how many eggs is too many? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6-year old daughter is eating 1 to 2 eggs per day and people keep telling me that that's too many and that I should be limiting her to a couple per week or something like that. She really likes eggs and asks for them every day at breakfast. Is there really a limit to how many I should be giving her? What is the risk if she has too many in a week?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I am not sure, but our whole family eats eggs nearly every morning.
A typical breakfast for the kids is 1-2 eggs and a banana. My almost 6 yr. old likes egg sandwiches too, on whole wheat with mayo of course.
We usually do eggs and some kind of grain, oatmeal, pancakes, bread.

The only thing I could think of is a fear of cholesterol.:

In my mind eggs are a much better choice for breakfast than boxed cereal.

To find out what the "people" mean, ask them. Why should I limit her egg intake? Then find out if their fears are real or perceived.
JMTC
Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 PM

I think people should eat eggs every day... they are so very nutritious! People who tell you to limit them are often concerned about cholesterol/sat. fat and will probably suggest whole grain boxed cereal with skim milk . Eat eggs and lots of 'em!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1-2 eggs a day is for sure not a big deal. At all. In fact, I'd wager that 1-2 eggs a day is fantastic, and 3-4 even better. Like Brigio said, it's probably people concerned about the cholesterol in eggs, which is silly.

Let her eat her eggs I just ate 4 fried in butter for my breakfast
Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 PM

That is not too many at all. Those that are telling you that are buying into the mainstream concept of fat and cholesterol being bad for you.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 PM

We have lots of chickens and eat LOTS of eggs. My 15 month old eats at least 3 a day. I don't subscribe to the mainstream theory on cholesterol!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 09-04-2010, 06:58 PM

We're five people, and we go through a dozen a day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
My 10 yo ds can eat five eggs a day, two cooked and three raw in a smoothie.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM

My 2.5 yo eats 2 a day for breakfast and I encourage that...does everyone think your child is sugar cereal deficient? I think eggs are especially great for growing brains

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 AM

people say eggs are bad because people believe eating cholesterol-rich foods will raise your blood cholesterol levels to 'dangerous' levels. there is ample evidence that this isn't true, but the usda's food pyramid promotes a low-cholesterol diet and we are told to eat high sugar foods like grains/cereals/bagels instead.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Keep doing what you're doing.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your responses. What's the best way to make them? Scrambled? Boiled?

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Scrambled is quick.

Mine love hard boiled or even medium boiled. The plus here is that you can make a bunch and store them in the fridge to pull out when you need it.

My DD will also eat them fried. She likes the yokes alittle runny(good for dipping bread) but not too much.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 PM

ITA with everything said here. My only caveat would be allergies. My DD1 can eat eggs, but if she ate them every day in the week, she'd break out with an eczema-like rash on the backs of her knees. So, keep an eye out for allergic response type things, and then eat away. Eggs are super-healthy! (I eat them every day )

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I don't know if there's a "best" way, just serve them however she likes them. We usually eat them scrambled, because it's the quickest way to make eggs for our family of 5, but I like mine fried sunny side up in butter, too
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cook 'em however you like. If you want to be super-nutritious, frying the eggs in butter or scrambling them with butter, raw milk and/or raw cream would give you some extra goodies. But even a plain hard-boiled egg is a very fine thing.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

I've read that scrambled destroys all the omega 3 and other good stuff. Ideally I would serve them soft-boiled (which my daughter loves) but I'm too scared of salmonella poisoning.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
I've read that scrambled destroys all the omega 3 and other good stuff. Ideally I would serve them soft-boiled (which my daughter loves) but I'm too scared of salmonella poisoning.
We eat them gently hard-boiled. Really, it's more sort of hard-simmered, because the water never gets hot enough to boil. I cook them fifteen minutes, but on a nice low heat. I also worry about the fragility of omega-3 fatty acids at high heat.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Egg eaters unite! You all rock! If you're not allergic, go crazy, in my opinion... Cooked any way you like and served with anything you like. My fave way?... Egg, bacon and peanut butter sandwiches (on Ezekiel toast). Oh gosh, I could go on. Eggs are literally the perfect food, in my personal opinion.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:22 PM

I don't know, how high of heat do people do scrambled eggs? I do mine pretty low, I suppose it could be affecting the omega three, but I would be terribly sad to not be able to eat scrambled eggs
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 AM

We love eggs here and my family of 5 goes through at least 2+ dozen a week. Free-range, pastured local, of course. No matter how many reports from main stream media saying how good eggs are for you, people are still afraid of them. I saw this article today that is a good one to email to friends or print out and give to them.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/162/5...ohydrates.html

It addresses the cholesterol myth.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

User Tag List