish) but didn't care for it. I will try your recipe, that sounds better.

I actually have gagged on plain salmon in the past--canned. And I've written to this forum, asking if I could just take fish oil in place of eating seafood for the benefits b/c it just grossed me out so much. Seriously, the salmon salad is WAY better than eating it plain. BUT, I also felt making pan-fried salmoncakes w/ lots of spices, dipped in ketchup and mustard was good, as that masked the taste for me. The salmon salad somehow makes it just taste better--like doesn't hide the salmon taste but makes it taste yummy...IDK--its been a process for me.

I'm squeamish about the oysters. I've tried them fried in a restaurant, and could not gag them down. They looked and tasted nasty. How do you eat your smoked oysters?

The oysters, which I ate for the _first_ time yesterday, I started by just taking one of the smoked ones out of the can and ate it, straight up (this was HUGE for me). They reminded me of artichokes (in appearance--not how they tasted--although I don't love artichokes and don't eat them much so I could be wayyyyy off) so that, for some reason, didn't gross me out to try. BUT the texture was...eh...not awesome (could be b/c they were canned). At least I didn't gag on it, but did not plan to eat them straight from the can. The smoky flavor (as they were smoked) reminded me of bacon and was not terrible, so I pureed them w/ coconut milk, added onions and ghee in a pan (and should have added water or broth and less coconut milk--it was almost TOO fatty/rich by the time I was done) along w/ little peices of bacon and some spices (doing a non-milk version of the 'world's best oyster soup recipe I linked earlier in the thread). It was totally edible, but not amazing. I'd love to figure out a way to use them and make them fabulous, but for now, edible is my goal. I've been contemplating breading/pan frying them--that is really the easiest way for *me* to adjust to a new food, (that's how I transitioned to eating various meats when I first started after years of vegetarianism) and since they are small, and the flavor isn't awful or too overwhelming, I might just really like them that way, dipped in ketchup and mustard. Believe me--I've read about the zinc/oyster connection b/4 (like, way over a year ago) when I first became interested in meeting nutritional needs w/ whole foods, and refused to even consider trying them.

Seafood has ALWAYS disgusted me, not growing up w/ it, and in a house where it was talked of as being nasty my whole life. (My dad used to get fish frys on Fridays, so I've only ever really seen folks eat it deep fried, or tuna mixed in a mac salad [ the thought of which clearly just grosses me out]. When my dad ate it, my mom would talk about it as if it were the most disgusting thing ever--just lots of negative talk about fish over there! I've got my mom on fish oil now, at least, which she is ok w/ taking! ) Anyway, it's been a real process for me to even eat any of it--salmon was top on my list for the omega 3 benefits and cheapness of getting the wild kind (canned of course). I've worked hard to mask the fishy taste in the past (which I think I'll be trying to do w/ these canned oysters which may, financially, be what I need to go w/ for now.) If I find any magic, delicious prep methods for any of the stuff I'm trying, believe me, I'll share!

well if 1 brazil nut is 70mcg of selenium, then the 150mcg i'm supplementing right now is good. so i think i'll just stick with what i'm taking and not add brazil nuts.

i need to go back read the previous posts about mag oil, so i know what i want to get when i run out of the natural calm.

Make sure to go to the cheaper site I linked--there are 2 linked in this thread, and one has nigeri flakes that are under $2 a lb--that is the one you want, if you plan to make the 'oil' yourself (the cheapest way to do it ...)

I did keep the nuts in the fridge. The kelp I was looking at is organic, I have emailed them to find out about heavy metal testing. Thanks for the reminder.

How do you eat your sardines? The can I picked up is from tj's and has the bones (isn't that part of the point of eating them?) and are packed in olive oil and salt. i think they're wild caught.
I'd like to hear from Pat and others as well...(not that I'm sure I'll try them... ) The sardines *I* 'tried', I was planning on pureeing in my food processor using some whfoods recipe for a sardine dip, but the process of just taking them out of the can in their whole little fishy form grossed me out so much that I never even tasted them...I cannot imagine sticking a whole one in my mouth the way some folks do, eating them from the can as a snack. We each have our own issues around this stuff. Maybe one day I'll be downing them like they are potato chips--who knows?

I also bought some anchovy paste at my HFS--like, just anchovies w/ olive oil and maybe salt? GREAT ingredients, whatever they were--and plan on making a caesar dressing too. I contemplated making my own anchovy paste b/4, but the sardine experiment turned me off to it... I've *always* been kind of picky/finicky, but have grown to love more and more and more different types of foods as I've learned to cook and experiment in the kitchen...hopefully it will be the same for me w/ seafood...

I traditional foods
#126 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

A bit OT--not about TTC, but just want to put this here.

For glutamate issues, try grapeseed extract, esp. for ds. (Remember my oatstraw issues? Ds has been off the wall since drinking a cup of it, um, like 2 days ago!) Looking into nature's plus brand...

I traditional foods
#127 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM

I love sardines on bread and on potatoe chips. I guess I hope it makes junk food healthier. My 3 yr dd begs for sardines at every meal.

I will try to answer about the sea minerals and gardening. My dh is really the exoert and I just go with his research. Kelp to chickens is great. The eggs are going to have iodine and other great minerals from it.
I still really don't know about concentrace. It sounds great. Not sure if it means you don't need to eat any sea veggies though. Still looking into it though.
For a garden, you mix 1 teaspoon sea salt (not himalayan salt), in a gallon of water and water your plants once every 2 weeks. The amount per 1000 square foot is 1 pound sea salt.

We also do other stuf to our gardens like adding in soil micro organisms and making a "starter" of worms, soil, microorganisms, and feeding it like a sourdough. We then give that to the gardens like making bread. As a carrier, we use charcoal (not ash), as charcoal slow releases all the minerals to the garden. Oh I am going to far with this. I guess someday, I should start a thread about gardening...or get dh to.

About nutritional yeast, that is great that it is all natural. I am still learning. I do know that lewis labs is non gmo, not sure of NOW brands clains on that. I guess sugar cane is now gmo?? Don't quote me on that.

mom61508, how are yo uwith just plain ol friut smoothies? I know that smoothies make me have an uspet stomach because I don't do well with bananas, and because of the cold (ifI drink too much).
#128 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
For a garden, you mix 1 teaspoon sea salt (not himalayan salt), in a gallon of water and water your plants once every 2 weeks. The amount per 1000 square foot is 1 pound sea salt.

About nutritional yeast, that is great that it is all natural. I am still learning. I do know that lewis labs is non gmo, not sure of NOW brands clains on that. I guess sugar cane is now gmo?? Don't quote me on that.

mom61508, how are yo uwith just plain ol friut smoothies? I know that smoothies make me have an uspet stomach because I don't do well with bananas, and because of the cold (ifI drink too much).
What kind of sea salt do you use and where do you get it? I buy celtic sea salt and I would think it would be fairly expensive to use that to water any size of garden.

I have the same issue w/ smoothies- just thought it was the bananas but even w/ fruit (I tried last w/ 1/2 c coco milk and 1/2 c blueberries)it bonks me out a bit. I think it is just too much sugar on an empty belly- I usually eat a vlc to zerocarb bfast though. I handle carbs better in the evening.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#129 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I totally don't know that it IS all natural, I am just speculating from what I've read. I wrote to WAPF about it too as they recommend it on their superfoods page, and will post their response!

What you do with your garden is AMAZING!!!! How much more TF can you get!!!!

Like crunchy, eating a green smoothie by itself would totally give me a sugar high--I MUST eat it w/ some protein and fat if I haven't added any. I prefer them in the evening too, w/ a lower carb breakfast (like the salmonsalad I'm having now!)

I traditional foods
#130 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Heres the smoothie I tried to do yesterday

2 sprigs Kale
1/4 banana
5 frozen strawberries
1/4 c pineapple juice
water
1 tsp coconut oil
I had some bacon first then had my smoothie after just 4 sips my stomach couldn't handle it anymore. I do fine with salads tho.

My favorite salmon is vital choice. It's expensive but has such a mild flavor and their canned salmon is BPA FREE! Yum!

I'm telling you sardines mixed with brown rice and avocado is so good! DD is 2 and she loves it! You can add whatever else you'd like to it to help cover up the sardine taste. It is yummy on crackers with hot sauce too but we are gluten free so I haven't found any yummy crackers.
#131 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I looked into this last time we talked about it, and it seems that some brands of nutritional yeast have high amounts of synthetic vitamins, while other brands are all-natural. I forget the details. Red Star is apparently a good brand, though. But it's true, *all* the brands of nutritional yeast have added synthetic B12. I wonder why they do that? Is it to market themselves as a vegetarian supplement?

Thanks for the sea salt/garden info!

Salmon folks, have you tried Vital Choice salmon? It's a different critter altogether. I can eat it right out of the can, and I'm not a seafood person. And, like pp have said, no BPA, which is a serious advantage if you're eating a lot.

It costs the same as the "natural" grocery store brand if you buy it in bulk.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#132 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

2 sprigs Kale
1/4 banana
5 frozen strawberries
1/4 c pineapple juice
water
1 tsp coconut oil
I had some bacon first then had my smoothie after just 4 sips my stomach couldn't handle it anymore. I do fine with salads tho.
The only things that stick out to me are the coconut oil and the pineapple juice. Pineapple juice is really acidic, I think, and can give me a tummy ache straight. Coconut oil, depending on the day for me, can give me an awful stomach ache. If you eat either of those regularly though, then I don't know what's doing it...I looked into green smoothies causing nausea when that was an issue of mine and found a few folks saying it happens and could be related to detox, although I don't know that I buy that...

Sorry I'm of little help! Good luck figuring it out!

I traditional foods
#133 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 PM

To add to what I wrote above, Vital Choice also has sardines. If the taste difference is as much as with the salmon, I'm hopeful we could do those, too.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a big seafood person, but I do LOOOOVE a whole-anchovy ceasar salad dressing. I think the paste is what sometimes makes it taste odd, actually. The Pioneer Woman has a great ceasar recipe that is easy to do. I usually double the amount of anchovies she uses, though. I craved that dressing like crazy when I was pregnant. I would eat huge amounts of salad just so I could have the dressing.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#134 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
I looked into this last time we talked about it, and it seems that some brands of nutritional yeast have high amounts of synthetic vitamins, while other brands are all-natural. I forget the details. Red Star is apparently a good brand, though. But it's true, *all* the brands of nutritional yeast have added synthetic B12. I wonder why they do that? Is it to market themselves as a vegetarian supplement?

Yes, that's what I've read. I'm unsure about it all though, b/c Red Star, for example, lists multiple B vites in the ingredients section, B12 and others...See what WAPF wrote to me about this below...

Thanks for the sea salt/garden info!

Salmon folks, have you tried Vital Choice salmon? It's a different critter altogether. I can eat it right out of the can, and I'm not a seafood person. And, like pp have said, no BPA, which is a serious advantage if you're eating a lot.

It costs the same as the "natural" grocery store brand if you buy it in bulk.
Now that I'm eating all this salmon, I'll totally check it out!

Re: Nutritional Yeast and WAPF

I wrote the following to WAPF yesterday:

Quote:
> I know nutritional yeast is one of your recommended superfoods. I've been
> researching it and have read that it's actually full of added synthetic
> vitamins, and similar to taking a B-complex vitamin--not a whole food.
> Could you explain to me more about this? And let me know if this is
> correct/incorrect, and what brands you recommend?
>
> Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Their response (from 2 separate emails):

Quote:
Yes it is not ideal, but does have a lot of vitamins to offer that are not
synthetic and it is the yeast that our MSG-sensitive people do best with.
It is not ideal, but the brand that seems to be tolerated the best.
Quote:
The brand I'm referring to is Frontier.
So I'm not certain exactly what that means...

I traditional foods
#135 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As I mentioned before, I'm not a big seafood person, but I do LOOOOVE a whole-anchovy ceasar salad dressing. I think the paste is what sometimes makes it taste odd, actually.
I've seen a lot of anchovy pastes w/ tons of extra added ingredients (that don't work for ds), but hte crown prince brand I got just has 'anchovies, olive oil, salt'--so I hope it will taste ok!! I'm just not *there* yet, in the pureeing whole little fish dept.

I'll look for the pioneer woman recipe--do you know if it contains dairy? I love salad and eat it every day and would really enjoy a chicken caesar!!

I traditional foods
#136 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of anchovy pastes w/ tons of extra added ingredients (that don't work for ds), but hte crown prince brand I got just has 'anchovies, olive oil, salt'--so I hope it will taste ok!! I'm just not *there* yet, in the pureeing whole little fish dept.

I'll look for the pioneer woman recipe--do you know if it contains dairy? I love salad and eat it every day and would really enjoy a chicken caesar!!
Yes, it has parm in it. But you could sub nutritional yeast.

Seriously, though, I bet you could find some sub. The parm adds the savory, salty part of the flavor, the umami. Nut yeast can often do that in a recipe, but maybe just try it without anything substituted, and see how it tastes. Here's the recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-salad-part-1/

#137 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
I don't understand how you get organic seaweed... it's all wild, right?
My understanding, could be incorrect, is that there are some criteria or restrictions about the proximity of the seaweed harvesting to metropolitan downstream pollution. So, collecting outside of San Francisco Bay requires a longer distance from shore than Iceland or such, for the designation of "organic".

Pat

I have a blog.
#138 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
Yes, have you tried them with bones? I couldn't do it. I just eat them for the protein and Omega 3 and the B12 (very high source!) and tryptophan and vit D. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=147

I just ate them with a fork right out of the can. Going to check the cupboard now, they are so yummy! They are EASY and feel nourishing. (ETA: they were headless. I ordered and returned fried whole sardines with the intention of getting the iodine, but no way could I eat something with a head on it.)

Pat

I have a blog.
#139 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, it has parm in it. But you could sub nutritional yeast.

Seriously, though, I bet you could find some sub. The parm adds the savory, salty part of the flavor, the umami. Nut yeast can often do that in a recipe, but maybe just try it without anything substituted, and see how it tastes. Here's the recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-salad-part-1/
We can't do worstchire b/c of the soy (I think that's why--I just know ds can't do it) but I bet I could just leave it out. I would totally be cool w/ using the nut yeast in place of parm if I preferred the taste--great idea! Thanks for the recipe!

I traditional foods
#140 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM

For worcesthire I have subbed some balsamic, blackstrap molasses, fishsauce(although in the ingredients I think it actually has anchovies) and a few more things. However, I bet you wouldn't miss it much in that recipe. That dressing recipe looks really good- I wish I had seen it when I bought anchovies and was trying to figure out what to do with them! My friend eats them straight- she says she likes the smoked ones from Wild Planet I believe and it just has a few ing- like sea salt and olive oil(as she has tons of intolerances including corn and gluten). Personally, I couldn't get a nerve to eat them plain.

Oh, and have some nettles and rrl steeping right now inspired by you! I did a cup of each w/ 8 cups water. I don't know if that is "right" or not but it was easy!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#141 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:28 PM

looked at my can. it's actually anchovy fillets in olive oil not sardines. i think i'll try making that caesar salad mbravebird linked. i like caesar salad, but have never made it myself. are anchovies or sardines pretty similar nutrition wise? because caesar salad would be a really easy way to eat it.

FairyRae- totally sounds like my house growing up! My dad would eat fish and chips sometimes but my mom thought all seafood was gross, other than shrimp and lobster which my dad was allergic to. So you can guess how much seafood we ate/saw eaten. Come to think of it my dad would occasionally buy smoked salmon as a special treat, but i would never try it. My dh on the other hand eats all kinds of seafood, after marrying him i did start trying a lot more seafood. some of it totally grossed me out (mussels, raw oysters, jarred sourcream and herring). i do now like a number of things, but mostly only when eaten at a fresh seafood restaurant. i mean a small place on a coast that buys it straight from a fisherman. i don't cook it at home much. i have a couple friends who make ethnic foods (their husband's cultures. persian and syrian) and so i've tried some stuff cause of them too. though even when i kind of like it, it's hard to imagine eating it a lot. but i keep trying it, trying to expand my taste buds.

one thing they make that was really pretty good, is smoked trout (from costco) mashed up with cream cheese on crackers. this i probably would have tried to make, but since the kids are allergic to cows milk and i'm trying to not eat grains/carbs, i haven't done it. but for anyone without those restrictions, try it! it's pretty yummy. come to think of it, it's not that different from the deviled ham and cream cheese on crackers that was popular in my family.

#142 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, have you tried them with bones? I couldn't do it. I just eat them for the protein and Omega 3 and the B12 (very high source!) and tryptophan and vit D. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=147

I just ate them with a fork right out of the can. Going to check the cupboard now, they are so yummy! They are EASY and feel nourishing. (ETA: they were headless. I ordered and returned fried whole sardines with the intention of getting the iodine, but no way could I eat something with a head on it.)

Pat
No. That's why they're still sitting in my cupboard. Better to eat them w/o bones than not eat them w/bones!

#143 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:

2 sprigs Kale
1/4 banana
5 frozen strawberries
1/4 c pineapple juice
water
1 tsp coconut oil

I try to do veggies with greens, OR fruit with greens (not veggies or protein or fats with fruit). I do no fats with fruit because fat slows the digestion. And eating fruits first, before any fats or proteins is supposed to help digestion of the fruits. Maybe not enough stomach acid? I try to get a whole food probiotic (or zinc) alongside any protein foods, especially first thing in the morning. So, kefir with fruit/smoothies might help.

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#144 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I try to do veggies with greens, OR fruit with greens (not veggies or protein or fats with fruit). I do no fats with fruit because fat slows the digestion. And eating fruits first, before any fats or proteins is supposed to help digestion of the fruits. Maybe not enough stomach acid? I try to get a whole food probiotic (or zinc) alongside any protein foods, especially first thing in the morning. So, kefir with fruit/smoothies might help.

HTH, Pat
It's gotta be a fruit mixed with all that stuff that's doing it because I can handle a salad fine. I'm going to try some kefir in there and see If It helps.

Should I take Zinc with protein to help stomach acid? Is that what you're saying Pat?
#145 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It's gotta be a fruit mixed with all that stuff that's doing it because I can handle a salad fine. I'm going to try some kefir in there and see If It helps.

Should I take Zinc with protein to help stomach acid? Is that what you're saying Pat?
yes

Pat

I have a blog.
#146 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM

Oh, also, for that recipe I linked, I have used raw ACV instead of lemon juice, and doubled the anchovies, and it turns out great. I also think I usually use more garlic. When it comes to garlic, I'm a "more is better" type of gal.

ETA: FairyRae, you could try doing just tamarind sauce/paste instead of worcestechire. Tamarind is the "secret ingredient" that gives worcestechire its signature taste. And it's a very traditional food. You can get tamarind at a asian market, or online.

#147 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tamarind paste info--awesome! I've always wondered what would be a good sub for it.

I got my nigari flakes in the mail today--that was FAST! I dumped most of them into a big jar to the brim, then saturated it w/ water to the top--they dissolved almost instantly! The 'mag oil' I made is like a thin oil--almost watery, but w/ a slight bit of oily moisture to it. I put some on my arms, legs and back, and it feels slightly warm and tingly but not uncomfortable. It absorbed right in--not sure why some folks mention it staying wet for a while? I was supposed to let it saturate for 3 days b/4 using, but it was almost totally dissolved--I'll keep you posted on how it feels and works for us!!

I traditional foods
#148 of 245 Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I got my nigari flakes in the mail today--that was FAST!
That was fast. Did you order from natural import co?

#149 of 245 Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yup! Um, and after using them, I felt this peaceful/happy feeling (after being kind of grouchy all day--I'm PMSing and was just kind of annoyed/frustrated yesterday)--I felt it very soon after using it, and am planning to use more soon b/c it just felt sooooo good.....Will continue sharing about this here for sure!!

I traditional foods
#150 of 245 Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
What kind of sea salt do you use and where do you get it? I buy celtic sea salt and I would think it would be fairly expensive to use that to water any size of garden.
I use salt currently from www.saltworks.com and it is their cheapest one, sun dried. I have perhaps 40 lbs or himalayan salt, but that is missing some esssential trace minerals and after I use that up for cooking, etc, I will switch to a good quality sea salt.
Quote:

2 sprigs Kale
1/4 banana
5 frozen strawberries
1/4 c pineapple juice
water
1 tsp coconut oil

My favorite salmon is vital choice. It's expensive but has such a mild flavor and their canned salmon is BPA FREE! Yum!

I'm telling you sardines mixed with brown rice and avocado is so good! DD is 2 and she loves it! You can add whatever else you'd like to it to help cover up the sardine taste. It is yummy on crackers with hot sauce too but we are gluten free so I haven't found any yummy crackers.
The bacon before could make my stomach turn. And raw kale is had for me to digest. How are the ingrediants by themselves? Do you usually eat raw kale?
Quote:
Now that I'm eating all this salmon, I'll totally check it out!

Re: Nutritional Yeast and WAPF

I wrote the following to WAPF yesterday:

Their response (from 2 separate emails):

So I'm not certain exactly what that means...
Thanks for checking into this. I do know for now I am sticking with lewis labs, but I am open to switching...
Quote:

Pat
I was so afraid that there would be heads the forst time I opened a can, so I had dh open it first.

Thanks for the info as I eat alot of sardines. But ofcourse that are in a can with bpa and I am a bit hesitant to eat them all the time. I don't eat anyother canned good because it that reason. Does $.99 a can make it better?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page