Do your kids take cod liver oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And how do you swing that?

Also, any recommendations for a good brand or source? Low mercury and all that.

I'd really like to start on this myself and of course if it's possible for my kids to take it that would rule.

Thanks!

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#2 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 PM

I've been giving my 2 year old daughter a tsp. a day of "Garden of Life's" CLO since she was 6 months old. She loves it!
#3 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
I've been giving my 2 year old daughter a tsp. a day of "Garden of Life's" CLO since she was 6 months old. She loves it!
Oh, and I just give it to her straight from the measuring spoon... And yes, I take it myself as well, but I do a full Tbsp.
#4 of 26 Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM

My son takes Twinlab cherry flavored cod liver oil. I'd rather him take fermented clo, but the taste is just too strong. He takes the oil (1/2-1 t) in a small glass of orange or tart cherry juice. My husband sometimes puts it in his smoothie, which he seems to like okay, but I think it makes the smoothie taste a little weird.

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#5 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM

My kids take fermented cinnamon tingle CLO. They take it right from the syringe and love it, lol! They also love the gummy fish too. I sing a silly song by Woody Guthrie (I want my cod liver oil and I want it now!). I take it the same way, but have to chase it w/ some milk.

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#6 of 26 Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM

My 3.5 year old DS has been taking 1-2 capsules (cut open and squeezed onto a spoon) of unflavored Green Pastures Fermented CLO/BO since he was 9 months old. (Okay, fermented wasn't available then, but it was regular CLO/BO then, fermented once available.)

At first he didn't mind it at all. Then around 2 he started making faces or resisting, but we told him it was his "strengthening medicine" like Roo takes (he's a Pooh lover) and he'd always give in. Now at 3.5 he takes it no problem, though I can tell he doesn't like it too much.
#7 of 26 Old 09-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Before she could talk my little onewould take the fermented CLO from the syringe no problem, I even thought she liked it.
But once she has been able to really express herself she hasn't been having it, but I got her Nordic NAturals in peach and thought we would try it. I put it in a little lemonade (which she LOVES) and it happens. I follow it with (oh so exciting) gummy vitamins as an extra incentive. It works.
I take it, too, from the spoon and chase with lemonade or OJ.
#8 of 26 Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

no clue what brand we get (dh handles that), but it's fermented. DS (2) *loves* it and asks for it specifically. he also asks for kefir and whatever else is fermented (kim chee or sauerkraut).

he's a crazy kid, though.
#9 of 26 Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM

I asked on here a while back what flavor was most liked....and it was the cinnamon, so that is what we have. 16mo DS likes it. We get the Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil in cinnamon tingle - many companies have changed how they source CLO, and some is synthetic. But fermented CLO is not.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 26 Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

3y.o. and 6 y.o. both take fermented orange

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#11 of 26 Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
no clue what brand we get (dh handles that), but it's fermented. DS (2) *loves* it and asks for it specifically. he also asks for kefir and whatever else is fermented (kim chee or sauerkraut).

he's a crazy kid, though.
Yeah, Q is like that too. Started sucking on Bubbie's pickles at 6 months. Drinks plain goat kefir (though he prefers a little maple syrup) and eats fermented veggies. He's given up on sardines, though Used to eat 'em with gusto!
#12 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM

My kids and I take Nature's Harmony cherry flavoured Norwegian Cod Liver Oil. They take it right off the spoon, and chase it with a gulp of orange juice. I find it you drink orange juice with it, it rinses the flavour right away.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#13 of 26 Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 PM

My kids and I take the fermented in orange flavor. I don't think there's much orange flavor to it, lol, but maybe it would be even worse plain? The kids take it alright. Giving it to them when they have just brushed and have the strong taste of toothpaste in their mouth seems to help, they chase it with water right away. The water is a must with the fermented oil as it can sting a bit going down, definitely skip it if there's a sore throat. (maybe use the nonfermented temporarily in that case.)
#14 of 26 Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM

We take blue ice fermented, unflavored and suck on a little sea salt with it (since I think they discontinued the salty cod flavor). we tried lots of flavors and, honestly, we're MUCH happier NOT trying to hide the flavor. We all like fish anyway and salt and fish just "go together" for us. It's over quick.

The syringe thing kept getting clogged (b/c I never washed it ) so now we just take it off a spoon. DS2 (5yo) and I like that best and DS1 (7yo) prefers the super cinnamon-y gummy fish. DH has yet to be convinced to try any after trying a few flavors a few years ago.

Oh, and I found in the past when using a chaser drink that acidic things (kombucha and I guess oj, etc) cleaned out the palate faster for us than milk.
#15 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM

I was just searching and found this post, but wanted to ask... we have Green Pastures FCLO and I have been wanting to give it to DD (9 months old), but am worried since I heard that they don't have an outside company test their oil for mercury etc. Does it make you nervous that there might be mercury in it? (Or maybe that information is incorrect?)

Thanks for the insight!
#16 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM

I make a morning juice concoction for my sons which is either water kefir or milk kefir with a complimentary juice and then I put a few drops of FCLO in the cup and they don't seem to notice. DS2 used to take it off the spoon, but then stopped liking it/being so naive and rejected it that way. They aren't getting a full "dose" but it's better than nothing!

I take mine in a shot glass with OJ and usually chase it another shot of OJ.
#17 of 26 Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 PM

We use Nordic Naturals. I work for an Integrative Medicine practice and we use that brand because it is so pure. My older kids prefer the capsules but our 17 month old love the liquid.
#18 of 26 Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM

So is Nordic Naturals tested regularly? Do you know where I could find that information?
#19 of 26 Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 PM

We use the Carlson's lemon flavored and my two year old loves it so much she wants to lick the spoon afterward. It isn't the best CLO because it isn't fermented but the WAPF says it is good enough. I have a severe gag reflex and I still gag after taking the oil because of the texture but everyone is right, it is over pretty quickly.

crochetsmilie.gifWife to wonderful DH (8/04) and SAHM to DD1 (4/08) and DD2 rainbow1284.gif (7/13)

#20 of 26 Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Ditto on the Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil or Nordic natural strawberry. I prefer the carlson's for taste though! My 3 year old daughter takes it straight.
#21 of 26 Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Check out Winston Price website. They give suggestions about what brands to use for CLO. I've heard bad things about Nordic Naturals. It doesn't have hardly any Vitamin D (a big reason why we're taking CLO since we don't drink fortified milk) because of the process used to purify it. I don't know much though so I would do some research first. We still have 2 bottles of Nordic Naturals and we're having DS finish it but once it's gone we won't buy it again. Check out Kelly the Kitchen Kop blog. She has GREAT CLO info and advice.

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#22 of 26 Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM

haha. Last night I was handing out gummi multi-vits to the kids, and DH says, be glad you live noawdays and have good tasting vitamins. Back in the day, they had to take cod liver oil for vitamins. Which got the eewwwww from them. And I say, it's not so bad, I have some FCLO if you want it... and get eww eww eww eww from them. So yeah, no, my kids don't have any interest in it. Well occassionally our youngest will have a squirt of it. That's the best I can do.

signature currently in transition
#23 of 26 Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 AM

How much of the fermented do you all give your kids, at what age/weight?

Is Blue Ice the only one now?
#24 of 26 Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM

My kids take the cinnamon tingle FCLO. I got them the gummy fish, but they won't eat them. I tried them and the flavor isn't too bad, but the texture is really awful. So when presented with the choice, they both chose the liquid (they're 3 and 5) They each get 1/2 tsp. WAPF website reccomends 1/2 tsp for kids age 3-12, and 1 tsp for kids 12+ and adults, and 2 tsp for pregnant and nursing women. I haven't been giving any to my dd, who is 9 months. I figure she gets so much good stuff from breastmilk it's kind of redundent, plus it's really expensive.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#25 of 26 Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM

DD will only take it if she is sick. I tell her it will help her get well, and she agrees to take it. I know I should be trying to get her to take it all the time to prevent illnesses, but no luck so far. I stopped taking it in the pukey phase of this pregnancy, but I have started again, so maybe she will pick it up too.

We use Blue Ice FCLO, I think mediterranean and salty cod and unflavored (?). We bought a case once when it was on sale for cheap, and it has last us a long time.
#26 of 26 Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Is Blue Ice the only one now?

This is Sally's response from the WAPF site:
"We have consistently pointed out that the vitamins in all but one brand of cod liver oil are synthetic. Only the fermented cod liver oil made in the United States contains the original natural vitamins. Every other brand of cod liver oil is definitely a compromise. But since many people cannot obtain or cannot afford the fermented cod liver oil, we recommend in the 'good' category (rather than the 'best' category), cod liver oil to which synthetic vitamins A and D have been added in the right proportions."

The FCLO she is talking about is Blue Ice. The WAPF recommendations are here: http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-live...il-basics.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page