Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in September!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
As this life style of eating is allowing me to loose weight, how does it work with children who are growing. Do I just up their healthy fat intake? I already cook with lard, coconut oil, olive oil and the likes. Can someone explain how they feed their kids primal, and cost effectively?
Well, I can't really talk to the cost effectiveness (we took out sourdough and crackers which I was buying and then we also took out raw dairy - not for primal...for another issue, but the changes for us were all at the same time and I haven't teased out the different things).

BUT

I can say that both my boys are on the small side, ds1 much more so. His amounts of protein and veg stayed the same for about two grain-free meals and then his appetite took over! It now amazes me how much protein and veg the boys will eat!! They both grew a LOT over the summer (grain free all summer). They are taking in more "grow food" without all the fillers so I can't imagine that would be "bad" for them.

We (adults) are loosing weight b/c we are teaching our bodies how to burn fat as fuel, but their bodies don't need much convincing. I think they will be healthy and lean...the place everyone will end up if they eat primal and stay active. Their brains and immune system will get exactly what they need to be healthy and they will have plenty of protein to build muscle. I don't expect that they will "pack on" much "padding" in the form of fat, but I don't think they should. We have plenty of access to food and they won't need lots of stored fat for "times of famine". Also, I limit my carbs (as in my fruit and no starchy veg), but they eat as much as they want/we have.

I do find that the increase in their appetite is more expensive b/c they can eat up to a 1/2 pound of meat each (!) (they are 5 and 7 and small), but I figure as long as they are balancing it with a wide spectrum of veg and fruit it's healthy to let them eat to satiation. I am balancing the steaks with less expensive cuts and I buy from a farm so there isn't any mark up on things.

HTH!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 AM

Hi everybody,
I have a question. I've been *trying* to go grain-free recently and increase my protein/good fat intake, which has done wonders for my energy.

BUT I just can't give up my oatmeal because every time I do I get constipated. I was eating it every day for breakfast, so now I just eat it every other day and on alternate days eat eggs or vegetables and leftover meat. My goal is to reduce the oatmeal until I'm not eating it at all, but I don't seem to be getting there?

How long does it take to transition? Should I be taking it even slower? Does the body get used to a certain amount of fibre and how to you get it used to less?

Lots of questions, I know
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM

I don't think the weight is a concern w/ kids either especially when allowed free range on amounts. I think it means they will just fall at the weight they are supposed to be. Lots of milk and carbs of course promote more growth but that is not necessarily a good thing. The kids are growing better now than previous, now that gluten is not in their diet. We are not 100% grainfree w/ the kids though.

re: constipation- Have you looked at fat levels- tried making sure you are getting a few Tbs a day or so?

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I don't think the weight is a concern w/ kids either especially when allowed free range on amounts. I think it means they will just fall at the weight they are supposed to be.
I completely agree. My ds has always been 'big' for his age though, so its never been a real concern of mine. (Although he is really just tall and thin, but his father and grandpa are both built like that--I think its more genetic than anything else. *I'm* tall but was not overly thin as a child--I think I'm more prone to metabolic imbalance issues than the rest of my fam--my mom always said I seemed to stay chubby as a child, even eating 'like a bird'...I now think I was just eating the wrong foods for my body...prob why I like grain free so much--never been this thin in my life! )

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 09-16-2010, 11:48 AM

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM

well, I think they could have a very healthy relationship with food at 100% primal IF grains weren't available (like grok's kids, I guess), but they are so maybe just make/offer primal foods at home and not worry elsewhere? Do you think they'd be 50% primal? 60%? 80%? It's all up to how you live.

I don't think you necessarily have to tell them that you are avoiding a certain thing...just have delicious, fresh, primal food available! To me, primal food is so obviously *real*. We concentrate on the distinction between *real* food having the most to offer us and then the more and more it's processed, the less it offers our bodies...then, of course, there are some things that never even start out as real so we either completely avoid them OR let the kids try them with more of a "super sleuth" or "chemist," etc attitude...knowing that they might even harm us if we ate them a lot.

Even bread...what about talking with them about their poop and how their bodies obviously don't want much of X food so let's take care of ourselves by *mostly* filling up on things we need, etc. ??

And I agree that "healthy" for kids has shifted as most of the population is so far from it. My 7yo may only weigh about 45#, but he can do monkey bars (even really LONG sets with curves, etc.), he can do crazy funny waves with his ab muscles, he hops and skips and jumps, etc. so I know he's strong. Also, his hair and nails grow like crazy and his eyes and skin are clear and glowing. Even though he's fair, he doesn't burn easily despite lots of outdoor time (often on 100% of his body ). I'm ok "measuring" his health in these subjective ways and letting go of charts, graphs, etc. that a doc might want to use to compare him to the general population. I've let go of a lot of things on my journey, but each of us is in a different place so go with what's comfortable for you.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those of you whose kids are eating primal or grain-free, what would a sample day of what they're eating look like?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 AM

Ok, so this is a bit off topic, but could some one give me a brief overall summary of why grain-free is better? I have been getting that question a lot lately and I just draw a blank. Makes me feel really dumb, especially at the momma/baby groups. I have read a lot about it and know that it probably is better, but have no brief summary to give people when they ask.
Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM

re: grain free sample day:
bfast: eggs and bacon w/ fruit
snack: figs and pecans
lunch: salmon patties w/ carrots
supper: roast chicken, green beans
snack: dark chocolate w/ pb sometimes coco icecream

re: grainfree better:
Well, grains have antinutrients in them that not only prohibit our absorption of all these supposed great nutrients in them but block our absorption of nutrients from other foods. Besides other foods are more nutrient dense and I think our bodies are designed to run better on "lower" carb diets and eating any amount of grains makes it a higher carb diet. However, I talk about how much better it makes me feel- more energy- better mood- clearer head- no bloating and such.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeK View Post
Hi everybody,
I have a question. I've been *trying* to go grain-free recently and increase my protein/good fat intake, which has done wonders for my energy.

BUT I just can't give up my oatmeal because every time I do I get constipated. I was eating it every day for breakfast, so now I just eat it every other day and on alternate days eat eggs or vegetables and leftover meat. My goal is to reduce the oatmeal until I'm not eating it at all, but I don't seem to be getting there?

How long does it take to transition? Should I be taking it even slower? Does the body get used to a certain amount of fibre and how to you get it used to less?

vegetables, fruit and even nuts have lots of fiber, so i'm not sure why replacing oats with other fibrous foods would affect elimination very much. perhaps it's something else in oats? or maybe a person needs to eat more volume of veg to equal the concentrated fiber in whole grains.

1/2 cup plain oats has 150 calories, 4 grams fiber and 27 grams carbs (and everyone puts a lot of sugar/maple syrup on em which obviously ups the carbs). an entire cup of cooked kale has only 36 calories and almost 3 grams fiber and 7 grams carbs (see-http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=50).
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

This is interesting (and may be helpful on the fiber note AngeK)

Compares the nutritional info, including fiber, of grains and veggies. Pretty neat! http://hbfser.wordpress.com/2010/07/...-talk-numbers/

I traditional foods
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Regarding fiber:

Try a big leafy mixed greens salad daily. That combined with a generous helping of veggies at dinner kept me more than regular. Also, drink plenty of water.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Yes eating more veggies and fruit will fix your problem. One thing I’ve noticed is the fiber in grains/beans require a lot of water to help you be “regular” instead of more constipated. Veggies and fruit have both water and fiber in one package. Way better source in my book. If I eat an apple with breakfast – it does the trick LOL

Rhianna

...who will run away before confessing her horrible eating habits this last week or two. Horrible I tell ya!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Hi All,

I really apologize for coming on the board and crying and whining all the time. I have no Paleo/Primal friends or family in real life so this thread is it.

I desperately need some advice.

I had an appointment with my midwives today. Pee stick looks great, baby is growing and measuring right on target, blood pressure great...I'm feeling a little better (meaning I can actually take my kids out of the house once a week. Still not good, but better.)

Here's my problem. They really wanted me to do a weight check after my second gastrointestinal illness. After being sick twice this pregnancy, losing 12 lbs the first trimester, 10 lbs the second time around a few weeks ago, I have only gained 10 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.

I will not have a milk supply whatsoever if I do not stay over 130 lbs. I am at 130 today. I started at 120 at 5'8" pre-pregnancy.

I just do not know what to do! I have tried eating more sugar (fruit, potatoes) but it spikes my blood sugar so much that I feel like I'm going to die, and this is even when I pair it with fat. I can only eat so much meat and nuts and then I'm satisfied and I don't want to eat more. I tried dairy for a while and that really messed me up. I am at a complete and utter loss and I am sick. and. tired. of dealing with these food/gut issues!!!

My skin is great, my sleep is great, my poops are great. My body loves being full Paleo (meat, veggies, low sugar fruit- ie.berries, nuts and seeds), but I have developed an egg allergy, am sensitive to too much fruit and starches, and I have had two bouts of bad gastrointestinal problems, thus the very poor weight gain. Eating Paleo just doesn't make you that hungry, and I still don't like food too much after throwing it up for weeks on end.

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO RIGHT NOW SO I CAN GET THIS BABY TO A HEALTHY WEIGHT AND MYSELF AS WELL. I cannot imagine not being able to nurse because I'm a walking skeleton.

I am so stressed right now. If you have no advice, that's OK...just keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

But seriously, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I have 8 more weeks and the midwives want at least a pound a week. Should I just pound down the dairy smoothies and deal with the consequences? Should I go TF and add grains back? Should I say the heck with it and get a cheeseburger and fries from some SAD eating place for the sake of getting fat? This is getting to be absolutely ridiculous. Please pardon my hormones...:
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 AM

OK, update.

I was in a total panic after my panic post (see above) and went to a local hamburger place. I ate a cheeseburger with the bun and french fries. Bad idea. Every single joint in my body aches and I feel like I'm going to have an asthma attack. OMG! This is from simply eating gluten! The good thing is the bread made me even more hungry, so I went to Whole Foods and got a Larabar and ate that immediately afterward. I finally had an appetite, but I feel like my fingers are locking up right now just from typing.

This helped me come up with a plan really quickly.

I'm going to make some whey protein smoothies with coconut oil and almond butter, with yogurt or coconut milk and down one of those every day and just deal with the consequences. I'm hoping that this is the lesser of the evils (grains) and that the goal will be met (1 lb a week). The dairy did help me gain weight during my 2nd trimester, it just screwed up my digestion and made me anemic.

I am just totally taken aback by my reaction to wheat! It's been a long time since I've eaten anything like that and my body reacted so quickly in such a negative manner. Very, very interesting.

Other interesting things: Whole Foods has several isles of gluten free products now. It was kind of surreal, like I went into the store and the signs were surrounding me...stay gluten free. I asked a stocker about why there were so many gluten free isles now and he said they have had a huge demand for it recently. It was crazy.

I shouldn't call my mother and tell her anything. She said that this gluten thing is all in my head and I'm making it up. She also told me that a home birth is what non-thinking people do and I should see an OBGYN for better advice about my weight gain and not expect much from my midwives. I quickly ended that conversation.

Going to pray and meditate now. I'm also going to make a list of the positives that are coming from this difficult time. There's always a lesson to be learned, and I need to take a few moments to focus on what I'm being taught.

Thanks for letting me work through this crisis via MDC.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 AM

s! I wish I could help in some concrete way!

I think finding a way to get some more good fat into your diet in a way that causes you the least amount of discomfort sounds like a great idea! I hope the smoothies do the trick!

I can't remember off the top of this tired brain what you can and can't have (besides grain, dairy and eggs?) so I'll brainstorm really quick before falling asleep and hopefully it'll spark some desire

avocados
- with sea salt and spoon
- smashed with onion & garlic (powders if need be), sea salt, lime juice, etc and either eaten with a spoon or dipped into with carrots, etc
- in smoothies/faux ice cream-type concoctions
grilled/broiled meats
- warm or cold, with or without a dipper/sauce (chicken thighs )
cold protein salads
- chicken (a little sweeter with grapes and apples or go in the curry direction...let me know if you want this recipe)
- salmon
- turkey
stock
- warm as a 'tea'
- as a soup (either chunky or blended, hot or cold)
probiotics
- bubbies cucumber pickles
- homemade pickles (carrots, cauliflower, spicy mixed veg, etc)
- kombucha (at levels you are comfy with during pregnancy)
starchy veg (not my forte, but I made mean homefries recently)
- russet (baked, fried/homefried, mashed, etc)
- red (au gratin?, french potato salad...want recipe?)
- sweet potato (savory or sweet flavorings)
'ice cream'
- coconut milk, frozen banana, frozen strawberry (in food processor, just enough CM to blend)...try other flavors...freeze extra as popsicles

I'm sorry your conversation with your mom was so stressful...SO NOT what you needed right now!

I'm sending you good vibes right now (and hoping you're eating, sleeping, or meditating!). Trust yourself!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

suzukiaustin

What about gf grains, like rice (even white/esp white? Some folks w/ gut issues have trouble digesting the whole grain, antinutrient filled stuff...) You asked if it were us, what would we do? If potatoes were not working for me, I might try and add in some gf grains, maybe cooked in bone broth to see how I felt on them. [I just really have it in my mind that eating more carbs is the best/easiest way to gain weight--at least for me ] I wonder if you are just REALLY sensitive to food 'toxins' (I'm thinking of the many things in gluten, antinutrients/phytic acid etc in whole grains, lactose/casein in dairy, saponins/nightshade factors involved in potatoes...) I've read white rice is stripped of that stuff and therefore *less* hard to tolerate than most other grains. It might be something to *try* adding? (I realize its not primal/paleo, but it would probably be something I'd try if I were in your shoes... Again, I'd cook it in bone broth to make it more nutrient dense as well...)

As for the smoothies, what about pea protein powder? Or hemp? (Not sure how nuts/seeds work for you though...) I've read only a little about it, but if dairy really screws w/ you, it might be worth looking into...

Just a couple thoughts! I'm sending your way!!!

I traditional foods
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

So mamas, I was feeling bold this morning and posted my before/after pics on MDA. Someone mentioned this recently here, so I thought I'd share. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...996#post213996

Crazy stuff. Going allergen free/TF made a HUGE difference, but so has going fully primal. Sooooo thrilled I found this WOE!!!

I traditional foods
Old 09-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
So mamas, I was feeling bold this morning and posted my before/after pics on MDA. Someone mentioned this recently here, so I thought I'd share. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...996#post213996

Crazy stuff. Going allergen free/TF made a HUGE difference, but so has going fully primal. Sooooo thrilled I found this WOE!!!
You GO, FairyRae! I'm so proud of you for posting your pics. They are still pending approval so I'll get to practice being patient

I love that Before and After thread on MDA! So much inspiration. IMHO it's in need of more moms way to go!
Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 AM

Hi Again,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the encouraging replies. Your posts were very thoughtful and very helpful. I'm stressing less today!

I was outside quite a bit today and had a great appetite, so I'm holding on to the hope of a brighter tomorrow! I ate a LOT today...everything is going to be fine.

I posted to MDA too under Rainbird2. I got some good replies there as well in case you want to read.

Speaking of MDA, FairyRae, I cannot wait to see your photos! Congratulations to you for feeling confident enough to post. That is awesome!

Someone asked about feeding kids Paleo/Primal. I found what eased my mind about not giving grains was to do Fitday for a week or so and compare what they would be eating to what they are eating with a Primal diet. The Primal diet wins every time (more fat, protein, vitamins, minerals). My kids love butter on a spoon, so they get butter with almost every meal. If your kids do well with dairy, then there really isn't anything to worry about. They will get plenty of fat and protein. If not, just make sure they are getting plenty of fat from animal fats, coconut, nuts, eggs, etc. Also, calcium from bony fish, almonds, green veggies and broth.

I love this food pyramid for kids:

http://www.nourishingourchildren.org/Pyramid.html

Offer them lots of food and let them eat all day to adjust. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:54 PM

How long is it going to take for those photos to get approved??? sheesh!!

That thread is amazing but I agree, more women and mamas need to post!

So I've been extremely low carb for 2 weeks and I've maybe lost a pound. I do very light exercise, I guess it's time to get my butt in gear, sigh. I was hoping it would be easier, yk, "effortless weight loss" lol.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeK View Post
Hi everybody,

I do a green smoothie every day, with spinach & fruit (mango, pineapple, bananas) & avocado. If I skip more than a day of green smoothie, I also have this problem. It may be a lot of carb stuff all at once, but I generally have it alongside protein/veg (eggs & veggies, or bacon & veggies) & it's pretty much all my fruit for the day.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments! I'm going to start trying these out and see what makes a difference.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Newbie here!
I have cut out most, not all, grains, but totally need the support.

Question- has anyone noticed a difference in milk supply, as my supply seems to be going down without grains?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Morning everyone! Had a carb-y binge last week, I think in light of the upcoming moon time.

Back on the wagon and tried to make the best of it. Made some yummy buffalo wings with an egg batter. Very yummy and had a nice crispiness to it too.

Working on pulling together my fall/winter recipe base and seeing where I need to be mindful of grains and also potatoes too.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM

FairyRae, just saw your photos. HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are looking FANTASTIC! Congratulations!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
FairyRae, just saw your photos. HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are looking FANTASTIC! Congratulations!
Totally amazing!!!!! Very inspiring!!! WOW. wow.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM

FairyRae- You look amazing!! Thanks for posting such inspiring photos!!!

So, having a really hard time sticking to primal especially when out and about, which is a lot lately! But, getting better!

DEFINITELY notice an improvement in attitude and energy when I eat lots of protein and fat for breakfast! Thanks all for convincing me to do that again!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM

FR - those pictures are AMAZING!!! Holy smokes!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

User Tag List