Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in September!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 189 Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laughing at my ridiculous droid post ...

Here's some info on gout - follow the links for lots of info. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...highlight=gout
#62 of 189 Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Also, what do you all feed your babies that is primal style?
She hasn't ever had grains (I have gotten chastised for this a lot from people) but totally eats a lot of paper LOL! or anything she can get her hands on! But seriously her diet consists of boob milk, same smoothie I have, egg yolk on occasion, poi and coconut milk, dubliner cheese, avocado, blended carrots, squash, sweet potato (all with bone broth). I feel she needs more meat, but have no idea how to prepare it!
Also, good finger foods... all her buddies are getting cookies, cheerios and baby mum mums. Dunno what to do for her. She gets nothing and all the moms look at me like I am so crazy and tell me I am depriving her! AH!
#63 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 AM

Haven't read this months thread, but wanted to subscribe for september.

Had my baby 9/4. By the time he was born, 41weeks 2days, I had gone over my weight gain goal (goal= 40lb, actual= 41lb). But I'm happy, it's still over 20lbs less than I gained in previous pregnancies. I am recovering faster too. I don't feel that my grainfree/lowcarb diet effected the baby's weight. He weighed in at 9lb .5oz (my others were 9lb 7oz and 8lb 13oz). He is a very mellow baby, and sleeps for 4-6 hour stretches. My other babies were strong and alert, but he seems a little more so. And just cause I can't help but want to show him off, here's some pictures: one hour old and then 5 hours old

I have been eating some more grains since he was born, but not too many. I've been managing atleast 1 grain free meal per day. I'm not worrying about it right now. In a couple weeks I may, but for now as long as I don't go grain/sugar crazy I'm happy. I need to send DH grocery shopping for some grainfree/lowcarb foods that don't require much prep or cooking for me to eat during the day.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#64 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

AHHHHHHHH!!!! CONGRATS Vaquitita!!! He is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

So exciting!!!!! Enjoy your babymoon!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#65 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
So finally back on MDC after a 9 month hiatus after having my baby girl! So glad to see this thread! Been grain-free (with some slips) since my daughter was born. I am still nursing though and seem to have no energy! What is up!? Because I have no energy, I don't exercise... and how does one exercise anyway with a 9 month old?

Also, after reading through this thread, I found it interesting that most people seem to crave the carbs at night... I definitely crave them in the morning... like if I eat eggs and avocado and cheese for breakfast, I need a date afterward to feel satiated. And the potatoes thing is weird! I actually stopped eating white potatoes at night a long time ago because they gave me terrible nightmares!! Does that mean I am low on seratonin? I have that book somewhere, now to find time to read it.

Daily menu looks something like this:
Breakfast: Smoothie-coconut milk, chia seeds, banana, avocado, blueberries, green powder, gynostemma, and sometimes yogurt.

Lunch- 2 pieces organic sliced turkey lunch meat (organic prairie), avocado, sprouts, lettuce, dubliner cheese, tomatoes or really whatever we have laying around.

Dinner- Usually a big salad with sausage or other meat.

I have to snack a lot to keep up the energy and that usually consists of coconut bread and peanut butter, nuts, dates, fruit, grain-free baked good etc.

am i eating enough for a nursing mama? where is my energy??

That would NOT be enough meat for me. I also am dairy free so not sure how that impacts all of that. The 2 slices of turkey at lunch would just not hold me over. And if I'm eating breakfast, a smoothie would not do it. I'd need bacon or eggs (if I could tolerate them) or sausage w/ it, or I'd be starving. [ETA: Unless I was IFing. Then I'd probably be ok, as long as I wasn't PMSing When I IF, I'm typically not hungry at all, or minimally so. But if I start eating and all I have is a smoothie--watch out--I'm ravenous!]

FWIW, I'm nursing my 3yo, although I'd think the toll of nursing a 9 mo who gets most of her nutrition from you would be even greater.

This is just what works for me though--I do better w/ lots of meat and veg. and some added fat in the form of ghee and some coconut milk, along w/ some nuts/fruit. I'm dealing w/ food sensitivities too though, which limits me (dairy, eggs...).

Not sure if any of this is helpful! I hope you figure it out though!

One other thought. Are you supping w/ a multi or anything else? B vitamins are really important for me in terms of energy, along w/ mag and zinc just in general. I work on getting them from foods (liver and other stuff) but I do supp as well and feel better supping atm. Not perfect TF, but I do what I need to do to make myself feel great. I like Thorne Basic Nutrients III multi personally, just fyi--really absorbable forms of the vites, including the Bs. And fish oil. And magnesium chloride oil for my mag needs (topically.) And lots of probiotic foods... And I've been taking an organ blend supp on and off--alternating w/ frozen liver pills. It's a lot of 'supps', but I feel sooooo much better w/ them...And that is more important to me than being 100% tf...

These are factors I think a lot of folks forget about in terms of primal living. Unless you are eating lots of organ meats, I think supping can be a really important part of this--be they whole foods or synthetic--we each need to figure out what works for us...

HTH!! And welcome back!

I traditional foods
#66 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Vaquitta- Many congrats!!!! Enjoy your babymoon! The baby is ADORABLE!!!!

stilllearning- I am with FR- you have no energy as you are not eating enough!!!! More meat!!! I think it is too much sugar as well. I would try to drop that smoothie and see how your energy does. Perhaps do some eggs and bacon/sausage w/ a bit of fruit for breakfast then maybe save that smoothie for an afternoon snack. I have a 9 mo baby girl as well! She eats little bits of what we are having. Bananas, avocados, sweet pots, green beans, broccoli- well cooked roast or chicken or ground beef, egg yolks- need to do some liver! No one chastises me on what to feed her, they have given up on me

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#67 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM

FR- I don't know about the dairy- seems we are having lots of poop accidents these days. I ran out after a week though and haven't bought anymore. Ran out of grassfed butter last week. I don't know what is going on- tired of figuring it out.

Not sure how the baby did w/ it either. Seemed ok, maybe. She was a bit fussy last week but what do you know I found her first tooth Sat and now her mood is so much better. Looks she is popping another one as well.

Oh, and stilllearning look at MDA for exercise info. I exercise a lot w/ the kids. Lots of walks- w/ the ERgo or stroller- baby down on the ground or in dady's hands for sprints(which take like 10 min). I just bought a bike trailer for the bike and she likes riding in there- I just tank her up and put her in. Weight lifting/bodyweight sessions are generally short- longer workouts are with her like the walking/biking/hiking.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#68 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
stilllearning, i'm wondering (just from looking at the one menu you posted, so I could be wrong) if you're getting enough iron. If it were me, I'd be tempted to add beef into my diet maybe once a day for a couple weeks and see if that makes a difference...

And looking at it again, I'm wondering if you're getting enough protein in general, honestly. I was about 40lbs overweight when I was nursing my daughter so I guess you could take that into consideration, but that wouldn't have been enough for me.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#69 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I think it is too much sugar as well. I would try to drop that smoothie and see how your energy does.
I've been experimenting w/ lowering my fruit intake, and am feeling just better. I don't even know how to describe it. Carb cravings much lowered, less hunger/cravings in general (but hungry enough to eat lots of good stuff at meals) and just feeling more *even*. Can't describe it well enough. But I had been eating _a lot_ of fruit, so this is a significant difference for me. (The past few days I've had 0-1 small piece a day. A really big change.) I'm playing around w/ the idea of trying out ketosis, while still eating LOTS of nonstarchy veggies. We'll see. It's seeming a lot simpler/easier atm.

I traditional foods
#70 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Congratulations Vaquitita!! He's adoreable and for the weight gain, thats great!

Stilllearning85, you might want to also increase your salt. More food overall, more protein, more fat, more potassium, less sugar. For me, I had very little energy after a couple months of Primal until it was pointed out that I was eating way too much sugar and carbs. I increased my salt, nixed the sugar and my energy levels came up again. Since you're nursing, definitely eat more food. I also found that adding vegetables to my breakfast satiated me more than just eggs and bacon.
Food for baby...well, sliced fruit, chopped up meat, cheese, avocado. You could always take cheese strings for baby to eat when you are out. Peel and serve I really like the babybel cheeses for the snacking too.
Though really, its hard to have energy without sleep. Don't know how thats going for you, but if you aren't getting a whole lot then your energy levels aren't going to be all that great.

As for me, I'm not doing the challenge this month. I didn't do well on my personal challenge last month either. Life has thrown us a curveball too big to dodge. I haven't given up on eating primally but I can't afford to be picky either We have no money to speak of atm, we had to go to the food bank yesterday just to get by. To those of you who can afford to donate, please do so! I am utterly grateful for the food bank, as they were incredibly generous to us. As grateful as I am, I was saddened by the amount of processed food we were given. I ended up a mega bag of chocolate chips and Dairy Queen ice cream cake! Not to mention all the pasta, rice, bread, pancake mix...the kids are happy though. The things that gave me the most joy was the 3 dozen eggs, a bag of crabapples and some frozen meat. They are desperate need of vegetables there. If we ever get back on our feet( ) I'm going to start donating bags of frozen vegetables straight to the bank.

On the lighter side, my baby is pretty much potty trained! Thats a huge weight off my shoulders.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#71 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Life has thrown us a curveball too big to dodge. I haven't given up on eating primally but I can't afford to be picky either We have no money to speak of atm, we had to go to the food bank yesterday just to get by.
Do you recieve food stamps? If not, I'd look into applying. They sometimes have 'emergency' options so you can get them sooner. They can make all the difference in the world when you are in need of them. WIC can be helpful as well if you are able to eat some/all of the food...

Good luck! Thinking of you...

I traditional foods
#72 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Do you recieve food stamps? If not, I'd look into applying. They sometimes have 'emergency' options so you can get them sooner. They can make all the difference in the world when you are in need of them. WIC can be helpful as well if you are able to eat some/all of the food...

Good luck! Thinking of you...
I'm in Canada, no WIC here. We will be applying for emergency funding, if we can scrounge up enough money to get to nearest office. My dh hurt his back, yet again. We have no extra health care coverage to pay for chiropractic services which is what the doctors are suggesting. I am getting unemployment as of last week, but I don't get paid again until next week...aarghhh...so many plans just shot out of the sky.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#73 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
I'm in Canada, no WIC here. We will be applying for emergency funding, if we can scrounge up enough money to get to nearest office. My dh hurt his back, yet again. We have no extra health care coverage to pay for chiropractic services which is what the doctors are suggesting. I am getting unemployment as of last week, but I don't get paid again until next week...aarghhh...so many plans just shot out of the sky.
I'm sending your way!

I traditional foods
#74 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s to you neverdoingitagain.

Reaffirming the whole paleo thing tomorrow- even though I have to be at work at six, I'm not allowing myself my usual latte, and I'm putting the remaining bagel in the freezer. Getting serious again will be good.

I'm back to yoga as of last week and I feel amazing. I want to run a 5K on Thanksgiving, so I need to get my butt in gear.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#75 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Just checking in quick...Still have nausea here at 11 weeks and found out that eating protein in the morning keeps me from throwing up later. Hopefully I will start to feel better next week or so. (Please God!) I cannot wait to get back to primal and cooking again....I reallllly want some homemade broth stew, which was my favorite food last pregnancy too.

Something wonderful is that my best friend came over last night and made me a rare steak and crudites and then cleaned my kitchen

Congrats Vanquitita!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#76 of 189 Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
She hasn't ever had grains (I have gotten chastised for this a lot from people) but totally eats a lot of paper LOL! or anything she can get her hands on! But seriously her diet consists of boob milk, same smoothie I have, egg yolk on occasion, poi and coconut milk, dubliner cheese, avocado, blended carrots, squash, sweet potato (all with bone broth). I feel she needs more meat, but have no idea how to prepare it!
Also, good finger foods... all her buddies are getting cookies, cheerios and baby mum mums. Dunno what to do for her. She gets nothing and all the moms look at me like I am so crazy and tell me I am depriving her! AH!
my daughter is almost 2 now, but under 1 she ate few grains really, instead she ate; many types of cheese (loves intense creamy blues and triple cream brie), fried potatoes, bacon (one of her top 5 favorite foods still), frozen wild blueberries, plain full fat fage greek or goat yogurt, really dark chocolate (i like 77% or more so she got this too), coconut milk cream, almond butter, butter, freeze-dried banana chips, leftover soft meat such as duck confit or pot roast. occaisionally she sucked on a nut thin cracker spead with butter.
#77 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Congrats Vaquitta!! Such a cutie!

neverdoingitagain and send lots of to get through this.

Ugh trying to get over a stomach bug or flu here - had chills, fever, upset tummy, upset gi system the works... had homemade broth which didn't last.

finally ate 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon slowly and that stayed down. This morning I feel like the same again. Hopefully I'll be able to keep some broth down today

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#78 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Congrats Vaquitita!!!

Thanks for all the tips! baby cries... be back later!
#79 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 PM

So, made a meatloaf and bought a bunch of veggies! Will start getting more meat and veggies in and see if my energy levels increase. I also made some bar-b-que type sauce to eat with eggs and the like and some taco seasoning to have handy for meats! I don't know how I am going to give up my smoothies in the morning cause they are all that sound good to me. Eggs sound ok for lunch, but not breakfast...I did add more avocado and less banana and blueberries to the smoothie, so hopefully that helps a bit! Will let you know how I do!
#80 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM

ktg- sorry you have been sick- take it slow and easy!!!

neverdoingitagain- s I hope you guys pass through this rough time quickly!

stilllearning- good luck w/ the changes!!! I hope you find what works for you. I think I would try to IF and maybe do an early lunch if nothing else sounds good- just a thought.

had a bit of rice last night and today, trying to save a bit of money w/ meals. I did keep the portion very small(less than 1/2 cup). However, my belly is bloated now I should know better. Had some strawberry smoothie this afternoon as well. Should know better than that as well. My head felt totally swirly and crazy. I should listen to myself.

I ate too much this sugar at the fam reunion this weekend so I have been rebounding all week. Which probably didn't help me fight off this cold I have been fighting this week!

Tomorrow is another day!!

#81 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
stilllearning- good luck w/ the changes!!! I hope you find what works for you. I think I would try to IF and maybe do an early lunch if nothing else sounds good- just a thought.
Thanks! Is it ok to IF while BFing? I am always hungry in the morning but for something light and... sweet. Hmmm... maybe bacon will help. It helps everything!
#82 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

So, I'm shocked! I've recently cut back on fruit quite a bit, and basically been eating a lot of non-starchy veggies and meat, IFing a lot (daily), and feeling good. Tonight I got my period--no warning, no binge eating, it just came. I've been feeling a little more irritable for the past couple of days but nothing too crazy, and I am realllly tired tonight and couldn't figure out why until I got it.

I think it must be letting up on the fruit (and in part, much of my carbs)--typically I would have *known* it was coming, been much more hungry (I'm usually ravenous and cannot IF, at all, at this time of the month), and just would have usually been going carb crazy. What's going on?? I'm wondering if its the lower carbs making my typical carb craziness pre-period, and my appetite, be much lessened. It's wild! My period is also a/b 5 days early.

So, I'm just a bit stumped and totally fascinated! I'll be watching how I feel over my period, and be interested in what happens int the ones to come, esp if I keep lower carb/low fructose. Crazy stuff!

I traditional foods
#83 of 189 Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Amazing! I hope when I get mine it comes as easily! Used to be terrible... will see!
#84 of 189 Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Amazing! I hope when I get mine it comes as easily! Used to be terrible... will see!
Stilllearning, in general, on a primal/paleo-ish diet, my PMS has been pretty intense, and I've noticed a huge surge in appetite at this time of the month (even in comparison to my old non-primal diet). I tend to stick to the higher carb range--100-150 g carbs a day, but have just this week been eating a lot lower than that by cutting back on fruit. So I think it's possibly related. *But* it could also be a fluke.

Just don't be discouraged if your period/PMS cravings/hunger etc are heightened when eating primally--that has totally been the case for me (you can even see it in the past few threads, I've tried to keep a record of some sort of all of it here). IDK what's going on, but I'm really really suprised and interested! (I've been grain free for a/b 10 months, ftmp, and have noticed that my periods/PMS for the majority of this time have been marked by cravings and a ravenous appetite. I think NOT feeding the ravenous appetite enough good primal food is what leads to the cravings during this part of my cycle in general. But I'm really so surprised to have gotten it this time w/ so little warning, as it has been so obvious to me when its coming for many months now. I do think there is probably a carb/sugar connection. It's all just really fascinating to me...)

I traditional foods
#85 of 189 Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

stilllearning- I have done some IF w/ bf'ing for a good while and not noticed any ill effects. I don't push it real far. Like obviously if you are feeling shaky or lightheaded then you need to eat. But a few grumbles I think it is worth it to push through sometimes and see how your body does. I also found that a lot of times I would get hungry at a certain time but if I was busy in that time then my hunger would pass on it's own. I think the bacon is a good idea as well and maybe try it on a day you are busy or out of the house. It is a lot easier to think about food(for me anyway) when I am home w/ food readily available.

anyway, just a few thoughts. still bloated this am. But I am slowly losing the couple of pounds I put on from my carb splurge this last weekend. If I could keep off the fruit and carbs it would go away sooner! I was up 3 pds, now about 1.5 lbs.

Good workout last night. Hope to workout today doing something, but it is raining cats and dogs so nothing outside.

FR awesome news about the period. I hope it is a good sign for you. I haven't had a PP period yet and hope it is a while still!

#86 of 189 Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 PM

crap. crap. crap. I should know better, but I ate out at lunch and dinner tonight and ate some grain at both...I feel horrible.

I'm actually glad b/c, sadly, I seem to need this negative reinforcement sometimes. sheesh.

On the other hand, I have been doing some shovelglove workouts and I love them. They are hard, but the moves are functional (I can use my imagination) and they are over fast. I love his reasoning behind only doing 14 minutes! I am sore (in the good way) in new areas (arms, but hello all over my back, abs, and inner thighs!). Here's a woman doing some.

My personality is such that I need/like to master one kind of thing at a time so I don't get overwhelmed. Eventually, I'd like to alternate other types of workouts (like the arm weights I was doing) and shovelglove and then add in sprints and long walks.

(hopefully I won't feel like a slug still in the morning when I "shug" [which, from what I can tell, is shorthand for the act of preforming shovelglove workouts ])
#87 of 189 Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 AM

thanks for the link FEb2003- I have seen the shovelglove mentioned but never tried it. I know we have a sledgehammer already in the shed as well, will have to check it's wait and hopefully it stops raining!

#88 of 189 Old 09-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
thanks for the link FEb2003- I have seen the shovelglove mentioned but never tried it. I know we have a sledgehammer already in the shed as well, will have to check it's wait and hopefully it stops raining!
Here's another great (shovelglove) website! (Timothy is on MDA and has made up a whole bunch of moves...his website had gads of great pictures and explanations, too.)

I am 5'4" and about 145# and I use a 6# hammer and DH is ~4'6" and about 145# and uses an 8# hammer. At this point, we're doing any moves that feel hard (but we're careful with our backs) and just going for a solid 14 minutes.

I *do* still feel like a slug this morning after the poor food choices I made yesterday. blah.
#89 of 189 Old 09-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Well, I'm back to the paleo board! I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant and feeling the nausea set in. It seems though if I stay away from grains and load up on protein, I feel much better. It's so hard when you get those insatiable pregnancy cravings, so I have been eating chebe bread (tapioca starch) and it's helping curb the cravings for a big loaf of gluten free bread. This morning I wanted nothing but a slice of Udi's bread with some cinnamon and butter, but I know if I do that I'll probably throw up, so I made a loaf of chebe foccacia and made myself a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It tastes so good! Anyway, I'll be on here a lot over the next 7-8 months for support!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#90 of 189 Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I used to feed DS avocado, all kinds of fruit, yogurt, mashed beans, almond flour crackers (these were great for out and about), raisins, I did give DS gluten free cheerios on occasion, but not very often.um..Well, he can't have dairy either, so that limited me a lot. How old is your baby? You could make some soaked garbanzo hummus. I don't know about feeding a baby completely primal, I'm thinking she might be missing out on nutrients if you were to feed her the same way you feed yourself, but the again I didn't go primal until my DS was 16 months old, so he was able to eat a lot more variety at that age.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page