Liver and Onions for dinner tonight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am wanting to make this for the first time tonight.  The only recipes I can find have flour in them.  I don't want to use that.  For soups and things I use arrowroot powder as a substitue but I don't know what I would use to substitute in this case.  HELP!!

hippie.gifmom to DS 9/8/8 sleepytime.gif, married to my best friend since 10/15/05 love.gif, asl.gif,lactivist.gif, After TTC #2 for a really long time we're expecting #2 in December!  Hope to h20homebirth.gif, Doula in the Indianapolis area, PM me if you want to talk!

#2 of 6 Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any flour substitute would work, I would think.  I just use flour since it's such a small amount, personally.

#3 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM

I use either sprouted flour, or Pamela's baking mix that I use for pancakes. smile.gif

#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM

I use arrowroot to bread my liver!  It works wonderfully.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM

I have never heard of breaded liver. How did that happen? :)

We had liver today too (our big meal is at lunch), and I made it with onions and bacon fried in lots of butter, and then added the liver and more butter, then once cooked, salt, garlic and chopped fresh rosemary for minute or two in the hot pan. I like it cooked long, until the onions are carmelised, the bacon is crispy and bits of crispy stuff sticks to the dark brown liver pieces. Yummmmmm. :)

We ate the liver from the pig we fed on our food scraps all summer and autumn. I was so pleased that it was so perfect and healthy! My dc and I just looked at it and touched it for a while before I chopped it up. It was so purdee. :)

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#6 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM

This thread makes me want liver and onions!  eat.gif  Although I did have onions with my turkey sausage patties for breakfast this morning. winky.gif

For what it's worth, I don't bread my liver either. Just a bit of bacon fat or olive oil in the pan and sear the liver for a few minutes. I then remove it from the pan and cook the onions until brown and caramelized. I hadn't thought about putting bacon in the pan too. That's a good idea. thumb.gif

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page