Whey and cream cheese from raw milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm just starting out with trying to switch to a traditional diet and I wanted to have some whey on hand. I followed the recipe in Nourishing Traditions to make whey and cream cheese from raw milk. The cream cheese smells pretty sour. I've added some sea salt and basil to it and stuck it in the fridge to see if it does any good. Does the fact that the cream cheese smells sour mean that the whey is no good? Or, can I still use it for soaking grains? What should the whey smell like? It's kind of the color of that nasty Mellow Yellow soda... Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm doing my first batch, too, and was having the same questions! I'm looking forward to some guidance :-)
#3 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I can let you know one issue I had - I had thought that you just needed to wait for the cream to rise to the top. I put it through the towel / strainer way too early and it all strained through. I put it back to sit again and a day later it was obviously way more separate - yellowy and watery on the bottom and a custardy bubbly consistency on top. I did see somewhere else that if you use a warmer spot, it may separate sooner and be less sour. I don't know if I want to waste another half gallon of raw milk though to try again. I'm using the whey but will never be able to eat the cheese...:Puke

I think next time I'll try it with yogurt - I'll make yogurt with my raw milk and then make the whey and cream cheese with that...fun stuff! I feel like I'm back in science class
#4 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM

I made some awhile back and posted it on my blog with pictures. I'm guessing it's a little yellowish...not sure.

It's under the yogurt cream cheese and whey link...there's not much on the site, so it's really easy to find.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#5 of 7 Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It looks like you have some great recipes on your blog....I want to try the blueberry soda
#6 of 7 Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Does the fact that the cream cheese smells sour mean that the whey is no good?
In my experience, no, it just means that the raw milk has clabbered and the bacteria has done its job. If you can't eat it raw you could always use it in a recipe that requires cream cheese. My whey is a light yellow color.

crochetsmilie.gifWife to wonderful DH (8/04) and SAHM to DD1 (4/08) and DD2 rainbow1284.gif (7/13)

#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 AM
AJP

IME, much better results are obtained if you inoculate the raw milk with a live culture of some kind first. Just letting it clabber on its own has never resulted in anything I'd want to eat. You can try using some store-bought buttermilk or creme fraiche as a starter, if it's unflavored and live culture, it will give the raw milk a jump start and likely result in a more palatable "cream cheese" than relying on whatever organisms are native to the milk. You can also buy a room-temp culture like fil mjolk. If you have a way to keep it warmed to about 110F for 8-12 hours, you can make raw yogurt and then strain it the same way, just add some plain live-culture storebought yogurt to the milk and shake well.

The whey should be yellowish and mostly clear, and it will smell like whatever product it came from.

There is no secret ingredient.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page