Paleo and Primal Living...in August! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 205 Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UGH.
Next time I think "oh, I'll just have a couple dates and then get some real dinner" someone know about it psychically and figure out a way to tell me it's a horrible idea.

Actually, I probably would've been fine if dd hadn't decided she wanted the whole date container to come sit on the couch with us.

OMG the sugar. Did you know plain dates, no sugar added, nothing, are HALF sugar?? I did, that's why I'd been having like 3 a day. I had like 25. After having a big portion of watermelon earlier. 258g of carbs!!

All the signs of needing to eat some fat and protein where there: I wanted some crackers, I kept wandering into the kitchen, I went for the dates.

I'm right under an average 150g/day for the past 4 days with that, so I can get things back on track for the week by doing a few under 100 days. So it isn't that bad, but that I have no self control. Whole reason I started on this diet is that I can't have "just a little" sweet stuff unless I've got a good solid meal under my belt.
sapphire_chan is offline  
#62 of 205 Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For almond butter, check out Costco. They carry a cheap almond butter with only almonds.
sapphire_chan is offline  
#63 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
UGH.
Next time I think "oh, I'll just have a couple dates and then get some real dinner" someone know about it psychically and figure out a way to tell me it's a horrible idea.

Actually, I probably would've been fine if dd hadn't decided she wanted the whole date container to come sit on the couch with us.

OMG the sugar. Did you know plain dates, no sugar added, nothing, are HALF sugar?? I did, that's why I'd been having like 3 a day. I had like 25. After having a big portion of watermelon earlier. 258g of carbs!!

All the signs of needing to eat some fat and protein where there: I wanted some crackers, I kept wandering into the kitchen, I went for the dates.

I'm right under an average 150g/day for the past 4 days with that, so I can get things back on track for the week by doing a few under 100 days. So it isn't that bad, but that I have no self control. Whole reason I started on this diet is that I can't have "just a little" sweet stuff unless I've got a good solid meal under my belt.
Ugh tell me about it! I have no portion control abilities with sugar unless I've already eaten a good fatty protein filled meal! If I'm hungry I'm like a wild animal.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#64 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 AM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
If I'm hungry I'm like a wild animal.
You mamas remind me of something WuWei just posted in the unschooling nutrition yahoo group.

Quote:
A key aspect of nutrition (for us) is OFFERing a plate of nourishing foods
proactively. This has been so important for blood sugar
stability and nutritional variety in our home.

Ds has a somewhat limited list of 'goto' foods when he gets to the place of
noticing that he is HUNGRY NOW! and wants fast energy foods. So, by routinely
offering a plate of fruits, veggies, chips and protein (wherever he is playing),
he picks and chooses while nibbling and doesn't crash to the space of needing
instant food energy. It is too hard to stop playing to come to a table to eat!
We need to do this for ourselves mamas, to avoid the 'hungry now!' sugar binges.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#65 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 AM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
You mamas remind me of something WuWei just posted in the unschooling nutrition yahoo group.



We need to do this for ourselves mamas, to avoid the 'hungry now!' sugar binges.
So true!!! I use the nack plate at our house, full of meats, cheeses, fruits, veggies and nuts for the boys, why don't I remember to feed myself well until I'm ravenous!?!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#66 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Ugh tell me about it! I have no portion control abilities with sugar unless I've already eaten a good fatty protein filled meal! If I'm hungry I'm like a wild animal.
Y'know what I realized though? Before this diet, a binge would've been 3 bags of chips and a cheesecake. I think I'm doing pretty good when a "binge" is 27 more dates than I'd planned.
sapphire_chan is offline  
#67 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Ms. B. Sprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Down south
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Hey mamas! I lurk on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Y'know what I realized though? Before this diet, a binge would've been 3 bags of chips and a cheesecake. I think I'm doing pretty good when a "binge" is 27 more dates than I'd planned.
This is something I try to keep in mind all the time -- how my "cheats" and "slips" are nothing like they used to be.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Ms. B. Sprout is offline  
#68 of 205 Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm going to talk about my poop instead of dd's poop for a change.
First, it is healthier. Good color, well formed, comes out easily and regularly. I was sooo surprised at how quickly it changed from weird (don't worry no details on that) to the textbook "your poop should be like X". Any one else?

Second, I'm approaching my first menstrual cycle since starting this diet. I'm curious to see if I get diarrhea like I have almost every cycle since starting my menses in the first place.

And not about poop, I'm also wondering if I'll have the cravings like before. And if so, will lots of iron rich protein sources help?
sapphire_chan is offline  
#69 of 205 Old 08-07-2010, 12:09 AM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear you all about binging, with this eating style I am likely to have much better choices than previously. LIke too much chocolate (as in half a bar) or a serving of mac n cheese (the boxed kind that I make for the kids.)

Monthly cycle: I have cravings for more food when I ovulate, I also have cramps and bloating during ovulation and they can last for a few days if it takes awhile for my ovaries to get that egg out ( I am still nursing so ovulation is not regular yet.) But, when my period comes I have no symptoms, other than needing extra iron for wooziness.

I finally tracked my food and calories on calorie counter, I did a pretty typical day, although I may have done less snacking because I was out of the house a lot and busy with the kids. 144 g Fat (58%) 133g Protein (24%) 75 g carbs (13%). I was really surprised I didn't have more carbs. Maybe I ate more fat today than normal and it kept me from snacking? I even had a planned cookie. wow. If only everyday could look like this! This was my first time using calorie counter and it was easy to find the foods, but I could not add in that I was a nursing mom, I know that I am ignoring a lot of their website features of analysis, but...it would be nice to count an activity that uses so many calories.

I am frustrated with the number of times we get sick around my house. We are all recovering from some nasty virus. I do a lot of things right with eating and health, but maybe I don't go far enough. 15 mo DD picks up infections probably once a month. She is in daycare, DS is in preschool and I havent had a continuous night of sleep in 15 months, those are our worst factors. Maybe its time to look at more supplements for the kids. They don't take much. DD I can hardly get anything into and DS takes HVCLO. I take a good range of quality supps. I really shudder to think that maybe the kids need to cut dairy or grains. It was easy when DS was little, but it would be really hard now. Its a battle I know I could not convince DH of doing.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#70 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Okay, I'm going to talk about my poop instead of dd's poop for a change.
First, it is healthier. Good color, well formed, comes out easily and regularly. I was sooo surprised at how quickly it changed from weird (don't worry no details on that) to the textbook "your poop should be like X". Any one else?

Second, I'm approaching my first menstrual cycle since starting this diet. I'm curious to see if I get diarrhea like I have almost every cycle since starting my menses in the first place.

And not about poop, I'm also wondering if I'll have the cravings like before. And if so, will lots of iron rich protein sources help?
FairyRae and I have been tracking our cycles with great interest since becoming primal. Your date binge may be because you're approaching your cycle. We both have found that females seem to carb crave/binge and have less satiety in general right before menstruation begins.

We are both going to try to attack it head on this month with heavy protein/iron rich protein meals, no IF'ing and avoiding most sources of carbs (going vlc for that week/few days before just to avoid triggering carb cravings.)

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#71 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fascinating. Y'know I had noticed myself eating a lot more around my period, but hadn't made the connection to carbs because they were so much of my general diet.

Please share your findings on cramps and PMS symptoms as you have them!
sapphire_chan is offline  
#72 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Purple Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another lurker coming out to say hello!

You all are so inspirational, and I need some so thought posting in this thread will help me be accountable and get off the junk food that has crept its back into my diet. It really stinks when you KNOW what's good and what isn't and still don't eat well.

Food so far today...
Breakfast: Coffee (I know, I know) with heavy cream and a little leftover steak.
Lunch: BAS with canned salmon, avocado, and lots of greens/veggies.
Dinner: I'm cooking a roast right now and will have steamed veggies and maybe a salad, too.

I've regained 10 pounds in the last 6-ish weeks, so that needs to go along with another 5-10 more. Look forward to chatting with all!
Purple Sage is offline  
#73 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
 
princesstutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the bay area, baby!
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Y'know what I realized though? Before this diet, a binge would've been 3 bags of chips and a cheesecake. I think I'm doing pretty good when a "binge" is 27 more dates than I'd planned.
That's right! Stay mindful of the progress.

The poop thing: The healthier I eat, the better my poop. It's always the first thing I notice. First thing I notice when things are getting out of control, too.

As for diet and ovulation: I notice I am semi-fertile right now (likely won't end with a period since I'm still nursing and dd is only 6 months old, but I have mucous and feel randy and in need of an O, you know?) and I want sugar! The fruit wasn't doing it for me (fridge full of berries, but I need brownies ) and so I'm eating some gluten-free, dairy-free brownies after a coconut cake debacle that had to get thrown out. Now, I've noticed that when I'm feeling the signs of fertility and eat lots of sweets, I don't have the yeast reaction I'll have if I eat lots of sweets (or any dairy at all) when I'm not having uterine activity.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

princesstutu is offline  
#74 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 05:23 PM
 
tolovemercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today:

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 scrambled eggs, coffee with almond milk and stevia, and...1/2 slice DS's ezekiel toast. Still, greatly improved.

S: Almond/sunflower seed/cranberry trail mix, 2 strawberries, and a couple of baby carrots

L: Leftover Thai Cashew Chicken with onions, peppers, and basil. + Small piece of dark chocolate.

Dinner plans are looking simple. Grilled chicken breasts with grilled onion/tomato/pepper skewers.

With regards to poop, it's the first thing I notice when I eat dairy--and is also my first clue that I've eaten something with hidden dairy in it. Things always move best when I stick to meat/veggies/fruit/occasional nuts.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
tolovemercy is offline  
#75 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
FairyRae and I have been tracking our cycles with great interest since becoming primal. Your date binge may be because you're approaching your cycle. We both have found that females seem to carb crave/binge and have less satiety in general right before menstruation begins.


Quote:
We are both going to try to attack it head on this month with heavy protein/iron rich protein meals, no IF'ing and avoiding most sources of carbs (going vlc for that week/few days before just to avoid triggering carb cravings.)
Thanks for the reminder LEM...I better get on this b/c I think its coming soon!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#76 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
Now, I've noticed that when I'm feeling the signs of fertility and eat lots of sweets, I don't have the yeast reaction I'll have if I eat lots of sweets (or any dairy at all) when I'm not having uterine activity.
Fascinating! I'm going to look out for this...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#77 of 205 Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FR and LEM, I'm in too on vlc before my period and high iron. I've noticed since getting rid of grains my iron has been much better. I used to get woozy as my period hit and had to take my iron supp a lot. But last months AF ( my first on primal eating) I don't remember taking any extra iron.

Coffee- it's a habit I'd like to get rid of but I love the taste so much! I didn't drink any when pregnant or BF with DS (so about 3.5 yrs) and as soon as he weaned I was back at it. I might try heavy cream in it to get some extra fat.

I was browsing another thread in this forum about fat and calories and there were some great posts, thanks to those of you who posted such great info. I M beginning to understand WHY eating primally makes me feel better. I stubled upon this a few years ago when I did SCD and I felt great, had a ton of energy and dropped weight effortlessly and I thought it was just because I had eliminated allergens. I know it is a combination for me.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#78 of 205 Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
 
alireb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm back after a week of visiting my mom and am happy to report that I didn't gain any weight even though I had some dark chocolate while there and some larabars which I never have but they were great to have if I needed something but there were no primal options. I'm excited to be home so I don't have to eat out all the time.
alireb is offline  
#79 of 205 Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
 
lil_earthmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post




Thanks for the reminder LEM...I better get on this b/c I think its coming soon!
No prob!

I'm going to attempt a dairy free week. Gulp... wish me luck, I'm definitely a dairy addict.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
lil_earthmomma is offline  
#80 of 205 Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
 
neverdoingitagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: mountain/cow country in Canada
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So yeah, I've been waiting for an update from the July thread. Just realized today that a new thread has probably been started since its, you know...August.
My job is done as of yesterday I obviously have mixed feelings about this
The last week has been terrible for food, sort of. Lots of junk. I had cookies. Not even good ones. Cheap as dirt cookies. Lots of diet Pepsi and S.O.B Phat Danny's Juice. Lots of artifical sweetner there.Even some regula chocolate and tacos chips(ranch!)~ Sigh~
I started a challenge on August 1st and bombed it spectacularly so far anyway. Of course, I started my period on the 3rd and it was all downhill from there. Started with my period, an electric shaver accident(my leg is almost healed up),cramps and cranky kids. Ended with chocolate covered peanuts.
I have no regrets
Lil_Em: Good Luck going dairy-free! I was working on reducing to 2 serving a week...but yeah, not happening yet.
Punchy Kaby: Another thing I'm trying to reduce is coffee! Mine is like a science experiment now, stevia/heavy cream/coconut milk/coconut oil. Takes awhile to get it all mixed together. then it looks almost too pretty to drink.
Almost.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
neverdoingitagain is offline  
#81 of 205 Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Vaquitita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today was horrible.
b- ham and cheese. coconut kefir.
l- carls' jr chicken sandwich, half bun; half small fries
s- blueberries, choclate cupcake
s- cheese and an 'apple walks into a bar' cereal bar
d- jack in the box fried chicken sandwich and fries, 2 tacos.
i'm at like 250g carbs today. ugh. i feel quite sick right now.

i'm trying a new way of tracking my carbs. instead of entering everything i eat in fitday, which was quite helpful at first, now i'm writing it down in my notebook and just tracking the carbs in all grains/fruit/sugar/dairy(milk/yogurt) that i eat. looking over my past food in fitday, i think leaving a 25g cushion will cover the bits of carbs in the other foods i eat. So if I keep my tracked carbs under 125g, then my overall carbs for that day will be under 150g. I think this will be easier for me post partum.

weight goal update: still on track today at 37w4d I have gained 36.5lb. my goal is 40lb.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13


Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Vaquitita is offline  
#82 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
No prob!

I'm going to attempt a dairy free week. Gulp... wish me luck, I'm definitely a dairy addict.

LEM - I am in awe of you attempting this (picture me me eating my yogurt at my desk!) That's a huge accomplishment and I hope you succeed!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
So yeah, I've been waiting for an update from the July thread. Just realized today that a new thread has probably been started since its, you know...August.
My job is done as of yesterday I obviously have mixed feelings about this
The last week has been terrible for food, sort of. Lots of junk. I had cookies. Not even good ones. Cheap as dirt cookies. Lots of diet Pepsi and S.O.B Phat Danny's Juice. Lots of artifical sweetner there.Even some regula chocolate and tacos chips(ranch!)~ Sigh~
I started a challenge on August 1st and bombed it spectacularly so far anyway. Of course, I started my period on the 3rd and it was all downhill from there. Started with my period, an electric shaver accident(my leg is almost healed up),cramps and cranky kids. Ended with chocolate covered peanuts.
I have no regrets
Lil_Em: Good Luck going dairy-free! I was working on reducing to 2 serving a week...but yeah, not happening yet.
Punchy Kaby: Another thing I'm trying to reduce is coffee! Mine is like a science experiment now, stevia/heavy cream/coconut milk/coconut oil. Takes awhile to get it all mixed together. then it looks almost too pretty to drink.
Almost.
Never - s on rough week. Now come on back!!
Your coffee sounds like my coffee... though now I am inspired to add coconut milk...mmmmm I never thought I would have richer coffee on this eating plan than I did previous. Its amazing, and sometimes I splurge and put in tsp of cocoa powder and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
today was horrible.
b- ham and cheese. coconut kefir.
l- carls' jr chicken sandwich, half bun; half small fries
s- blueberries, choclate cupcake
s- cheese and an 'apple walks into a bar' cereal bar
d- jack in the box fried chicken sandwich and fries, 2 tacos.
i'm at like 250g carbs today. ugh. i feel quite sick right now.

i'm trying a new way of tracking my carbs. instead of entering everything i eat in fitday, which was quite helpful at first, now i'm writing it down in my notebook and just tracking the carbs in all grains/fruit/sugar/dairy(milk/yogurt) that i eat. looking over my past food in fitday, i think leaving a 25g cushion will cover the bits of carbs in the other foods i eat. So if I keep my tracked carbs under 125g, then my overall carbs for that day will be under 150g. I think this will be easier for me post partum.

weight goal update: still on track today at 37w4d I have gained 36.5lb. my goal is 40lb.
Vaquitta! Congrats on still hitting your goals!! I know completely what you mean about too many carbs and feeling sick. Its so hard to explain to my family, but here everyone gets it! Here's to another day and starting all over!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#83 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
 
_ktg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: a house in the suburban jungle.
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update for me -

Eating has been going great, while I am at work. On the weekends - I fail and nosh on everything in sight, especially because I'm the only one in the house grain-free. Its really rough.

I have looked back at my carb counts for the past 3 weeks and I'm doing pretty ok at trying to stay around or under 150g and I've noticed that my hair, and skin all are looking better/healthier since eating a high-fat diet.

I'm still struggling with losing the weight, still stuck at 203 and based on the white patch on the back of my tongue I'm going to guess I have a yeast overload. Any recommendations for detoxing yeast from your system?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

_ktg_ is offline  
#84 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
Feb2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
update for me:

my little sister got married over the weekend and I helped to host a lot of parties (which either meant actually hosting -lingerie shower complete with a sweet alcohol 'punch'- or doing all the grunt work in the kitchen to prep food for 'informal' gatherings at my parents'). During the time I was there I had low access to primal/quality food. I made the best choices I could. Unfortunately, I kept snacking on the leftover bridal cake on the counter on Sunday. Oh well, no regrets! The wedding was gorgeous and she's so happy.

food yesterday (first day home):
1 1/2 fried eggs
kale chips, guacamole & carrots
grape tomato-basil salad, grilled zucchini, 1 nice hot dog

food today:
1 fried egg, carrots and celery with veg dip (zucchini, yellow squash, cashews, bell pepper, jalapeno, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, water)
Feb2003 is offline  
#85 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM
 
JElaineB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello...I am subbing to this thread. I am recommitting to eating primal (was a New Year's resolution that didn't last long... ) I just got the Primal Blueprint Cookbook in the mail today. The meat recipes look pretty basic and most take a long time to cook, but some of the other recipes are interesting and hopefully inspiring. I want to basically eat meat, vegetables and high quality fats, with some fruit and nuts thrown in as well. I definitely am seeking ways to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. My main goals are weight-loss and control of insulin levels.
JElaineB is offline  
#86 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
 
neverdoingitagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: mountain/cow country in Canada
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am definitely back Though my dh is tempting me with more Phat Danny's. I drank one too fast last night and was tipsy. ONE! I drank another one later last night and felt drunk even though I had sobered up quite a bit. Geez what a cheap drunk But I need to wait until Sept 1st.
Thursday is Miracle Treat Day at DQ. Yes I will indulge in one, its tradition and the proceeds go to children. Though just a mini blizzard this time. I'm nervous though, it could end up a high carb day if I go too early.
I'm attempting to stop drinking coffee. Today was my first day actually. I think I'll try to make some cocoa tomorrow.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
neverdoingitagain is offline  
#87 of 205 Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
I definitely am seeking ways to incorporate more vegetables into my diet.
I would love to talk more about this. I love my salads and green smoothies, and I have staple veggie dishes I go to over and over, (lots of mashed cauli w/other veggies, steamed or stirfried broccoli, etc...) but I'd love to start making some more creative veggie based side dishes, that I could possibly make larger batches of and eat over several meals w/ different meat dishes.

One veggie dish I loved last summer and is great for this time of year is a blend of tomatoes, yellow and green zucchini, bell peppers, red onion, garlic, all diced and simmered together (w/ a little ghee or EVOO), seasoned with salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper, along w/ some basil leaves chopped finely. This makes a great sauce for pasta, etc, but wil probably work well as a side dish if the veggies are chopped larger. Broccoli tastes good in there as well.

Would love more veggie ideas from you creative cooks!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#88 of 205 Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
 
neverdoingitagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: mountain/cow country in Canada
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Thursday is Miracle Treat Day at DQ. Yes I will indulge in one, its tradition and the proceeds go to children. Though just a mini blizzard this time. I'm nervous though, it could end up a high carb day if I go too early.
I decided not to buy a Blizzard for myself on Thursday. For the kids, sure but not myself. Its just too much for me atm.

Yes, more veggies recipes! I like to saute everything but I need something more interesting. Its either boiled, sauteed or fried around here(though spaghetti squash is baked) The less ingredients and the simpler the better.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
neverdoingitagain is offline  
#89 of 205 Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
 
sellendie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies, I hope everyone is having a stellar week. We cooked up a big batch of jambalaya last night with smoked sausage, chicken, and shrimp to serve with cauliflower "rice", and I can't wait to dig in!
sellendie is offline  
#90 of 205 Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes more and more interesting veggies! We are in a rut here-the kids like green veggies and we usually steam them. But I do have one interesting recipe. Not the lowest carb recipe. We serve this as a taco or burrito topping

Butternut squash, Tex Mex style?
Peel the raw squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
steam the squash until almost tender. Heat a skillet with oil of choice, add chopped onion and sauté. Add some spices: cumin, oregano, chili seasoning, paprika, let themcook in the oil a bit. (can also add other veggies to stir fry, our favs are mushrooms and peppers). Add the steamed butternut squash and cook until desired consistency.

Question for the nursing mamas, do you find that going low carb makes your supply go down? It's something I suspect, but hard to really know. Dd is 15 months and eats a lot if solids but some days is attached to my breasts.

Quick silly: DD loves avocados and insists on getting a half avocado with the skin then proceeds to eat by stuffing into her mouth and sucking it. She will also grab a handful and cram it in her mouth.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off