Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

tittle pretty much explains it

#2 of 8 Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM

I do a very simple chicken. I brine it in water and a quarter cup of table salt, per America's Test Kitchen preferences, for a couple of hours. Then I wash and truss it, and put it in a large saucepan that's safe for the oven. I then season it with sea salt and cracked black pepper, and whatever other seasoning I like. Then it goes in the oven for about 45 min-1 hour at high heat-475 degrees approx. I don't have to baste it or add any extra fat-it just cooks in its own, and comes out with a very crispy skin, and plenty of juices on the bottom for gravy. Mmm mmm mmm!

Come ponder with me about food!
#3 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM

• Stick your hands between the skin & the flesh to loosen it.
  • Then, put some sprigs of herbs in between the skin and the flesh (if you have some - thyme, rosmeary). Put herbs in the central cavity as well
  • Rub some oil on the skin, then maybe a bit of salt.

Them roast it. Some people get fancy and put it at 210C for 20 minutes and then reduce them temperature to 180C. Others (like me) just keep it at 180 C longer.  

You can also scrub up some potatoes, prick them & rub the skins w/ some oil or butter and roast them along w/ the bird (put them in a bit earlier/  

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM

This, and I also 1/4 an onion, lemon, and sometimes an apple and place it inside the cavity along with sprigs of herbs.  I tend to keep it simple and rub the outside with oil, pepper, a little sea salt.  If I have time I might place herbs and butter between the skin and meat as PP described.

sometimes I use an oven bag as it keeps it very moist.  Or I just roast until the meat thermometer says it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

• Stick your hands between the skin & the flesh to loosen it.
  • Then, put some sprigs of herbs in between the skin and the flesh (if you have some - thyme, rosmeary). Put herbs in the central cavity as well
  • Rub some oil on the skin, then maybe a bit of salt.

Them roast it. Some people get fancy and put it at 210C for 20 minutes and then reduce them temperature to 180C. Others (like me) just keep it at 180 C longer.  

You can also scrub up some potatoes, prick them & rub the skins w/ some oil or butter and roast them along w/ the bird (put them in a bit earlier/  

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

My trick is bacon grease.  Of course, bacon fat is my secret for a LOT of things lol...

Like a pp suggested, I separate the skin from the muscle.  I mix some herbs and s&p with some bacon grease, and smear all that in under the skin, all the way back over the thighs and the legs too.  It's icky and sticky and gooey and fun.  :)

I've roasted low heat, high heat, with veggies, without, with onions or other stuffing in the cavity, and empty... even done it in the slow cooker.  I've always been happy with the results, so I'm not particularly devoted to one method over any other.  Just the bacon grease under the skin.  ;)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM

this is what i've been doing lately, or some variation of it.

put salt all over the chicken, add a bit of cayenne  and paprika and rub it in.

toss halved citrus inside, i have used both a lemon and when i was of of lemon  a small orange/mandarin/clementine.

cook at 450 for an hour and then 350 for 30-45 minutes.

tastes great, very crispy skin and it really doent get much  easier.

i made "fancier" roast chickens, but i wouldn't bother anymore.

also last time i cooked it breast down by complete accident but i  though it was nice that the breast got to sit in all the chicken  fat :)

: feminist mama to DD 04/08
#7 of 8 Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM

I marinade chicken in olive oil,salt,lemon and oregano and bake it in dutch oven with white and sweet potatoes, it's deliciuos this way.

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 AM

Cut the back out of it and smash it flat.  (Save the back for stock)  Salt and pepper both sides.  Slice 2 lemons paper thin, peel and all.  Lay lemons out on baking dish, place chicken on top skin side up.  Into pan put a drizzle of olive oil, some thyme leaves, about 10 cloves of crushed garlic, and a cup or so of white wine.  Roast at 375 for an hour or so.  This will give you the crispest skin all over you can imagine, and it makes it easy to portion, just quarter it.  Serve with the carmelized lemon slices.

The butterfly method is also the way to grill a whole chicken, hands down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page