GFCF Anti-Inflammatory diet, Need meal ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just found out I'm gluten-intolerant. My naturopath wants me to avoid casein, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, sugar, dried fruit, caffeine and some other stuff for the next month. I'm also supposed to avoid higher carb fruits and veggies.
The GF thing is easy - my two-year old has been GF for 6 weeks or so. Casein, corn, and tomatoes are tough to live without.

I could sure use ideas on what to eat. Thanks!

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#2 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Make a list of you favorite foods/meals (not the short version, the long version). Include every side dish, main dish, one-pot dish, etc that you like. Then go through that list and cross off anything that doesn't meet the criteria, or couldn't easily be changed to fit. Copy everything that's left onto a clean list and use that for meal planning. Post that list in a prominent place where you can refer to it.

Mentally, its much easier to concentrate on what you can havw rather than what you cant.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Check out the paleo/primal thread and www.marksdailyapple.com for meal ideas.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Start by making a list of things you CAN still have. Are rice and quinoa on that list? Are you avoiding all nightshade veggies or just tomatoes? And do you need to avoid all starchy veggies or limit them? There's a big difference between being able to serve sweet potatoes with dinner and you only taking 1/2 for yourself, and not being able to even taste the sweet potatoes you've cooked for the rest of the family.

Your best bet, overall, is with simple meals. Even if you can't eat the grain or starch, other family members probably still want/need them. So prepare the starch as a separate dish, so you can skip it or take a small portion, depending on your exact rules. then make acceptable veggies and plenty of meat for the rest of the meal.

You can make a stir fry with acceptable veggies and meat, and serve with rice or rice noodles served separately. Most meals though, especially with a 2yo, you may do better serving the meat, veggies, and starch in 3 separate dishes (or in 4 separate dishes if you serve 2 kinds of veggies.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM

I was also going to suggest Mark's Daily Apple.
#6 of 6 Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/recipes/index.php

Maybe there will be some ideas there.

I second checking the primal/grain free thread and mark's daily apple--all about avoiding most of those foods. Good luck!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page