Grain Free/Primal/Paleo in January 2011!!! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just ate a serious amount of fat :) Usually I make gravy from chicken drippings but I'm grain-free, and having no thickener makes it hard to enjoy the gravy (not for taste but just for getting it to stick to whatever I put it on, lol!). This time I just kept the drippings and made some bone broth right on top of it. OMG! The amount of fat on this soup... it looks like restaurant soup where you see these pools of fat/oil on top. And very yummy :) That soup was probably 50% fat!

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#152 of 157 Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Yum- my soup usually very fatty as well!  It gets that hard level that encases the top in the frig!  Oh, I thought of another fat adder for you- w/ your pb mix in some EV coco oil, yummy and extra calories easily!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#153 of 157 Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM

I think tonight I am going to do some asian stirfry w/ ground beef and cabbage, carrots, and peas- w/ some sesame seeds-lots of garlic, ginger, some red pepper and my coconut aminos.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#154 of 157 Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 AM

Laohaire, I would be starving with what you wrote you ate. It could be that I am nursing my active 19 month old.

I agree about upping the protein a ton.

Here is what I ate yesterday

pre-breakfast- 1 apple, few squares of 90% lindt chocolate and a tablespoon or cashew butter
breakfast- 2 chicken sausages, and a giant serving or peas cooked in the sausage drippings and extra beef fat
Lunch- ground beef with white beans and steamed kale on the side
snack- more chocolate and some dried fruit
dinner- bone broth soup- maybe some meat or beans and lots of veggies. (example- mushroom cauliflower chick pea soup- tastes like heaven)
If I am hungry later, perhaps some grapes or some hogendaz mango sorbet

If I ate eggs, I would have them for breakfast and eat 4 or 5 to feel satisfied. Just one would bug the heck out of me.
#155 of 157 Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 AM

Can we talk about paleo kids? My ds is 19 months sill nursing (my milk never fattened him up anyway) and eats regular meals with me. He really liked his rice and potatoes and he hardly does that anymore. We are on a very limited diet without dairy anyway. He has always been skinny, but he seems to be growing and thinning more. How do you keep your children from wasting away from eating a paleo diet?

Just a note, I have noticed that my ds's crowded lower teeth are all of a sudden opening up, so his body is responding to this diet!!!
#156 of 157 Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 AM

My older 2 (6.5) and almost 4 do not eat Paleo- they get oats 1-2 a week and the same w/ rice, corn tortilla chips or popcorn on occasion.  The baby I try to keep grainfree- she did get a bit of rice off the floor the other day though.  She seems to be growing fine, we are gluten, dairy, soy free and as I said she eats what I eat so grainfree.  We do eat potatoes, eggs, I smother everything in fat, coconut oil, tallow, lard, whatever!  She loves coco milk smoothies and homemade mayo straight, guacamole, she seems to eat well and a lot, a lot more than the others did!

#157 of 157 Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

I would suggest sneaking fat in wherever you can to help with paleo kids.  Maybe more starchy carbs can help, too. 

My DD is not paleo, although she was when she had food intolerances as a baby/toddler.  We are trying to get her eating better, such as I stopped buying any snack foods from the store.  She eats rice, drinks raw milk, eats popcorn, waffles, and tortilla chips.  If we are at a restaurant, she sometimes eats bread.  I'm trying to keep her grains low, like 1-2 servings per day since I don't think she will ever give up her morning waffle.  But she loves fruit and will snack on veggies.  Unfortunately, the only way she gets eggs into her is in baked goods.  She will not touch an egg any other way.  I think the raw milk benefits her as it actually gets some protein and fat into her system.  But at $15 a gallon here, she ends up drinking about half plain organic ultra pasteurized milk (although I hate her drinking this for obvious reasons). 

DH and I went grocery shopping today.  We spent $70 on produce.  Granted, $10 was for fruit for DD's birthday fruit salad (her request for a special birthday dinner).  I'm in shock, not that we bought so much in the produce section, but that the price of everything is sky high.  Food is so expensive these days.  I really can't wait until I can get my garden started at this new house and we can get 1/4 cow to stock our freezer.  But I seriously feel the crunch in trying to eat well.  I've been scanning coupons and if I really tried, I could fill my pantry with a lot of crap for half of what I'm paying for decent food.  There always seem to be coupons for cereals and snack foods.  Alas.  I keep having to remind myself that money I spent on good food is money I will not spend on doctor's visits down the road.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page