Paleo and Primal Living...in August! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 205 Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Turns out the headache is referred pain from my trapezius muscle.
Glad you figured it out.

CO is a rarer thing to react to, I believe, from a detox perspective. Another mom on the autism-mercury yahoo group mentioned she felt coconut is a mercury mobilizer--less so than others--but that it was also an unpopular theory b/c its such a beneficial, health promoting food. I don't react to moderate amounts of coconut milk, but CO and coconut water give me intolerable headaches, sometimes horrible nausea, that last for hours... Hopefully w/ some healing I'll be able to add it back in not too long from now...

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 205 Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 AM

http://our21daydiet.com/Recipes/Main...shes/Meals.htm

TONS of recipe/meal ideas, low carb, and mostly primal. Pretty cool! I've shared it in an old thread, but wanted to stick it here so I could find it easily.

I traditional foods
#123 of 205 Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Vaquitita: You're doing better than me. At this stage of the game I usually ended up eating pure crap (read: lots of slurpies ) Only reason I didn't with my second is because it was winter
Thats awesome news about your parents! Did they mention any other nice side effects from going low-carb?

Now, I just need to get off the damn chocolate. Yes, its 70% + but its still not that great for me.
I find myself hoarding all my carbs for the day to eat sugary stuff.

I only talked to my mom for a few minutes, so I don't know if they've had any other nice side effects.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#124 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 AM

I don't know *what's* going on, but I'm on a roll!! Still have my period, and eating TONS of meat, along w/ veggies and fruit is getting me through the day w/out binging on starchy/sugary stuff! Woo hoo!

B: VERY exciting--I ate probably 1 eggs worth of a coconut flour crepe (made w/ stevia--no other sweetener) and did NOT get any nausea!! Making strides--I think avoidance + gut healing stuff is all part of it. Also ate some almonds and a peach--was running out the door

S: banana w/ some more almonds

L: hamburger and a hot dog w/ mustard, and a salad, and grilled chicken...(picnic lunch thing--ummm I just ate and ate and ate...)

D: beef roast, which I had made in the slow cooker, w/ roasted broccoli, carrots, cauli and onions. Melt in your mouth delish!

S: some more almonds (prob a total of 1/2 cup today--more than I generally like to eat but felt fine w/ it)

D2?: Late night chicken wings w/ dh--I'm ordering them plain, and made my own ghee/hot sauce dipping sauce. They are certainly fried in a no-no oil, but I don't care--its the non-tf 'cheat' that honestly doesn't make me feel like crap after eating, and they are soooooo good.

So, eating lots is keeping me from carb loading as I usually do (mostly on potatoes) during my period, and I've totally been avoiding the starches/sugars I've been wanting to avoid! It's working!!! Seriously--I never eat this much *meat*--I think its really helping w/ the time of the month thing. There have been times today where I thought I was hungry, took a bite of something meaty, and realized I was full and felt ok to go on w/out eating anything more. Really excited! And I feel really good. So excited!

I traditional foods
#125 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Hello mamas,
Well things have been baaaaadddd on the paleo front..I am excited to be pregnant but have bad m/s and food aversions. Anyway I am going to try and make more nut baked things (I had an almond flour waffle this morning and it tasted good to me!) and fruit rather than grains. Hopefully I will be through this is a few more weeks...I really miss working out and healthy food!

Fairy Rae-the 21 day diet recipes look good..I will have to try some later

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#126 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Speaking of digestion, I'm really wanting to try something like GAPS. Or just being super strict about my starches/sugar consumption--so pretty much really paleo. I have digestion issues that seem to be getting worse, and I really want to work on them somehow. (TMI warning--bad bad gas & other bathroom issues from most legumes, chili powder, issues w/ eggs, plus multiple food intolerances that I avoid b/c of ds--grains/dairy/corn/etc...) I just feel like this would probably be the right next step for me. I just need to DO IT!!
I did the GAPS diet for 9 months an it helped me a lot....I was able to add eggs back in and my weirdo IBS-like digestion issues stopped on day 2 of the diet. I may go back and do some more (I want to eat cheese again) but it does get emotionally draining after a while because it is so strict. I have been having good success digesting grains using high potency enzymes so I may try some dairy enzymes with some goat/sheep cheese soon.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#127 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Jumping in with a question!

Is it possible to do a modified version of this to fit my pregnant self? Or is it kind of all or nothing?

AND will changing my diet to exclude grains and other starches help me treat yeast naturally? I know it's the basis of the Candida Diet (but that one is too restricted for me right now)

TIA!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#128 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Morning everyone! Terrible weekend, and unfortunately I am finally able to understand my DH when he had his stomach problems. My theme from this weekend was - What happens when good people eat bad food!

I was craving whole foods (apples, avocados, yogurt, cheeses) all weekend from all the take out which was had, and paid the price for on Sunday Next time we travel I will pack more food for myself instead of feeling trapped to eat what they are eating. The upside - a nice footbath with epsom salts last night. I feel like million bucks better than yesterday!

FairyRae - re:GAPS I was just starting to read that a bit after your post. Is is possible to modify that diet as I don't think I could last on a week of soup/bone broths & probiotics. I realize that my gut needs to heal more, so I'm floundering a bit between just adding some probiotics in general or going whole hog into GAPS.

Welcome AFwife - I think the answers to your questions are:

Yes - I think vaquitta is doing something similar
Yes - but you may have to add additional supplements. I am looking into this to help reduce the yeast overload in my body, but not kill it off completely - just get it into check.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#129 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Welcome AFwife - I think the answers to your questions are:

Yes - I think vaquitta is doing something similar
Yes - but you may have to add additional supplements. I am looking into this to help reduce the yeast overload in my body, but not kill it off completely - just get it into check.
I'm currently treating an infection with massive probiotics (MW suggested it) but I think if I lower my sugar levels it will not only help now, but help it not happen again (it got so bad that my cervix got raw and was bleeding...scary when you're in your 2nd tri)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#130 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

Is it possible to do a modified version of this to fit my pregnant self? Or is it kind of all or nothing?

AND will changing my diet to exclude grains and other starches help me treat yeast naturally? I know it's the basis of the Candida Diet (but that one is too restricted for me right now)

TIA!!
This thread has a wide range. In general, most of us are just grain free (some are grain lite), lots of us watch carbs/count them, but not all of us do, many of us eat starches and natural sugars (think honey/maple syrup/etc) and fruits and even a little real sugar (dark chocolate) etc. There is a whole lot of variation here.

The Primal Blueprint (check www.marksdailyapple.com) which a lot of follow as well, has an 80/20 aspect. Eat 80% primally, eat 20% what you want. Be that wine, dark chocolate, ice cream, McDonald's fries, whatever--whatever *you* need to do to make this way of eating work for you. I LOVE this way of thinking, b/c so many folks drop a 'diet' b/c they 'fall off the wagon' or find its too hard to stick to. This way, its built in. No need to feel guilty ever. (I think feeling guilty about what we eat is a major reason so many folks have food issues!) For many of us, our 20% gets more and more limited to pretty 'primal' foods, b/c we feel like crap if we eat something outside of that. It all just depends. And sometimes feeling like crap is worth it to us for the experience of enjoying that ______ w/ a group of friends--food nourishes the soul as well!

I personally am trying to go a bit more strict b/c of my own healing needs. You can totally address candida issues by going low/no grain, low/no sugar, limiting carbs/etc. And you can also just do whatever works for you! I've been grain free and eating tons of potatoes and fruit and homemade grain free coconut flour baked goods, etc. for quite some time. There is a wide range, and I say just do whatever works for you!

Quote:
FairyRae - re:GAPS I was just starting to read that a bit after your post. Is is possible to modify that diet as I don't think I could last on a week of soup/bone broths & probiotics. I realize that my gut needs to heal more, so I'm floundering a bit between just adding some probiotics in general or going whole hog into GAPS.
I should clarify. I am totally NOT doing full GAPS, whatsoever. I am doing my own thing, basically inspired by a combo of paleo and GAPS. So, avoiding starchy things like grains (duh), potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes (which I don't tolerate well anyway) along w/ sugar, maple syrup, etc. I'm allowing a tiny amount of raw honey if I feel like it (which I haven't--yet ), b/c I think cutting it totally will put me in crazy deprivation mode, and I'm doing stevia freely (so not GAPS legal ) So, I'm absolutely doing a create-your-own-diet here. It's really a combo of things I've read on SCD, GAPS, The Maker's Diet, and Paleo/Primal stuff all rolled into one, and tailored to what I want to do right now, today. Could change tomorrow for sure. I've just happened to read on MDA from multiple different folks how doing something similar (dropping basically all sugars (not fruit), grains, and most starchy foods) has done lots and lots healing wise, in concert w/ stuff like bone broth, vit D, probiotics/probiotic foods/etc. I'm just doing what I think will work for me, and what I can handle. (And I will not be drinking bone broth by the gallon--believe me. I am not a broth lover, and will just add it as I usually do to stuff like BBQ sauce, soups as I make them, and some sauces and casseroles, and thats it.) I'm so eating canned coconut milk (w/ GAPS not-legal guar gum) and balsamic vinegar (not GAPS legal) and don't care. Stuff like that I'm not going to make myself crazy over. I think there will be major benefits to eating in this manner for me w/out being super strict--if there is a point where I feel like it will make a big difference, I'll get super strict if that feels right to me, but for now, this feels like a huge step (dropping the potatoes and most sweeteners), and totally 'good enough'. I'm going more paleo than anything else, but also utilizing some of the GAPS healing ideas. And just making it all work for me.

I think there are huge possible benefits to eating a modified version if that's something you want to do. Many folks think SCD/GAPS is all or nothing (and that is really the message sent out by SCD/GAPS folks for sure), but I don't have a desire to stick to that, and I think there will be major benefits without the all or nothing...

Newcastlemama--thanks for sharing your positive GAPS experience. Dairy is something I would LOVE to get back at some point.

Sorry to harp on GAPS and whatnot so much--hope I'm not diverting the thread too much! I've just been excited by my own willpower--when I make it about healing, in my mind, its 1000000 times easier for me to stick more strictly to something...

I traditional foods
#131 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM

FR - Your answer was exactly what I was looking for, because I did get that sense of "all or nothing" when researching a bit of GAPS. I love your cobble it together approach and whole food sense of healing with your diet.

Thank you!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#132 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm currently treating an infection with massive probiotics (MW suggested it) but I think if I lower my sugar levels it will not only help now, but help it not happen again (it got so bad that my cervix got raw and was bleeding...scary when you're in your 2nd tri)
Gah!! s that sounds super scary!! I find for myself lowering my sugar/carb levels has improvements with my health in ways I did not expect. I'll poke around this thread and find the link I think to the leaky gut thread in which Jane S. pulled together some resources about various products.
Are you taking any Coconut Oil? I remember reading something in either the TF forum or somewhere else about not trying to eliminate yeast completely from our bodies, but to get it in check for sure and that CO assists in that process.

#133 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:

TIA!!
I've been doing a modified version, I'm pregnant too. I eat grains sometimes and lots of fruit. I try to stick to MDA's weight maintenance zone of 100-150g carbs, but it doesn't always happen. After the first month and a half I figured out my average carb consumption was at 150g a day. I've only been trying to do low carb since the end of may, before that I was 'carb conscious' but still ate around 200g of carbs a day I'd guess. Even with this modified version I've seen positive results. Less weight gain (looking at 40lb total this preg compared with 60lb in prev preg), lower bp, more energy.

I would think it would help the yeast issue. A few years ago I was able to get my yeast overgrowth balanced out by eating less sugar, less carbs (never went low carb or grain free), and eating tons and tons of fermented and probiotic foods and drinks (did probiotic supplements too). I drank kefir, juice kefir, kombucha, beet kvass. I ate fermented veggies galore, lacto-fermented condiments, sourdough bread, raw cheeses (especially moldly ones like blue cheese), raw milk, homemade yogurt. Getting in bacteria and yeast foods at every meal was my main goal. Oh did eat a fair amount of bone broth for awhile too. And lots of coconut, oil/milk/fresh. It worked for me, and was much easier than any of the 'candida diets' i've seen out there. just my 2cents.

after that really bad day last thursday when my counsins were in town, i've done really good for the past 3 days (122g, 120g, and 124g of carbs). But today is another bad day. this seems to be my cycle right now. 1 bad day followed by 3 good days, rinse, repeat.

b- 1/2 bagel fried in butter with labne and ham. RRL infusion with honey (44g)
l- in-n-out double double, 3/4 of an order of fries, and a chocolate shake (162g carbs!!!! when i looked up the shake afterwards i was apalled at its 83g)
d- I need to be really good for dinner. i have planned italian sausages and ravioli in tomato sauce for the family. i will try to eat veggies in place of the ravioli (mushrooms, spinach), but will probably eat a few. 1 cup of them = 25g carbs, so as long as I just eat a few for flavor it won't be so bad...

#134 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Re candida: this is a thread I think is helpful to read, just for another perspective: Please comment on Susun Weed letter titled "Candida is a helper. It is keeping you healthy!"

Here is the healing the gut tribe cheat sheet Jane S started--is this what you were mentioning ktg?

Quote:
FR - Your answer was exactly what I was looking for, because I did get that sense of "all or nothing" when researching a bit of GAPS. I love your cobble it together approach and whole food sense of healing with your diet.
GAPS totally resonated w/ me when I first read about it, but things like 'no chocolate' (need I say more?) turned me off. I also personally find it hard to believe that there is one single method for healing, and that doing *anything* outside of that method will ruin all progress, which is kind of an SCD/GAPS message (IMO). I basically came to paleo/primal from my interest in GAPS. The grain free threads here are so loose, and I love the MDA 80/20/make-it-work-for-you ideology, which has made this all a better fit for *me* than strict GAPS or SCD.

On the MDA forums, a poster named Cillakat mentioned she felt the SCD was too restrictive, unnecessarily so. She felt/feels that if you basically avoid all sugars (even honey), grains, starches for the most part (a potato here and there she felt would be ok), supp w/ vit D and probiotics and some other stuff (the usual) then you wouldn't need to worry about the little details, and still have great healing results. She also said she feels SCD/GAPS focus too much on ground nut baked goods--that all those nuts + honey might impede healing (and b/c nuts are ok for me only in moderation, I kind of think this would be true for me.) Anyway, she inspired me to look into this deeper, and I'm kind of basing my current diet choices off of some of her ideas, along w/ those of another poster who shared something very similar about what has worked for her. Her post was specifically a/b candida, while I'm more focused on overall gut healing, but I still found it really helpful.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ida-diet/page4
Quote:
This is the simple regimen I pulled together from the major gut diets I found (SCD, TMD, GAPS, BED*), and what I'm doing. I'll cut and paste from a post to another group:

The underlying problem is the candida yeast, which overgrow and put down roots into your gut lining. These literally perforate your intestines (leaky gut), allowing undigested food particles into the bloodstream, which leads to more and more food sensitivites & allergies. So you gotta get rid of them and heal the damage.

• Starve 'em. No grains or sugar or concentrated fruits (juice, jam, dried, ...), no processed foods. (Buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, & millet are allowed in most versions of the diet, as they are not true grains. Jury's out for me; I don't bother) If you're eating primally, you're already doing this.
  • Kill 'em. Daily antifungals - oil of oregano has been proven to be as effective as nystatin. I take 4 drops OOO in 1/4C water (pour the water, then add the drops, drink quickly or it'll burn b/c the OOO is strong like pepper oil), 1Tbsp virgin coconut oil (used to cook my eggs), & 1Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar (in 12oz filtered water) daily. And garlic cooked in my food, or pickled (lacto-fermented) garlic added at the end of cooking, when I have it.
  • Replace 'em. Probiotics - add back the good guys. I've heard Garden of Life Primal Defense & BioKult often recommended. A badly made probiotic will do nothing. Fermented food (like yogurt, kefir, anything lacto-fermented...) is even better - it's the original, whole-foods, natural source of probiotics. They're traditionally used like condiments, not side dishes. Also, avoid using antibacterial soaps & obsessive cleaning - our bodies are made to have gut flora replenished by the things around it.
  • Patch the holes. A cup of good mineral-rich bone broth a day. The compound in it (is it glutamine?) repairs the intestinal lining.
  • Keep 'em away. Avoid as much as possible the things that caused it in the first place: antibiotics, vaccines, chlorinated water, mercury-contaminated fish & fillings, hormonal contraception, etc. Keep your appendix! (there are three clear tests for whether it's really appendicitis, and even then, the cause is usually impacted stool or swollen lymph nodes - both easily solved by less dire means)

*Some people have to take extra steps b/c of specific deficiencies or problems. Because of our modern environments, most of us are deficient in magnesium, selenium, & vitamin D (thanks, Cillakat!) and our immune systems (key to restoring gut flora balance) will strongly benefit from these supplements. Heavy metals may be a problem that some will need to remedy.

So it's basically just eating primally w/ the addition of natural antifungals, natural probiotics, & bone broth. I choose whole foods sources of the antifungals & probiotics.

For me, the hardest part BY FAR was getting rid of the grains & sugars. And it seemed a hopeless battle - I had to get rid of them to get rid of the candida, but the candida made me crave them! But I finally found a way - when I gradually added a full serving off protein to each meal and fat to taste in all my food, the grain/sugar cravings gradually died down. I focused on getting the good in instead of removing the bad, and the desire for the bad just faded away. Finally the cravings reached a point where the will power I possess was sufficient to "just say no" to the rest of them. I still struggle occasionally, but no longer will "just one bite" throw me over the cliff. The longer I do this regimen, the further back from the cliff I go (IOW, it now takes a week or two of poor food choices to get me over the cliff).
*Just fyi--BED = Body Ecology Diet (another of my fave gut healing resources.)

I'm not focusing on the kill 'em aspect of her plan, but found the rest super helpful.

Sorry if this is all OT folks!!!

Really good day again. Leftover coconut flour crepes w/ blueberries for breakfast (no reaction to the eggs again! Although I'm going to take a break from them for a bit now ) and a green smoothie. Leftover beef roast for lunch w/ the other half of the am smoothie. Almonds for a snack & a couple brazil nuts, then a roasted chicken leg w/ my bbq sauce, stir fried broccoli and garlic, and a big salad w/ mixed grens, avocado and onion. 1/2 a peach and 1/2 a banana for dessert w/ ds. I was way less hungry today than the past few days. (Cycle related I'm sure!) I may eat again tonight if I feel like it, but I'm feeling really good and satisfied right now, so we'll see!

I traditional foods
#135 of 205 Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Yup FR that was the cheat sheet!!

#136 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Hello! I want to introduce myself. I am a former vegetarian and also a former low carb-er! I ate low carb for about 6 months in college and I felt SO GOOD. Then I went vegetarian for two years and subsisted off of veggies, tofu, and LOTS of rice, pasta, and bread. Carbs and sugar make me feel like crap, and this is why I want to do the primal diet.

My goals are to cut the carbs and sugar, and even dairy (mucous issues, mostly!) I want to do a green smoothie and a big green salad every day, as well as lots of protein (meat, nuts, seeds) and other veggies, with occasional fruit to satisfy my sugar cravings. I am aiming to lose around 40 lbs in the next year. I also want to start exercising regularly, as that is something I've never done. Mostly, I want to stop feeling like my brain is mush, and hope that the diet helps with that.

Right now we are tight on money as I am searching for a job, so we are finishing what's in our fridge and cabinets before buying more groceries...it will be another week or so before we start the full primal meal, but I wanted to go ahead and say hello any way

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#137 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I don't know *what's* going on, but I'm on a roll!! Still have my period, and eating TONS of meat, along w/ veggies and fruit is getting me through the day w/out binging on starchy/sugary stuff! Woo hoo!

B: VERY exciting--I ate probably 1 eggs worth of a coconut flour crepe (made w/ stevia--no other sweetener) and did NOT get any nausea!! Making strides--I think avoidance + gut healing stuff is all part of it. Also ate some almonds and a peach--was running out the door

S: banana w/ some more almonds

L: hamburger and a hot dog w/ mustard, and a salad, and grilled chicken...(picnic lunch thing--ummm I just ate and ate and ate...)

D: beef roast, which I had made in the slow cooker, w/ roasted broccoli, carrots, cauli and onions. Melt in your mouth delish!

S: some more almonds (prob a total of 1/2 cup today--more than I generally like to eat but felt fine w/ it)

D2?: Late night chicken wings w/ dh--I'm ordering them plain, and made my own ghee/hot sauce dipping sauce. They are certainly fried in a no-no oil, but I don't care--its the non-tf 'cheat' that honestly doesn't make me feel like crap after eating, and they are soooooo good.

So, eating lots is keeping me from carb loading as I usually do (mostly on potatoes) during my period, and I've totally been avoiding the starches/sugars I've been wanting to avoid! It's working!!! Seriously--I never eat this much *meat*--I think its really helping w/ the time of the month thing. There have been times today where I thought I was hungry, took a bite of something meaty, and realized I was full and felt ok to go on w/out eating anything more. Really excited! And I feel really good. So excited!
WAY TO GO MAMA!!!

I'm approaching my cycle, and hope to do as well as you!

I too am having success with eggs, so maybe my body just needed a break for a month?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#138 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
I too am having success with eggs, so maybe my body just needed a break for a month?
Woo hoo! I think my issues are in part sulfation related, and overdoing it (5-6 eggs a day for a while) related, and now that break I've been taking has seemed really helpful. So I'm just planning to go slowly for now egg-wise.

Yay ihugtrees--I totally hear you. I ate the high carb veg diet you are describing for a loooooong time, did lots of damage, but am finding lots of healing w/ this WOE. Welcome!!!

I traditional foods
#139 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I personally am trying to go a bit more strict b/c of my own healing needs. You can totally address candida issues by going low/no grain, low/no sugar, limiting carbs/etc. And you can also just do whatever works for you! I've been grain free and eating tons of potatoes and fruit and homemade grain free coconut flour baked goods, etc. for quite some time. There is a wide range, and I say just do whatever works for you!
I can eat potatoes!?! That's been the big thing in keeping me from eating more Primal. I totally heart potatoes. Rice is grain right? *sigh* It's another good filler we eat around here. But, I bought some veggies to try and make for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
Gah!! s that sounds super scary!! I find for myself lowering my sugar/carb levels has improvements with my health in ways I did not expect. I'll poke around this thread and find the link I think to the leaky gut thread in which Jane S. pulled together some resources about various products.
Are you taking any Coconut Oil? I remember reading something in either the TF forum or somewhere else about not trying to eliminate yeast completely from our bodies, but to get it in check for sure and that CO assists in that process.
I haven't been doing CO...and we're out. Hmm...I've heard good things about Aloe and your gut, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
I would think it would help the yeast issue. A few years ago I was able to get my yeast overgrowth balanced out by eating less sugar, less carbs (never went low carb or grain free), and eating tons and tons of fermented and probiotic foods and drinks (did probiotic supplements too). I drank kefir, juice kefir, kombucha, beet kvass. I ate fermented veggies galore, lacto-fermented condiments, sourdough bread, raw cheeses (especially moldly ones like blue cheese), raw milk, homemade yogurt. Getting in bacteria and yeast foods at every meal was my main goal. Oh did eat a fair amount of bone broth for awhile too. And lots of coconut, oil/milk/fresh. It worked for me, and was much easier than any of the 'candida diets' i've seen out there. just my 2cents.
95% of our dairy products are raw! We only eat a couple of cheeses that are pasteurized (because our dairy doesn't make swiss or cheddar)

Is there a Primal/Paleo recipe thread somewhere or do I just need to sift through this one?

#140 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I can eat potatoes!?! That's been the big thing in keeping me from eating more Primal. I totally heart potatoes. Rice is grain right? *sigh* It's another good filler we eat around here. But, I bought some veggies to try and make for myself.
Many of us in the grain free thread here do potatoes. In Mark's book _The Primal Blueprint_, he recommends doing sweet potatoes/yams over white potatoes, but says that they are best for folks who need to get more carbs in general. Many on the MDA forums are totally against potatoes in all form. Most paleo resources are NOT pro-potatoes. But most of us here in the mothering threads are a lot more flexible. I think its about what works for *your* body. You can also just go grain lite, and do rice if you really want. There are actually folks in the MDA forums who talk about doing this. (They are few and many do tons of working out stuff, so trying to restore glycogen and stuff--I think?) I would just do whatever works _for you_. You can continually tweak it based on how you feel, which is what I've been doing since starting this.

If you want to keep in potatoes etc., I think starting w/ the 150 g carbs a day as a cap thing is a helpful place to start. Just to get you thinking more about how many carbs are in various foods, etc. But still, its all about figuring out what works best for *your* body, which no one but *you* can know.

Have you seen the primal blueprint 101 stuff? Really helpful IMO. And with all things, I just take what works for me, let go of the rest.

Quote:
Is there a Primal/Paleo recipe thread somewhere or do I just need to sift through this one?
Yeah, we basically do all the stuff in this thread. We do it monthly, so there are _many_ threads to weed through if you're interested. If you search the archives for grain free, you'll find a lot, and some are _just_ recipe focused. Actually--I think there *is* an old grain free recipe thread which might be helpful. Oh, here it is: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...n+free+recipes

ETA: Its actually an awesome thread--glad I found it!!

HTH!!

I traditional foods
#141 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM

I am super excited to be in this thread. I'll probably end up spending a lot of time looking at recipes when my son naps!

#142 of 205 Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 PM

I am also a newbie on this board and I have a sleeping baby on my back and not enough time to read thread. What are the quintessential boks I should read to get more info on primal/paleo diet. Thank you so much

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#143 of 205 Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM

Hi again, friends! I only skimmed this months thread in an effort to actually post and try to jump back in!

New things-

1- I have come very close to my weight goal. !!! I am working on body composition, but I am right around 130 lbs (goal is 125-130) and fitting into size 4s, some 6s, xs tops. !!! I was 150 and closing in on 8-10s in April. (I'm a 5 ft 2 inches pear shape)
So, yay me.

2-Even with weekends of looser "primal" morals, lol, I have been steadily losing weight and tightening up all summer. It's fantastic! And now an off day (like yesterday) means I succumbed to a handful of potato chips, a half piece of chebe pizza (along with my primal pizza) and a teensy more 90% lindt than I really needed. So, my tolerance for crap has gone waaay down.

3-My older two (had been homeschooling) are going to start public next week. Grades 4 and 2. Their choice, but we are all looking forward to it for various reasons. We have been getting to bed earlier and up earlier, following motivatied moms chore list and generally getting more organized here at the beginning of fall (fall. snort, Feb2003 will tell ya, it's fckin hot here in tx. 100-1005 for over two weeks straight.)
Anyhoo, I'm looking at primal bento planning, meal planning in general and feeling very proud of myself. :-)

4- I have been fitting in walking a bit more, and will be walking the kids to school in the morning, so I'm getting the "move slowly" a lot more. I also, drumroll, have been barefooting it more, and will be ordering a huaraches kit from barefoot ted's site, luna something or other. Looking at knitting some mocs and slippers for winter for dd and I as we want to stay as barefoot as possible! I hope to strengthen/heal my flat arches.

And.... my menu for the week!

Sunday- we celebrated our 5 year anniversary by (I know, this is so lacking in romance...) taking the kids to the mall to play lunar golf, walking a bunch, going to the sporting store and looking at vibrams and skateboards, and grilling up a bunch of sausages, hatch chilies, potatoes, onions, and had a salad on the side. organic red wine (Sunday has become my fasting day as well, 22 hrs this time!)
Monday-playdate/sleepover with toooo many kids- baked potatoes- loaded. Pork Carnitas in the crockpot (with a hatch chili in it, yum), salad. I made an AWESOME mock margarita with a half shot of tequila, lime, pinch sea salt, and a couple ounces of diet tonic (splenda, I know, but I love tonic and found one with no aspartame and its just perfect in this heat) over ice. mmm
Tuesday-Dinner at moms, made pizza dough with flax/coconut flour/cheese/egg. Also "cheated" a bit with half a piece of chebe, but seriously didn't want more. lots of veggies, some sausage and pepperoni, etc. A "margarita" and half a glass of white wine. Finished the day with a cup of rrl tea with my dd.

Wed- PLanning on grilling up a bunch of chicken, with a salad. Picking all the leftover chicken apart, making bone broth

Thurs- Dd helped plan chinese food PF Chang night
Egg Drop Soup (with bone broth)
Lettuce Wraps (with picked chicken from W)
Onigiri (Rice balls wrapped in Nori, the kids want these in their bento, I've agreed to 1-2 times a week. I don't mind them having small amounts of rice, so I am practicing the rice ball making)
Coconut fortune cookies

Fri- Leftovers or gram's house, I work 4-7
Sat-maybe a party at a friends house, work 3-6

Sun- DH grill, salad, food prep for next week

Look at me, I'm all organized!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#144 of 205 Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve View Post
What are the quintessential boks I should read to get more info on primal/paleo diet. Thank you so much
I just posted my thoughts on this here: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...&postcount=111

Welcome lurve!!

I traditional foods
#145 of 205 Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
Look at me, I'm all organized!
Woo hoo on everything Shelley!!!!! Sounds like a primal success story for sure! And your organization--wow! You arfe inspirational!!!!

I traditional foods
#146 of 205 Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Yesterday's eats:

B- 2 grass fed hot dogs w/ bbq sauce and mustardand a green smoothie

L-leftover chicken leg w/ hot sauce, brussel sprouts w/ garlic and onions

S-pepperoni and a peach

D- chipotle salad w/ chicken, salsa and guac mmmmm banana dessert

OOOO-and I tried a bit of ds' coconut carob bark and didn't get a headache from the CO!!!! Healing is happening over here!!! WOO HOO!!

Today--coconut flour muffin for breakfast (eggs again--I'm feeling good!!) and a peach

(late) Lunch plan is oven baked ribs!!! (and my BBQ sauce) w/ a green smoothie (ds and dh will have fries)

Dinner--probably grilled chicken w/ a salad (w/ avocado and EVOO dressing for good fats!)

I'm excited! And been doing well sticking to it! Woo hoo!!!

I traditional foods
#147 of 205 Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Today I made bannock with sole purpose of consuming some. I ate some and then some more.
I don't feel regretful about this, its something I needed to do for me. August is a hard month for me, my father died August 18th, 24 years ago when I was 10 years old. Bannock is a huge part of my peoples community. If we had dry meat, I would have eat that instead. Instead I made bannock and I remembered.

Sometimes you need to deviate from the plan

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#148 of 205 Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Today I made bannock with sole purpose of consuming some. I ate some and then some more.
I don't feel regretful about this, its something I needed to do for me. August is a hard month for me, my father died August 18th, 24 years ago when I was 10 years old. Bannock is a huge part of my peoples community. If we had dry meat, I would have eat that instead. Instead I made bannock and I remembered.

Sometimes you need to deviate from the plan
Sacred foods are exempt, and belong in the realm of tradition, healing and spiritualty, not to be dictated by diet or health choices that we make in the rest of life imo.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#149 of 205 Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Now I want some Bannock.

Sorry for your loss, and I agree, some things are sacred and worth the few times in your life you will have them. <3 Be good to yourself.

Last nights dinner was delish.
We grilled up a bunch of chicken, (skinless thighs and a pack of leg quarters), russet and sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and had a salad with it. Had some more red wine but I'm thinking I won't have wine again this week. We haven't been drinking it (it's so damn hot here) and have been mixing up little tonic drinks instead, and I'm liking that much more. Wine is just so heavy in this heat. blah.
I walked for 45 minutes on moms treadmill in the air conditioning. :-) I need to do that more often, it was nice, I read a silly Highlander romance while walking (move slowly!) and not dying from overheat. score.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#150 of 205 Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 PM

ugh. the closer i get to the end of this pregnancy the harder time i'm having eating good. and it's catching up with me, i gained 3.5-4lb in the past 2 weeks. This has zoomed me up to within half a pound of my goal weight gain of 40lb. I'm 39weeks today, so if I have the baby soon I may still stay under it. If I go to 42 weeks, then I'm definitely going to be over. Right now I just plain don't care what I eat, but I think I'm getting sick so that has something to do with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page