Cooking beans anyone else experience this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I prepare beans or lentils the way suggested on the WAPF site,soaking them in warm water with a little vinigar or lemon juice in it,the beans remain hard even after cooking them for hours.
I used to just soak the them in water,no lemon or vinegar, for 2 days changing the water several times and they cooked fine and tender.
I wanted to reduce the acid in them, so tried this method but it does not work for me.
Does anyone else experience this?
#2 of 19 Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM

acidity in soaking/cooking water can render the beans tough. i used to have this problem when we lived on well water. it was slightly acidic from the minerals in the water and i ended up figuring out i needed to use bottled water to cook my beans/split peas. otherwise they never cooked through.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#3 of 19 Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 PM

I'm not sure how the WAPF site recommends cooking beans, but another common cause of tough beans is salting them while cooking.
#4 of 19 Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM

How long do you soak with the lemon juice or vinegar? I think it works best if it is at least 18 hours. I do find I still have to cook my beans as long as without soaking using this method. That's why I make a lot at once to have on hand.

Mama Lea, grateful wife to and mom to Big Boy 10/04/06 and my little Sunshine boy 10/06/08 and surprise joining the bed sometime in March 2011
#5 of 19 Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Have you tried whey or yogurt instead of vinegar?

Acid in beans causes them to be really tough, like the pp said. When ive added acid too soon, my beans never got soft. I dont habe that problem with salt, though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 19 Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Have you tried whey or yogurt instead of vinegar?

Acid in beans causes them to be really tough, like the pp said. When ive added acid too soon, my beans never got soft. I dont habe that problem with salt, though.

I thought about that too Cristeen. The only thing is because I change the water several times, I just hate the idea of throwing out the whey.

Umami_mommy, in our case I don't think it is our water since I never ahd this problem when I soaked the beans without acid for 48 hours.

Mama Lea, i was also soaking them about 18 hours even longer but they were still so hard!

Annie Mac,I never salt the beans until they are cooked.

I was looking for where I got this information from on the Weston Price site and could not find it, and then realized it was from Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I like the book but not the way to prepare beans.

I am leaving out the lemon juice from now on and trying whey or going back to my old way.
#7 of 19 Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 PM

obviously the lemon juice acidifies the soaking water like my hard water. i was drawing an analogy, not saying it was your water.

i would leave out the acid.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#8 of 19 Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 AM

I add acid (lemon juice, tomatoes, vingear) to my beans after they are cooked.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 19 Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I often add canned tomatoes to my beans while they cook, but add salt at the end. I've been soaking w/out vinegar, forgot that step, and my beans are plenty soft and only cook for a few hours in the crockpot (as long as they've soaked for 24 hours).
#10 of 19 Old 10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

What's the reason for adding acid at all?
#11 of 19 Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 PM

I don't know the official reason, but I fing that adding a tiny splash of vinegar, wine, or citrus at the very end of cooking brings out the flavors better.

Summer, wife to DH (07/99), SAHMama to DS (07/08) & DD (07/10).
#12 of 19 Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
What's the reason for adding acid at all?
The reason the WAPF and Nourishing traditions suggests adding acid is the reduce the Phytic acid in beans
#13 of 19 Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM

I always soak my beans in baking soda instead! because when you add the acid, it often causes the beans to seize (stay hard). They're still digestible if you soak them a while. The baking soda neutralizes any acid in the water.

(Then I cook them with seaweed, then when they are soft, add acid for flavor. beans need acid to taste delicious, but not to cook.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#14 of 19 Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I always soak my beans in baking soda instead! because when you add the acid, it often causes the beans to seize (stay hard). They're still digestible if you soak them a while. The baking soda neutralizes any acid in the water.

(Then I cook them with seaweed, then when they are soft, add acid for flavor. beans need acid to taste delicious, but not to cook.)
Interesting! The Lebanese often soak thier beans with a little baking soda in the water as well but I did not know why. Good to know it also neutralizes the acid!
I've seen some of the canned beans in the natural foods sore,Eden I think, use seaweed but I never knew why.
#15 of 19 Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 AM

the seaweed is for the nutrition. Seaweed is so nutritious, and good for you, and I don't have a lot of ways I like it. by cooking a peice of kombu (kelp) in the beans, I get the nutrition of seaweed in my beans.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#16 of 19 Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 AM

Amanda Rose says that soaking in just very warm water is sufficient to reduce phytic acid (140*F being the best temp.) http://rebuild-from-depression.com/a...ing-beans.html

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#17 of 19 Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM

I focus on getting those beans to germinate - sprouting reduces the phytic acid. I could also take out the trays from my dehydrator, and soak them at 140F but haven't done that yet!

Also, Cook's Illustrated has tested bean soaks and found that soaking (NOT cooking) in salt water results in nice soft beans. I do it this way every time now, along with enough time for germination, and get the most tender, creamy beans ever. Just make sure to rinse the salt water out and start the cooking with plain water or unsalted broth.
#18 of 19 Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Magelet, what reation of baking soda do you use?
#19 of 19 Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
I focus on getting those beans to germinate - sprouting reduces the phytic acid. I could also take out the trays from my dehydrator, and soak them at 140F but haven't done that yet!

Also, Cook's Illustrated has tested bean soaks and found that soaking (NOT cooking) in salt water results in nice soft beans. I do it this way every time now, along with enough time for germination, and get the most tender, creamy beans ever. Just make sure to rinse the salt water out and start the cooking with plain water or unsalted broth.
Will the beans still germinate in salt water and how much salt do you use in ratio to beans and water?
Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page