GAPS/GF/DF what am I allowed to drink?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm gradually making my way towards the full GAPS diet. I won't be able to do the intro and I wish I had gotten a jump start like that, but oh well, I think gradual elimination will probably work best for me anyway.

But, I can't figure out what aside from broth and water I can have to drink! I weaned myself off of coffee with teeccino, but that has carob and barley, both illegal. Can I still have my water kefir and kombucha? What if I add commercial fruit juices to them for a second fermentation?

I've heard that coconut kefir is illegal because of the guar gum in canned coconut milk. How does one make it anyway? Do I need to use WKGs or MKGs? I'm really suffering here without dairy, I thought about making it for a little while during the transition to make dairy elimination easier.

Thoughts? Ideas?
#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM

I did the GAPS diet for 9 months and I suggest you join the yahoo group because they are so helpful!

Do you have the GAPS book? If not, it is really worth hainvg. She reccomends juicing daily and fresh ginger honey tea. You could make lemonade with honey and some people report using stevia successfully on the diet. You could make herb teas from the Allowed foods list.

It seems like the consensus is that after you have been on the diet a while and are doing well you can try and add in homemade water kefir, kombucha ect if you please. Everyone is really different. I don't knnow about coconut kefir.

About Intro-It is highly reccommended to do it esp if you are having signifigant problems. Many people gradually go into the full GAPS diet and then go back and do intro when they can. I worked into the diet for 5 months and then did intro. It helped me sooo much with healing and you can go throught he steps fast. So if you do not progress on full GAPS everyone will tell you to go do intro.

Happy healing

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 AM

http://gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

i didn't find anything on the lists here that indicate that orange juice is illegal on the diet. i imagine that as long as it has no added sugar or anything, you could have that. or if you have or can get a juicer, probably anything fresh made from the allowed fruits would be fine, too.

*disclaimer: i don't know much more about the gaps diet than what i found on the above website

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#4 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
About Intro-It is highly reccommended to do it esp if you are having signifigant problems. Many people gradually go into the full GAPS diet and then go back and do intro when they can. I worked into the diet for 5 months and then did intro. It helped me sooo much with healing and you can go throught he steps fast. So if you do not progress on full GAPS everyone will tell you to go do intro.
I thought you shouldn't do intro if you're pregnant or nursing? Since I don't foresee myself neither nursing nor pregnant for the next twenty years () I don't know when I'll be able to do the intro. I'm only nursing once a day now, but I really don't want to wean just to do the intro, I've known people who did the full GAPS without the intro and they've had good healing.
#5 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
I thought you shouldn't do intro if you're pregnant or nursing? Since I don't foresee myself neither nursing nor pregnant for the next twenty years () I don't know when I'll be able to do the intro. I'm only nursing once a day now, but I really don't want to wean just to do the intro, I've known people who did the full GAPS without the intro and they've had good healing.
I choose to do it while nursing. I think my baby was 15 months and nursing a lot. You could modify it in some way too...it was just so helpful to me but I know some people have good results without it. I decided it was worth it because my symptoms were interfering with my life. Best wishes

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page