Pre-Pregnancy Nutrient-Building - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm going to start trying to get pregnant, sometime in 2011, and I'm interested in using this time to build up my nutrient stores in preparation. I know WAPF has a recommendation list of foods, but I can't eat grains, dairy or eggs. Any ideas on what to make sure I'm getting in my daily/weekly diet?

Thanks!
Maggie

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 PM

You may find this thread really helpful: Superfoods? Additional stuff for TTC? My Plan.. Its all a/b this topic. (And I was looking for strictly grain, dairy and egg free nutrition sources as well--lots of ideas there.)

First things that come to mind for me are seafoods and organ meats. Yum.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 10-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I had the same restrictions as you (now I can eat eggs though).

I did greens, chicken liver pate, some cow liver (mostly ground and mixed into ground beef), lots of homemade beef broth made into stews, coconut oil/kerrygold butter, HVCLO....plus meats, veggies, fruits, ferments nuts, honey...I also did some targeted supplements (B-vitamins and extra vitamin D seem to help me a lot and I take cal/mag when I can't do broth...and sometimes Thorne K2 drops)

I had dd on this diet and she was very healthy I am doing the same this during this pregnancy.

I aim for liver weekly (you can eat chicken liver more frequently), bone broths almost daily (can get more in when it cools down), meats, fats, HVCLO, and veggies daily rounded out by the other stuff.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM

A great whole foods supplement is brewers yeast. Be sure and get a good brand so it doesn't taste horrible! Check out the book "Real Food For Mother And Baby" by Nina Planck. She suggest eating eggs and dairy but if that's not what you're looking for she does a great job of breaking down the vitamins you need to conceive. She even has some different graphs that show what sources to get those vitamins.

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean View Post
A great whole foods supplement is brewers yeast.
If you're dealing w/ gluten intolerance, be sure to check your source--most contain gluten I believe...

I traditional foods
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM

We use Lewis Labs which is gluten free. It doesn't taste horrible either. Just strong.

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean View Post
We use Lewis Labs which is gluten free.
That's great! I think someone recommended that brand to me b/4 as well (I never tried it though.)

I traditional foods
Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Goat liver is my favorite liver and far tastier than cow! Cow and deer are very intense... but goat and chicken are suberb fried in lard and eaten with carmelized onions! Congratulations on taking your family's health into your hands! I followed a pre-conception diet similar to what the WAPF recommends and my son is vibrantly healthy wiht a nice round head (room for all those teeth I'm thinking!) and absolutely GORGEOUS! Don't forget your probiotics as well!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM

You might check out Susun Weed's book The Childbearing Year. It has a section on preconception health. This is more herbal related but Susun is also into nourishing foods, seaweeds, mushrooms and getting vitamins and minterals from nature, not capsules.

Rhianna
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
You might check out Susun Weed's book The Childbearing Year. It has a section on preconception health. This is more herbal related but Susun is also into nourishing foods, seaweeds, mushrooms and getting vitamins and minterals from nature, not capsules.

Rhianna
Love this book! I use it so much I keep it by my bedside.

Great thread! Bone broth, greens, sun.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've been offline for a while and haven't been able to check in. I know there's a great list of foods for pregnant and nursing mothers on the WAPF website, and I'm going to try to include those foods more often - especially bone broths and liver. I'll also check out Susun Weed's book. Thanks everyone!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.

User Tag List