Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in November/December - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we make this thread the Extreme Recipe Edition?

This will definitely be made again this year for the holidays, Seinfeld's Crab Bisque: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/canned-soup/

Scroll down for the recipe.

This was the first course for our Thanksgiving dinner last year, paired with a wild field salad with pommegranite, persimmons and a shallot vinegar dressing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you for starting the new thread, and yes! Let's have lots of recipes!!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

So my announcement...I had my baby!!!!! Born November 6th at 2:42 a.m.

Remember my weight gain issues (multiple gastrointestinal illnesses that kept me losing weight)? The baby was 7 pounds, 9 ounces!! My largest baby!! The other two were 6 lbs 12 oz on a SAD diet and 6 lbs even on a TF (grain free at the very end) diet. I was mostly paleo on this one (dairy in my 2nd trimester), I gained maybe 20 lbs and he was the biggest. Thank God for protein and fat.

He's perfect, and beautiful and wonderful in every way. Born at home, in the tub. No name yet.

I'm ravenous. I'm going to eat yet another pumpkin muffin and a huge pan of shepherd's pie now.

So glad I stuck with paleo!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
So my announcement...I had my baby!!!!!

Remember my weight gain issues (multiple gastrointestinal illnesses that kept me losing weight)? The baby was 7 pounds, 9 ounces!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Remember my weight gain issues (multiple gastrointestinal illnesses that kept me losing weight)? The baby was 7 pounds, 9 ounces!! My largest baby!! The other two were 6 lbs 12 oz on a SAD diet and 6 lbs even on a TF (grain free at the very end) diet. I was mostly paleo on this one (dairy in my 2nd trimester), I gained maybe 20 lbs and he was the biggest. Thank God for protein and fat.
SPECTACULAR!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Congrats mama!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM

WOOT!! FINALLY!! (I mean about the new thread )
Congratulations Suzukiaustin! What a nice sized baby Glad to hear that the birth went well, how fantastic

My contribution to extreme recipe edition.

Shepards Pie(I know, I know..not too extreme )

1 head cauliflower, boiled and whipped with butter and heavy cream
1 lb regular hamburger, scramble-fried
1 lb chicken hearts, sauteed then chopped into small pieces
whatever vegetables that float your boat steamed

I mix the meat together, adding whatever spices that you like(I like salt/pepper/garlic/cayenne) and use the fat as the gravy. I tend to use broccoli as the veggie of choice and cover with the whipped cauliflower. Cover with cheese. What made this extreme? The chicken hearts!
Ok, I'm not extreme
I would really like to find some tried and tested offal recipes. nothing fancy, my kids don't handle fancy well

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:

He's perfect, and beautiful and wonderful in every way. Born at home, in the tub. No name yet.

I'm ravenous. I'm going to eat yet another pumpkin muffin and a huge pan of shepherd's pie now.

I'm SOOO glad to hear all is well and it sounds as if the midwives worries were for nothing!

CONGRATULATIONS mama!!!!!

I'm here! No recipe tonight, but wanted to share I've been reading The Perfect Health Diet (my sis bought it and loaned it to me--yay!) and it's basically paleo plus some dairy (if you so choose ) and potatoes/sweet potatoes/white rice (starches). I am really really enjoying it--mostly about eating the most non-toxic, nutrient dense foods possible, and all the info is backed by science (which they reference throughout the book.) Just another cool perspective, and there is lots of TF stuff in there as well (they reference eating bone broth, marrow, organs, fermented foods, etc...)

I totally recommend checking it out! Esp if you like to include potatoes etc in your family's meals--they make a good argument for keeping some starchy carbs in the diet. (My dh and ds do much better than me w/ more carbs, and this book really aligns with what they eat, which is what I really really like about it!)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Can we make this thread the Extreme Recipe Edition?

This will definitely be made again this year for the holidays, Seinfeld's Crab Bisque: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/canned-soup/
Ok, I'm still experimenting w/ seafood. (All I eat currently is salmon, basically--oh and anchovies in homemade caesar dressing.)

Do you think this recipe would work ok w/ oysters?? Or would that really mess up the flavors?

Just wondering!! (Always trying to find ways to get oysters in that I can tolerate for the zinc! If you ladies have any oyster ideas, LMK!)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 PM

smoked oysters. Though I'm working on how to eat them without crackers. Seafood bisque, seafood stirfry, seafood chowdah...yeah thats all I got
I ended up supplementing with zinc...and b vitamins. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm dealing with a long term B vitamin deficiency probably due to malabsorption (gluten intolerance maybe?) I always figured it was my thyroid, but now I'm not so sure. Too many symptoms look like a B vitamin deficiency.
Still waiting for the awesome surge of energy and hair turning dark... but its only been a week.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
What made this extreme? The chicken hearts!
Ok, I'm not extreme
How are the chopped chicken hearts in the ground beef? Noticable? We're trying to eat more organ meats over here and this sounds like a good idea. I've already tried grinding up calf's heart and adding it to ground beef and it worked really well, but it would be nice not to have to get out the meat grinder.

Also, your siggie made me LOL!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
How are the chopped chicken hearts in the ground beef? Noticable? We're trying to eat more organ meats over here and this sounds like a good idea. I've already tried grinding up calf's heart and adding it to ground beef and it worked really well, but it would be nice not to have to get out the meat grinder.

Also, your siggie made me LOL!
Not noticeable taste wise, just in looks(oldest noticed, commented and ate anyway ) And if your shepards pie is more shepards-piey..its a word!...then its harder to see the meat anyway. I made the mistake of just throwing the cauliflower on top without mashing. Still tasted good, just easier to the meat.

And thank you, but I still don't have a z-day plan.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM

I made my usual taco seasoned beef but instead of taco salad, I served it in a bake winter squash. Used delicata but acorn or butternut would be great too.

And the first time made beef stroganoff successfully - and in the crockpot too! Browned the meat the night before. Added chopped onions to crock, meat on top, poured some stock over it. Cooked for 6 hours on low.

Sauteed mushrooms, added cooked meat and onions to skillet. Added more beef stock and tried arrowroot powder for the first time. Worked great to make a nice gravy. Added sour cream. Served over cauliflower rice, which I also made for the first time. Even had leftovers for lunch.

Soooooooo good!!

Bonus: sneaked some cauliflower rice in with real rice for DS to eat. He loved it. Kept saying it was the best rice he'd ever had. We finally decided to tell him we added the cauliflower (he already likes brocolli) and he seemed ok with it.

Rhianna
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Ooooh also want to add that a farm near my house has it's season close out sale right after Halloween. I was able to go on the first day.

I got:
4 large acorn
6 delicata
4 spaghetti
3 butternut
6 large onions
3 large bell peppers
1 gallon apple cider

$20!!!

Rhianna
Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 PM

For shepherd's pie, I love delicata squash in lieu of potatoes on top. I definitely prefer it to cauliflower.

I peel and cube the delicata (and remove seeds). Boil til tender, drain. I mash with cream cheese (not so paleo I guess...), salt, garlic powder. No extra liquid or it gets too runny IMO. I actually prefer this to traditional potatoes on top. My DH doesn't really love squash but loves delicatas this way as do my kids.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
Ooooh also want to add that a farm near my house has it's season close out sale right after Halloween. I was able to go on the first day.

I got:
4 large acorn
6 delicata
4 spaghetti
3 butternut
6 large onions
3 large bell peppers
1 gallon apple cider

$20!!!

Rhianna
SWeet!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:

congratulations!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM

and ... WHOOOHOOO to extreme recipes!

My contribution from my good friend's blog:
Pumpking Stuffed with Everything Good (except I deleted the bread part!)

Ingredients:
•1 pumpkin, about 3 pounds
•Salt and freshly ground pepper
•¼ lb of a bread/grain subsitute (like rice or See notes below for other options!)
•¼ pound cheese, such as Gruyère, Emmenthal, cheddar, or a combination, cut into ½-inch chunks
•2–4 garlic cloves (to taste), split, germ removed, and coarsely chopped
•4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, and chopped
•About ¼ cup snipped fresh chives or sliced scallions
•1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
•About ⅓ cup heavy cream
•Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:
1.Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350F.
2.Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment, or find a Dutch oven with a diameter that's just a tiny bit larger than your pumpkin. If you bake the pumpkin in a casserole, it will keep its shape, but it might stick to the casserole, so you'll have to serve it from the pot—which is an appealingly homey way to serve it. If you bake it on a baking sheet, you can present it freestanding, but maneuvering a heavy stuffed pumpkin with a softened shell isn't so easy.
3.Using a very sturdy knife—and caution—cut a cap out of the top of the pumpkin (think Halloween Jack-o-Lantern). It's easiest to work your knife around the top of the pumpkin at a 45-degree angle. You want to cut off enough of the top to make it easy for you to work inside the pumpkin. Clear away the seeds and strings from the cap and from inside the pumpkin.
4.Season the inside of the pumpkin generously with salt and pepper, and put it on the baking sheet or in the pot.
5.Toss the bread subsitute (rice), cheese, garlic, bacon, and herbs together in a bowl. Season with pepper—you probably have enough salt from the bacon and cheese, but taste to be sure—and pack the mix into the pumpkin. The pumpkin should be well filled—you might have a little too much filling, or you might need to add to it.
6.Stir the cream with the nutmeg and some salt and pepper and pour it into the pumpkin. Again, you might have too much or too little—you don’t want the ingredients to swim in cream, but you do want them nicely moistened. (It's hard to go wrong here.)
7.Put the cap in place and bake the pumpkin for about 2 hours—check after 90 minutes—or until everything inside the pumpkin is bubbling and the flesh of the pumpkin is tender enough to be pierced easily with the tip of a knife. Because the pumpkin will have exuded liquid, I like to remove the cap during the last 20 minutes or so, so that the liquid can bake away and the top of the stuffing can brown a little.
8.When the pumpkin is ready, carefully, very carefully—it's heavy, hot, and wobbly—bring it to the table or transfer it to a platter that you'll bring to the table.
Notes:
I skipped the nutmeg on accident, but it still came out really tasty. Keep in mind a 3 pound pumpkin is pretty small, you may need to double the recipe for a "normal" sized pumpkin.

Some suggestions from the bottom of the original recipe:
Instead of bread, I've filled the pumpkin with cooked rice—when it's baked, it's almost risotto-like. And, with either bread or rice, on different occasions I've added cooked spinach, kale, chard, or peas (the peas came straight from the freezer). I’ve made it without bacon (a wonderful vegetarian dish), and I’ve also made it and loved, loved, loved it with cooked sausage meat; cubes of ham are also a good idea. Nuts are a great addition, as are chunks of apple or pear or pieces of chestnut.

This is on my to-make list this month and sounds very yummy! My friend has never let me down with any of the recipes he posts so this is a good one ladies!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Simple Kale – side dish

Remove leafy part of stem, stack, roll and cut leaves in thin julien strips. Wash. Add wet kale to pan and cook over medium heat. The steam will help cook it quicker. As it wilts, add butter and garlic to pan. Add a squeeze of lemon. When kale is tender it’s done!

Enjoy!

Rhianna
Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 AM

Rhianna, love the recipe's simplicity and also your great veggie bargain. We've been enjoying the winter squash lately.

FairyRae, that sounds like how we are actually eating because I use a little rice and some potatoes. They seem very nonreactive for us and handy. Like I made pancakes with 50% rice and 50% almond flour. (Still did grain free cookies this week, too, and like our primal meals.) I thought I was getting too laid back with the diet to be posting here. Nevertheless as we figure out what works for us I am still extremely thrilled with the results of the overall diet with our ds!

This recipe is grain free but not primal. It is extreme only because my ds invented it himself after helping me in the kitchen with dinner extremely functionally which is also really darn amazing. It is based on a pasta meal we used to have regularly.

2 cup peas (ours were steamed)
3 grated carrots
1/2 can chick peas
splash olive oil
3 T mayonnaise (approx.)
3 T gluten free soy sauce (approx.)
1/2 of a small jar artichoke hearts (optional--we did not use these tonight but we sometimes did in the pasta recipe this came from and it's super tasty)

mix soy sauce and mayonnaise until smooth-set aside
combine peas and carrots in serving dish, add oil and artichoke hearts if desired
mix in sauce

The bit of extra sauce was nice for the almond flour/pecan meal chicken nuggets we had alongside.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM

ok, ds is almost 10 weeks old and i need to start cooking again. and eating better. hopefully this recipe thread will help. i know i have cooked many a tasty meal in the past, but i can't think of anything to cook right now!! for the past couple months we've been eating out of the freezer (and we are all sick of lasagna, etc) or quick stuff like tj's orange chicken. and when i try to think of ideas for a low carb meal, my mind goes blank. i also think i need to count carbs again for awhile to help me get back on track.

here's what i ate yesterday, pretty typical of my diet lately:

b- 1/2 pkg of ramen noodles cooked in chicken broth with 2 eggs, garlic, herbs. (i've eaten this every morning for the past week). juice kefir to swallow my liver pills and vitamins.

L- hotdogs (no bun) dipped in bbq sauce, baby carrots, tangerines

s- 2 pieces beef jerkey, 1/2 lara bar, 1/2 luna bar, macadamias, dark chocolate

d- tj orange chicken, brown rice, salad with romaine, goat cheese, green onions, cranberries.

s- 1/2 cup coconut milk icecream, cookie dough flavor

i need to come up with a general outline, it really helped in the beginning. before it was b- veggie omelet, L- big salad, d- meat and cooked veggie. i'm feeling rather sick of eggs lately. but i feel so much better all day when i eat them for bkfst. gotta think of a new way of disguising them. i think i'll do bkfst quesadillas using sprouted tortillas (not grain free but i'm ok with it), scrambled eggs, pancetta, cheese, hot sauce. hmm how could i vary it? veggies? avocado, spinach, what else? not bell peppers, i don't like them and they don't like me.   then there's lunch. we've been eating lots of tj's chicken strips lately. i've considered making my own with almond meal, but haven't. ya know, i should just buy some frozen chicken breast tenderloins to make making the strips easy. because clearly i'm not going to cut up a whole chicken to do it. do you fry yours? bake them? the nice thing about the frozen ones is being able to just throw them in the oven and then walk away. standing over a frying pan while holding a 2mo baby in the other hand is not easy or very safe. i haven't been in the mood for salad for lunch, too cold. but if i ate it with hot chicken strips, then it would be ok. i jsut need something hot. i need another protein option for variety, hmm... as for dinner, i'm thinking roasting: pot roast, roast chicken, and need to experiment with roasting veggies. i know i like broccoli roasted, what else? all i can think of is starchy veg: potatoes, yams, carrots, beets. what do you roast? also, at a recent visit to my inlaws, ds discovered cauliflower. he really likes it, so i'm thinking of trying one of these cauliflower instead of potatoes/rice recipes i keep hearing of.

ok enough rambling. mostly talking to myself...

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM

4 dates, pits removed
1 1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 – 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grind dates in the food processor until a paste forms, about 40 seconds. Add walnuts and pecans and blend until very finely chopped, about 35 seconds. Add baking soda and salt and pulse a few more times.

Warm the coconut oil so it is in liquid form. With the food processor running, drizzle it into the batter with the egg and vanilla. Stop mixing as soon as the egg and oil are blended in.

Scrape the batter into a bowl and stir in coconut and chocolate chips by hand. The dough will be sticky and wet. Drop 12 portions of the dough onto a cookie sheet, then flatten slightly with your fingers.

Bake 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.

I made these cookies from MDA and they are so yum!  I love them!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

I made those cookies too!! i even used unsweetened chocolate for the chips and it was still sooooo good!!! I posted this in the other thread but thought I would repost it for this "Recipe" thread!

Fudgesicles:

1- 1 1/2 c. mashed avocado

1/2-1 c. coconut milk

7-8 dates

vanilla

1/4 c. cacao powder

Blend in a food processor or vitamix and freeze in popsicle molds! YUM!

So, I am challenging myself for 10 days to stay below 100 grams of carbs a day. Kind of really difficult! Here is my chart from FitDay since Monday when I started. Blue is fat, pink is carbs and yellow is protein. I am thinking maybe I am eating too little protein?

Fat, carb protein.png

Yay for being able to add pictures!! wink1.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

Toolip - those cookies sound great! I am going to try them out sometime.

Rhi~

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Oooh those cookies do look good!  And just in time for the holidays! yippee!  Toolip - love the fudgesicle recipe too.  yummy.gif  I think per the graph it looks like your carbs & protien intake are almost the same.   The protien is a bit low, and I would up that along with lots of leafy greens to balance for clear digestive passage.  

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Yeah, that is kind of what what I was thinking about the graph too. Thanks for the input!! smile.gif Having a hard time being able to afford meat and greens right now... They should be inexpensive, but here on Kauai, they are kind of pricey at the moment. But, we are doing out very best!!!

Have a random question for you all (as I always do)... My husband has gotten two fevers in the last 2 months, and I am wondering if it could be related to eating this way/detoxing or if it is something else entirely. I assumed that he just isn't getting enough sleep for his active job. But just curious if any one else has experienced this. (He and my 11 month old daughter seem to have been getting fevers one right after the other these last few times. It's weird cause I am assuming my daughters' are teething fevers, since we just let them be and they disappear, but maybe not. Why would my husband "catch" a teething fever? LOL! smile.gif )

Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post

then there's lunch. we've been eating lots of tj's chicken strips lately. i've considered making my own with almond meal, but haven't. ya know, i should just buy some frozen chicken breast tenderloins to make making the strips easy. because clearly i'm not going to cut up a whole chicken to do it. do you fry yours? bake them? the nice thing about the frozen ones is being able to just throw them in the oven and then walk away. standing over a frying pan while holding a 2mo baby in the other hand is not easy or very safe. i haven't been in the mood for salad for lunch, too cold. but if i ate it with hot chicken strips, then it would be ok. i jsut need something hot. i need another protein option for variety, hmm... as for dinner, i'm thinking roasting: pot roast, roast chicken, and need to experiment with roasting veggies. i know i like broccoli roasted, what else? all i can think of is starchy veg: potatoes, yams, carrots, beets. what do you roast? also, at a recent visit to my inlaws, ds discovered cauliflower. he really likes it, so i'm thinking of trying one of these cauliflower instead of potatoes/rice recipes i keep hearing of.

re: homemade chicken tenders

I've made these almond crusted, BAKED chicken nuggets a few times and they come out pretty good (sometimes better than others...play with herbs to really give flavor).  I just baked a huge batch and froze them to heat up later.  I use thighs...our farmer sells them deboned and I just pull the skin off (and cook separate...yum salted chicken skin chips!).  I just cut the thighs into similar sized pieces and go from there. 

re: lunches

grilled chicken leftovers reheated and added to or on the side of the salad??

salmon salad or salmon patties (maybe these could be baked??  what about in a little dish instead of a patty?)

make a big pot of chili and reheat for lunch...add chopped red onion, jalapenos, cheese, yogurt/sour cream, etc to dress it up and vary flavor from bowl to bowl

meatballs (these and these are good and reside in my freezer for reheating)

fried egg on salad is good...especially when runny and on something like arugula (runny egg = dressing)

ds1 and I deviled eggs today and I forgot how much I love them...you can add avocado for some or all of the mayo - we love the color, flavor, and fats in that!

re: cauliflower/roasted veg

I LOVE to roast or pan fry cauliflower florets!!  If you buy frozen cauliflower florets, you can just put them on a greased baking sheet, drizzle with fat and sea salt and roast at 400, stirring occasionally until browned.  Carrots, onions, asparagus and brussels sprouts are also good roasted...and I bet green beans would be good (lightly steam first I think or use thawed frozen). 

For onions I prefer to cook practically whole rather than chopped...red onions go great with lots of butter and balsamic vinegar drizzled on them (cut off root and top enough to remove skin, cut from top to bottom NOT cutting through the internal root base...make the 'flower' sections with fourths or sixths, NOT all the way to awesome blossum thin strips!...drizzle with balsamic and stuff in some butter...pecan chunks are optional...bake until soft and sweet, basting as needed).

Tonight I cut a large head of cauliflower into similar sized florets (about grape-sized) and pan fried in plenty of butter (and a little bacon grease b/c it looked dry and we love the flavor) with garlic, sea salt and pepper.  When it was soft (I don't like raw cauliflower) I sprinkled on some Parmesean and let it melt on.  YUM!!  I also love this with more flavors like fresh tarragon and bacon pieces...yummy.gif

re: quick and easy survival entrees

1) you can put a whole chicken (frozen as long as it's empty) with sea salt into the crockpot and cook all day...very tender and it releases enough water to cook. 

2) chicken or pork diplomat: layer chicken or pork and separated onion slices in crockpot or baking dish, pour in some watered down mayo (or thin with stock) and top with cheese (the mayo separates so it'll be pretty greasy in the bottom but AMAZINGLY tender and delicious)

3) soup...this Tom Kha Gai soup looks easy and delicious

4) Stuffed butternut squash with sausage and apples  (The Joy of Cooking)  

I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in butter and added those this time, too...YUM.  Here are the basics off the cuff...I don't really use recipes anyway so if you're like me, you can go from this basic outline:

1. split and empty squash
  2. bake cut side down in pan with water until tender 45-1hr?
  3. break up and cook bulk breakfast sausage, set aside in big bowl
  4. chop up an apple or two into small bites, (optional) sautee lightly in butter, add to bowl
  5. sautee optional veg: onions, mushrooms, etc, add to meat
  6. scoop out flesh, leaving enough to keep walls sturdy, add flesh to meat
  7. stir just enough to mix (leaving some bit-sized chunks of squash)
  8. mix in sea salt, pepper, thyme, sage, etc
  9. taste and add butter if needed (the recipe called for adding brown sugar but I leave it out)
  10. stuff the squash shells
  11. (optional) drizzle with thin lines of molasses and/or chopped pecans
  12. bake about an hour until heated through

Cut into large pieces to serve and people should trim off just the skin and eat the stuffing plus the layer you left in the squash.  Great with a salad on the side.  This makes a lot, is really decadent and full of fall flavors.  Reheats beautifully or enjoy cold.  BTW, you can use tart apples or mild apples depending on preference.  You can also make this a bit spicy with red pepper flakes, but then my kids won't eat it. :)

I hope this helps!  Congrats again,

Whitney

edited to add: don't forget baked fruit!  baked peaches are sublime (you can use the frozen slices for ease, add pats of butter, bake from frozen, stir once to distribute that melted butter)...pears, apples, bananas, and even berries (though I just love those too much fresh!)

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM

I haven't posted on here in forever, just because I have been pre-occupied with hs'ing.  Plus, eating has been pretty boring, however recently I have felt the urge to cook something more exciting than steak salad and hamburgers.  Loving all the recipes here, hope to try some of them out. 

Congratulations to Suzi on the baby- that is exactly what my last baby weighed!!

I have started a blog and have a few recipes posted including a kick-butt grain-free wrap that is easy and yummy.  The blog is very unpolished, but hopefully someone enjoys some of the recipes.

http://balancingtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Definitely need to stick to the grain free this pregnancy I think. The nausea is gone, but I'm only 16 weeks and every time I eat grain, I get bloated, burpy and heart-burny. I was like that the last pregnancy, but didn't think to eliminate grains! Today I had some(okay, a lot) of my son's GF pretzels and have been gassy and burpy ever since. One thing I will splurge on is some gluten free pizza from BJ's Brewhouse, and just deal with it, because I've been waiting for awhile for them to come out with a gluten free menu. But yeah for the most part, avoiding grains. Hubby hasn't complained too much and has actually liked the rice and pasta substitute dishes I've made, so yay! DS is a little iffy but he's doesn't eat many grains anyway, and he's only 2 so he still eats a variety of what we eat. He hasn't hit that picky age yet!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

User Tag List