Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in January 2011!!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 157 Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Noatmeal is the name in MDA's online recipe book. I don't actually know what is in that, but I think it is meant to be made stovetop, rather than baked, which I do. :)

I just use whatever we have around and mix it all together, lol. I used to make oatmeal squares for breakfast, so now I just bulk up the two main ingredients- bananas (6 medium) and eggs (10 med-lrg)- with whatever I have on hand. Flaked or shredded coconut work very well, but nut-meals would work just as well, I think. I have used cranberries, chopped apples, and in a pinch, I'd use shredded carrots, too. It's best, imo, with a mixture of crunchy/chewy and soft, so walnuts are nice with bananas and carrots. Adding dairy or coconut "milk/cream" to noatmeal would form a custard on top that I love, but ds3 refuses to eat it, so I don't do that anymore.

The ratio is whatever makes it somewhat solid before I put it in the oven... This may qualify as an "everything but the kitchen sink" recipe. :) I don't think you could make it not tasty unless there were too many eggs/too little other ingredients, and it came out like a fritatta with some fruit in it, which may or may not be nice. I never do recipes because I end up with so many substitutions that it ends up being not a recipe at all, but a food concept; these don't translate very well. lol.gif

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 157 Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Two recipes while I have a minute:

Chicken Chili Soup (adapted from Everydaypaleo.com.  I needed to add more carbs to the soup for my kiddos and my nursing self.  Here's the original recipe if you would like to see it:  http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/11/12/chicken-chili-soup/)

1 roasted chicken

1 onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 jalapeno or Fresno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced

1-2 large turnips

1-2 large carrots

2 – 4 oz cans of diced green chilis

4 cups chicken broth

2 tbsps olive oil

2 tsps ground cumin

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Black pepper to taste

Fresh cilantro, diced

Avocado, diced

In a large soup pan, sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeno together in the olive oil until the onions are tender.  Add the canned green chilis, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and black pepper.  Stir together and add the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, turn down to medium low, and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the meat from the roast chicken, the roasted turnips and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.  Serve with fresh cilantro and avocado.

I usually make 3x the recipe because it's so yummy and reheats well.  Make your own chicken stock the day before.  Roast 3 chickens, then after you have roasted the chickens, throw the turnips and the carrots in the chicken juice and roast those for 30 minutes.  Then add to the soup.  I think my elaborate technique makes for a long process but it makes one heck of a soup.

To give it some crunch, dice the jalepeno and add it to your bowl after the soup is done, along with the cilantro and avocado.

And a very easy one:

Indonesian Beef

3-4 lbs stew beef

3 cloves garlic

2 Tbls fresh ginger

1 Tbls curry powder

1 tsp turmeric

1 Tbls coriander

1/2 water (or better yet, broth of your choice)

2 green chilies or 1/2 tsp red pepper

2 Tbls lemongrass (I use fresh, but don't use too much)

2 Tbls tamrind

1 can coconut milk

Throw everything but the coconut milk in a pot and put in the oven (or slow cooker) for 4 hours on 325.  Add coconut milk toward the end of cooking.  Serve over cauliflower rice.  De-freakin-lish.

Menu this week:

Crab stuffed salmon (http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/12/crab-stuffed-salmon.html), japanese yam, roasted asparagus

Puerto rican beef (http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/09/22/puerto-rican-beef/)

Moroccan Chicken (from MDA) and spinach salad

Pot roast with root veggies and salad (from New Best Recipe)

Something with lamb

Garlic and rosemary roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli

Leftovers

#93 of 157 Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What are everyone's favorite Paleo related blogs?

#94 of 157 Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM

good question.  I've never followed a blog in my life ever....guess I'll lurk to find answers.  I visit MDA but I don't "follow" it.  Same for www.robbwolf.com

#95 of 157 Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM

I wound up making avocado mayo to serve with the tongue tonight - it was amazing!  Took the dish right over the top.  Usually I just serve cilantro mayo with the tongue, but WF had some really nice, perfectly ripe avocados today, so I picked up a few.  Decided to toss one into the FP, extra lemon and lime juice, plenty of salt.  It was amazing.  I used it as salad dressing tonight too, it could have stood to be thinned a bit for that, but yum!!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#96 of 157 Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 AM

I need HELP!!!  I am ready to stop being grain free and have been totally for a week without the ocasional brown rice splurge.   Since this change, I have felt way better in the imflamation department, but I feel crappy everywhere else.  My mouth hurts, i am gaining weight, my skin is horrible.  I wrote I was craving quinoa earlier, and I had a dream I was eating quoina and beet greens fried in beef fat and garlic last night.  Is that  sign?  This is so hard for me.  Help!!!

#97 of 157 Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 AM

What are you eating, and how much?  How long have you been strict with it? 

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#98 of 157 Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM

remember as you heal things are drive out.  Sounds like a good progression to me, but that doesn't mean you can't support it!  Are you taking cell salts or supporting detox in any way?

Gaining weight is interesting...can you talk more about that?  How much over what period of time?  My inclination is to say it's more water weight than anything as the inflammation shift (your body needs to compensate somehow.)  Usually it's first attempt is to dilute what's in the bloodstream, hence the excess water weight.  Not sure though.  Keep talking!

#99 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

What are you eating, and how much?  How long have you been strict with it? 

I was eating occasional brown rice but about a week ago, I went completely grain free.  A typical day of meal would be:

Pre breakfast- local apple, perhaps some homemade almond butter

B- 4 eggs fried in beef fat served with fried greens or homemade sprouts.  OR  sweet potato with sausage or fish and greens

L- mashed potatoes cooked in bone broth drizzled with olive oil  served with chicken, or beef served with steamed broccoli toped with dulse.

D-  soup with lots of veggies in bone broth with some beans or meat  (usually meat)

I eat huge portions as I loose weight fast usually and am extremely hungry.  Now I am gaining weight and am still hungrier than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

remember as you heal things are drive out.  Sounds like a good progression to me, but that doesn't mean you can't support it!  Are you taking cell salts or supporting detox in any way?

Gaining weight is interesting...can you talk more about that?  How much over what period of time?  My inclination is to say it's more water weight than anything as the inflammation shift (your body needs to compensate somehow.)  Usually it's first attempt is to dilute what's in the bloodstream, hence the excess water weight.  Not sure though.  Keep talking!

I have been taking calc fluor, calc phos, and silica every day for my teeth.  I take a natural vit C and vit D every day and magnesium occasionally.  Not sure what else to do.  As for gaingin weight, I don't own a scale, but my clothes are getting tighter and I have a hard time buttoning some of my jeans.   I am trying to not eat eggs but without grains meals without eggs arent that easy..   Thios all might be from their consumption.

#100 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM

can you do an epsom salt soak?  It's a start, but you may need a bit more in the way of detox support down the line.

do you have any reason to believe that eggs might be a problem for you?  I'm not saying they are...it's too soon to tell.  BUT in my experience the inflammation usually lasts only a few days if all allergens are out.

Are you eating sugar in any form?  Has the amount changed?

I can explain the hunger (not that I'd be right-but it makes sense to me) but not the weight gain at this point unless there's a sensitivity or you are at a specific place in your cycle.

Are you "underweight" to begin with?

#101 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 AM

I can do an ES soak but it is always hard as I have to do it in a tote and 18 months ds makes a mess when I soak.  It is quite an ordeal that I stopped a few months ago even trying.

Eggs were out since when my dd was nursing she used to break out terible.  I weaned her and she still reacted.  Since we added them in a few weeks ago, she is rash free but gets really dry and scally on her back and I feel sick and my head hurts when I eat  them.   But I feel sick when I eat most food so I just deal with it. 

My sugar intake consists of a piece of fruit in the morning and perhaps a date or two.  I have been having eggs in maple syrup and berries ocasnally and it actually make me not as sick feeling when I eat eggs.

I am not underweight but could be if I didn't eat alot.  I am 5'5 and 113 lbs  (last time I weight a few months ago).

I seem to be hyjacking the thread but I really apprecieate the support.  This grain free thing is really the last attempt before I do something drastic like going vegan (if I dont feel better).

#102 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 AM

honestly I feel that eggs are the culprit after reading that.  I don't think sugar has much (if anything) to do with it.  I'm so sorry mama.  It's miserable to feel sick when you eat.

There's definitely some healing to be done there.  Have you ever had a time that it didn't make you feel sick to eat?  As in have you ever been able to sorta kinda isolate problematic foods?

I think going grain free will ultimately be fantastic for you, but it may need to also be egg free.  At least for a little bit.  I'm sorry!  What about the other big culprits...dairy and soy?  Would you be able to do a week or so gluten, grain, dairy, egg and soy free?  Does that appeal to you at all?  Many people find that just doing non starchy veggies and meat can soothe their systems and get them to a stable place.  Might be worth a (boring) shot.

#103 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 AM

I have been soy, dairy, egg and gluten free for a veery long time.  Well over a year (except for the ocasional slip up of gluten over thanksgiving).  I am only now going grain free but I am so limiten without grain and I am so hungry without it.  I just cant afford meat at every meal.  I only now added eggs in.  To be honest, I have never felt that great in a long time- I only assume it is the lyme as I react to most foods by horrible immflamation.   I think I need to start a different thread cause this is going off the track of paleo...

#104 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Day 1 of grain free. And I'm hungry :)

Breakfast: banana topped with peanut butter, some cheese, some mango. Typical except I usually have toast too.

Lunch: was already flabbergasted. DH bought a little package of lox because it was on sale, so I had 3 ounces of it.

Dinner will be soup with stew beef and vegetables. That will be fine, if I can make it that long. Lunch was the problem here. (Which, honestly, is not that new - I rarely get my act together for lunch).

One other problem is that I'm quite low on potatoes right now. I do another CSA pickup 1 week from today, and I will be going crazy on the potatoes. Meat is great but we can't afford much. The beef stew is one meat asset I had, plus I have one last stew bird in the freezer, plus a pound of ground beef. Usually we have meat once a month, but we're going to have to figure something else out. One hope that I had was to stretch meat with broth - so, a soup with vegetables but meat broth might feel a little heartier.

So, I've started but I have some real holes in this plan already. Oh, I had planned to make some hummus, but apparently I left chick peas off the grocery list this week, plus I realized we're out of carrots (we were going to eat the hummus off carrot sticks as a snack or lunch or something). So I'll get those tonight but... oy.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#105 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Hello everyone,

today is my second day without grains smile.gif

I've been thinking about it for a while, just had to wait for the right time. DS is on gut healing program and I've eliminated all grains from his diet and have decided to do it too to make it easier for him. Who knows, I may stick with it for good. 

DH eats grains, mainly sourdough rye bread I bake and this is going to be the hardest part for me, baking bread for him is going to be a torture, I just love sourdough! I think what I'll have to do is put the bread in the oven and leave the house for few hours so I don't smell the aroma of freshly baked bread.

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#106 of 157 Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Yeah, Joanna, baking bread by hand is a new skill for me and it's hard to set it aside :)

However, I've only committed to 6 weeks of grain free and will evaluate from there. I'd just go crazy otherwise.

#107 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

I think going grain free will ultimately be fantastic for you, but it may need to also be egg free.  At least for a little bit.  I'm sorry!  What about the other big culprits...dairy and soy?  Would you be able to do a week or so gluten, grain, dairy, egg and soy free?  Does that appeal to you at all?  Many people find that just doing non starchy veggies and meat can soothe their systems and get them to a stable place.  Might be worth a (boring) shot.

Well after a good hour of freaking out, I decided to give it one week of meat and non starchy veggies only (and fruit...).  Oh this is going to be boring.  Dh is in full support and even voulenteered to go shopping last night.    (not a very productive trip though but he was sweet trying).  Now dumb question of the day. but what veggies don't have starch?  I thought they all had some.

Joanna and lohaire- Welcome!  I used to be a bread junkie, but one day after going GF, I was making bread for my dh and I tried a bite and I felt totally horrib;e and I decided right there and then I wasn't in love with bread anymore.  Now I also have Dh buy his own bread and he gets some great local stuff, and eats it whan the kids are still in bed before work.

#108 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 AM

It is the weekend, and we like to have dessert with a movie.  Hit me with your best grain free desserts.  Anything chocolate is welcome especially.  Oh wait, is that allowed in this diet?

#109 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 AM

So for the veggies (yes, they do have starch, but some have much much less) I'd just stay within the brussel sprout, cabbage, broccoli, greens, onion, cucumber (yes I know it's technically a fruit) cauliflower etc.  I'd avoid carrots, potato, sweet potato etc. for now-just for the week.  I also think if I were you (with your history) and going this drastic anyway I'd avoid nightshades just to see.

It is super boring.  I'm sorry. 

#110 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 AM

I was hoping that sweet potato was non starchy.  Boo hoo.  I have a load of them cooking for the kids for breakfast, and I guess I will just eat the sausage.  So I just read somewhere that peas, beans, and lentils were high in starch.   What about winter squash?  Life without nightshade- how am I going to make it.  I nedd to be positive-  off to make a list of the foods I can eat to show myself that I am not going to starve.

#111 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 AM

BBMama - Maybe you should consider greatly increasing your fat intake to make up for the loss in calories from non-starchy veggies and fruits, and the limits to meat.  You can make a fat smoothie (melt coconut oil or butter, blend with some coconut milk or water, and berries). Slightly starchy veggies would be winter squash, carrots and parsnips.  How do you tolerate those?  Potatoes and sweet potatoes have the highest starch content.  But you may want to look into turnhips (they can be boiled and mashed) or other root veggies.  I would also suggest getting some soup bones and making a bone broth.  Marrow has lots of nutrients and this is realtively inexpensive.  I know this diet seems limiting at first glance.  But if you do list the foods you can eat and then think of the combinations you can try, there really are a lot of options.  Some paleo mamas in the past have relied heavily on coconut flour to satiate their baking desires.  Muffins or breads can be made with coconut flour.

Also, if you try to wrap your mind around the concept of healing, it may help.  Focus on the good foods that will heal you and don't dwell on the garbage foods out there.  HTH.

My progress is going well.  I've been GF for almost two weeks.  I'm eating a lot of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, mostly because I'm nursing and need the calories.  But I feel well and my appetite is finally starting to decrease a bit. 

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#112 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Day 1 of grain free. And I'm hungry :)

Breakfast: banana topped with peanut butter, some cheese, some mango. Typical except I usually have toast too.

Lunch: was already flabbergasted. DH bought a little package of lox because it was on sale, so I had 3 ounces of it.

Dinner will be soup with stew beef and vegetables. That will be fine, if I can make it that long. Lunch was the problem here. (Which, honestly, is not that new - I rarely get my act together for lunch).

One other problem is that I'm quite low on potatoes right now. I do another CSA pickup 1 week from today, and I will be going crazy on the potatoes. Meat is great but we can't afford much. The beef stew is one meat asset I had, plus I have one last stew bird in the freezer, plus a pound of ground beef. Usually we have meat once a month, but we're going to have to figure something else out. One hope that I had was to stretch meat with broth - so, a soup with vegetables but meat broth might feel a little heartier.

So, I've started but I have some real holes in this plan already. Oh, I had planned to make some hummus, but apparently I left chick peas off the grocery list this week, plus I realized we're out of carrots (we were going to eat the hummus off carrot sticks as a snack or lunch or something). So I'll get those tonight but... oy.

Do you have any eggs on hand? or cheese?  I would supplement and add some easy snacks for you with either one of those to get more protein in your system which will help with the hunger and withdrawl of grains.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#113 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Welcome to the new ladies!

I agree w/ upping the fat and elminating the intolerances.  Root veggies are great for filler if you can tolerate them.  I have been eating them a lot more as I need the extra calories as of late.

Dessert ideas- mmm- I don't know!  I used to do a mix of coco oil, cocoa and a bit of honey every day.  I should start that again.

I had been eating more fruit as of late.  Oh, my goodness, they are yummy but don't agree with me.  I am trying to cut them out again.  I have ate a ton of carrots today though without any of the ill effect I was getting from the fruit.    

We have been doing lots of soups as well which stretches the meat well, paired w/ lots of veggies it makes for a hearty and filling meal.

I have been indulging in hot herbal teas w/ some honey and coco mik also, which has been a nice treat.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#114 of 157 Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Bluebird mama--

Paleo dessert--I really like frozen fuit, coconut milk, vanilla and honey smoothies..I make them realllly thick like a milkshake. My kids like frozen bananas, cocoa power, coconut milk, and vanilla smoothies...it is like a chocolate shake. I also like apples sauteed in butter with some pie spices. You can add a little honey or vanilla to that.

Not to give you more decisions to make but, you could try only eating veggies/fruits off the GAPS list. Beets, squashes, and carrots are okay on that. I healed a lot when I did GAPS diet for 9 months. My digestive problems are way better and now I can eat eggs daily and tomatoes more often. It is really hard to have a limited diet. I tried to keep reminding myself that I was making a choice to do a diet instead of medical treatments and drugs. I will be praying for you.

Welcome New Mamas!:

I agree that if you are transitioning over to eat a lot of proteins/fat or you will be starving. Stuff with full fat coconut milk is very satisfying like curries or smoothies. I also like to make homemade beef stews and then melt a dollop of coconut oil into it.  Big salads with meat and/or nuts/avo/hard boiled eggs and lots of evoo dressing are filling as well.

Crunchy mama--I had to cut fruit down recently...I was making me just want to eat more sweet things and it was not feeling full either. I do good with berries and coconut milk but just eating fruits without lots of fat makes me hugrier and sets off cravings.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#115 of 157 Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 AM

Day 3 - already some changes!

So on Day 1 I had a lunch problem, but I just toughed it out to dinner and ate the soup. Soup filled me fine (though I did eat a lot of it - but then again, it was a soup with a lot of broth rather than a stew).

Day 2 was yesterday. Bananas and peanut butter and some cheese for breakfast, and then suddenly I had the urge to lift weights. Now that might be because I'd been using the elliptical trainer a bit lately, and getting up my energy slowly, but anyway - I had the urge, so I did it! First time since summer, and even then my work in summer was really half-hearted. Hopefully I can keep this up.

Lunch, leftover soup. Dinner was a little weird because we went out for the day (museum, returning some stuff my mom bought me, etc). We are seriously in a money crunch so I did not want to eat out for dinner, so I packed up a cooler with stuff - PB&J for DH and DD, and for all of us including me, banana and peanut butter (yes, AGAIN, I know but it does feel good to me and I don't crash after eating it, plus it was just something I could stick in a cooler in the car for the day), cheese, hard boiled eggs.

So that was all I had for dinner, and I should have been starving, but nope. Fine. Then when we got home, I should have been exhausted (going out is exhausting for me for several reasons, some of them understandable and some are things that need to be fixed/improved). But I spent 2 hours cleaning instead. Granted, by 9pm, I was done. But I didn't even want/need a snack or anything - normally I feel hungry a lot even if I don't eat (I pretty much never snack). Just some water.

I'm not restricting food calories or portions - I'm eating the amount I want. But this morning I was already curious to see if I'd lost any weight, and I did! About a pound and a half! Water weight, no doubt, I can't see how I lost a pound and a half of fat in 2 days. But a nice start, since I'd been trying to shake this 20ish pounds for years, and haven't budged. I'm not doing this to "diet" in the sense that I am trying to look a certain way (though I sure won't object if I look thinner) but I do consider this extra poundage to be evidence that something about my health is not quite right. 20 extra pounds is awesome and healthy on some women, but I have the grab-the-gut-fat-and-shake-it kind of extra weight (ah, I knew you wanted to know about that!).

#116 of 157 Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 AM

laohaire- that is awesome!  So, glad to hear you are feeling better.  The energy difference is always amazing to me as well.  It is like I am on crack sometimes and the desire to be active as well. 

I made it all do w/ no fruit and no tummy issues!  I did have 2 dried figs before bed and that was ok- the figs and dates seem less problematic for me.  I made a super yummy soup for lunch yesterday, just a basic stew w/ some soup bones I had, lots of good yummy fat in the broth, really made it filling.

I had a bday party last night.  I made some grain- gluten free cupcakes for the kids and I wanted to eat some but I refrained.  I knew they would make me feel like crap.  I really, really wanted some chocolate as well but all that was there was some cheap stuff w/ soy lecithin, so I resisted(which is huge for me).  I am getting some good Lindt when I go grocery shopping on Tuesday!

#117 of 157 Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 AM

That's great to hear Laohaire!!   Bananas are just too sweet for my tastes, but I could imagine it with PB that it would tone it down a bit.   I thought I would get back into the habit of posting meals again as I found that helpful when I first started on this thread... for ideas and etc.

Lunch - Tuna Salad (mayo, chopped up pickles, garlic, onion) on top of leftover green salad from previous dinner (with mushrooms, carrots and cukes) 

Dinner - Homemade Chili - chockful of bean (seriously 2 pts. each of black & kidney beans).  I would have added more veggies (sides onion & garlic) but we're getting down to the bare bones at the end of the month so, just lots of diced tomatoes and 1# of hamburger.  YUM!

Breakfast - Potato pancakes, and either fried eggs or scrambled (depending upon the kiddos) and some sausage.  

Lunch/Dinner tonight (FOOTBALL NIGHT!) - Chicken wings (This is without any breading, but you can use nut meal if you like for extra crispy/crunch), Hummus, Leftover Chili or Split Pea Soup, Homemade babyback Ribs, Roasted Squash and a huge Green Salad.

Hope everyone will have a wonderful day today! biggrinbounce.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#118 of 157 Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

I thought I would get back into the habit of posting meals again as I found that helpful when I first started on this thread... for ideas and etc.

That is very helpful, indeed  smile.gif

Lunch - Tuna Salad (mayo, chopped up pickles, garlic, onion) on top of leftover green salad from previous dinner (with mushrooms, carrots and cukes) 

Dinner - Homemade Chili - chockful of bean (seriously 2 pts. each of black & kidney beans).  I would have added more veggies (sides onion & garlic) but we're getting down to the bare bones at the end of the month so, just lots of diced tomatoes and 1# of hamburger.  YUM!

Breakfast - Potato pancakes, and either fried eggs or scrambled (depending upon the kiddos) and some sausage.  

Would love the recipe for potato pancakes!

Lunch/Dinner tonight (FOOTBALL NIGHT!) - Chicken wings (This is without any breading, but you can use nut meal if you like for extra crispy/crunch), Hummus, Leftover Chili or Split Pea Soup, Homemade babyback Ribs, Roasted Squash and a huge Green Salad.

Great menu for Football night!

I've decided to go raw for 3 weeks, I'll be eating fruit, veggies,seeds and nuts, I guess I should check the vegan subforum.

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#119 of 157 Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM

Hi ladies,  I was wondering if anyone on this thread discusses the GAPS diet.  For those who don't know it is similar to paleo eating with several differences (no potatoes or rice), some other restrictions too.   Just wondering since it seems so many folks go grain free for health reasons, but without cutting out some 'other' things from the diet some folks don't get better.

Just wondering.  I do the GAPS diet and would be happy to discuss on a different thread, but here seems more helpful to people.

not all who wander are lost
#120 of 157 Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Hi ladies - last night was bad. I had a tasting dinner last night to test recipes for a restaurant i'm involved in opening. Last nights theme was sandwiches and dessert. By the time i got home i seriously felt high! We had something like 8 sandwiches and 14 desserts on the table and i had to taste every single one. About halfway through sandwiches i realized this wasnt going to work and settled w 1-2 bites w the bread and then peeling off the bread and eating the filling. Regardless though i'm back in major detox/cravings mode today.

I will say though (to toot my own horn) that all 3 of my dishes made it on the night's "favorites" list. And both sandwiches would be GF-friendly w/out the bread (nothing to be done about the dessert though).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page