Anyone starting eat fat, lose fat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone is planning on starting the Eat Fat, Lose Fat weight loss for the new year.  If there's a few of us, maybe we can start a support/chat thread.

#2 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 PM

I've been eating the Sally Fallon/Nourishing Traditions way for a few years, but not consistently enough to actually lose weight. I have a really high insulin resistance, so eating anything with carbs/sugars really sets me back. This week, though, I've made a commitment to be really gung ho and in the last four days I've already lost 5 pounds. :)

Have your read Nourishing Traditions, too?

#3 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Yes, I am! I just bought the book last week. I made coconut chicken soup for lunch today, from one of the recipes...it was so good! As a family, we have been weaning onto a TF diet- but Im going to follow the Eat Fat, Lose Fat program.

#4 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

LL, yes, I do own NT as well :)  Do you have Eat Fat, Lose Fat, too?  It's written by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig as well!  It's the same principals but focuses more on the coconut foods and losing weight.

MT, we've also been weaning over to NT, I think part of the point of the EFLF diet is to get you comfortable with NT concepts and preparations. 

Anyway, I'm working on clearing out the "bad" foods in the kitchen and I need to get some things, like cod liver oil.  I won'thave money for food until the 4th, so I won't officially start till around then.

#5 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Yep, I do have Eat Fat, Lose Fat. I fry my morning eggs in coconut oil because of it! :) I really tried to eat the straight coconut oil before every meal, but I just couldn't do it. I love the smell, but not the taste. My husband could eat it by the spoonful, though. He loves the stuff.

Right now I'm just following what NT says to eat for trying to conceive :)

#6 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I know what you mean!  The virgin coconut oil smells so great, but BLEH!  Doesn't taste so great right out of the jar.  I've been putting some in with RRL tea and a little raw honey and it's much more palatable that way.

#7 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm thinking about it... not sure if I can fully commit, though, time- and energy-wise (I do in-home childcare so I've got 3 girls 3 and under with me most of the time... it's hard to get much done).  When I glanced through the book it struck me as a pretty intense, time-consuming thing to do.  What do you all think?

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#8 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 AM

It *can* be time consuming. When I got the book I did follow it to the letter for about a month. What I ended up doing, though, is prepping everything on Sunday. I made all the soups, I cooked all the chicken and veggies or salmon I was going to have for lunches and put it all into serving size containers. It made my life a lot easier. And any left overs we had from dinner went with DH for his lunch. 

I don't follow this 'diet' to the letter anymore, but I do incorporate a lot of what I've learned. I've been really strict this week (easier now that the holidays are over!) and I've lost another two pounds in addition to the five I mentioned earlier.

I do prepare foods much like Sally Fallon suggests in Nourishing Traditions, and I feel I spend about two to three hours in the kitchen per day - give or take. I do some fermenting, I do some soaking, I do some culturing, and then I prepare every meal. But, I'm a housewife (hoping to get promoted to SAHM this year!!) so I've got a lot of time to play. :)

#9 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

It does look pretty time consuming, so I'm using store-bought stuff when possible to help out with that.  Like I can get lacto-fermented condiments and homemade kombucha from the health food store, so I'll be using those instead of making my own (even though they're pricey :/)  But I think a lot of things don't take so much time, just some fore thought.  Like soaking grains isn't really time consuming, you just need to think ahead to make sure you give them enough soak time before using.  I'm also a SAHM, so the time thing isn't too bad for me.

#10 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Yowza--two to three hours in the kitchen?  I guess I did do that fairly often when I just had Willow to watch.  There's no way I could do that now.  Too bad, because I do like the principles in EFLF.  I'm thinking I might end up just having to do something more like Weight Watchers, though, just because I can use foods that are much more quick to prepare. I wonder how reasonable TF is for families who don't either have a really good income (so they can buy things like pre-made kombucha and ferments), or a SAHM. 

#11 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 AM

I completely agree!  I make the majority of our meals from scratch/whole foods, despite being a FT working mom and my partner going to work at night leaving me alone for the play/dinner/bath/bed crunch... but it seems so daunting to me to *add* anything to my routine since we're just barely holding it together as it is.  During the summers I have off and I can take the time-- this past summer my partner and I went vegan for the summer.  I spent so much time in the kitchen!

#12 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM

I've actually found a traditional diet to be cheaper. I buy everything in single ingredients - nothing is pre-made or pre-packaged. We were snowed in a few weeks ago and had to go to Safeway to buy all of our food and the bill for a weeks worth of groceries was considerably more than I usually spend going to Whole Foods and a specialty butcher. 

For me, planning is a key thing. I plan on Sunday exactly what we'll eat for the week. Then I only buy that much food. I also make sure I eat before I go to the grocery, otherwise I end up buying stuff I don't need just because it looks good and I'm hungry!!

I think to make it work you have to do research to see where you can get the highest quality foods for the best price in your area. For me, I buy eggs from a lady who has a flock (found her on craigslist): so they are farm fresh, and about half the price of grocery store eggs. I buy raw milk from a co-op, so it's about $5 less a gallon than buying it at the store. I get our meat from a butcher in our area that sells only organic, local, grassfed, ect meats. Because all they sell is meat and just have a small butcher shop, they are able to provide their excellent food at a good price. It's not *cheap* (ground beef, for example, is $7.99 a pound), but I only buy what we'll use that week, so that makes it manageable each week. The rest of our food I buy at Whole Foods. Their 365 organics brand is not much more expensive than other store brands.

So I spend quite a bit of my time and energy each week getting our food and preparing it, but I love doing it and I love how I feel when we really commit to it.

#13 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM

i might have to get this book...

mama to one '07 and one '09
#14 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM
L J

I just ordered this book. I read Atkins years ago, and everything he said made sense to me. Then, I recently read South Beach and was turned on to a low carb community much like Mothering. From there, I found Marks Daily Apple and Weston A. Price and I have been trying to follow these principals of eating and preparing food as much as possible. My family has eliminated all sugar and flour from our diet, and we are all noticing positive changes. We eat high fat and high protein and lots of dark green veggies. I am looking very forward to reading this book and seeing how it falls in with everything I have already learned and started doing.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#15 of 94 Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I just ordered this book. I read Atkins years ago, and everything he said made sense to me. Then, I recently read South Beach and was turned on to a low carb community much like Mothering. From there, I found Marks Daily Apple and Weston A. Price and I have been trying to follow these principals of eating and preparing food as much as possible. My family has eliminated all sugar and flour from our diet, and we are all noticing positive changes. We eat high fat and high protein and lots of dark green veggies. I am looking very forward to reading this book and seeing how it falls in with everything I have already learned and started doing.

care to elaborate? innocent.gif

mama to one '07 and one '09
#16 of 94 Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post

I wonder how reasonable TF is for families who don't either have a really good income (so they can buy things like pre-made kombucha and ferments), or a SAHM. 

Haha!  Well, don't be fooled, we do NOT have a good income.  In fact, it's so bad right now (dh lost his job Jan '10 and is working part time now) that we're on foodstamps.  We're just very lucky that a local health food store takes them.

#17 of 94 Old 01-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Yes, I'm in! I was really excited to see this thread! I used my Borders gift card a few weeks ago and bought the EFLF book. I had read it several times from the library and finally decided I wanted my own copy. I've been slowly converting our way of eating to TF since summer, and had decided Jan 1 was the day I am going to buckle down and really try to follow EFLF. My biggest personal challenge is cutting out the sweets that I so desire.

Looking forward to getting to know everybody and sharing ideas!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#18 of 94 Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

I've actually found a traditional diet to be cheaper. I buy everything in single ingredients - nothing is pre-made or pre-packaged. We were snowed in a few weeks ago and had to go to Safeway to buy all of our food and the bill for a weeks worth of groceries was considerably more than I usually spend going to Whole Foods and a specialty butcher. 

For me, planning is a key thing. I plan on Sunday exactly what we'll eat for the week. Then I only buy that much food. I also make sure I eat before I go to the grocery, otherwise I end up buying stuff I don't need just because it looks good and I'm hungry!!

I think to make it work you have to do research to see where you can get the highest quality foods for the best price in your area. For me, I buy eggs from a lady who has a flock (found her on craigslist): so they are farm fresh, and about half the price of grocery store eggs. I buy raw milk from a co-op, so it's about $5 less a gallon than buying it at the store. I get our meat from a butcher in our area that sells only organic, local, grassfed, ect meats. Because all they sell is meat and just have a small butcher shop, they are able to provide their excellent food at a good price. It's not *cheap* (ground beef, for example, is $7.99 a pound), but I only buy what we'll use that week, so that makes it manageable each week. The rest of our food I buy at Whole Foods. Their 365 organics brand is not much more expensive than other store brands.

So I spend quite a bit of my time and energy each week getting our food and preparing it, but I love doing it and I love how I feel when we really commit to it.

So true!  I actually did all that research and I know where to get all the stuff.  I just haven't found the time to go get it all (it's spread out in a three-hour-ish radius from where I live).  One of these days I'll just buckle down and make a huge master list and map and schedule and see how much time it would actually take to gather all the food from the various sources, and then factor in gas costs as well, and see if I'm better off going directly to the sources, or paying a bit of mark-up and getting it from local speciality places.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone does on this plan.  I'm hoping it'll inspire me to buckle down and do it myself!

#19 of 94 Old 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I started Paleo in mid-October and am pregnant now. love.gif Considering my infertility history, I was stunned to see those two lines. Good luck!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#20 of 94 Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

Quote:

I started Paleo in mid-October and am pregnant now. love.gif Considering my infertility history, I was stunned to see those two lines. Good luck!

That's wonderful!  Congratulations!

There seems to be a decent amount of interest!  Would you like me to start an official thread, or just chat on this one for now?

#21 of 94 Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

Quote:

Woohoo!! Congrats to you!!

So, tell me... did you eat organ meats?? I've been trying to incorporate them, but I'm having a heard time. I'd love to NOT be eating them.... but I also want the nutrition they provided. :)

#22 of 94 Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

I am excited to report that I just successfully completed my first-ever batch of lacto-fermented sauerkraut...and it tastes good!!! Really easy, too...dh chopped cabbage while I measured out salt and caraway seed, kids helped me pound it, stuffed it in a jar, and forgot about it for three days. Now to see if my family will eat it!   ;)  I have a fridge full of LF pickles I did this summer and so far they've gotten mixed reviews from everyone but me!

I'm very excited about LF veggies, because I've found one of the keys for me to stick with this way of eating is to make sure I have all the available food I need, in a very accessible form, that doesn't take too long to prepare. Otherwise I tend to slide back into eating the way I grew up, which wasn't stellar.

Since this is a weight loss thread of sorts, I was wondering if we wanted to do a "weigh in" of sorts to report progress? I weighed in on Saturday morning at 178 (ugh) and would like to get down to around 150 (I'm 5'2" and very heavily boned) so 28 lbs to go. I plan to weigh each Saturday morning.

On a random note, my sister gave me a journal today for tracking daily food and exercise, which I thought was providential because I hadn't told her I was starting this. I think it will be a really helpful tool.

Hope everyone has a great Monday! I'm off to do some meal planning for the upcoming week!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#23 of 94 Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm going to get this book at the library this week :D

I've been moving our diet to more TF in the last month after reading all about it on here, so thanks everyone.  I would like to lose 50lbs ultimately, but I'm going to go in 10lbs increments to help me with the process.  I'm also going to go thru the cupboards tonight and throw away the last of the junk from Christmas...

I'll update with my official starting weight tomorrow...I'm so excited!

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#24 of 94 Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Okay, I weighed myself this morning *sigh*  206 :(  I want to get down to 155ish

We can do it!!!

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#25 of 94 Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'll weight myself in the morning (and then have myself a good cry!)  Last time I weighed myself I had gained 3 pounds over Christmas and was around 236.  Blah.

Carolyn, grats on the sourkraut!

#26 of 94 Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM

I weigh 192, and am hoping to lose 30 pounds. Last spring I lost 18 pounds on WW (online plan), in 4 months...but also got very sick. I ate weight watchers "food", containing chemicals. Those little chocolate cakes just called out to me at the grocery store, as did Crystal light, ready "eggs" etc.Things I would never think of feeding my family, but for my weight loss plan I made an exception for myself.  All of the other dieters doing WW, also consumed these foods. Within the first month and a half I had chronic migraines, shooting nerve pains, even a speech issue. I have had "suspected M.S" for 11 years, and the WW plan/processed food seemed to cause a major flare up. Also, despite following the plan I plateaued. The weeks I cheated, I lost weight... I needed more calories. I'm looking forward to losing weight in a healthful way this time!

#27 of 94 Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my starting weight is 239!  That's including my holiday weight gain (3 pounds, better than usual!)  Gah.  I want to get down around 165, so I have a way to go.

Started phase one today!

#28 of 94 Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bump :)

Today was day 2 of phase one for me!  Doing fine, but the recommended 6tbsp of coconut oil a day is too much for me, I was horribly nauseous last night.  Apparently this isn't uncommon and your body needs to build up to the larger fat consumption, so I'm going to do 1/2 tbsp before each meal tomorrow and see how I feel.

#29 of 94 Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Can I join in.  I just started today so we will see how it goes, my husband isn't sold on the high fat lose weight thing, he needs to read the book, so I don't know how much encouragement I will be getting at home.  I was able to get down 5 tbsp of coconut oil today.  I tried several different ways of taking it, because eating it off the spoon makes me gag.  I tried in tea, hot water and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.  The grapefruit juice won by a landslide, it really cuts the oily taste in your mouth.  It totally curbed my appetite as well.  I just weighed myself this morning and I am at 193 at 5'9, I would like to get down to 155.  I am making my second batch of homemade yogurt and my saurkraut just got put in the fridge today, it's so yummy!  I fermented for 5 days instead of just 3.  I'm definately looking forward to wearing some smaller jeans.

#30 of 94 Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, herent!  I had to cut my coconut oil back (I tried 6 tbsp according to the guidelines the first couple of days) but it gave me an awful tummy ache.  So I cut it back to 1/2 tbsp before meals and now I'm trying to go up to 1tbsp.

Anyway, today is one week since I started, and I lost 3 pounds, eating an average of 2507 calories per day, with 61% coming from fat.  I'm nursing my 3 months old, so I will probably stay in phase 1 for awhile, I don't want to restrict too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page