What to do with bacon grease? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this lard or another beast? I just poured my first batch into a glass jar after frying up some bacon. What do you use it for?

I kinda want to make Depression cake, but I have to stay gluten-free. *sigh*

Come ponder with me about food!
#2 of 33 Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Well I'm one of those cooks that is picky about the right tool and product for the job. So it's not a substitute for lard all the time. I would not use it in biscuits for example. But it's great for adding flavor to almost any savory dish, to saute onions or pan fry pork chops and possibly fry eggs ( not my personal preference ).
#3 of 33 Old 09-13-2010, 04:54 PM

We use it to cook hashbrowns and eggs.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 33 Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM

I use it for liver and onions, for oven roasting veggies, and for sauteing onions and peppers and stuff. Also for browning meat in when it's being pan cooked.

I want to try making baconnaise
#5 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM

We have great bacon which produces a marvelous white bacon grease with no funny aftertaste (I've had some that wasn't quite worth eating so make sure you enjoy the taste which shouldn't be overpowering at all before you use it liberally!)

We use it as our go-to oil for just about anything savory. A tiny bit for fried eggs and we don't even need salt (not that I'm afraid of a good sea salt!). Sauteing onions/garlic before use in soups/chilis, etc. We go through a LOT when sauteing dark greens. (onions/garlic/greens/sometimes tomatoes/bacon grease-delcious!) I've slathered it on top of a chicken before roasting. I big spoonful when cooking beans or when reheating old beans. Any savory roast veggie.

Unschooling mama alongside DH (05/01) to DD (5/05).  Expecting #2 spring 2012!

#6 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 PM

I use it to season legumes sometimes, it packs a powerful flavor into split pea soup!
#7 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I use it to sautee anything. Stir fry is my favorite use for bacon grease. But I'll sautee onions for pizza, or cook an omelette, anything that goes in the pan.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#8 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Despite my otherwise low-fat ways before going TF, I still kept a jar of bacon grease at hand. In the South, the basis of most veggie recipes is: Cut up an onion, saute in bacon grease, add greens and water (maybe a ham hock). Cook. Same goes for blackeye peas, beans, okra & tomatoes, etc. We also use bacon grease for eggs - more savory and salty - especially for the bacon-less days. I've added some when making mayo. Good stuff.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#9 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

My favorite use for bacon grease is roasting a chicken or turkey. I put about 1/2 Tbsp under the skin on each side of the chicken breast, and then liberally grease up the rest of the skin on the chicken. A little salt and pepper over the top, and into the oven. It's so easy, and I get perfect crispy golden brown skin and juicy breast meat every time.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#10 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 PM

I don't save the bacon grease more than a day, but we don't eat bacon often. When we do, I cook potato slices and green bell peppers in the bacon grease, then add scrambled eggs. This is one of my favorite dinners.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#11 of 33 Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM

My local bacon still comes with nitrites. I'm wondering if the bacon grease is OK to use, given how it was preserved with nitrites?
#12 of 33 Old 09-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Well I'm from the south and we use bacon grease here for LOTS of stuff. To make fried eggs, sautee potatoes and onions together, or to brown any meat. Oh and just about any greens here is sauteed in bacon grease, onions and salt/pepper. You can also use it in making corn bread. Ok now I'm hungry

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#13 of 33 Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM

i love to use bacon grease to oil my cast iron pan for corn bread. i also fry potatoes and onions in bacon grease. you can use it to fry eggs, pancakes, make refried beans, grease the pans for homemade bread or biscuits... just about anything that you don't mind having a slight bacon-y flavour.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#14 of 33 Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my favorite thing to do with bacon grease: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

we also cook eggs with it or toss it in when it's a good opportunity to add that smokey flavor to something...

ETA... I just realized that recipe calls for olive oil instead of bacon grease... which is NOT how he did it on the show. I highly recommend the bacon grease... we tried it with olive oil once (b/c we were out of bacon grease) and it wasn't even close to as good...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#15 of 33 Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 AM

I like to use it to sautee cabbage.

The roasted chicken idea is a good one!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#16 of 33 Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM

I find that nothing makes crispier, yummier hashbrowns than bacon grease.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#17 of 33 Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Hmmm. Tamara's post makes me think: how long does bacon grease last? Where do you store it? Fridge or jar on the counter?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#18 of 33 Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM

I keep it in the fridge... but I keep it more than a day. More like a couple weeks.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#19 of 33 Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM

I'd like to start using the bacon grease also, but my DH throws it out. "It's unhealthy and full of cholesterol and saturated fat!" But, sometimes I manage to save it and "sneak" it into foods for yummy flavor.
#20 of 33 Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM

I don't know how long it's supposed to last, but I've put it in the fridge for weeks and used it with no ill effects. I can't detect any spoilage or anything - weeks later it's just like the day after I put it in the fridge.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#21 of 33 Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM

It makes a great base for creamy soups-- like potato soup with cheddar, or cheddar-and-broccoli, or corn chowder.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#22 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

We purchase a pig yearly and the bacon from that gives off a TON of grease. I save in a mason jar and use it to flavor beans (if I don't have ham fat left) and to cook breakfast related foods in: eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc. I also use it to fry potatoes. YUMMMM

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#23 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

I used bacon grease to brown the sides of pork loins. Removed to a plate. Then added sliced onions and apples to the pan to carmelize. Then added pork back to pan atop onions/apples, and transfer to 450 degree for 5 minutes to finishing cooking. Delish!

Rhianna
#24 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Salad dressing

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#25 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't tend to deliberately render bacon grease, although I might not wash the frying pan after cooking bacon, and just heat it up again next time for frying potatoes.

What I do love to do is cutting the white fat off the bacon rashers before I cook them, and laying the strips over the top of a chicken before I roast it. Yummy, and prevents the top of the chicken from getting too dark. DH usually eats the cracklings afterwards.

Is it possible to buy bacon grease, pre-rendered? I love it, I'm just too lazy to render it. Would it be called bacon grease, or something else?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#26 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use it the way I use chicken fat... I let it help add fat to low fat things like turkey burgers that often stick to the pan because there's so little fat in the meat.
#27 of 33 Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM

My favorite use is to fry eggs in it. I usually fry bacon first, drain the grease, clean the cast iron skillet, then pour the grease back in with some butter.

I also love to use it with butter for fried potatoes and onions. Sometimes I also use it to add fat to lean meats like bison.
#28 of 33 Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 PM

VEGGIES! *drool*, to add to lean meats to help them cook, and for mayo making!

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#29 of 33 Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM

I add bacon fat to coconut oil (the neutral flavor type) when I want to fry up tortilla chips and they are the best chips we've ever had!
#30 of 33 Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM

I know I've kept my bacon grease for at least 3 weeks in the fridge in a glass jar and it's been fine. I use it for cooking burgers in and making lard/bacon mayo!
Voila! Recipe...
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
~1/3C lard
~1/3C bacon grease
{mix the oils together and melt so they are liquid}
mustard, s&p, squirt of lemon juice and/or ACV, garlic powder to taste
a TBSP of whey or kimchee or sauerkraut juice (for good bacteria and preservation!)

I mix it up in my Vitamix, but you could probably use whatever blender {regular or immersion}. I start with all the eggs, then the mustard, then spices, turn up the speed a bit to Med. then drizzle the melted oils in slowly. Put it in a glass jar, let it sit our for a few hours, then refrigerate! Its lasted at least a couple weeks for me.

Makes a TOTALLY delish chicken salad with chopped red onions!! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page