Fermented & Probiotic Foods List - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still learning here, and need all the TF education I can get!

I know that fermented veggies and dairy products are for the probiotics/enzymes. But recently I was made aware that there are other foods too, like sourdough bread--right? (or is that a whole other thing and I'm really clueless? ). Does soaked and sprouted grain or dough or batter have any part in this? (I know about the phytic acid issue and digestibility, just wondering if there were enzyme benefits too).

Can anyone start a list here of all the types of things that would fall into the category of fermented or probiotic foods?

I like pickles and sauerkraut, but other than that, I really can't stand fermented vegetables. I do love yogurt. I was reading that you should have at least a bite of ferment with each meal? So I'm hoping to have some more options to choose from.

Thanks!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about water kefir or kombucha to drink with your main meal if you don't like pickles? Or making lacto fermented ketchup, chutney or mayonaise? There are lots of side dishes you can include yogurt in, or you could make a salad dressing with buttermilk in it for bacteria.
I think cooked fermented foods probably don't have much in the way of enzyme activity or probiotic content but they do have lactic acid which is supposed to stimulate digestion and be good for you.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#3 of 6 Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM

fermented grains and other fermented foods that are cooked after fermenting don't have enzyme or pro-biotic content, however they are more digestible (not just the phytic acid). Fermentation starts to break down the food, so it's easier to digest, it's sort of "pre-digested" (though I know that sounds gross). all fermented foods are easier to digest for that reason.

in terms of pro-biotic foods, I definitely don't eat them with every meal, I try to shoot for some every day (but don't always make that). That said, a little yogurt or buttermilk (I love a spoonful or two of buttermilk in a smoothie. it makes it just a smidge sour and adds pro-biotics) in the morning. pickles and sourkraut. have you tried fermented carrots? kefir and other fermented dairy products for sure. cheese has live cultures (or at least a lot does). yogurt cream/yogurt cheese goes with tons of stuff.

real mayo, salsa with pineapple or mango (if it's not pasturized), etc have enzymes though not pro-biotics. if you put whey or yogurt in the mayo it has pro biotics.

you can use lf pickle brine for salad dressing. some miso is lf with pro-biotics I think

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 6 Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for clearing that up. Bummer on the soaked grains (re: cooking killing the enzymes).
I cannot stand fermented carrots (blech!) or kimchi.

I do adore yogurt though, and have a bowl most days. Sometimes it's homemade.

I think I'll makes some fermented salsa and condiments!
http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/08/0...rmented-salsa/

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 AM

#6 of 6 Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Fermented salsa is a good idea. Use it to make guacamole, spread it on wraps, in omelets, etc.

I don't care for the ginger carrots either but here's what I did to get around that - I ferment the carrots without any seasoning so as to change their flavor as little as possible. To use them, I chop them up pretty fine, smaller than diced but not totally minced, and throw them in with stuff - green salad works fine, it's very good in coleslaw or umeboshi-style slaw. You don't taste them when there's another assertive flavor in the dish.

Make your own salad dressing & use raw vinegar & fermented garlic - tastes no different from normal vinegar/oil dressings, you control the flavors/seasonings, and it makes whatever you pour it on a probiotic food!

Drain yogurt to make a soft cheese, stir in a bunch of fresh minced chives, dill and black pepper to make a ranch dip. Use that on fresh veggies, sandwiches, crackers...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page