need expert advice on soaking seeds and nuts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are so many ways recommended to soak seeds and nuts but I am not sure what the best way is. This is what I have figured out from my readings on the subjects. In order to make nuts as fully digestible as possible, they should be sprouted too. But, once they are sprouted does this mean that the anti-nutrients (can't remember the right name) are neutralized also? I think so. So, here is my take on the whole matter. Please give your 2 cents and why.

Going from best to worst methods.
1. soak, sprout, dehydrate.
2. soak NT style with salt and then dehydrate
3. roast seeds
4. soak to soften for a couple hours

How would you rank these methods. You see, between NT style and raw food style there is a lot of info. out there on which is best. A lot of recipes I see just call for a couple hour soak, this can't be good. But what do you think?
Thank You.
#2 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 PM

I think it depends. A couple hours at a high temp (140F ) soak would be better, I think, than just roasting. But in general I agree with your assessment - I have come to the conclusion after a few years of reading different perspectives and research that soaking to the sprout stage is right for us.
#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM

How does one go about soaking nuts until they sprout?  How long does it normally take?  I've just been soaking overnight in salted water and then toasting them in the oven at 150*F until they are dry.  I usually get macadamia nuts, brazil nuts or pepitas.  Thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What is NT style?

I agree with that order... and squeeze in velcromom's entry in between 2 & 3.  Then, I would put Sieren's "soak overnight" just before velcromom's

But, between 1 & 2 (not knowing what NT stands for), I would add:

Germinate nuts for 48 hours (seeds for 24 hours) & dehydrate.

Don't forget to change the water during germination.

The soaking/germinating for a couple hours is probably for texture... a softer smoother nut leads to a smoother spread.

Sprouting a tail about 1/4-1/2 inch long (est.) gives you a more nutrient dense nut/seed.

The "anti-nutrients" you are referring to are enzyme inhibitors.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#5 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM

It depends on the type of nuts too and how long you have to saok them. I agree about the sprouting part they claim it is more digestible.

Worlds Best Mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page