Is Bison all grass fed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought some bison at Costco. I am just wondering if all Bison is grass fed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not necessarily. I get mine from Cook's Bison Ranch here in Indiana, and they're grassfed and also fed organic grain that they grow themselves. I'm waiting to hear back from them on what percentage of their diet is grass/hay.
#3 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM

From what I've read, all bison is at least partially grass-fed.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM

from website:

"Bison are allowed to roam freely most of their lives. They are raised on the open range and eat hay or grass. They are usually given grain during the last 90 to 120 days before slaughter."

i think they are referring to all bison raised in the usa

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#5 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm subbing because I have bought bison because I believed it was probably fed a lot more grass than would have been available to the beef that was for sale, but I wondered! Thanks to those who know...

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#6 of 11 Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeanne View Post
from website:

"Bison are allowed to roam freely most of their lives. They are raised on the open range and eat hay or grass. They are usually given grain during the last 90 to 120 days before slaughter."

i think they are referring to all bison raised in the usa
Bummer! I was really hoping that most bison was grass finished, not grain finished.
#7 of 11 Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
Bummer! I was really hoping that most bison was grass finished, not grain finished.
Yeah, I was disappointed to learn the local bison I buy isn't totally grassfed, but it's still a lot better than regular old supermarket ground beef! I buy it when I can't afford the more expensive grassfed ground beef.
#8 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 AM

You can't assume bison is fed any particular way. You have to contact the individual farmer or company that produces the product. For instance, we have a local rancher who raises bison. He only lets them range on chemical-free pasture and never feeds any grains.
I recently bought some Buffalo Guys brand andouille sausage. The package states "Range-raised without antibiotics, no added hormones". I called the company and was told that the bison range on chemical-free grass, but are offered corn in the last few weeks of their life to supplement the grazing. They then let me know that not only was the corn not organic, but they couldn't fine non-GMO corn to feed the bison. You have to contact the individual rancher or production company.
#9 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 02:12 AM

Honestly, most beef is 'grass fed' for most of its life too. Its just those last few months where they're crammed into feedlots and fed lots of grain w/o a lot of movement that makes them fat. And sick. So.... doesn't sound any bit better to me than your average steak/hamburger from the grocery store...
#10 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Moneca...i just visited an old thread you started, concerning the nutritional yeast. I noticed your concern about low dosage of the b vitamins. All i can tell you is,  i have taken Nutrilite B vitamins for years and theirs is super low dose...i mean, rock bottom low. But they work really well, as do the Frontier flakes. I guess you could say, the high dose B's have to be synthetic, and the body recognizes the real product more if it's properly manufactured. Bioavailable, is that the term? Not saying there isn't a use for the synthetic for therapeutic purposes, short term. :) I am not advertising for either company. I am not a member of either!

#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM

Agreed, you have to ask. Also, if it is grain finished, the chemical composition of the meat changes rapidly to be the same as any grain fed animal. Omega 3's espec diminish rapidly in the meat if it the animal is fed any grain at all.

On the other hand, if you can find a farmer's market that sells Bison you might get extra lucky as we have done. Not only is it 100% grassfed, but Bison/Buffalo are considered "exotic" meat and not governed the same way as beef by the USDA. For this reason the farmers can "field drop" them. In other words, the animal goes from happy to dead instantly without a long stressful truck ride to a horrid slaughter house. As someone who leans towards vegetarianism for ethical reasons, I am totally sold on Bison now for this reason!!

User Tag List