TF friendly granola bar recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have one? Before I discovered TF I was using this one: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/granolabars.htm  but I'm not sure what i need to change to make it TF. (well, using butter is obvious) Is oatmeal TF friendly? Ugh, I SO need to buy Nourishing Traditions...:lol

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 8 Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM

lurk.gif

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#3 of 8 Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Here is a good recipe for TF granola bars http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/2008/09/23/granola-bars/ 

mother, wife, lover of life.
#4 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Oatmeal should be soaked to be concidered a nurishing food.

mother, wife, lover of life.
#5 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post

Oatmeal should be soaked to be concidered a nurishing food.

Subbing for recipe too!

We soak our oat meal for our breakfast but according to matks daiky apple, he says that oats still have all the phytic acid after 24 hours soaking.  Ugg. 

#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Okay, I'm new to TFs, so I don't know if this qualifies or not, but these are best granola bars I've made yet.  Even my picky hubby loved them :)

I didn't measure much, so these are guesstimates :)

5 cups almonds

2 cups peanut butter (or any nut butter)

1 cup melted butter (or coconut oil)

1.5 cups honey (or your fave liquid sweetener)

2 cups oatmeal (not soaked...it was an impulse recipe)

1.5 cups raisins (or any dried fruit)

3/4 mini choc. chips (optional)

Heat oven to 350*

Put the almonds in the food processor and process until the texture of coarse sand.  In a large bowl mix the almonds, pb, butter, and honey.  Add the oatmeal, raisins, and choc. chips and mix thoroughly.  Press into a 9x13" pan and bake for 30ish minutes or until the edges are golden brown.  Cool completely on wire rack.  You can cut and freeze these too :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#7 of 8 Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
JMJ

I think the tricky part is how to soak oats and then still get them to work in a granola bar.  The almonds would also need to be soaked or skinless or both to be TF, and it's hard to find TF chocolate chips.  They would need to be soy free.  I wonder if you could modify this to make a TF granola bar substitute.  Maybe add some extra maple syrup and/or nut butter?

#8 of 8 Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 PM

It is my understanding that rolled oats are all heated during processing, which renders inactive the enzymes that would have decreased the phytates during soaking. So no point in soaking rolled oats. I have heard that while soaking oats it is good to include a grain that is high in phytase since they are naturally low in it, but I have not seen any research about whether that means it can do any good in the case of rolled oats. Of course if you have the ability to roll your own oats, you can sprout/soak them as the whole grain first then dehydrate and roll them, and you could then make granola or whatever with them as is. It's pretty easy to sprout & dehydrate, & if you do large batches then you need not go through the process very often.

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page