Paleo and Primal Living...in August! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
ooh! recipes for all of the squash meals please!
Butternut squash fries: http://www.comfybelly.com/2009/02/yummy-oven-fries.html

The pasta I just put the sqash through my spiral slicer, then boiled for a few minutes until it was soft/pasta like, then added a homemade meat sauce. Butternut squash pasta retains a lot of water, so draining in a strainer might be helpful for a minute or two.

Feb2003, thanks for all the inspiration!!

Congrats Vaquitita!!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#182 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
update on weight gain: since todays my due date (which is the last point I weighed myself in previous pregnancies) my official weight gain this preg is.... 38lb!!! Yahoo!
That's awesome. I gained 50LBS with my first pregnancy and was so miserable. I'm determined to notdo it again

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#183 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
update on weight gain: since todays my due date (which is the last point I weighed myself in previous pregnancies) my official weight gain this preg is.... 38lb!!! Yahoo!
Yay Vaquitita!! WOOHOO!!!

Feb2003 - oh my nosh! Those recipes look/sound amazing... I'm drooling over the Thai ground beef right now, but the cottage pie in winter would be mmmmm

FR -mmmm for squash fries & noodles. Those will be perfect for winter too.
I feel like a squirrel storing up recipes for the winter now

This week despite my moon visit, is going smoothly and very low carb.
Here's the rundown from yesterday which is mostly a template for my week:
B - Coffee/Cream/CO/Stevia/Splenda
Sn- Leftover Hamburger patty & bratwurst link
L - Small can of tuna with mayo & fresh fruit salad (1 1/2 C)- w/ no sugar added
Sn- Veggies & hummus
D/Even Sn. - Popcorn with butter I was going to have speghetti but got overwhelmed with kiddos, a sleepover and a fussy baby

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#184 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
That's awesome. I gained 50LBS with my first pregnancy and was so miserable. I'm determined to notdo it again
You can do it! I gained 60LBS in each of my other pregnancies! I've only been eating LC since the end of May (I was trying to eat reduced carbs for 2-3 months before that, but was a long way from eating LC). When I decided to try it I thought wistfully that it would be nice to only gain 40lb this pregnancy, but didn't think it was doable at that point since I'd already gained almost 30? (I'd have to go back to check for sure). So I can't believe I actually did it! And this WOE has lowered my bp. In my previous pregnancies I averaged 130/80, with it higher while at my MW's office. At my dr's appt this week, it was 122/70! While it wasn't a real problem before, it just shows me that my body really likes this WOE.

Update on my mom: I talked before about how I was trying to get my diabetic, high bp, high cholesterol, non-functioning mom to change her eating. She finally tried it, lost 13lb in the first 2 weeks. Because of a pinched nerve in her hand, she hasn't been doing as good lately because it's hard to prepare food. But she's still trying, and says she is staying off the sugar anyway. I guess she's been talking about it with my sister A, because the other day she asked me what I and mom were doing. She didn't need specifics of why it works* see footnote, she already mostly knows that it's good just has a hard time doing it. so i gave her the same keeping-it-simple info i told my mom. so she's going to join us! i'm so excited her reason is weight loss, but i think it should help her with her other health problems too. she's got low thyroid and depression, low energy too.

*footnote: A doesn't need convincing that it's healthy because she and my other sister M were living together during the time that M was diagnosed with rhumetoid arthritis (at 18!) and saw how when she changed her diet to TF and then to LC all her symptoms disappeared. this has been over the past 4 years, when I discovered TF I of course wanted to share all the info with my family. both my sisters agreed with it in theory, but M really embraced it and made huge changes in how she ate. feeling the effects on her RA i'm sure really kept her going. M has stuck with being LC much better than I have, I've tried to limit carbs sometimes but always ended up back eating my yummy TF breads/baked goods. Being preg and/or nursing was always a good excuse.

ok, probably way more background info than anyone is really interested in. suffice to say, i'm hoping my mom and sister really give this a shot. i would love to see them feeling better. the day i was talking to my sister about it, we had spent the day together. it's sad when i at 9 months pregnant have more energy then she did. but it's a good reminder to me that this WOE is worth it!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#185 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Well...with my first pregnancy I ate HORRIBLY. Think lots of eating after 10pm...and it wasn't like "Oh, I'll have a salad or a small bowl of ice cream" or something. It was "I want a double bacon cheeseburger at 11pm" kind of eating. I had gained 20lbs by 20 weeks.
This time we don't eat out very often...and I've been craving salads and baked potatoes. At my 16 week appt I'd only gained 5lbs! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to only gain 20-25lbs (you know, the "recommended" amount) this time. I'd also love for my ankles to not swell to the point of my losing feeling in my toes...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#186 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Vaquitita, it wasn't more than I wanted...I could hear your love for them in your whole story Coming to you is, I think, a pretty big step...I hope she finds health in this WOE and realizes that the discomfort of change is so worth it!

I go in extreme cycles in my desire to cook (esp. trying new things), but this week has apparently been an "on" week . Today the boys and I made chicken nuggets and I have to tell you, chicken nuggets with healthy, dark meat and coated with seasoned almond flour and baked are FABULOUS!!

I ran out of Bob's Red Mill almond flour about halfway through so I used the food processor to make a rough meal...not nearly as fine, but functional. Eating them side by side, I prefer the finer meal/flour because it makes a thinner coating (and looks more "normal").

I bought boneless, skinless thighs b/c we love dark meat and it's cheaper than the breasts. I cleaned off any huge globs of fat and then just roughly cut them into ~1 1/2 squares (I tried for even thickness so they'd cook together). Anyway, here's the recipe with general amounts:

2# chicken thighs, cleaned and cut into nuggets

dip (beat together):
2-3 eggs
~1/2 tsp honey

coating:
3 c. almond meal
~2 Tbs paprika
2-3 tsp. sage
~1 Tbs garlic powder (mine's strong)
sea salt (I was generous with this, but didn't measure)
pepper (I combined cracked black with powdered white)

(I'm not sure what poultry seasoning is, but I used the sage, garlic and S&P...you could use whatever)

Bake on oiled sheet pan (I used a seasoned pampered chef bar pan...love it!) at 400 degrees for 8-10 min per side.

ENjoy!!

I'm going to try freezing the extras and then see how they defrost for lunches...
#187 of 205 Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Vaq: great story of your history and inspiring about the healthy pregnancy!

I have been having a better week. I had a terrible week while I had AF-it wasn't that I ate too many carbs, it was that I ate too much food altogether. Anywhoo, I have been reading on MDA about IF and realized that I have some issues with food-the main one being that I am always thinking about when and where my next meal is going to be, and if I am working or traveling I obsess about it to the point that I will eat many times a day even when I am not hungry because I am always thinking 'well, I better eat now because I don't know if i'll be able to find food I like for my next meal.'

For the past 2 days I have IF'd for 17 hrs then ate a normal amount of calories for the day. Yesterday I pigged out after my IF, but today I was better and ate a small meal with lots of fat and protein and stopped to let the 'full' feeling catch up with my brain. Do any of you IF everyday? I don't know how practical it is while I am nursing (I am the one who asked about LC and supply, mine goes down a bit when I lower my carbs below 100g a day.) I am traveling soon and a daily IF (basically skipping breakfast) would make things so much easier, although I am going to have to feed my toddler.

DH and I took a cooking class tonight it was fun and the food was great! Not so bad for carbs, except for the white chocolate bread pudding. We made a spinach salad with bacon sweet/sour dressing, and mushroom stuffed chicken breasts with a red wine reduction sauce. I feel inspired to try more things on the MDA recipe list. DH wants to cook more too, it is so nice to have him cooking some of our food now .

We create our own reality.
#188 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
I've made a couple of meals lately that were just yum so I'll share (we're dairy and grain free) :

cottage pie with cauliflower top (like a Shepard's Pie, but with beef)
- sautee ground beef, onions, garlic, carrots, celery (mushrooms would be good, too)
- add chicken stock, ~Tbs ketchup, arrowroot, oregano, basil, parsley, and a little cinnamon, and chopped fresh tomato
- stew until thick
---> topped with roasted cauliflower that I pureed with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast
- add more fat on top (I used EVCO) and sprinkle with paprika
- bake at ~400 for ~25 min

Thai ground beef
mostly from MightyMite on MDA (you can search for it)
-ground beef, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper
-lime juice, thai red chili paste, fish sauce
-cilantro and basil
-salted nuts
(we just ate this on a plate and it got rave reviews from DH and DSs, but it'd be great in lettuce cups as intended)
yummmmmm thank you for these recipes!

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#189 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 AM

I don't know if I have gave congrats to GGL and AFWife! Many congrats on the pregnancies!

Feb2003- Chicken nuggets sound so good, haven't made those in forever! Or fish sticks!

Cooking here has been sporadic as well. I have got to plan for next week!!!

re: pregnancy weight gain: gained 55 w/ first but only 35 w/ the last 2. Last time I kept it lower carb all the way through. Tried to stay grainfree as well. The first trimester I ate some gluten free grains more than I had been but it was fairly rare in the second trimester and in the 3rd trimester I was back to full-blown grainfree. However, I did feel the need for more carbs than usual and I did have potatoes and sweet potatoes when I felt that need. My pregnancy health couldn't have been better and I was getting around great up even until I had her at 41w1d. Everyone complains they are miserable by that point I was only miserable w/ the mental aspect of waiting but physically I felt good. I hope next time it is even better and I am even more active as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#190 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM

I don't know if it's Paleo/Primal at all...but we bought some pasta made with Jerusalem Artichoke Flour and it was AMAZING. I told DH I think I like it better than regular pasta. It wasn't all starchy feeling.

#191 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Ok, it's time for a rant.

I ate some eggs last Saturday for breakfast and ended up extremely ill for a week. They were eggs from the local farmers, not from a factory, but I think this pregnancy has triggered a huge egg allergy for me. I couldn't eat for a week, had terrible diahrrea, severe nausea...at one point, I asked DH to take me to the hospital because I couldn't stand. It could have possibly been food poisoning, but I think it was the eggs. No one else around here got sick.

I'm 29-30 weeks now, in my third trimester, and I feel like the morning sickness is coming back full force. I can't eat anything right now except a little broth and some brown rice crackers. There is no way I am going to gain the weight that I need to gain for this pregnancy. I look emaciated, I have no energy, I'm still in the bed and it's the middle of the day. I feel like I can barely move...just like first trimester morning sickness.

This is my third pregnancy, the most Paleo of all of my pregnancies, and this one is rivaling my SAD pregnancy with DS#1. I am in utter disbelief. I mean, at least with him, I could order a pizza and a coke and be sick. With this one, I have to cook a meal from scratch and be sick and even more tired than before. My DD#2 was semi Paleo (Garden of Eating), more towards the last trimester, and was a much better pregnancy...what am I doing differently?

I know that eating clean like this is better for the baby, but really, what freaking gives??? I have been sick or in ill health for this ENTIRE pregnancy!

First trimester: morning sickness, then food poisoning while traveling overseas. Lost 12 pounds.
Second trimester: stressful move, pulled a muscle, put on bedrest. Then the dairy fiasco that screwed up my iron and hormones, not to mention my gut.
Third trimester: more gastrointestinal problems from the eggs, and now morning sickness is back.

My vegetarian diet loving midwives blame my meat heavy diet. I haven't made an appointment with them this month because I know I am going to hear it about my weight loss and the health of the baby. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Potatoes and sweet potatoes sound disgusting. Dairy screws up my stomach. No eggs. Why is my Paleo diet failing me? Am I in that bad of health?? I must be.

Then the psychological part. I didn't plan this pregnancy. I was getting ready to join Crossfit, get my body healthy. We can't afford another baby...I know it is a blessing from God, but right now it's hard to see that. God, forgive me.

My husband and my children...I feel so sorry for them. How am I going to make it another 2.5 months?????????

Advice, prayers, hugs, ANYTHING needed.
#192 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM

OK, I should follow up with some positives:

I have absolutely no PUPPS this pregnancy. I attribute that to very little sugar in my diet. If you have ever gone through PUPPS, you know how terrible it is. I think it's what made my first pregnancy the worst. This one comes in a close second.

I sleep like a rock at night. My kids do, too.

Speaking of my kids, they are doing so well eating this way. They are very healthy, sleep well, very smart and very well behaved. I know it's not all the diet, but I can see from their clear eyes, pink lips and rosy cheeks that they are thriving on a meat/veggie based diet.

No swelling of any kind.

I just need some advice on my to get my appetite and strength back...thanks.
#193 of 205 Old 08-28-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
Ok, it's time for a rant.
HUGE from me.

I'm going to brainstorm to see if anything that comes to my mind might help you...I'm sure you've thought of/tried so many things, but I don't have much else to offer on the food front so I'll just ramble and hope it helps.

veggies? which veggies can you eat? right now we're eating a lot of okra, bell peppers, squash, broccoli, carrots, and leafy dark greens

could you include some veg in your broth? maybe if they were cooked down a lot...that makes them easier to digest, right? Or a blended soup?

what about fats? avocado, coconut milk/cream/oil...
(if you can't get them down straight off a spoon or as a smoothie, maybe you can freeze a blended mix into popsicles and suck slowly?)

fruits? berries (maybe frozen?), peaches, bananas
-what about dehydrated bananas, cantaloupe, papaya, pineapple (lots of sugar in some)

Quote:
I know it is a blessing from God, but right now it's hard to see that. God, forgive me.
another ! I felt this way when we were pregnant with ds2...the timing was all 'wrong' to me (ds1 had a looming serious surgery and I just didn't *want* to divide my attention, time, etc). I was angry at God about ds1's bone problem and then for the timing of the second pregnancy...and then I felt so much guilt for my anger and for not wanting the gifts I'm given. It took a while for me accept 'what is' be thankful for everything again. You are not alone and He will forgive your being human.
#194 of 205 Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 AM

I think that if most women have carb cravings during pregnancy that it's a sign there's a biological need for them. So see if you can stand sugary fruit. Dates, melons, figs, papaya.

How does the idea of a coconut take you? If it seems plausible, you should try one.

How about nuts, seeds, and grasses? Tolerable sounding?

I don't see how they can blame your meat diet when you haven't had meat for weeks.
#195 of 205 Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Advice, prayers, hugs, ANYTHING needed.

If I were in your shoes, I might not worry a/b eating primal or 'clean', and just eat _anything_ that seems remotely appealing, trying to still avoid foods you are sensitive to if possible.

The more I learn/read/experience, the more I'm coming to believe that we each thrive on very unique micronutrient breakdowns. GoE is a little higher carb (than PB) paleo diet + tubers. Meal breakdown is basically 1 serving of meat + green veg + starch/carbs (tubers, starchy veg, fruit, etc), topped w/ some fat. Sounds like you're not wanting tubers--would rice or some other starch be appealing? Sorry if this is of no help...

RE morning sickness, there is a big thread which talks a lot about how milk thistle really helps prevent it. I might look into just taking it (great to support your liver anyway), maybe in capsule form if drinking the tea wouldn't be appealing.

Are you taking any prenatals or other vites/minerals? Nutrient deficiencies could possibly be playing a role in how you're feeling...maybe supplementation of some sort might be helpful??

I'm so sorry you're going through this!! I hope you are feeling better soon, and all goes smoothly for the rest of your pregnancy and birth.

I traditional foods
#196 of 205 Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
another ! I felt this way when we were pregnant with ds2...the timing was all 'wrong' to me (ds1 had a looming serious surgery and I just didn't *want* to divide my attention, time, etc). I was angry at God about ds1's bone problem and then for the timing of the second pregnancy...and then I felt so much guilt for my anger and for not wanting the gifts I'm given. It took a while for me accept 'what is' be thankful for everything again. You are not alone and He will forgive your being human.
I really appreciate your honesty...you made me a little teary-eyed. I know it will all work out according to His plan. I have to ride this wave and see what's planned for me. It's just hard sometimes, but I know I will get through it.

I took your food advice and I made some vegetable soup for breakfast and lunch today. It was yummy. I'm also going to make some popsicles with coconut milk, bananas and strawberries tomorrow. Thank you.

Sapphire-chan - I've eaten 95% Primal/Paleo from the very beginning of this pregnancy, so they feel I set myself up for this. They have never said it this way, but they keep encouraging me to eat sprouted wheat bread, quinoa, whole grains, etc. And I ate meat last week (lots of it) before I got sick. Every time I try grains, they kill my gut. I guess I'm just too sensitive to them right now. A few days ago, I tried to add some brown rice noodles to my soup and boy, my colon was not happy. Between the crackers, noodles, congee, I felt like I was in labor trying to go to the bathroom. Everyone's right about starches slowing things down.

I'll try your dried fruit suggestion...thank you.

FairyRae - DH got me some B6 today and I'm taking dandelion capsules at night. I really appreciate the link. I'm also popping pills like a 95 year old in a nursing home (folic acid, iron, organ delight, vitD, cal/mag, and now b6 with the dandelion...something else, too) and I am not a fan of pills. I guess I'm in reactive mode and not proactive mode now, sigh. Take lesson from me...do the best you can to get your body in tip top shape before the next baby. Oh, and have baby early. I'm no spring chicken.

Thanks again for the replies.
#197 of 205 Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Oh suzukiaustin, just wanted to send more I'm thinking of you!!!

So, I totally ate off my 'plan' to avoid sugars, legumes, etc yesterday. I'm working on a cookie recipe for ds w/ a legume base, and have an issue about *not* eating everything I make... I'm *still* feeling it this am, but not so bad. Oh well! Everything I do reminds me that I do WAY better sticking to primal/paleo eating!!!! Ds and Dh, I've been comng to realize, are really not going to want to be fully primal/paleo, and I'm ok w/ that. I've been trying to offer/provide foods that are made in a more TF/Maker's Diet manner, but free of gluten and ds's other intolerances. I wasn't as focused on it while trying to make everything primally, and they tended to rely more heavily on things like brown rice crackers and storebought gf cookies if I wasn't making things they want in a tf manner. So I'm working on the balance piece of this, esp as it relates to meals etc. Side dishes that meet their needs and then mine as well, etc... The hardest part for me *will* be that I have a hard time *not* eating foods that I bake from scratch...so, we'll just see how it goes.

Cold bacon topped w/ avocado and onions for breakfast yesterday, along w/ some lentil cookies, and a piece of ds' eggy lentil bread (yikes my tummy hurt!!!), porkchops w/ roasted cauli for a late lunch, then a small salad topped w/ chicken and some bone broth based veggie soup for dinner, um, and a couple more lentil cookies.

Breakfast will be soup, and maybe dinner will be this turkey breast I got on sale really cheap. (Antibiotic free--not pastured ) It has no skin and is deboned. Any recommendations for how to cook it? I'm not sure what to do w/ it...Maybe roast it covered in the oven so it doesn't dry out?

I traditional foods
#198 of 205 Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Awesome Millie Ivy!!!

On a related note, I downloaded the primal blueprint fitness ebook, and I LOVE it. Really simple, broken down for all fitness levels, efficient workouts, and just awesome. Mostly body weight based so you can basically do the stuff any time, anywhere. I did my first LHT (lift heavy things) workout yesterday and it was great. Really excited a/b this!
Thanks, and I dl the ebook, too and it's fantastic isn't it!?

Quote:
I've made a couple of meals lately that were just yum so I'll share (we're dairy and grain free) :

cottage pie with cauliflower top (like a Shepard's Pie, but with beef)
- sautee ground beef, onions, garlic, carrots, celery (mushrooms would be good, too)
- add chicken stock, ~Tbs ketchup, arrowroot, oregano, basil, parsley, and a little cinnamon, and chopped fresh tomato
- stew until thick
---> topped with roasted cauliflower that I pureed with salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast
- add more fat on top (I used EVCO) and sprinkle with paprika
- bake at ~400 for ~25 min

Thai ground beef
mostly from MightyMite on MDA (you can search for it)
-ground beef, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper
-lime juice, thai red chili paste, fish sauce
-cilantro and basil
-salted nuts
(we just ate this on a plate and it got rave reviews from DH and DSs, but it'd be great in lettuce cups as intended)

I also made ceviche earlier in the week with cod and scallops (see Cheeseslave.com for recipe and video)
--> it was yummy and fresh for me and DH, but only mediocre for our 5 and 7 year olds

The boys start school again next week and I'm getting a little nervous about lunches. Our food is just so fresh that it's hard to think of what'll stay good and taste good after 4 hours in a lunch bag with a freezer pack. And I don't want their food microwaved (which is the only heat up option) so I do all cold/room temp food. Ideas????
1- yummo to the recipes. Makes me hungry and ready for cooler weather!

2- Lunches- Do your kids eat exactly the same as you? Mine will eat grains some (totally not SAD every meal type grain eating, but some) so I save the grain type stuff for lunches, since they are easier.
Today, my kids took bento boxes with a little rice noodles (olive oil, sea salt and pepper on top) sliced meat from dinner last night (ds had steak, dd had chopped chicken in the noodles, as she doesn't like meat), pear slices, ds had pickles, dd had a hard boiled egg (I thought I put some veg in hers but Ican't remember...I'm still getting over the cold and brain cells aren't working...Oh yeah! I chopped some zucchini in her pasta) with a little leaf shaped marzipan dipped in chocolate for dessert. They'll have a piece of cheese and a little coconut macaroon at morning snack
(Normally they don't get two sweet things, it just worked out that way. Treats typically are coconut macaroons, dark choclate, fruit leather, or very sporadically a rice cake or mochi from the asian market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
Well...with my first pregnancy I ate HORRIBLY. Think lots of eating after 10pm...and it wasn't like "Oh, I'll have a salad or a small bowl of ice cream" or something. It was "I want a double bacon cheeseburger at 11pm" kind of eating. I had gained 20lbs by 20 weeks.
This time we don't eat out very often...and I've been craving salads and baked potatoes. At my 16 week appt I'd only gained 5lbs! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to only gain 20-25lbs (you know, the "recommended" amount) this time. I'd also love for my ankles to not swell to the point of my losing feeling in my toes...
That was totally me my first pregnancy. I gained 50ish lbs my first one, and it was totally like that with my eating. Whole batches of annies mac and cheese, bagels, carbs carbs carbs. It was a combo of first pregnancy "eating for two=eating whatever I want!" and a depressing sad marriage.
2nd preg, I was going through a divorce and getting healthy- only gained like 25 total, I lost some during the first tri.
3rd preg I gained exactly 30 lbs, and was down 15 of that by the first month pp. This was all before going gluten free, TF and everything. If we ever have another I plan on being TF and as primal/grain free/low carb as my body allows.

SO! I totally came down with a cold. I feel better this morning finally, after 4 days, but I have a racking, obnoxious cough. I need to see if I have any homeopathy for it, it's pretty distinctive in that fresh air/blowing air makes it way worse. More broth for me today!
Yesterday eats---
B- Lattes with store bought OV whole milk. the farm was low on milk the day I wanted to get some because of the heat, so we ran out. DH always has smoothies so he got that, but ick, it doesn't even taste the same any more.
2 fried eggs, 1/2 a little green apple -- Local! hurray!

L- a couple cups of chicken broth from Mom's Italian wedding soup the other night with a clove of garlic squeezed in the bowl.

D- Olive Garden with my inlaws for my and my SIL birthday. I had salad, steak and squash with parmesan, and 2 glasses of chardonnay. and andes mints.
Actually, later i had a little glass of red wine as well, after kids went to bed.
Good day all in all!

Got up and felt better, except the cough is worse, and I am proud because we still walked to school! 40 minutes of slow, easy walking!

I need to get reorganized today, after the pest control guys are done. My house is trashed from my being sick. blah.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#199 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
checking in- glad to see you hanging on Vaquitta- your almost there!!!

neverdoingitagain- so sorry for your loss

I haven't been so militant lately about being 100% grainfree. Before I wouldn't even sample something with grains in it. I am trying to find a bit of moderation. I made some sorgum/potato starch pancakes this Sun and last and we thoroughly enjoyed them. I had pasta a couple of times as well(brown rice). I still feel better more away from grains and lower carb though but I am I guess moving to a 90/10-80/20 instead of thinking I have to be 100%.

We are also doing a dairy trial here w/ grassfed butter and raw goat milk. It has been nearly a week so far and going good. I made homemade ricotta last night and a pasta bake. It was kind of an emotional thing for us. It has been so long since I cooked anything like that and the kids have never had anything. Ds loved the cheese and kept raving about how he wanted to buy all the goat milk. Dh loved it as well- he stays df at home as well. I am trying not to get hopes up but to be one step closer to normal is exciting. I really, really, really hope that it works. We have been gluten free for 2 yrs now so I would think surely that the dairy intolerance was due to the gluten damage surely we have healed it.

Anyway, enough rambling about that! Working out is going great! Food has been basic- I have got to meal plan next week as we are starting back to school in another week and I must have a better plan. I plan to start going to a local gym next week, this is my last week at the CF gym- I am going to have dh take over super on that night. It will be awesome to have a night off from cooking as well!
suzukiaustin- big hugs- you just eat what you need to eat!

I am loving the Primal fitness book as well. I have tried to follow a vague Primal plan for a while- I really like it.

2-5 hrs low level activity
1-3 x LHT
1x sprinting

I like the variety it provides. I enjoy all of the workouts and never get tired of any particular thing. Plus, my fitness is building and I realize now things that were workouts before I am doing for fun!

Right now I am training for a 5 k but most of that training is done interval and sprinting style. I am enjoying the challenge now especially w/the Vibrams.

Currently there is a Crossfit thread in Fitness I am participating in- hopefully next month we can make it more inclusive to the Primal fitness as well- I do CF in the Primal model for my LHT. Anyway, I welcome everyone the more the merrier and I love to read others workouts for the encouragement!

Food is going fairly well. Like I said last week I have been in a 90-95/10-5 model rather than trying to be 100%. I had some popcorn the other night. A couple of sm. sorghum pancakes for Sunday. But also enjoyed a very luscious chili stew last night and Sunday w/ just lots of meat and veggies. B-fast yesterday was just bacon. Lunch was a HUGE salad w/ tilipia, bacon, guac, broccoli slaw, tomatoes and sweet potato on the side w/ some dark chocolate! I was a hungry girl yesterday!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#200 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM

oops, didn't mean to quote myself- not sure how that happened!

#201 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM

I made the BEST wings last night!!! I've been trying to bake them in a manner that would come out really crispy and delish, and last night they were amazing, so I'm sharing what I did.

Based on a rec. from an Alton Brown recipe, I steamed the wings first. (But, I don't have a steamer big enough, so I just put water in the bottom of a large pot, put the wings on top, covered and steamed that way--so some were in a bit of water, but it still worked.) Steamed for 10-15ish minutes. They were semi thawed when I started this.

Took them out, let them cool a little, then dried them off on all sides w/ a cloth (paper towel would work well--I didn't have any.) Put them on a peice of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, seasoned w/ salt free Mrs. Dash (just a seasoning blend), salt & kelp flakes, and popped them in the oven at 450, for maybe 45-50 minutes? (I had been adding olive oil b/4, but I think they were *too* oily to get really really crisp w/ it, so I did it this way instead.) I turned them multiple times until they got brown and delish looking, then took them out, let them cool, and we dipped them in our various favorite sauces (me--a blend of Frank's Red Hot and ghee, ds, BBQ sauce, and dh, storebought sweet & sour.) They were crunchy and amazingly delish. We may need to make them 2x a week b/c we loved them so much...

I traditional foods
#202 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I made the BEST wings last night!!!

We may need to make them 2x a week b/c we loved them so much

YUM!!

Thanks for sharing.

I've got pre-menstrual crazy going on (combined with our boys starting school and, therefore totally changing our schedule) so eating is a bit sporadic and random. must.meal.plan. must.meal.plan. must add chicken wings to meal plan. I find it hard to meal plan most of the month, but hardest around my period when I need it most!

On another note, I'm so excited that a local farm started selling boneless thighs! I'll still buy their whole chickens, but we *really* love thighs so we were running to Whole Foods to grab boneless, skinless thighs pretty regularly. Now I can have a higher quality and support the Hutchins Family. I have some thawed and DH'll probably grill them up (he does an amazing cumin/sea salt/pepper rub...they stay so moist...mmmmm), but I'm open to other ideas...

I'm also looking for a dairy-free way to enjoy rainbow chard. I typically sautee it with garlic in bacon grease, but would love other ideas...

THANKS!
#203 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
must.meal.plan. must.meal.plan. must add chicken wings to meal plan. I find it hard to meal plan most of the month, but hardest around my period when I need it most!
to all of that!!!! (And mmmm chicken wings! BTW, anyone know of a *good* source of chicken wings? Like, better than terrible? I don't know of any place that sells *just* pastured or organic/free range wings, etc...typically the whole bird, yk? Cool that your place sells the boneless thighs!)

I traditional foods
#204 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM

Feb2003! I am also about to start, also just got the kids in school, also planning chicken wings, also needing to meal plan, and sick of the heat. Lets get together and sip ice tea and play, k?

Seriously, I know we said that at the beginning of summer but now I reeeeally wanna and I think we can swing a day now the kids are in school. :-)

It's mah birthday today. I had a fried red potato, little bit of dill havarti and 2 fried eggs for breakfast, leftover mixed grill steak and chicken and veg from Olive Garden for lunch.
Met a dear friend for (her lunch) a coffee date, much french roast and half and half.
mmm
Dinner will be some sort of stuffed squash thingie. I have wild rice I want to use, leftover chicken, and some little round squash that kind of look like acorn. yum. Kinda carby, but still ok.

AND! i measured myself and I've lost more inches (accumulated from all measurements of my body) this month! Woot. I'm a major pear, and I stopped losing inches in my top which is good, my waist stayed the same, which is fine. My belly went down, my thighs went down and my hips a teeny bit too! This is awesome, this close to goal weight/size, to still be reshaping with very little work. I love it. My goal was to lose 5 last lbs between end of July and my birthday and I haven't even gotten to a scale recently but the inches lost is even better no matter what the scale says!

yay

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#205 of 205 Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
Feb2003! I am also about to start, also just got the kids in school, also planning chicken wings, also needing to meal plan, and sick of the heat.
Too funny!!

Quote:
Lets get together and sip ice tea and play, k?
I'd LOVE to. I'll pm you.

Quote:
It's mah birthday today.
Happy, Happy Birthday!!

Quote:
AND! i measured myself and I've lost more inches
You ROCK! Congrats!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page