Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Coconut oil...not just for coffee anymore
Seriously though, it works great for diaper rash.
this made me almost choke on my coffee/CO

Now I'll be thinking "oh coconut oil, where have you been before my coffee this morning?"

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
Thanks!
I did wash her diapers in GSE and rinsed them twice with vinegar and left them in the sun to dry... but I didn't wash them on hot. Do you think I could try seventh gen disposables for a bit since they would be sterile? I sure hope it's not a sensitivity! My dh and I don't have any sensitivities, so that would stink! I am gonna try rubbing it with noni lotion and using disposables for a while and see if that helps (unless you all advise me not to do disposables... I guess I could get some pre-folds, but all we have here for that is Walmart and theirs can't be all that great, can they? Otherwise I would have to order them online...)
I'd go with the 7th gen over prefolds. And definitely wash your diapers on hot---or rather, RINSE them with a full hot cycle. Don't add any detergent. I suspect that if you check during the wash part of the cycle that you'll see bubbles.

Have you used any mainstream diaper creams at all? I know of one baby with a petroleum allergy and the mom had to use a degreaser (Dawn ) on her diapers to clear out the butt cream.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 AM

No, we have never used any other creams or anything. It just keeps looking worse and worse... Waaah! I don't know what to do! I don't want to resort to the medicated stuff, but how long should I let this go on?

On a happier not I got the Primal Blueprint in the mail yesterday! WOO! Grok on!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On the diaper rash, first many hugs to your poor baby!

Another thing not mentioned - my dd got horrid ulcerating rashes from teething. We just did naked time. I put every blanket and towel down that I had and just did a lot of laundry.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 PM

So what do you use instead of flour or bread crumbs for these things….

Thickening sauces – like a basic roux sauce for a casserole
Salmon cakes – my recipe uses an egg and breadcrumbs to keep them together
Breading and browing – I often use flour to brown foods and/or breadcrumbs for breading

Thanks!

Rhianna
Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

You can use almond flour for the crumbs, and for the thickening I know some people soak cashews and whip them, or you can use a nut butter. Tahini is pretty bland.

I'm not much for breading or gravy, I often just put in extra gelatin for my juices.

Now biscuits, cake, pie crust. Oh! What I wouldn't give for pie crust to be a vegetable!!!

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 10-13-2010, 01:41 AM

Google "sauce reduction." Fat and time will make a better sauce than any roux.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
No, we have never used any other creams or anything. It just keeps looking worse and worse... Waaah! I don't know what to do! I don't want to resort to the medicated stuff, but how long should I let this go on?

On a happier not I got the Primal Blueprint in the mail yesterday! WOO! Grok on!
Keep baby diaper free as much as possible because you want the rash to dry out. I use half and half olive oil mixed with a drop or two of Tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender. It works every time. I know many people say TTO is too harsh, but I have used this on all 6 of my kids with no issues. Also try washing your diapers with more soap and doing extra rinses to remove it. Soap works with hot water to kill the bacteria and you need both to get the job done. I manufacture cloth diapers ( well I used to before a crazy person stole my intelectual property, but thats another story for another day) and it always makes me cringe when people say use no detergent or use a tiny amount. It just dosen't get them clean. If you want to see how much bacteria and organic junk is built up in your diapers pour a little Hydrogen Peroxide on the inside of the diaper ( what touches baby's skin) and if you have bacteria or other ickies living there it will start bubbling like crazy because it causes oxidation of the organic matter. (of course it could potentially react with natural fibers, I haven't seen it do this.)

This thread drift was provided to you by Goddess3_2005 who likes to pretend she knows it all.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
this made me almost choke on my coffee/CO

Now I'll be thinking "oh coconut oil, where have you been before my coffee this morning?"
Not to get graphic, but it makes a great natural lubricant as well (gotta love being a breastfeeding mommy with crazy hormones, right!?) We have several different coconut oil jars in our house to prevent cross contamination.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Not to get graphic, but it makes a great natural lubricant as well (gotta love being a breastfeeding mommy with crazy hormones, right!?) We have several different coconut oil jars in our house to prevent cross contamination.
Oooooo, we do this! I just scoop it out of the big jar in the kitchen and keep it in a little glass jar in the bedroom!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Google "sauce reduction." Fat and time will make a better sauce than any roux.
Ok I googled that but seemed way different than what I am making. Maybe I am not making a roux LOL I am making a sauce of butter and flour, then adding milk to create a thick milk sauce for veggie/meat casseroles. Then add grated cheese on top.

I am not sure how to thicken the milk without adding flour. Almond flour? Cornstarch? Tahini?

Thanks,

Rhianna
Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
So what do you use instead of flour or bread crumbs for these things….

Thickening sauces – like a basic roux sauce for a casserole
Salmon cakes – my recipe uses an egg and breadcrumbs to keep them together
Breading and browing – I often use flour to brown foods and/or breadcrumbs for breading

Thanks!

Rhianna
Thickening sauces - You can use arrow root for thickening, or tapioca starch.
Salmon cakes - I use an egg but no bread crumbs, it always seems fine.
Breading and browning - you can use ground up pork rinds for breading (think fried chicken), otherwise, I usually just omit flour for browning.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
I use half and half olive oil mixed with a drop or two of Tea tree oil and a few drops of lavender. It works every time. I know many people say TTO is too harsh, but I have used this on all 6 of my kids with no issues.
Use half olive oil and half what?How long does it usually take to clear up? At this point I am willing to try anything!

On an actual primal note, as I am reading PB I discovered the fruits that are on the eat in moderation list are all the fruits that we can get fresh and locally here: mangoes, papayas, bananas, pineapple! Can only get organic berries frozen. Pooooo... Although I do get a TON of avocados too! YAY!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:

On an actual primal note, as I am reading PB I discovered the fruits that are on the eat in moderation list are all the fruits that we can get fresh and locally here: mangoes, papayas, bananas, pineapple! Can only get organic berries frozen. Pooooo... Although I do get a TON of avocados too! YAY!
You are getting locally produced mango, papaya, banana and pineapple in Portland OR? I am in Eugene but we don't grow those tropical fruits here. Except I guess kiwi grows here! We froze a bunch of strawberries this year but didn't get to the blackberries in time.

Rhianna
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You are getting locally produced mango, papaya, banana and pineapple in Portland OR? I am in Eugene but we don't grow those tropical fruits here. Except I guess kiwi grows here! We froze a bunch of strawberries this year but didn't get to the blackberries in time.

Rhianna
lol! no, we are in Hawaii now... i guess i should change that! :P
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM

if it's fresh and local, go for it. And then pretend to hunt each other through the mountains--dash up a hill or three, splash in the ocean.

The worse thing a bit too much sweet fruit'll do is keep you from looking ripped. It's not going to give you the white flour and added sugars obesity belly.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Ok I googled that but seemed way different than what I am making. Maybe I am not making a roux LOL I am making a sauce of butter and flour, then adding milk to create a thick milk sauce for veggie/meat casseroles. Then add grated cheese on top.

I am not sure how to thicken the milk without adding flour. Almond flour? Cornstarch? Tahini?

Thanks,

Rhianna
That's a roux alright, I'd forgotten it could be used for a white sauce.

What I do for cheese sauce--not the same as white sauce, but if you're adding grated cheese anyway a cheese sauce will probably work for you--
1/2 as much cream as desired sauce, heat on medium
equal amount of grated cheese(s) (total volume is now however much you want) keep cooking and stir
add seasonings, stir more, turn off heat, let sit for awhile, come back and stir pour on stuff.

For other sorts of sauces, add a stick of butter to the recipe. Use one 1tbsp to saute onions and garlic if you're using them, then when you get to where you would've been adding flour to thicken it, put in the rest of the stick and cook until the sauce is thick. The cheese sauce is faster, the other sauces will be slower.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
lol! no, we are in Hawaii now... i guess i should change that! :P
Oh what a tease! Can we get a fruit exchange going? hehehehe
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
We have several different coconut oil jars in our house to prevent cross contamination.
That sounds like a good idea!

I have one under my bathroom sink for face lotion, and one in the kitchen for whatever I need it for there. I should totally start keeping one in the bedroom!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 AM

I wanna join!

I just made chicken the other day using almond flour/meal as the "breading" for the first time and it was excellent

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
The worse thing a bit too much sweet fruit'll do is keep you from looking ripped. It's not going to give you the white flour and added sugars obesity belly.
How does one accomplish this anyway? I always look skinny fat!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
How does one accomplish this anyway? I always look skinny fat!
If you're really interested in the mechanisms, you should check out this book. It's not specific to "paleo/primal" and it's fairly techically difficult, but it is fascinating Seems the research really does support paleo/primal/low carb, or at least he makes a good case for that fact.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks ladies for the feedback on arrowroot and almond meal. I have heard of arrowroot and think I can buy it bulk at the store. It looks like almond meal/flour is kinda spendy.

Do you grind your own? Can I use hazelnut (filbert) meal? I have those locally and just made some nutbutter in my processor. I noticed it made a nice light meal before turning into butter.

And I'd like to make an apple crisp without grains. Anyone have a nutty recipe or suggestion for that?

Thanks a mil!

Rhianna
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM

I'd say yes. You can definitely make it yourself. I'm just too lazy Probably it's better for you that way (less likely to be rancid?) but I don't know.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi guys! I'm still around, just have been waaaay too busy for MDC. :-)

I am going to copy and paste what I wrote in my pathetic little neglected journal over at MDA

Doing good, still, just not journaling. Had a less than primal month after the kids headed off to public school. We'd been homeschooling up until now. It's been a huge adjustment but i feel like we are all pretty used to the schedule now and I am hitting a stride here.

i would really like to get down to 125 (I know weight isn't everything, I know, but still) before Thanksgiving, because that will give me a little leeway for winter poundage. Which I am actually ok with this year, because it seems natural. I just want to not slide right before the winter so a little mini goal will keep me on track.

Measurements as of October 14 (6 months Primal!)
waist-25.25
belly- (I've had kids, this is important) 26.5
Bust-33
Over bust- 31
Hip-37.33
Thigh-22

I started this in April at 150 lbs and the following measurements
Bust-35
over bust-32
Waist-27.5
Belly Button-31.5 (!!!!)
Hip-39.5
Thigh-24

Huzzah and hurray! I was a size 8-10 and I'm now pretty much a solid 4. (Wearing a comfy pair of Lucky button fly size 2's as I type.) My digestion has improved, skin is clear, pms symptoms halved. My psychological relationship to food is healthier, asthma has mildly improved.
My life is better than before, and for that I am thankful. I enjoy moderate treats, chocolate, maple syrup, honey, wine, gin and tonic. Even when I have weeks where I am not at my Primal Best, I get right back in the saddle easily.

Yesterday I did my first IF in almost two months. It was a weekly thing in the summer, but when school started and I had to start getting up at 645 it became a lot harder. It felt great to do it again!

Before Pics

[URL=http://www.flickr.com/photos/54130576@N08/5081859220/in/photostream/[/URL]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5413057...n/photostream/
Middle of the Summer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5413057...n/photostream/http://www.flickr.com/photos/5413057...n/photostream/

Pretty recent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5413057...n/photostream/

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM

for sure! I always make it, it's super easy. I do it in the vita mix or the food processor!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Still here, just hanging out in the DDC lately! I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant, and I'm finally able to eat more than just yogurt and bananas and peanut butter lately! I'm basically eating grain free, not necessarily primal. I'm eating grain free mainly for my allergies, and the fact that for the past 6 weeks every time I've tried to eat grain I've thrown up, so I guess my body doesn't want me eating grains! I'm still eating chebe bread, potatoes, and sweets occasionally, but overall, doing pretty good. I don't know if I've gained any weight yet, I won't know until tomorrow. I kinda hope I have since I didn't gain any weight with my first pregnancy until the second trimester. It would make me feel better. I'm pretty thin as normally anyway though, so I was never doing this to lose weight, it was strictly for allergies and overall health. I'm definitely lucky that this pregnancy is craving protein though, because with my first pregnancy I had to choke down anything with protein. It was torture. So this primal thing is working for me this time! I have my first appointment tomorrow with the midwife and will get to hear the heartbeat!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM

i haven't been on MDC much since having my baby (6 weeks on saturday!), but have been lurking to keep motivated. i can't say that the birth or my baby seemed any different/healthier following this WOE, but my energy levels postpartum have been wonderful (i was more energetic during pregnancy too). I'm loving it! I have to keep reminding myself that it's only been amonth, I feel that good. I find myself longing to exercise, which hasn't happened in years! For the first 4 weeks I didn't really worry about eating LC, I did eat more grains but not crazy amounts. And the preg weight has just been dropping off. By 4 weeks I had lost 25 of the 40lbs I'd gained. Which I'm thrilled about. The past 2 weeks I've been trying to get back to eating LC.

I am off dairy now. my other kids are allergic to cows milk (though they can eat goat dairy) so i'm assuming this one is too. i probably should have avoided it while preg, but it's so easy to ignore the need when you're not confronted with the effects. i am doing goat dairy, but only in small amounts. i was really strict no milk for a week (even hidden milk in an omlette when out to breakfast, which i've never worreid about before) and then yesterday i blew it and had a salad for lunch that had ranch dressing on it. totally missed it in hte chaos of ordering. that night i was running for the bathroom. makes me wonder. nothing else i ate that day was out of the usual. even the rest of the ingredients on the salad- baby greens, cabbage, tomatoes, onion, peppers, steak, guacamole.

off topic- anyone have any thoughts on the blood type diet? my cousin is trying it because her mom did really well on it. so i got the book from the library (well, the eat right 4 your baby version), and i'm not impressed. it's got the typical low fat stuff in it. coconut is listed on everyones avoid list, because of it's high saturated fat. And soy is highly recommended. Another example of something I don't like: I'm not supposed to eat black pepper, it's mentioned several times. Finally in a section about allergies it says why, because ground pepper molds quickly. So why not just tell me to only use freshly ground? Leaving out that kind of info just makes me question everything else.

Though some of the things make sense. As a type O I'm supposed to eat lots of meat, especially red, and avoid wheat, gluten, corn, potatoes, most dairy. which makes sense with my doing so well eating LC. makes me wonder if i would do better if i avoided some of the foods on my avoid list. like cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, black olives, oranges, kiwi. but i don't get why avoid blackberries, avocado, kefir/yogurt -why??? i'm on the waiting list for the original book, which is supposed to go into it in more detail, so maybe that will explain it. and then i'll know better whether i agree with it or not. and if i want to give it a try.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM

MrsBone- (Feels weird to call you that...) I wish I could go hear the baby tomorrow!!!
I'm glad you feel better, sis. <3

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Here are some random thoughts on the blood type diet… long before I heard of paleo or traditional diets I’d heard of blood type diets. This was back when I was a vegetarian and many of my friends are veggie or vegan. I am O blood type which is the oldest and when looking at the details of the diet it is basically paleo. I had 3 friends who were also O type. 2 of them had horrible migraine issues and one has fibroids. They all reported feeling better after following the O diet.

Since they were vegetarian, they were not eating any meat. Except some fish I think. But I believe they were eliminating many foods on the O diet no-no list. This probably included grains. Looking back I now realize that it was probably the no/less grains, maybe no/less dairy and certainly the paleo diet that was helping them.

I am kinda pondering that most people regardless of blood type might do well on the O diet/ Paleo diet. Just sayin.

Rhianna

User Tag List