Mothering Forum banner

Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in November/December

6K views 96 replies 32 participants last post by  treehugginhippie 
#1 ·
Can we make this thread the Extreme Recipe Edition?

This will definitely be made again this year for the holidays, Seinfeld's Crab Bisque: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/canned-soup/

Scroll down for the recipe.

This was the first course for our Thanksgiving dinner last year, paired with a wild field salad with pommegranite, persimmons and a shallot vinegar dressing.

See less See more
#27 ·
Yeah, that is kind of what what I was thinking about the graph too. Thanks for the input!!
smile.gif
Having a hard time being able to afford meat and greens right now... They should be inexpensive, but here on Kauai, they are kind of pricey at the moment. But, we are doing out very best!!!

Have a random question for you all (as I always do)... My husband has gotten two fevers in the last 2 months, and I am wondering if it could be related to eating this way/detoxing or if it is something else entirely. I assumed that he just isn't getting enough sleep for his active job. But just curious if any one else has experienced this. (He and my 11 month old daughter seem to have been getting fevers one right after the other these last few times. It's weird cause I am assuming my daughters' are teething fevers, since we just let them be and they disappear, but maybe not. Why would my husband "catch" a teething fever? LOL!
smile.gif
)

#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post

then there's lunch. we've been eating lots of tj's chicken strips lately. i've considered making my own with almond meal, but haven't. ya know, i should just buy some frozen chicken breast tenderloins to make making the strips easy. because clearly i'm not going to cut up a whole chicken to do it. do you fry yours? bake them? the nice thing about the frozen ones is being able to just throw them in the oven and then walk away. standing over a frying pan while holding a 2mo baby in the other hand is not easy or very safe. i haven't been in the mood for salad for lunch, too cold. but if i ate it with hot chicken strips, then it would be ok. i jsut need something hot. i need another protein option for variety, hmm... as for dinner, i'm thinking roasting: pot roast, roast chicken, and need to experiment with roasting veggies. i know i like broccoli roasted, what else? all i can think of is starchy veg: potatoes, yams, carrots, beets. what do you roast? also, at a recent visit to my inlaws, ds discovered cauliflower. he really likes it, so i'm thinking of trying one of these cauliflower instead of potatoes/rice recipes i keep hearing of.
re: homemade chicken tenders

I've made these almond crusted, BAKED chicken nuggets a few times and they come out pretty good (sometimes better than others...play with herbs to really give flavor). I just baked a huge batch and froze them to heat up later. I use thighs...our farmer sells them deboned and I just pull the skin off (and cook separate...yum salted chicken skin chips!). I just cut the thighs into similar sized pieces and go from there.

re: lunches

grilled chicken leftovers reheated and added to or on the side of the salad??

salmon salad or salmon patties (maybe these could be baked?? what about in a little dish instead of a patty?)

make a big pot of chili and reheat for lunch...add chopped red onion, jalapenos, cheese, yogurt/sour cream, etc to dress it up and vary flavor from bowl to bowl

meatballs (these and these are good and reside in my freezer for reheating)

fried egg on salad is good...especially when runny and on something like arugula (runny egg = dressing)

ds1 and I deviled eggs today and I forgot how much I love them...you can add avocado for some or all of the mayo - we love the color, flavor, and fats in that!

re: cauliflower/roasted veg

I LOVE to roast or pan fry cauliflower florets!! If you buy frozen cauliflower florets, you can just put them on a greased baking sheet, drizzle with fat and sea salt and roast at 400, stirring occasionally until browned. Carrots, onions, asparagus and brussels sprouts are also good roasted...and I bet green beans would be good (lightly steam first I think or use thawed frozen).

For onions I prefer to cook practically whole rather than chopped...red onions go great with lots of butter and balsamic vinegar drizzled on them (cut off root and top enough to remove skin, cut from top to bottom NOT cutting through the internal root base...make the 'flower' sections with fourths or sixths, NOT all the way to awesome blossum thin strips!...drizzle with balsamic and stuff in some butter...pecan chunks are optional...bake until soft and sweet, basting as needed).

Tonight I cut a large head of cauliflower into similar sized florets (about grape-sized) and pan fried in plenty of butter (and a little bacon grease b/c it looked dry and we love the flavor) with garlic, sea salt and pepper. When it was soft (I don't like raw cauliflower) I sprinkled on some Parmesean and let it melt on. YUM!! I also love this with more flavors like fresh tarragon and bacon pieces...
yummy.gif

re: quick and easy survival entrees

1) you can put a whole chicken (frozen as long as it's empty) with sea salt into the crockpot and cook all day...very tender and it releases enough water to cook.

2) chicken or pork diplomat: layer chicken or pork and separated onion slices in crockpot or baking dish, pour in some watered down mayo (or thin with stock) and top with cheese (the mayo separates so it'll be pretty greasy in the bottom but AMAZINGLY tender and delicious)

3) soup...this Tom Kha Gai soup looks easy and delicious

4) Stuffed butternut squash with sausage and apples (The Joy of Cooking)

I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in butter and added those this time, too...YUM. Here are the basics off the cuff...I don't really use recipes anyway so if you're like me, you can go from this basic outline:

1. split and empty squash
  2. bake cut side down in pan with water until tender 45-1hr?
  3. break up and cook bulk breakfast sausage, set aside in big bowl
  4. chop up an apple or two into small bites, (optional) sautee lightly in butter, add to bowl
  5. sautee optional veg: onions, mushrooms, etc, add to meat
  6. scoop out flesh, leaving enough to keep walls sturdy, add flesh to meat
  7. stir just enough to mix (leaving some bit-sized chunks of squash)
  8. mix in sea salt, pepper, thyme, sage, etc
  9. taste and add butter if needed (the recipe called for adding brown sugar but I leave it out)
  10. stuff the squash shells
  11. (optional) drizzle with thin lines of molasses and/or chopped pecans
  12. bake about an hour until heated through

Cut into large pieces to serve and people should trim off just the skin and eat the stuffing plus the layer you left in the squash. Great with a salad on the side. This makes a lot, is really decadent and full of fall flavors. Reheats beautifully or enjoy cold. BTW, you can use tart apples or mild apples depending on preference. You can also make this a bit spicy with red pepper flakes, but then my kids won't eat it. :)

I hope this helps! Congrats again,

Whitney

edited to add: don't forget baked fruit! baked peaches are sublime (you can use the frozen slices for ease, add pats of butter, bake from frozen, stir once to distribute that melted butter)...pears, apples, bananas, and even berries (though I just love those too much fresh!)

#29 ·
I haven't posted on here in forever, just because I have been pre-occupied with hs'ing. Plus, eating has been pretty boring, however recently I have felt the urge to cook something more exciting than steak salad and hamburgers. Loving all the recipes here, hope to try some of them out.

Congratulations to Suzi on the baby- that is exactly what my last baby weighed!!

I have started a blog and have a few recipes posted including a kick-butt grain-free wrap that is easy and yummy. The blog is very unpolished, but hopefully someone enjoys some of the recipes.

http://balancingtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

#30 ·
Definitely need to stick to the grain free this pregnancy I think. The nausea is gone, but I'm only 16 weeks and every time I eat grain, I get bloated, burpy and heart-burny. I was like that the last pregnancy, but didn't think to eliminate grains! Today I had some(okay, a lot) of my son's GF pretzels and have been gassy and burpy ever since. One thing I will splurge on is some gluten free pizza from BJ's Brewhouse, and just deal with it, because I've been waiting for awhile for them to come out with a gluten free menu. But yeah for the most part, avoiding grains. Hubby hasn't complained too much and has actually liked the rice and pasta substitute dishes I've made, so yay! DS is a little iffy but he's doesn't eat many grains anyway, and he's only 2 so he still eats a variety of what we eat. He hasn't hit that picky age yet!

#31 ·
I came up with a couple new recipes lately! Here's one...

Harvest Pork Chops

pork chops - about 4 of them

about 3/4c of cranberries, frozen and thawed

about 1/3c of horseradish

about 2 TBSP of brown mustard

Mix the cranberries, horseradish and mustard together, smoosh up the cranberries a little. Fry up the pork chops in a pan with salt, pepper and garlic powder sprinkled on top. Flip, top with the cranberry mixture and finish cooking in the oven on broil. It sounds a little odd, but it was really yummy! :)

#32 ·
Those porkchops sound really yummy!

MrsBone- Have you tried sweet potatoes? I ate a ton my last pregnancy to fill up that carb craving w/out going to grains and it really helped. I also found it got easier as the pregnancy progressed and I didn't feel my carb needs were as high.

Vaquitta- not sure if it helps but since the babe was born, which is almost a year now!!! We have been doing simple meals, pretty strictly grainfree(although in the last month or two I have experimented w/ trying to be 80/20-90/10- doesn't work for me). However, our meals were super plain. My thought was just to get something in our bellies.

Standbys-

roast chicken- can just be throw a whole chicken w/ some evoo and salt and a few shakes of spices

hamburger patties-- I had some pre-made- cook w/ some mushrooms, peppers, onions- serve w/ a box of fresh spinach or salad

steak - throw in a pan add a salad and pop a sweet potato in the oven(the cook wonderfully whole)

crockpot rotisserie chicken- thaw a whole chicken in the frig and then throw in the pot- rubbing down w/ salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic-no liquids- cook on low all day

crockpot coconut beef- exact recipe from crockpot 365 but can be as simple as some stew meat, cocomilk, curry powder, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and veggies

spaghetti soup- sometimes I serve it w/ spa squash but the easiest is to just make some ground beef and some sauce and quickly whip some up and then add a ton of veggies- zuc, mushrooms, carrots, peppers, onions, squash

We had those meals a ton!

#33 ·
Crunchy MAma,

I like your blog so far! The recipes look tasty too--I already want to try/improvise a couple.

Anyone making CHICKEN NUGGETS-- I found a recipe that suggested cooking them on a cooling rack set on the baking sheet and we like doing them that way. We dipped in butter and then an almond meal mix. They cook all around instead of half in oil and half in hot air.

We had grain free pancakes this morning, but with both diced apples and bananas added, which was a little tricky but it worked. But grain free pancakes are sloooow when cooking for six! I am ready to make up some kind of breakfast "cake" that I can bake on sheets instead. It's our twins' birthday today, so we did get out the chocolate chips since they got to choose what to have on top.

We are TTC so please wish us success this month. We have several things against us and this is fifteen months so far, but hoping to overcome all for this little hopeful dream. I am optimistic since making changes and seeing my cycle clearly improve last month. We are 9dpo and will know within a week.
Peace.gif

#34 ·
littlestbirds- I haven't made a chicken nugget kinda thing in forever but I like breading w/ almond flour as well. I love fishsticks like that- I just fry in my saute pan though I think they are better fried than baked and like the texture more.

I agree w/ you the grain-free definitely takes more time, not much way around that. More flavorful though and healthy. My babe's first birthday is coming up as well and I am not sure what I will be doing for her either.

#35 ·
trying my first batch of Grain-free jambalaya tonight. I think I might have messed up and added too much chicken stock... oh well we'll see how it turns out!

#36 ·
I've been gifted with several roasts, and bunches of stewing meat, so I've made stews quite often lately.
joy.gif

If I saute the meat and onions in a deep pot, add a splash of vinegar (not primal really) and then add the stock and vegetables, the meat cooks quickly and is very tender. :yum Then I add chunked root veggies, and some sort of cabbage-y green whether that be Kale, collards, whatever.

I am a bit limited on the paleo/primal front because we get a lot of our food as gifts right now.

#37 ·
first: why isn't vinegar primal??

second: I'm kinda in a funk...

I took the boys to a new family doc today. he's very holistic, hands off, and accepts that we all do things a bit differently. in some ways he's crunchier than I am ;)

he wasn't pushy AT ALL, but he did mention that he thinks that humans are "made to be vegetarians"...um, I'm sorry, WHAT??!?!

DS1 was having some trouble breathing and getting off of all grain and dairy helped (and was my final push to take the whole family primal) . We were super strict non-dairy primal=100% for 2 months and then were about 95/5 for another two months. During that time, the 5% grain/dairy intake would cause breathing problems/mucous within 24 hours. However, in the past few weeks, I have experimented with both grain and dairy (separately and together) and DS1 has NO problems with them. I'm so confused!! I mean, I believe primal is best, but am glad that we don't have to worry as much. I know *I* feel super bloated after grain meals and will still avoid them for myself, but I'm not sure what to do for my boys. Overall, both our boys are healthy, but DS1 has been below the 5% growth curve since about 6 months and maintains that...he's also 4% in height. To that extent the doc said I shouldn't limit his diet at all...if he's willing to eat a calorie, let him...but what about crap "food" like cakes, cookies, etc?? They don't offer him anything BUT calories. He eats lots of real foods and always to satiation.

This doc said that all allergens in our life, air-borne (plants, dust, animal), contact, and food-borne all add up and can meet a threshold at which our bodies are overwhelmed. Makes sense, but here's the deal: he put meat, dairy, eggs, and wheat in the food-borne allergen area! He said that animals with grain-based diets ALWAYS live longer than carnivores or omnivores. He compared a lion to an elephant...how are those a) comparable to humans and b) alike enough to compare? Maybe lions were NEVER designed to live as long as elephants! He said human vegetarians live longer and changing a dog's omnivore diet to vegetarian diet will extend their life-span. What do you think about these statements???

I'm just confused. I know what to feed myself. I guess I'm just curious what you would do to "fatten up" a small child (granted his dad and I were not big kids, but DS1 is about 4% weight and height while DS2 is about 50% height and weight).

#38 ·
Feb2003 - well pull out my canine teeth then since I'm supposed to be veggie! I'd ask your doc to provide the research which backs up what he is claiming and look through it yourself. Grains don't work for you, and just because someone is a doctor telling you should you go grain-based, it tells me they are not listening to you and what your needs are - especially if you feel better eating this way!!

As for your DS - so if I understand correctly he is proportionaly small, but healthy. I wouldn't offer him "empty" calories with cakes and cookies to solely fatten him up, but can you try to tally how many calories he might be getting in a day and see what the baseline is and go from there to try and up his caloric totals? I'm thinking all the usual items though - avocado, nut butters, regular butter, whole milk (or raw or nonhomogenized), coconut oil chocolates or butter balls, cottage cheese (full fat kind). Of course this is if he can handle dairy which I think you said he could.

I'm pleased to announce my jambalaya turned out pretty nice! I did freak out a bit and added a 1/2 cup of rice which really I didn't need to, and was a very small amount of grain compared to the 2 qts it made! I also made gf chicken wings with almond meal and it was very tasty with a nice crunch! My kiddos love them and gobbled them down!

#39 ·
Feb2003 the vinegar not being primal was just an assumption I made because I'm coming to this from more of a TF standpoint. I may well be wrong. :lol

#40 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post

first: why isn't vinegar primal??

second: I'm kinda in a funk...

I took the boys to a new family doc today. he's very holistic, hands off, and accepts that we all do things a bit differently. in some ways he's crunchier than I am ;)

he wasn't pushy AT ALL, but he did mention that he thinks that humans are "made to be vegetarians"...um, I'm sorry, WHAT??!?!

DS1 was having some trouble breathing and getting off of all grain and dairy helped (and was my final push to take the whole family primal) . We were super strict non-dairy primal=100% for 2 months and then were about 95/5 for another two months. During that time, the 5% grain/dairy intake would cause breathing problems/mucous within 24 hours. However, in the past few weeks, I have experimented with both grain and dairy (separately and together) and DS1 has NO problems with them. I'm so confused!! I mean, I believe primal is best, but am glad that we don't have to worry as much. I know *I* feel super bloated after grain meals and will still avoid them for myself, but I'm not sure what to do for my boys. Overall, both our boys are healthy, but DS1 has been below the 5% growth curve since about 6 months and maintains that...he's also 4% in height. To that extent the doc said I shouldn't limit his diet at all...if he's willing to eat a calorie, let him...but what about crap "food" like cakes, cookies, etc?? They don't offer him anything BUT calories. He eats lots of real foods and always to satiation.

This doc said that all allergens in our life, air-borne (plants, dust, animal), contact, and food-borne all add up and can meet a threshold at which our bodies are overwhelmed. Makes sense, but here's the deal: he put meat, dairy, eggs, and wheat in the food-borne allergen area! He said that animals with grain-based diets ALWAYS live longer than carnivores or omnivores. He compared a lion to an elephant...how are those a) comparable to humans and b) alike enough to compare? Maybe lions were NEVER designed to live as long as elephants! He said human vegetarians live longer and changing a dog's omnivore diet to vegetarian diet will extend their life-span. What do you think about these statements???

I'm just confused. I know what to feed myself. I guess I'm just curious what you would do to "fatten up" a small child (granted his dad and I were not big kids, but DS1 is about 4% weight and height while DS2 is about 50% height and weight).
Ok, first of all, Elephants don't have natural predators since they're so large. We're not exactly..large. A better comparison might be a cow. Which has plenty of natural predators including the lion. The cow also has 4? stomaches to help it digest all the vegetation it eats. We only have one.

The best comparison might be the ape, who are omnivores. Speaking of which, changing a dogs diet to vegetarian?! Considering how much you have to supplement a dogs diet in order to make them "vegetarian" I don't think its worth it. I hope he doesn't suggest that for cats too.

As for the human vegetarian statement...sounds like someone read the China Study.
shake.gif

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/ for a very good critique of the China study.

But really....I would rather be a lion than an elephant.

I have kids like yours. My oldest has always been small, though a decent size. She's 6 and 45lbs, so kind of small still. I ate a fairly varied though leaning toward grains with her. My second child is turning 3 next month, is only 10lbs lighter than her older sister and and is an inch taller than her sister was at that age. I was on the Brewers Diet with her. Anyway...

You know how he mentioned allergens can build up? I'm guessing that your children are closer to baseline in regards to allergens. If you keep up the grains and dairy, your oldest will probably start having issues again. He may not have a true allergy but an intolerance.Thats just a guess though.

Take with a grain of salt!

The only way I can think of to build more of anything other than fat on a person is through protein, so I guess protein? Moar meat mom!
joy.gif
shrug.gif

What happened to all the good smileys? I can't find the eat one.

#41 ·
Quote:

re: homemade chicken tenders

I've made these almond crusted, BAKED chicken nuggets a few times and they come out pretty good (sometimes better than others...play with herbs to really give flavor). I just baked a huge batch and froze them to heat up later. I use thighs...our farmer sells them deboned and I just pull the skin off (and cook separate...yum salted chicken skin chips!). I just cut the thighs into similar sized pieces and go from there.
THANK YOU for all these great ideas

#42 ·
Thanks for the replies! I was sitting there thinking: a) I don't need to start a debate about diet with this nice, young doc (he's only mentioning it in passing, not preaching) and b) I"D RATHER BE THE LION! :LOL

Next time we go (which could be over a year) I'll try to have some 'elevator blurbs' about primal ready. :) I had trouble today multitasking with my two boys acting all over the place.

DS1 eats lots of meats, veg and fruit, but he does enjoy soaked, fatty oatmeal so I'm not sure if I should add that back in.

He just doesn't eat much on a typical day...and then occasionally he wants seconds or thirds of scrambled eggs or boiled eggs, etc to the point where we think: holy, moly, he just ate 7-8 eggs! Anyway, I've always thought that since he's not *typically* a big eater, what he does eat should be full of nutrition. But maybe he's not a big eater b/c I'm not serving what appeals to him. *sigh* welcome to my pity party :lol

Brainstorming about adding fat:

1) smoothie - I've been making smoothies lately and putting in farm eggs and/or avocado for protein, greens, and enough fruit to make it taste good to him. I'll experiment with adding coconut oil, but he's not hip on the flavor of the Virgin, so I might try the TT expellar pressed.

2) butter - He loves Kerrygold butter, but it is pretty strongly tied to sourdough for him. He might eat a slice, but would probably be all over butter balls if I made them sweet.

3) butter balls - recipe???

4) avocado - any kid-fancy ideas? he used to eat them with a spoon and sea salt, but hasn't been interested lately

5) nuts - I make baked goods, etc with almond flour and we've been sticking pecans in dates, but he doesn't seem to eat many out of hand (me on the other hand.... :drool)

Thanks for listening!

#43 ·
Feb - Count me in as a lion too RAWR!! Ok quickly on the fly for me fun recipes with avocado - See stilllearning's fudgesicles - except you don't have to freeze it and then you "raw" chocolate pudding. You can not even tell there is avocado in it as the cocoa powder provides such a yummy chocolate flavor. MMMMMM

I saw the butter ball (i think it was with blueberries) recipe in a previous month's thread so let me dig it up in a bit, unless someone else can find it faster. As for eating habits - that's one thing, but to fatten or bulk someome up you need a baseline of calories they are intaking and then expending. Then add from there. Have you asked your DSs what they want or would like to eat/snack on, as that might help guide you to nutrious alternatives.

I'm still trying to wean mine off of cookies, goldfish crackers and pretezel sticks. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post

I made those cookies too!! i even used unsweetened chocolate for the chips and it was still sooooo good!!! I posted this in the other thread but thought I would repost it for this "Recipe" thread!

Fudgesicles:

1- 1 1/2 c. mashed avocado

1/2-1 c. coconut milk

7-8 dates

vanilla

1/4 c. cacao powder

Blend in a food processor or vitamix and freeze in popsicle molds! YUM!

Yay for being able to add pictures!!
wink1.gif
Quote:

Thanks for the replies! I was sitting there thinking: a) I don't need to start a debate about diet with this nice, young doc (he's only mentioning it in passing, not preaching) and b) I"D RATHER BE THE LION! :LOL

Next time we go (which could be over a year) I'll try to have some 'elevator blurbs' about primal ready. :) I had trouble today multitasking with my two boys acting all over the place.

DS1 eats lots of meats, veg and fruit, but he does enjoy soaked, fatty oatmeal so I'm not sure if I should add that back in.

He just doesn't eat much on a typical day...and then occasionally he wants seconds or thirds of scrambled eggs or boiled eggs, etc to the point where we think: holy, moly, he just ate 7-8 eggs! Anyway, I've always thought that since he's not *typically* a big eater, what he does eat should be full of nutrition. But maybe he's not a big eater b/c I'm not serving what appeals to him. *sigh* welcome to my pity party :lol

Brainstorming about adding fat:

1) smoothie - I've been making smoothies lately and putting in farm eggs and/or avocado for protein, greens, and enough fruit to make it taste good to him. I'll experiment with adding coconut oil, but he's not hip on the flavor of the Virgin, so I might try the TT expellar pressed.

2) butter - He loves Kerrygold butter, but it is pretty strongly tied to sourdough for him. He might eat a slice, but would probably be all over butter balls if I made them sweet.

3) butter balls - recipe???

4) avocado - any kid-fancy ideas? he used to eat them with a spoon and sea salt, but hasn't been interested lately

5) nuts - I make baked goods, etc with almond flour and we've been sticking pecans in dates, but he doesn't seem to eat many out of hand (me on the other hand.... :drool)

Thanks for listening!

#44 ·
I am a LION as well! I would just let it roll off your back unless he started getting pushy, as long as you like everything else about him. I know how I feel best and anyone else can shove it, I don't have the energy to discuss it.

I am lazy on the snacks, usually it is a fruit/veggie and nut/seed most of the time.

#46 ·
well i've been tracking myfood which has gotten me starting to make better choices. atleast some days. i've been in this weird eating mood lately. not eating till 11am then not eating till dinner, though it makes it hard to wait till 6pm to eat (when dh gets home). i'm still eating way too many carbs especially when out, i keep making bad choices.
blush.gif
i've collected lots ofLC recipes over the summer, i need to actally try some of them. and i think i need to really add some more fat. i need tofind one of those coconut balls recipes.

i did a pushup challenge, plan to start the 100pushup training thing on monday. my back and shoulders really need some stregthening, lugging around a 16lb baby is making my back sore. and my stomach really needs all the help it can get, an abs challenge is in the queue for when i finish the pushup one.

i go back in forth between wanting the best food for my family and trying to cut costs because we just cant afford it. and no there is nothing left to cut in other parts of the budget. we have no cable, barely any gas. work pays for cellphones and dh's gas. all our utilities are on low income programs. i buy all the kids stuff 2nd hand. i buy in bulk. it all goes to food and supplements. i go back and forth cut the supplements and buy the best food or keep on the high quality supplements because our diet isn't ideal? i really want to join a CSA, but then i think $34/week is that way more than I spend now? I need to sit down and figure out how much i spend on just fruits and veggies each week on average (when we're eating good). if it's anywhere close i'd like to go for it, because then we'd be eating all organic. though then i think i should skip buying organic on everything else so i can buy organic/grassfed meat. sigh... there's no winning is there?
banghead.gif
unless i go bump off the inlaws so we can inherit all their $$$$.
FIREdevil.gif
i am hoping to buy a half beef with our tax return. though its tempting to put it all towards paying off our debt, the sooner thats gone then we'll have an extra $400 a month. but it'll be years.

#47 ·
Vaquitta- I have the same struggles every time I try to cut the grocery budget though I end up feeling like crap. Being able to cook grains would make life easier and cheaper that is for sure though.

#48 ·
How do you eat kale and not have to pee a million times? I haven't tried it since my first attempt because I just don't have that kind of time.

Second, anyone want to address http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/dr-oz-rubber-wristbands-a_b_785512.html ? My vegan SIL put it up on her FB as "whole grain carbs low protein low fat, go figure" But what it really says is that if you've got a premenstrual craving for carbs, it means your brain wants serotonin and a 30g hit of straight up carbs (the ones not found in fruit) will make it all better. My take is that we now know why humans started braving bee stings for honey. Mothering is the necessity of invention, even before becoming mothers, apparently.

#49 ·
Spaghetti squash lasagna

Halve spaghetti squash, remove seeds and bake until tender. The squash will string apart like noodles but not be too mushy yet. Unless you're me and always bake it til it's mushy LOL

Brown ground beef with chopped onion and garlic. Add favorite marinara sauce.

Thaw frozen spinach or kale or steam fresh.

Use optional shredded cheese like mozerella.

Layer a bit of sauce on bottom of baking dish. Add half the squash, meat sauce, spinach, optional cheese. Another layer of squash, meat sauce and top with optional cheese. Bake until bubbly.

Big hit at a recent potluck!

Rhianna

ps: I have never noticed peeing more after eating kale. I'll check that out next time hehe

#50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

Vaquitta- I have the same struggles every time I try to cut the grocery budget though I end up feeling like crap. Being able to cook grains would make life easier and cheaper that is for sure though.
Me as well. When I start feeling blah sometimes my dh will ask if I have been trying to spend less on food. It is that noticeable!

Vanquitita, I struggle sometimes with wanting to buy all organic but we just cannot do it...I have been price comparing lately trying to find a way to make it work...for example, here it is $1/lb conventional chicken, $4/lb organic, $7/lb pastured. I cannot eat the amounts of meat I need to be okay and spend that (even though I know all the reasons organic is superior!) I do have a good very affordable source for pastured eggs (our friends) and butter though. I am finding some good deals on organic produce here and there. I figure if we are not eating processed/sugar/bad fat fake foods and food we can digest we are doing good enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.