Continuous brew water kefir? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really just getting into ferments, etc, but I've been doing non-dairy milk kefir for about a week. Already I find it tedious to strain and start over every day. I am getting some water kefir grains soon (thank you Pat!) and I think this is going to be a pain. And I know my children will be more likely to drink it liberally if it's readily on tap. I have 5 kids and 3 adults in the house, so I think we could go through a large enough amount quickly. We're also trying kombucha very soon, too, though. When researching kombucha I came across the continuous brew method and I LOVE it! I;m thinking this would work great for water kefir, with just some removal of the grains when they get too high for the spigot.

I came across this old locked thread and I'm trying to revive it to see if anyone has done this and can comment on its effectiveness?

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/619106/continuous-brew-water-kefir

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#2 of 6 Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 AM

Subbing as I would love to hear how this goes!

#3 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

FYI, I've been doing the continuous brew water kefir for months now and it's working awesomely. Every now and then the spout gets clogged up and I run a pipe cleaner through it. Otherwise, it's great. My kitchen is not very warm (whole house is around 70 all day and 65 at night) so they aren't growing/reproducing fast, but they're working great and we're getting good kefir from it. I highly recommend.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#4 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Would you please post some further information about your continuous brew water kefir? I am just learning about the continuous brew aspect of both kombucha and WK, and am very interested. I have slowed down a bit in my consumption b/c sometimes it is just a nuisance to 'do the duty'. Thanks for your help!

#5 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sure. We ended up getting fruit flies in our wk and pitched it. I saved the grains and froze them, hoping that would kill any eggs that might be in there. We will be moving in a few weeks and I just gave it up until after we move. Then I will deal with it.

It worked very well. I had it in a big glass beverage dispenser. About once a week I would pour in some new water and sugar and give it a little stir. That was it. I was making ginger water kefir in flip top bottles weekly from it. It was awesome. And could literally not have been simpler. Ask me any questions you might have, and GL!

#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 PM

I haven't been able to find any specific water to sugar ratio's for the continuous water kefir brew.  The instructions I have found only say to add "sugar water".  Could you tell me what your sugar to water ratio is?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page