is this chicken stock still good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I bought a lovely chicken last week. I bought it on Wednesday night, made chicken soup with it on Thursday night, and made stock with the bones on Saturday. Ordinarily I would have cooled and frozen it right away, but I didn't have time so I just stuck it in the fridge on Saturday and forgot to put it in the freezer afterward. So now it's Monday night and it's still in the fridge. That makes four days since the chicken was first cooked, and two days since the bones were simmered for stock. Is it still good?? It would be so sad to not be able to use it after taking all that care preparing it, but I also don't want to take a chance if it's not good any more. Can I still freeze it to enjoy later, or should I get rid of it?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should be fine, but smell it. I used to think it would go bad after a couple of days, but mine lasts weeks in the fridge, if it has a good layer of fat on top, because we keep our fridge at around 38 degrees to keep our raw milk cold. If it smells good, but you are still worried, just boil it for awhile before using it.

User Tag List