Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in November/December - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 97 Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

3rd for the ranch dressing!!! I love the stuff - especially on salads as I'm getting burnt out on Caeser dressing right now.  I just need a switch!

I have a question for everyone as I am set to travel for work this weekend into next week.  How do you manage to stay primal or grain-free when your options are restaurant fare?

I'm getting nervous for my trip and the last thing I need while I'm there is a big fat upset tummy and gi issues.

Ideas?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#62 of 97 Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 AM

RANCH DRESSING

I think I do:

2-3 parts tahini

1 part lemon juice/acv

1 part warm water (to thin it out)

then I just add dried spices that I have on hand to taste: (I am very generous on herb amounts because I like the flavors)

onion flakes, chives, dill, parsely, garlic powder, sea salt,pepper...

sitr it with a fork until smooth...I just add more warm water when I take it out of the fridge to make it pourable again.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#63 of 97 Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

3rd for the ranch dressing!!! I love the stuff - especially on salads as I'm getting burnt out on Caeser dressing right now.  I just need a switch!

I have a question for everyone as I am set to travel for work this weekend into next week.  How do you manage to stay primal or grain-free when your options are restaurant fare?

I'm getting nervous for my trip and the last thing I need while I'm there is a big fat upset tummy and gi issues.

Ideas?

It seems like steak house type places go the best so I get get some meat/fish and just double the veggies. I also get salads with meat (cobb or chef without cheese) and breakfast can be bacon, eggs, hashbrowns/fruit. You could go to the store and get some fruit and nuts when you arrive.

I really try and get rooms with kitchens when we have to travel because I don't enjoy eating out at every meal. Since we drive on our trips, we bring a lot in an ice chest with us (like salad dressing, coooked chicken, nut butter, fruit, soups ect) and then buy produce when we get there. If you fly it is a lot harder but you could still eat pretty good.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#64 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 AM

thanks for the recipe!

re: travel food: We like to stay places w/ frig/microwaves or well OR /and bring a cooler and bring things like fruits/nuts/ veggies/ hardboiled eggs/safe lunch meat

at restuarants I generally just do basic meat+salad+plain veggies

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#65 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM

NAK

I did mostly paleo for a few years (4 maybe?) but started running into health issues with it.  Then I got pregnant and just abandoned it for awhile, even though I stayed eating healthy (more WAPF-ish).  Anyway, after the holidays I'm considering giving it another go, but with some major changes.  This is what I think will help me be successful:

smaller quantity of meat (was previously eating ~1lb/day, which was wayyy too much protein for smallish sedentary me to eat for such a long period of time)

more organs/bones/animal fat

more seafood, inc shellfish, roe, seaweed

incorporate raw animal foods

minimize vegetable fat (was using way too much olive oil imo)

eat more carbs, favoring starchy tubers over sugary fruits

drink herbal infusions - loaded with nutrients and I bet h-g's utilized herbs way more than we do

minimize nuts/seeds except maybe hazelnuts and chestnuts

add some fermenty things (maybe h-g's didn't LF on purpose, who knows, but w/no refrigeration I bet they ate way more microbial beasties than we do)

no "paleo" baked goods

and maybe kind of silly, but I want to try to add in some mushrooms too, they seem like the ultimate foragable food and they have lots of beneficial compounds in them and I hardly ever eat them

Not sure what this will look like in practice yet.  Already taking baby steps (added liver to my chili the other night and have had salmon roe on ezekiel toast for bfast).  I also have an order in for 1/4 grassfed cow, hoping I will get a lot of the oogly bits no one else wants.

Does anyone have any advice to add on practices they've found essential to do paleo successfully long-term?

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#66 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 AM

expeller pressed safflower oil mayonnaise...is it really bad on the TF diet? I just can't bring myself to make my own mayonnaise..it never turns out right, and I hate the taste of olive oil mayonnaise. I bought some hain mayo the other day and am thinking its a good compromise..It doesn't have a bunch of junk in it like hellmans or kraft. What do you all think?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#67 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post

Does anyone have any advice to add on practices they've found essential to do paleo successfully long-term?

Hey kallyn,

I started paleo about 4.5 years ago almost on accident because I realized dairy and grains were contributing to my Lyme symptoms. I had been doing TF for about 6 months when I dropped grains/dairy. 

When I feel best I am focusing on lots of bone broths (esp beef), liver/clo, coconut products, ferments (esp saurkraut and kombucha) with meats/fish, veggies, eggs, good butter, berries and a little raw honey. When I do this I have energy, I  feel nourished, and easily maintain a good weight. Following a paleo/primal diet without the TF stuff (broth, liver ect) does not work so well for me. Plain paleo does keep my Lyme symptoms represssed but I am not in robust health if that makes sense. I don't feel satisfied/full without the TF elements either because I think they provide me with the necessary nutrients...I just want on keep eating on plain paleo and feel like something is missing...and I tend to gain a little weight too.  

I have also found that using "baked" goods more than occassionally is no good, too much evoo/nuts is not great and I can only peroidically eat potatoes or my digestion gets messed up. Its all about experimenting. So, I think some of the problem with the paleo diet in general is that it forgets some important nutreint dense foods .....like you said, maybe they did not have ferments but they were getting lots of bacteria some how (and did not take abx ect) Thats' why I don't really care what paleo/h-g people ate..I can eat all non-dairy ferments (raw vinegar, hard cider, vegs, kombuchas ect) and feel great....I just do what works for me.

Do you feel fine on TF grains and dairy or are you having some issues? I personally think that TF grains/dairy can be healthy for people (I give them to my family and they are very well on them) but not for me since my health/digestion is still compromised.

Hope that helps!

#68 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

expeller pressed safflower oil mayonnaise...is it really bad on the TF diet? I just can't bring myself to make my own mayonnaise..it never turns out right, and I hate the taste of olive oil mayonnaise. I bought some hain mayo the other day and am thinking its a good compromise..It doesn't have a bunch of junk in it like hellmans or kraft. What do you all think?

I get this when I can't make mayo but I don't think it is a great thing but probably an OK compromise food (better than soybean oil and all that other ick in the other ones).

If you want to try to make it again, I make mine with half evoo/ half mented coconut oil and find it very delicious (Evoo alone is gross IMO). I do egg, lemon juice, salt/pepper, sometimes a tiny bit of honey and then VERY slowly add the oils.

#69 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the travel tips - unfortunately I am flying (WI -> San Diego) and I'm checking my hotel to see what sort of options I might have in the room for storage.  I love though going out and just trying to get my own food right away when I land (like bottled water, veggies, raw nuts etc.) so I steer clear of other less optimal options especially late at night.   Oooh I should google for a whole foods to see if its nearby!

Just dining while flying will be tricky, but I think I'll try to keep with my usual in a pinch meals (cheeseburger, no bun, extra veggies, or caeser side salad with chicken) as a run through the airports on my layover. mischievous.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#70 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

maybe try the mayo substitute that fairyrae posted a few months ago?  i can't remember the recipe off hand. but it
's something like avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic (maybe).  it's delish...but avos are out of season.  :(

if you use a really good, light olive oil and lots of lemon juice, you will get a better olive oil based mayo.  there's also bacon fat mayo that is posted on Mark's Daily Apple.  Never tried it, though.

#71 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

ktg - bring a small travel size cooler on the plane with some homemade stuff so you won't have to eat airplane food.  i always do this...if you run into problems with security, tell them you have food allergies.  :)

kallyn - welcome back!  does this mean you will be posting recipes to your outstanding blog again?  (Please say yes!)  I found that Paleo works better for me when I stay away from fruit.  I can do berries, but fructose really screws me up.  I can eat root veggies without much of a problem, but the fructose puts everything out of whack.  Everyone is different.  There's some talk on the MDA forums about starches or fruit for carbs.  Makes for interesting reading.

I also feel great eating lots of seafood, but I don't have a great source for it.  Will learn how to fish one day soon...Oh, and eggs had to go on the back burner for a while, too.  Isn't there some Paleo list from Robb Wolf about paleo foods that can cause problems (eggs, nuts, etc. = inflammatory).  Baby crying...excuse typos. 

#72 of 97 Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi, kallyn- haven't seen you in forever-

As to long term success- I don't know- there are times I am more perfect than others.  I dont' ever feel that wherever I am at is perfect forever.  I try to minimize fruit as well, although lately I have been eating more than usual for me.  I do try to do bone broth- a batch a week or so.  I try to do liver once a week or so- although sometimes I might have it a lot and then not for a while.  We take fermented clo and d3.  As to what I eat I really try to minimize the baked goods as well.  I might do them 2x a week at most- like coco flour muffins one day for b-fast and then some kind of pancakes on the weekend one day.  That is my upper range of acceptable- I don't always eat it when I make it for the kids though.  Some times I like to snack on nuts a lot but then sometimes I don't hardly eat them.  The majority of my fat is animal.  I like ferments but haven't been eating any lately- seem to go through phases with that as well.  We don't do a lot of seafood as I don't have good access although I like to do it once a week or so.  I just started eating mushrooms since my last pregnancy and now I adore them! 

I guess we have been at it off and on for 5 yrs.  I feel as I go it gets easier and there is less lapses.  However, I also feel it is helpful to be flexible about what my diet is- sometimes I crave this or that and I just try to go with it. I ate a TON of meat after having my last baby but have slowly felt the desire to eat less, she is now 1 y.o. 

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#73 of 97 Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

I've had success in the past using half macadamia nut oil, half olive oil.  The nut oil is nice and neutral and doesn't have a terrible fatty acid profile.  I would use all macadamia oil, but it's pretty expensive, so I just use it to cut down the strongness of the EVOO.  You can also try using bacon grease, which is a totally different kind of mayo, but pretty good if you like bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Hey kallyn,

When I feel best I am focusing on lots of bone broths (esp beef), liver/clo, coconut products, ferments (esp saurkraut and kombucha) with meats/fish, veggies, eggs, good butter, berries and a little raw honey. When I do this I have energy, I  feel nourished, and easily maintain a good weight. Following a paleo/primal diet without the TF stuff (broth, liver ect) does not work so well for me. Plain paleo does keep my Lyme symptoms represssed but I am not in robust health if that makes sense. I don't feel satisfied/full without the TF elements either because I think they provide me with the necessary nutrients...I just want on keep eating on plain paleo and feel like something is missing...and I tend to gain a little weight too. 

Do you feel fine on TF grains and dairy or are you having some issues? I personally think that TF grains/dairy can be healthy for people (I give them to my family and they are very well on them) but not for me since my health/digestion is still compromised.

Thanks so much for your input!  I suspect it will be the same for me with respect to bone broth, ferments, etc.  I've been running these ideas by DH too and he is calling my plan "nourishing paleo traditions."  :)  The way I'm thinking about it is that real h-g's would have had all sorts of practices we don't/can't do - eating organs we can't even buy because they're illegal, no refrigeration, doing weird stuff like burning marsh grasses and adding the ashes to their food - so with the absence of that in our modern lives it makes sense to take cues from food cultures we know that actually produced generations of healthy people.

I feel pretty good on limited TF grains/dairy, but I don't know how much of that is me naturally and how much is due to my crazy preggo/nursing metabolism.  I also have a couple kind of autoimmune things that I think I can handle even better than I currently do.  Plus the paleo nerd in me just can't give the idea up!  I'm not sure what I'll do for DD when she's old enough for food, but I suspect I'll lean more towards TF as long as she doesn't have any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post

kallyn - welcome back!  does this mean you will be posting recipes to your outstanding blog again?  (Please say yes!)  I found that Paleo works better for me when I stay away from fruit.  I can do berries, but fructose really screws me up.  I can eat root veggies without much of a problem, but the fructose puts everything out of whack.  Everyone is different.  There's some talk on the MDA forums about starches or fruit for carbs.  Makes for interesting reading.

I also feel great eating lots of seafood, but I don't have a great source for it.  Will learn how to fish one day soon...Oh, and eggs had to go on the back burner for a while, too.  Isn't there some Paleo list from Robb Wolf about paleo foods that can cause problems (eggs, nuts, etc. = inflammatory).  Baby crying...excuse typos. 

I'm definitely considering starting the blog up again if I get back into paleo! 

I feel the same way about fruit.  Starches never seem to bother me, but too much fruit makes me feel kind of gross.  I almost get the same feeling from fruit that straight up SAD candy gives me.  Interesting on the eggs/nuts.  I go back and forth on eggs.  Sometimes I like them, sometimes they make me gag.  I don't eat a lot even when I'm "on" them though - I'll buy a dozen and it'll last me for weeks.  Nuts are kind of the same.  Snacking on almonds will frequently give me a mild stomachache, so I tend not to do it, although I have occasionally fallen into the trap of almond flour baked goods.  Yuck, eggs and nuts together.  Guess I'm "off" them today.  pinktongue.gif 

Speaking of Robb Wolf, I've been reading up on him for the past few days - I think he got big during my paleosphere hiatus - and the diet he advocates on his website is the one that made me feel pretty gross in the long term - lots of veggies, muscle meats, and plant fats. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

Hi, kallyn- haven't seen you in forever-

... I do try to do bone broth- a batch a week or so.  I try to do liver once a week or so- although sometimes I might have it a lot and then not for a while.  We take fermented clo and d3.  As to what I eat I really try to minimize the baked goods as well.  ...  I just started eating mushrooms since my last pregnancy and now I adore them! 

Hey!  Those are all things I'm thinking of adding, so glad to hear they are working for you!  I was taking FCLO/BO blend during my pregnancy, but the bottle ran out and I haven't ordered any more.  Do you feel like it helps you?  Also, do you have any yummy way to get your shrooms in?  I'll admit I don't quite know what to do with them.  :)

#74 of 97 Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM

I have noticed a lot of people on MDA doing the Whole30. Is that the Robb Wolf diet?( I noticed people talking about how they were only allowed to eat plant fats and being confused by it) Plant fats? I couldn't do it, I love me some bacon fat. 

which reminds me, anyone have a tried and true almond crust recipe? I'm thinking of making a pumpkin cheese cake for Christmas and I was theorizing on an almond crust idea. We have ground almonds in bulk where I work, maybe add eggs, vanilla(real vanilla!) some stevia and butter then bake? Would that work?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#75 of 97 Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Mushrooms: I like them sauteed w/ beef or other red meat especially w/ carmelized onions.  Chopped up and sauteed as a replacement for spaghetti.

I do feel the clo helps and the d3 in the winter.  The only time I have had when I haven't felt great are times when I have let grain and sugar creep in my diet.

re: Whole 30: Is my understanding that this diet is the brainchild of 2 other Crossfitters that started their own health/diet/fitness plan.  Wolff started with Crossfit but I am not certain how much he is still affiliated with them as iirc there was somewhat of a falling out there. 

#76 of 97 Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Ideas?

Denny's for steak and eggs. replace the hash browns with steamed veggies.

#77 of 97 Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Oooh That sounds heavenly!  So far - not too bad in staying grain free, though my very good friends are mourning my loss of beer from my diet. (me too!)

Last night I had an amazing dinner - it was carna asada and 3 grilled shrimp on a bed of mexican rice and beans with a generous side of guac.  I left the rice (also because I'll bet it was seasoned with something ala gluten) and just ate the shrimp, steak, beans and guac.  It was heaven.  Unfortunately the server kept bringing me tortillas (flour) and I kept having to decline.  He looked at me like I had 3 heads. 

I'm in love with these grilled fish tacos and everything is just yum, yum and yum!

#78 of 97 Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM

@Vaquitita 11/20/10 at 9:28pm

You may not have to join the CSA to get some benefit. I asked to volunteer at one in FL just for the experience – planting, thinning, picking, washing, etc. I worked about two to three hours Saturday AMs and the first times I went to leave the manager said to take a bag full – so every week I brought home 5 to 10 lb of vegetables.

@newcastlemama 11/27/10 at 12:17am ,

I sympathize with you on the price of some organics. For me with most of my diet being produce I am finding the organic premium is relatively small so I get whatever I can. For my protein I have added sprouts to fish and fowl. Just today I just ordered organic seeds to sprout in a kit from www.sproutpeople.com which I figure will be much cheaper than what I can buy from the grocery. I also have bought regular dried beans (couldn't find organic at the time), and I buy canned wild salmon, and regular frozen turkeys.

@MrsBone 11/30/10 at 7:06am,

Quote:

Honestly, even if you can't afford all organic, cutting out processed food, and eating a clean, whole foods diet is going to be better for you in the long run! If you can swing 50% organic, that's much better!

Yes!

@kallyn 12/3/10 at 6:23am,

- Thinking about returning to Paleo after a WAPF-ish diet.

You might want to consider replacing a good part of the WAPF diet with leafy and other vegetables for the fiber and other nutrients. Your mentioning tubers and other root vegetables I think is a good idea – in keeping with what I understand about h-g lifestyle. That would make it more like my Paleo diet (with nuts and fruits) which I have never tired of. I found www.thepaleodiet.com and decided I'd start with a paleo dinner salad with fruit on the side. It worked so well for me I never left, although the first week I lost four lbs; then I changed its balance and added more seasoning. Without wheat I discovered that I was finally allergy free and at 66 have no problems.

#79 of 97 Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Oooh That sounds heavenly!  So far - not too bad in staying grain free, though my very good friends are mourning my loss of beer from my diet. (me too!)

Last night I had an amazing dinner - it was carna asada and 3 grilled shrimp on a bed of mexican rice and beans with a generous side of guac.  I left the rice (also because I'll bet it was seasoned with something ala gluten) and just ate the shrimp, steak, beans and guac.  It was heaven.  Unfortunately the server kept bringing me tortillas (flour) and I kept having to decline.  He looked at me like I had 3 heads. 

I'm in love with these grilled fish tacos and everything is just yum, yum and yum!

I like to use lettuce leaves as taco shells. Hmm.....am feeling like a minced chicken saute does Chinese style and serving it in lettuce cups.

#80 of 97 Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

@kallyn 12/3/10 at 6:23am,

- Thinking about returning to Paleo after a WAPF-ish diet.

You might want to consider replacing a good part of the WAPF diet with leafy and other vegetables for the fiber and other nutrients. Your mentioning tubers and other root vegetables I think is a good idea – in keeping with what I understand about h-g lifestyle. That would make it more like my Paleo diet (with nuts and fruits) which I have never tired of. I found www.thepaleodiet.com and decided I'd start with a paleo dinner salad with fruit on the side. It worked so well for me I never left, although the first week I lost four lbs; then I changed its balance and added more seasoning. Without wheat I discovered that I was finally allergy free and at 66 have no problems.

I already eat a ton of veggies, leafy and otherwise.  :)  We have a family size share from an organic CSA for just the two of us and we mostly eat it all every week.  For me, WAPF-ish was meat + veggie + something starchy all covered in lots of butter, so I would just make sure the starchy part is roots/tubers from now on instead of grains or beans.  I never got tired of my old paleo diet, but the way I was doing it just wasn't working out for me healthwise - chicken breast plus olive oil just isn't the same as fatty meat on the bone and organ meats.

I'm glad paleo is working so well for you!

#81 of 97 Old 12-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Give melted lard, ghee and / or bacon grease a try for making homemade mayo.  I use all 3 together and it turns out Delicious!!

#82 of 97 Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

this may have been asked before, but how many of you allow sprouted bread in your diet (Ezekial etc).  My husband would like to be able to eat these things too and is insisting it's like a vegetable (not a grain) because of being sprouted.  Thoughts on that anyone?  I'm sure it's healthier than regular bread, but could it be considered grain-free at all?  TIA!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#83 of 97 Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
Ok, I'm not extreme
I would really like to find some tried and tested offal recipes. nothing fancy, my kids don't handle fancy well

My favorite offal is tongue, I had the guy from the taco truck teach me because I loved how he made it.  I also make a great liver dish (with dairy) using duck livers.  Haven't tried it with chicken yet, but I will one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post

Just wondering!! (Always trying to find ways to get oysters in that I can tolerate for the zinc! If you ladies have any oyster ideas, LMK!)

BBQ oysters, if we're talking fresh. One of the only ways I really like them (although Rockefeller is also good).  We use a lemon/garlic/spinach/white wine sauce on them.  delish!!

And for the mayo question - I use sunflower seed oil most of the time.  On the premise that I could make it at home if I had the patience.  It's not difficult.  Which cannot be said for something like soy or canola oil.  Although I also love duck fat mayo - it's my fave, but not always suitable. 

As for me - I haven't been around here much lately... well, since DS was born, I think.  But starting Jan 1 we are recommitting to grain-free.  My birthday is in a few days, and I'm feeling older, and realizing I want to be able to run a marathon by my next birthday.  And since I can't stop packing on the pounds eating grains, they've gotta go. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#84 of 97 Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey, has anyone read Robb Wolf's new book.  I was thinking about getting. 

I've listed to a few of his podcast's here and there.  I like that's he's down to earth, into the science, but still light hearted and funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution-Original-Human-Diet/dp/0982565844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292822544&sr=8-1

#85 of 97 Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Life is quite busy with 3 kids, so I haven't been on here in awhile.  there's some really yummy sounding recipes, can't wait to try them. i've been doing a bit better on grains. and i'm loving cauliflower as a substitute! so glad i tried it. i've lost a couple more pounds too. though the past few days i have been sugar bingeing. ugh. why can't i stay away from sugar for more than a couple weeks?

Thank you everyone for the input on my whole organic vs. debt issue. I have to keep reminding myself a whole food diet (with some organic) is worth doing. even if we're eating conventional meat. instead of thinking if i can't be all organic/pastured that its not worth even trying. when i am trying hard to have us eat good then i keep thinking how much better it would be for my kids to be eating good meat. gotta not go there. perfection isn't obtainable, a better diet is WAY better than SAD. i would still like to use part of our tax return to get the meat and part to go towards our debt. what i need is a concrete plan as to which food i'm buying organic and which i'm not.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#86 of 97 Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 PM

I read The Paleo Solution and liked it enough to recommend it to my mom. It is a good read.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#87 of 97 Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM

hi ladies! christmas is almost here, and we will be going to my in-laws for christmas lunch. Im going to bring some sugar-free eggnog ice cream to help me resist all the conventional treats on offer. just reading these threads for reminders and inspiration to not get to crazy just because of a date on the calendar!

#88 of 97 Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

Hey, has anyone read Robb Wolf's new book.  I was thinking about getting. 

I've listed to a few of his podcast's here and there.  I like that's he's down to earth, into the science, but still light hearted and funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution-Original-Human-Diet/dp/0982565844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292822544&sr=8-1

it's a great book.  i got about halfway through before i became distracted with more pressing reading.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#89 of 97 Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

My favorite offal is tongue, I had the guy from the taco truck teach me because I loved how he made it.  I also make a great liver dish (with dairy) using duck livers.  Haven't tried it with chicken yet, but I will one of these days.

please share that tongue recipe!  i've got 2 beef tongues in my freezer...

ooo... and please share that liver recipe.  

what about pork liver?   kidneys?   do you disguise them or just be bold (and then make something else as well just in case it is pukey) ?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#90 of 97 Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

please share that tongue recipe!  i've got 2 beef tongues in my freezer...

ooo... and please share that liver recipe.  

what about pork liver?   kidneys?   do you disguise them or just be bold (and then make something else as well just in case it is pukey) ?

Ok, beef tongue. Put it in a pot w water to cover, a few peppercorns, a bayleaf, some onion if you like. Cover, Bring to a boil, simmer 2 hours ( no more than 2.5). Tongue should be fork tender. Remove from liquid and stick it in the fridge. The water can be strained and used like broth to cook other things.

When its cold, peel the skin off, slice or cube. Pan fry in oil to give it some color. I usually steam some potatoes, chill and toss them together in the cast iron pan. Its a great quick lunch w the meat and potatoes already cooked and cubed in the fridge. My fave accompaniment for it is a cilantro mayo. Or i put it in a tortilla w a dose of sriracha (obviously not grain free).

There was a thread on offal a while backmin this forum. I posted the liver recipe there. If you search my username and marsala it should come up. I cant really post a link from my ipod. But in theory the recipe should work for any liver, although i havent tried it. Ive had commercial pate made from pork liver and it was excellent, so its just a matter of finding the right recipe.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page