Healthy pizza... how would you do it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The easiest thing I know I would change would be to get a good quality grassfed cheese. Other than that what would you do? would you go full whole grain or just partially whole grain? Sprouted flour or sourdough or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 AM

i use half/half whole grain/white flour. or sometimes use polenta for a crust. i do use nice cheese, make great sauce, add lots of veggies, etc. we have pizza frequently - i think we make it pretty healthy!

Katie
Old 09-08-2010, 03:15 AM

Well ideally you'd do both sprouted and sourdough but really, just do the best you can

I'm thinking of making Friday's pizza night but since grain-free is the only way I stay thin--it's going to have to be almond or coconut flour for me

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Dogmom, not sure if you're still dairy free, but here is one from comfy belly that is made w/ almond flour. (We can't do almond flour or dairy, so it's out for us, but it *looks* good.) I'd count it as overall healthy as well--for anyone. I've not tried it though...

http://www.comfybelly.com/2009/04/thin-crust-pizza.html

Quote:
Thin Crust Pizza (made with almond flour)

This thin crust pizza is made with finely ground, blanched almond flour. But not much almond flour - and there's more cheese and egg in this recipe than a traditional pizza crust.

I make them as individual pizzas, and once they are made I store them in the refrigerator (wrapped in wax paper and plastic - wax paper between each pizza to separate them easily). You can freeze them as well - just seal them to prevent freezer frost. They reheat easily at 325 degrees F for about 8 minutes. And here's a tip: sometimes I make just the pie crust and freeze or refrigerate them for later use.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese (or another hard cheese, grate finely)
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of basil (optional)

For the topping:
1 cup or so of tomato sauce (prepared ahead of time by simmering it with herbs)
6 slices of Havarti cheese (or another type of cheese)

Preparation

Combine all the wet ingredients and blend well.

Add the dry ingredients and blend well.

Place parchment paper on two baking or cookie sheets. Place about two heaping spoonfuls of batter across six individual locations on the two cookie sheets (three pies on each sheet). Leave at least an inch of space between each pie crust so you can take it off easily. The pies do not spread while baking.

Using a piece of plastic wrap gently placed on top of a spoonful of batter, flatten out the batter with your hand until the pie crust is thin and more or less evenly smoothed over. Gently pull the plastic off of the crust and repeat for each pie.

Place the pie crusts in the oven for 11 to 13 minutes.

Take the pie crusts out of the oven. You can let them cool and store them for later use in the refrigerator or freezer, or you can go to the next step.

Place a large spoonful of tomato sauce on each pie crust, followed by a slice of cheese. And of course, feel free to change the toppings to suit your taste. Other great toppings include pesto, onions, pineapple, and so on.

Bake the pies in the same oven at 350 degrees F for 11 to 13 minutes, or until they reach the desired look and taste.
Enjoy!
ETA: And for a whole different kind of experience, you could always try a Meatza! (Probably not for everyone. Ds likes them though. )

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Before gf I would do a soaked ww crust that was totally awesome. No idea where that recipe went though. These days it is just meatza most of the time or zuc crust pizza. No cheese for us.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 AM
JMJ

I would do whole wheat sourdough for the crust, make my own sauce out of fresh ingredients, use good quality cheese, meats and veggies, and go heavy on the cheese, meat and veggies.

User Tag List