all those excess kefir grains!! Ideas and uses for them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got some new water kefir grains from Pat (you're the greatest!).  Anyway, they are growing so fast and  it is already the second feed.  Oh it is getting to be too much for me.  I am sharing them all around local using freecycle.  So besides sharing them, what can I do with them?  Can I eat them, and what benificial or harmful effect will it have on me?  I am wondering if I can place them in my compost and add a sweetener to the top of my compost and have the grains grow and culture the soil?  Will this work?

Any ideas?

#2 of 5 Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 PM

I blend the extra grains in the magic bullet  with the kefir and frozen fruits and then add some rapurdura or honey and blend some more.  It's a super probiotic shake!  Also, I like to keep some either frozen or 'holding' in the fridge in case something happens to my active grains.  Mine grow fast too... I sometimes thrown 1tbs. worth of grains every other day!!

I'm curious to see the other responses!

#3 of 5 Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

Any ideas?

send me some?!  LOL

No idea about the compost, but I am very curious if anyone has any experience with that. 

#4 of 5 Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Cats love them.  We have outdoor cats that get my extras.

#5 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM

I would quite HAPPILY take some water kefir grains! :)

As it's already been said, they can be eaten, and yes, I've heard of people throwing them into the compost bin.

I had no idea cats liked them!  We have 5 in our house.

But seriously, I'm looking for milk & water kefir grains (and a kombucha SCOBY); I'm just "coming back" to traditional food eating after losing my way for about 5 years.  So if anyone has extras I would happily send some cash/money order to cover the cost of shipping & packaging!  Seriously, while I have good luck with Kombucha SCOBYs, I don't always do so great with Kefir grains, so the more the merrier! *LOL*

I made a "wanted" post on craigslist for some SCOBYs, but freecycle is a good idea too - I'll have to check them out as well; see if anyone in my area has any up for grabs.

~Brendalee, who was a member of MDC a long time ago & trying to find her way back...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page