Hand Grain Mill advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you give me some feedback about hand mills?
I have been using my blender to grind my sprouted wheat, but it is too coarse.
I have about $200 to spend, but I need it to be finer that I can get with my blender, and I want a machine that is durable and well-made.
I have been comparing the Jupiter, GSD German mill and the Wonder Junior Deluxe, but I was hoping maybe someone has one and could tell me more...

Thanks Ladies!
Sara
#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Are those models "hand-powered"? I don't think I'd be brave enough for that.

Do you happen to own a Kitchen Aide mixer? I have the "family grain mill" attachment for the mixer and am pleased with it. If memory serves, it was about $125

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#3 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ive been eyeing hand grain mills for a while now because of their price, but now im like "I may as well just save up for the electric ones".

I wanna mill a month's worth of flour at a time and i just dont see me wanting to do that on a hand grain mill.

Anywho the ones i was eyeing were the Country Grain Mill (before i saw the price lol), Family Grain Mill, and the WonderMill Jr. But like I said, its takes a lot of work and time to get just one cup that an electric mill can do in a fraction of the time.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#4 of 4 Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
JMJ

We have the wondermill junior delux. 100 rotations is about 1/3 c of flour and takes me about 2 minutes (plus extra time for dealing wit my toddler... she hangs on my legs as soon as she sees me grinding). It's not terribly quick, but if you don't use that much flour, it's not too bad. DH likes using it for some upper body exercise, so he grinds me 5 or 6 cups a couple times a week for big baking days, and I grind smaller amounts between.

We also grind flax seed with the steel burrs, and it is delicious... so much better than when we used to do it in the blender. Don't tighten it too much for the flax seed, or it will be aganozingly slow. There's a sweet spot between grinding it finely and grinding it quickly.

I tried grinding almonds on it once, and it had a really hard time feeding the almonds, even when I chopped them up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page